Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #8 - PCGS Please read this thread and consider the H.o.F

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2020 8:13PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Okay Roosie fans, it's time for another installment of Roosie Talk #8. All other Roosie Talk threads are still active for archival conversation, pictures and fun info on our favorite little coin. This time I have historic news on the Roosvelt Dime.

I usually start another new Roosie Talk thread when something important has occured. The reason for this thread is of vital importance to this series.

The Halcyon Collection has listed some #1 Roosevelt Dime sets that are some of the best sets you will ever see in this series.

Link to set below: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-major-sets/roosevelt-dimes-fb-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-proof-1946-present/alltimeset/169601

The 1946-Date Complete set w/Major Varieties Business and Proof, including the extremely rare and unique Proof 1975-No/S PCGS PR 68 pop (1/0). As of this writing The Halcyon Collection is the 1st set to have every single Roosevelt Dime ever made including the 4 No/S error dimes in the proof series. This set in my opinion is now worthy of PCGS giving the title of H.o.F. and it should receive it this year. PCGS, if you are reading this, MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

This set has 30 of 48 silver dimes in MS68FB, and 15 of the remaining 18 in MS67+FB. All 48 BS dimes are in MS67FB or higher, and the silver set is now #1 over D. L. Hansen's set by a wide margin of 0.12 set ratings and 0.03 in the GPA. That is huge!

The clad series from 1965-Date has some of the rarest clad dimes known. This set is currently only missing 2, just 2 FB dimes. I believe this will be the first ever complete FB set. Another reason for it to be a PCGS H.o.F. set. It includes 25 POP (1/0) dimes. Unbeatable and unbelieveable.

The early Halcyon Proofs 1950-1964 is missing only 2 DCams, but every coin is graded an incredible 68 or higher. Totally amazing!
The 1968-date proofs are PCGS H.o.F. worthy which includes the following coins:

1968-No/S PR68Cam (8/0)
1970-No/S PR69Cam (14/0)
1975-No/S PR 68 (1/0)
1983-No/S PR70DCam (9/0)

I've been collecting this series for going on 20 years. I have never seen a set such as this one and I look at it frequently. Collecting this series is easy as everyone says. "Hey if you want to get started in coin collecting you should start with Roosevelt dimes, they're plentiful and easy in high grades." I heard it a 100 times. Sure I would agree with that comment. If ur looking for MS coins in average grades such as 64-65-66, sure there are tons of them. BUT, to put a set of high end, world class dimes such as this takes countless contacts, dozens of collectors submitting dimes to PCGS countless crossovers, regrades and the cooperation of PCGS. Not to mention bidding and winning auctions and frankly having the $$$ to get the coins. It is time consuming and frankly it is not a 1 person job. The Halcyon set is 100% worthy of being the first Roosevelt dime set to be inducted into the PCGS H.o.F. and it should happen this year.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

I just saw the halcyon silver FB set posted and my jaw dropped. I have never seen so many Silver top pops in one set before, and that includes the ones I've built over the years. Couple the silvers with the clads and the Proofs and it's mind boggling. What an accomplishment. Congrats to Halcyon and YES I agree this set is HOF worthy. I'm on my knees bowing down.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed! Most Impressive! I hope Halcyon never sells while Hansen is around.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

John is a true gentleman and his staggering collection is (obviously) second to none. More than worthy of the HOF!

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there images associated with the set? If not, it seems folks are placing a collection of numbers in the HoF.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited June 25, 2020 8:26PM

Tom
    There were images and then they disappeared. I think PC in working on the issue now. It is not John’s intention to not show images.

Mitch. Thank you for the kind words. But I have to give a BIG shout out to one of the behind the scenes players. Paul Gunsallus (Stooge). I was on vacation when the 75 no S deal went down and one of my calls was to Paul. John’s accomplishment is second to none, but as Paul stated above this was a team effort and Paul was at the forefront. I thank you Paul for all your help. John will be posting shortly. Again...... The Halcyon Roosevelt Dime set is second to none and HOF bound.

Nick

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I negligently did omit Paul. Not just behind the scenes on the 75 No S Dime, but, the OP on (8) Roosie threads spanning the years! And, a leading authority on understanding all the Roosie Dime series coins! Outstanding job Paul!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I just woke to find these kind words and I'm blushing of course. Thanks for the pat on the back fellas, I appreciate it. <3B)

Later, Paul.
    edited June 26, 2020 6:30PM

Roosie Gang Rules

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats John!

What a terrific set you've put together, one I doubt will ever be passed. It's also an honor to know a few of my old coins now reside in the Top Set. I've asked my wife to place on my headstone:

"I knew, and ate dinner with Big John"

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

@Khayman said:

BTW - I don't know where the 'Big John' thing started - maybe it was Danny. It's kinda like calling a giant mob enforcer "Tiny" - I'm not big at all!

Ok, "Tiny" it is...

Brad Pitt

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

How Roosie Royalty Acts:

Danny speaks softly and carries a big stick: John speaks softly and carries a bludgeon; Nick speaks softly and fells redwoods for toothpicks when he’s bored. 😉

Love you guys.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

@rainbowroosie said:
    How Roosie Royalty Acts:

Danny speaks softly and carries a big stick: John speaks softly and carries a bludgeon; Nick speaks softly and fells redwoods for toothpicks when he’s bored. 😉

Love you guys.

Nick speaks softly? >:)B):)

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

The Rosie Gang! I love um all...

Dan

@TomB said:
    Are there images associated with the set? If not, it seems folks are placing a collection of numbers in the HoF.

