Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #8 - PCGS Please read this thread and consider the H.o.F

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big Congrats, John! B)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2020 9:52AM

@onlyroosies said:
    Check out the Halcyon silver set. John now has a complete run from 1946PDS through 1954PDS all graded MS68FB, lacking only the 1953P.

Congrats John on your new additions

He has all but 2 dimes in a 7+FB. Incredible.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Congrats "BIG JOHN" on such a great achievement. Absolutely incredible A set of Roosies beyond compare.
    A consider myself a lucky man to be a small part of the "Roosie Gang".
    Danny

• Options
    KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Thanks, everyone - really appreciated. And I couldn't have gotten to this point without all the help!

Here's hoping that FUN is still in the cards - I need my Roosie Gang fix!

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Khayman said:
    Thanks, everyone - really appreciated. And I couldn't have gotten to this point without all the help!

Here's hoping that FUN is still in the cards - I need my Roosie Gang fix!

Hey buddy; guns at the ready! Got several new toys to play with...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

I checked PCGS has my submission. Hoping for some really nice coins... I used to submit ONLY Roosevelt Modern Dimes. This order has cents nickles Dimes Quarters Half dollars and a Saq. Dollar. Any ideas on turn around times?

Dan
  • Options

I have a REGRADE WITH GOLD SHIELD submission in at PCGS of 8 coins..They received the coins on July 9th.. These 8 coins have been in the "BEING IMAGED" stage in my account status for over three WEEKS.. PCGS has had these coins for over SIX WEEKS... I can wait as long as it takes, however, this seems a little slow to me.
    Hope you have a quicker turn-around time.
    Danny

• Options

I'm getting ready to send in a reconsideration of about 20 dimes w/reholder and TV, plus a raw sub of about 20 or so coins. They may all be dimes, not sure. I do have a Morgan that was in an old blue holder (1st Gen) in an MS64 slab that came back MS63. Clearly this coin went in the wrong direction as her sister coin went MS65.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened to the Robinette collection of Roosies? It ascended to #1 in the Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1946-64) category, and then disappeared. It does not seem to have been retired, either.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2020 1:07PM

@CoinJunkie said:
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened to the Robinette collection of Roosies? It ascended to #1 in the Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1946-64) category, and then disappeared. It does not seem to have been retired, either.

The Robinette #1 Set is listed at #69; Got to scroll way down. There are a few holes in the set, which may indicate he pulled the coins for upgrade and has not placed them back. Just a guess...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on man. Let’s see some roosies

Martin

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    I just bought a Roosie. Feel good about finally keeping one! Lol.

Wondercoin

Ok for fun I’m going to guess PR69Cam. Thinking you wouldn’t settle for anything less. ;)

Nice dime by the way.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I’ll guess 68CAM.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2020 5:59AM

“Ok for fun I’m going to guess PR69Cam. Thinking you wouldn’t settle for anything less. ;)
    Nice dime by the way.”

Oh stop Paul! You know that grade doesn’t exist currently! And, even though Justin tells me that is how he graded it, I don’t want to get my hopes up!

So, tonedRoosies told us the grade of course.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin I honestly though the pop top for that gem was a 69C, my bad, but it looks so so very nice it has to be a 9.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Looks like Hansen is back to collecting Roosies again.
    He just added 5 Top Pop clads to his set that he won last night (Oct. 20) in
    the Heritage auction.
    I was the underbidder on a couple of them. The bid amount just got out of my range.
    Any thoughts?

Danny

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

Once Hansen fills a hole with a top pop the next one to come out usually sells at a nice discount.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just noticed that Robinette was the winner of that top pop 61P MS68 Roosie at GC last weekend. I figured at least a couple of the top three set holders (Robinette, Hansen, Halcyon) would be bidding, and that consequently the price would be noteworthy. I guess $7k+ all-in doesn't seem too surprising given the circumstances. Congrats to the winner for solidifying his #1 ranking.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up a few silver Roosies at Heritage, mostly for my 2nd set. I did get the one I was after for my 1st set. Happy about that, especially at 50% of my bid. Very nice clads available. Just way out of my budget. 1st time participating at Heritage.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2020 10:37AM

Nick threw in one of the mega rare PCGS clad dimes (I think for free or $50) into a coin deal we did (20?) years ago because it wasn’t really FB in his view. Not even close. I sold it on Teletrade years later and it disappeared for 15 years or so. Now, it comes back and sells for Moon money. It’s still not FB and never will be. A silver dime that also recently sold - somewhat similar story. When one puts these types of coins into their sets it RUINS the integrity of the collection. It’s hard to let them go and not chase plastic, but if one wants to build a world class set these coins can’t be in the set. No ifs, ands or buts.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Wondercoin or Nick:
    What is the date of the "Full Band" clad dime that you are referring to, that sold for "Moon Money"?
    Danny

• Options

Many Roosie Dimes that sold in the Heritage auctions over the past 3-4 days came from
    the "Maltese Collection". Anyone ever heard of it? What was the PCGS Registry set name, if listed?
    Who is/was he/she? I would be interested in knowing more about this person.
    Danny

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a good time to sell some clad dimes? I have not been keeping up with auction trends.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Is this a good time to sell some clad dimes? I have not been keeping up with auction trends.

If you have a PCGS graded pop 1/0 or 2/0 FB then yes.

• Options

@DANNY said:
    Many Roosie Dimes that sold in the Heritage auctions over the past 3-4 days came from
    the "Maltese Collection". Anyone ever heard of it? What was the PCGS Registry set name, if listed?
    Who is/was he/she? I would be interested in knowing more about this person.
    Danny

I have never heard of the Maltese Collection.