Images are now up. Looks like the issue has been resolved. You can click on the link in Paul's first post to see pics of quite a few of John's dimes including a pic of the 75 No-S Proof Dime.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went through all of the pretty pictures. Wow, super stuff there!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

@TomB said:

Images are now up. Looks like the issue has been resolved. You can click on the link in Paul's first post to see pics of quite a few of John's dimes including a pic of the 75 No-S Proof Dime.

Fantastic! Thank you, those are some coins!!!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@Rob41281 , those are all really nice additions! The 51-S is probably my personal favorite of the bunch.

Love the "46-S. That's my kinda coin.

Later, Paul.
  • DANNYDANNY Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

All nice!!. I just love these little spheres. :);)<3

Okay, I have been going back and forth for a few weeks now about selling off some or all of my Roosevelt Dimes. I really don't have a reason other than I have lost serious interest in it. I believe my collecting interests have shifted and I'm at a stand still with my collection.
    For now I want to keep the base set of my silvers 1946-1964.
    So, I'm offering my FS Varieties and my clads 1965-Date here for anyone who wants to possibly add to their sets.
    None of my clads have been back for regrade, nor have any of my Varieties. I have a few that certainly deserves upgrades and will give my opinion so.
    Here is my set:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-major-sets/roosevelt-dimes-fb-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1946-present/publishedset/157979

Later, Paul.
  • MartinMartin Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will get the fever back. Good luck with the sales

Martin

Paul. Think carefully about this.

The other day, a thought entered my mind... I want my silver set in the top 5 again! The thought came out of nowhere. I started missing many of the coins I “let go”. Don’t let this happen to you Paul. 😂

Wondercoin

P.S. anyone have any smoking hot deals on Silver dimes that would improve my Floundering set? 🤣

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

PM sent

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent

@wondercoin said:
    P.S. anyone have any smoking hot deals on Silver dimes that would improve my Floundering set? 🤣

Hey Mitch,

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I might be willing to part with some of the coins in my backup set:

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-specialty-sets/roosevelt-dimes-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1946-1964/publishedset/212361

PM me if you see anything of interest.

“The Halcyon Collection - Roosevelt Dimes FB Basic Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1946-Present)
    Wow! Not only does this set contain 27 single finest known coins, it has a large number of coins that are tied for finest known as well. With over 250 coins required, this set has a Set Rating of 70.71.”

Congratulations to John on this prestigious award this year! Once again, we’ll done.

Unless I missed it, it doesn’t appear that there were any “Hall of Fame” awards this year for either classic or modern sets?

Wondercoin

Mitch
    isn't that last years award announcement 2019. I don't think the 2020 awards are out yet

“Mitch
    isn't that last years award announcement 2019. I don't think the 2020 awards are out yet”

What an idiot I am sometimes! Lol.

Wondercoin

beautiful coin.. Did you submit raw? Was it upgrade?

Just wanted to say a few more things here. I've answered all PM's as best I could and hope everyone is happy.
    I'm not giving up on Roosevelt Dimes just so you know and selling is something I find realitively easier than when I sold my first set to Nick. I see that coin collectors are temporary stewards and it's nice to see others get the enjoyment out of what I collect.

Danny made a deal for 25 coins. It gives me nothing but great pleasure to see his set grow and become a MAJOR contender for one of the all time great sets. He is very pleased with the deal as I am. Just so you know I suck at coming up with prices for coins to sell. Not sure how Wondercoin does it everyday but hey, he's gifted. After I did the math, I got 1 coin back in trade. A very difficult 1963 MS66+FB and made $13.75 overall from coins bought-to-sold. I pride myself in not losing my shirt and making a coin in the process (No pun intended).

All dimes go out on Monday and I will PM with tracking #'s.
    I'm planning on making a separate thread for remaing coins to sell here in this forum as we are allowed 1 selling thread d/t the slow forum.

As Harry Potter would say...Look for my OWL!

Later, Paul.

Paul:
    You are such a gentleman. Very fair with me on your ask prices. Of the 27 coins
    that I had an interest in, you sold me 25. (And we didn't even haggle over price.) I passed on one coin, 1982D 67FB,
    because we both agree that the Pop of this coin is really screwed up for some reason, which makes pricing impossible. The other coin that I passed on was because I have an opportunity to buy it elsewhere....Thank you so very much for your kindness, and willingness to help out a fellow Roosie collector. Stay safe my friend....

Regards,
    Danny

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DANNY said:

Raw and went 7+ first time through. Might try for an 8.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!

@mach1ne said:

@DANNY said:

Raw and went 7+ first time through. Might try for an 8.

My 54D did the same. Maybe we should begin a non-FB top set thread to share...few seem to care what we low life's make. ;)

• KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Not true, Jim! We all love Roosies equally. I’ve spent a lot of time building up my non-FB set to #1 and usually find that there are higher quality non-band coins out there with equally awesome toning. Keep up the hunt!

let me know when someone makes an MS69 silver no-band

@Khayman said:
    Not true, Jim! We all love Roosies equally. I’ve spent a lot of time building up my non-FB set to #1 and usually find that there are higher quality non-band coins out there with equally awesome toning. Keep up the hunt!

Note the "wink" attached to the end of the statement. It was said in jest... B)

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some recent additions to the registry set that were just TV’d. Grades in order of the pics.
    67+
    67FB

Nice group, Rob!

Yes, nice group indeed. Not much to not like...

Love the obverse toning on the 1961D, my kind of look.

Someone needed to bump our thread, so here's a coin from my Raw Set I'm thinking about grading. Something about the Purple that I like.

@lablover said:
    Someone needed to bump our thread, so here's a coin from my Raw Set I'm thinking about grading. Something about the Purple that I like.

Ya I think its high time to give that guy a nice plastic tomb.

Later, Paul.

@lablover , Nice, I'm a big fan of blue and purple toning! I'm thinking that coin might get treated better at NGC than PCGS, but what do I know? :)