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Sigh. Clad dimes still strong on ebay. And sniping is also alive and well...lol

• Options

Just curious about the 2021 Fun Show as it relates to the Roosie gang.
    Any information from the other Roosie guys would be much appreciated.
    Danny

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Danny,
    I think most people will hesitate about attending this year. I have an idea to host a Roosie Dinner on zoom Friday night that week. Roosie friends could dine virtually with each other. If anyone thinks this is a good idea, I’ll book a Zoom reservation and give you the details. I’d sure like to trade some stories and see everyone. We can also each have an “Onlyroosies worthy” bottle of wine to drink safely at home. Anyone interested please speak up. 😀

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

Count me in. I will pass on the wine, but will have a nice ice-cold Coors beer.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2020 4:26PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    Danny,
    I think most people will hesitate about attending this year. I have an idea to host a Roosie Dinner on zoom Friday night that week. Roosie friends could dine virtually with each other. If anyone thinks this is a good idea, I’ll book a Zoom reservation and give you the details. I’d sure like to trade some stories and see everyone. We can also each have an “Onlyroosies worthy” bottle of wine to drink safely at home. Anyone interested please speak up. 😀

I can't eat a "virtual" Vito's Center Cut Filet, and feast on the Seafood Tray. Nor, can I drink a great bottle of wine with my friends. Dang Virus. :'(

I need 'in-person' Roosie Hugs. If there's no show guess I'll spend the money visiting the King of Roosies (Nick) in CA.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2020 5:16PM

Oh, just had an idea.

If there's no January FUN Show, what if we all Roosie Guy's fly to CA and stay with Nick?
    Now that, would be a FUN Show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who's in?

I'm all over it....

• Options

I would love to have you all. Unfortunately We will be out of town visiting family most of Jan. May would be a great month

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    I would love to have you all. Unfortunately We will be out of town visiting family most of Jan. May would be a great month

Great, we’ll all camp out at your plane in May. I’ll sleep hugging your ferns.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2020 6:34PM

Great, May it is. I'll be hugging Nick, if January Fun does not happen.

Who's joining me in the Roosie bed?

• Options

All of you guys need to come to Kentucky in May.
    I invited Nick for a visit earlier this year.
    He put the visit on his "Bucket List". The rest of you need to do the same.
    I can book you a room in a REAL CASTLE. No kidding!!
    Google it; Kentucky Castle.
    It is about 20 minutes from my home.
    I could take all of you on the "Kentucky Bourbon Trail Tour".
    You can Google it also.
    Take a personal tour of most all of the bourbon distilleries in central Kentucky.
    Over 90% of the bourbon produce IN THE WORLD, is made within one hours drive of my home.
    I guess I should also mention that my small hometown of Paris, KY. is the horse racing capital of the world.
    All of you guys would want to stay and not go back home.

Danny

• Options

I live about one hour north of Danny and I agree that it is a beautiful area! The Bourbon Trail Tour is an absolute can't miss if you like the sip!

Lonnie

• Options

I'm in

• Options

I’m in too. We can get a cabin at the castle for $595/night. Sleeps up to eight people.

• Options

Count me in too....

• Options
    KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I'm in as well - can't wait. But any chance we can get locks on the rooms in the cabin? I don't want Gary sleepwalking trying to find a sundae at 2:00am and mistake my room for his.

Danny - can you hook us up with some good Kentucky 'cue to go with the Bourbon?

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danny, does the invitation extend to the new guys ?

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

By May we will likely have a vaccine.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

TOM: Of course you are invited.
    I can have my wife make reservations for a cabin at the KY. Castle if that is what you guys prefer.
    The Castle is as good as it gets around here. YOU ARE TREATED LIKE ROYALTY FROM THE TIME YOU GET
    OUT OF YOUR CAR. It is just a couple of miles from the Lexington Bluegrass Airport, and is located right at the start point
    of the Ky. Bourbon Trail.
    JOHN: Central KY. is also known for some of the very best BBQ that you will ever taste.
    Served to you right off the huge Smoker, that is usually located just outside the entrance to the restaurant.

I can take you guys on a tour of Claiborne Farm, (Google it), the most famous horse farm in THE WORLD.
    Located about one mile from my house.
    My wife was the babysitter for the family children there, way back in the 1970's.
    The farm where Secretariat (Triple Crown Winner) is buried, and where the movie of same name was filmed. The only horse to ever be buried in total, in a special made casket. (Usually the head is
    all that is buried).

I will need to check on the castle cabin reservation asap. This place is usually booked up well in advance, due to the
    very limited number of rooms.

I will let you guys know about dates after I check on availability.
    You guys are in for a real treat if this trip becomes reality.
    I am already excited.
    Danny

• Options
    edited December 2, 2020 11:10AM

I could take all of you on the "Kentucky Bourbon Trail Tour">

I'm taking bets on how many sampling stops we can make before Nick falls down.

• Options

Hey lets move this to a group email string. Don't want to clog up PC's board

Nick

• Options

I will send Nick an email with information. He can then forward to ALL persons.
    I do not believe that I have everyones email address, and I do not want to leave anyone out.
    I hope that we can make this happen.
    You guys will have so much fun.
    Danny

• Options

@lablover said:

I could take all of you on the "Kentucky Bourbon Trail Tour">

I'm taking bets on how many sampling stops we can make before Nick falls down.

I’ll bet for one sampling stop before nick can barely walk.