Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #8 - PCGS Please read this thread and consider the H.o.F

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2020 8:13PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Okay Roosie fans, it's time for another installment of Roosie Talk #8. All other Roosie Talk threads are still active for archival conversation, pictures and fun info on our favorite little coin. This time I have historic news on the Roosvelt Dime.

I usually start another new Roosie Talk thread when something important has occured. The reason for this thread is of vital importance to this series.

The Halcyon Collection has listed some #1 Roosevelt Dime sets that are some of the best sets you will ever see in this series.

Link to set below: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-major-sets/roosevelt-dimes-fb-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-proof-1946-present/alltimeset/169601

The 1946-Date Complete set w/Major Varieties Business and Proof, including the extremely rare and unique Proof 1975-No/S PCGS PR 68 pop (1/0). As of this writing The Halcyon Collection is the 1st set to have every single Roosevelt Dime ever made including the 4 No/S error dimes in the proof series. This set in my opinion is now worthy of PCGS giving the title of H.o.F. and it should receive it this year. PCGS, if you are reading this, MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

This set has 30 of 48 silver dimes in MS68FB, and 15 of the remaining 18 in MS67+FB. All 48 BS dimes are in MS67FB or higher, and the silver set is now #1 over D. L. Hansen's set by a wide margin of 0.12 set ratings and 0.03 in the GPA. That is huge!

The clad series from 1965-Date has some of the rarest clad dimes known. This set is currently only missing 2, just 2 FB dimes. I believe this will be the first ever complete FB set. Another reason for it to be a PCGS H.o.F. set. It includes 25 POP (1/0) dimes. Unbeatable and unbelieveable.

The early Halcyon Proofs 1950-1964 is missing only 2 DCams, but every coin is graded an incredible 68 or higher. Totally amazing!
The 1968-date proofs are PCGS H.o.F. worthy which includes the following coins:

1968-No/S PR68Cam (8/0)
1970-No/S PR69Cam (14/0)
1975-No/S PR 68 (1/0)
1983-No/S PR70DCam (9/0)

I've been collecting this series for going on 20 years. I have never seen a set such as this one and I look at it frequently. Collecting this series is easy as everyone says. "Hey if you want to get started in coin collecting you should start with Roosevelt dimes, they're plentiful and easy in high grades." I heard it a 100 times. Sure I would agree with that comment. If ur looking for MS coins in average grades such as 64-65-66, sure there are tons of them. BUT, to put a set of high end, world class dimes such as this takes countless contacts, dozens of collectors submitting dimes to PCGS countless crossovers, regrades and the cooperation of PCGS. Not to mention bidding and winning auctions and frankly having the $$$ to get the coins. It is time consuming and frankly it is not a 1 person job. The Halcyon set is 100% worthy of being the first Roosevelt dime set to be inducted into the PCGS H.o.F. and it should happen this year.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭

I just saw the halcyon silver FB set posted and my jaw dropped. I have never seen so many Silver top pops in one set before, and that includes the ones I've built over the years. Couple the silvers with the clads and the Proofs and it's mind boggling. What an accomplishment. Congrats to Halcyon and YES I agree this set is HOF worthy. I'm on my knees bowing down.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed! Most Impressive! I hope Halcyon never sells while Hansen is around.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

John is a true gentleman and his staggering collection is (obviously) second to none. More than worthy of the HOF!

• TomBTomB Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there images associated with the set? If not, it seems folks are placing a collection of numbers in the HoF.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited June 25, 2020 8:26PM

Tom
    There were images and then they disappeared. I think PC in working on the issue now. It is not John’s intention to not show images.

Mitch. Thank you for the kind words. But I have to give a BIG shout out to one of the behind the scenes players. Paul Gunsallus (Stooge). I was on vacation when the 75 no S deal went down and one of my calls was to Paul. John’s accomplishment is second to none, but as Paul stated above this was a team effort and Paul was at the forefront. I thank you Paul for all your help. John will be posting shortly. Again...... The Halcyon Roosevelt Dime set is second to none and HOF bound.

Nick

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I negligently did omit Paul. Not just behind the scenes on the 75 No S Dime, but, the OP on (8) Roosie threads spanning the years! And, a leading authority on understanding all the Roosie Dime series coins! Outstanding job Paul!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I just woke to find these kind words and I'm blushing of course. Thanks for the pat on the back fellas, I appreciate it. <3B)

Later, Paul.
    edited June 26, 2020 6:30PM

Roosie Gang Rules

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats John!

What a terrific set you've put together, one I doubt will ever be passed. It's also an honor to know a few of my old coins now reside in the Top Set. I've asked my wife to place on my headstone:

"I knew, and ate dinner with Big John"

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭

@Khayman said:

BTW - I don't know where the 'Big John' thing started - maybe it was Danny. It's kinda like calling a giant mob enforcer "Tiny" - I'm not big at all!

Ok, "Tiny" it is...

Brad Pitt

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭✭

How Roosie Royalty Acts:

Danny speaks softly and carries a big stick: John speaks softly and carries a bludgeon; Nick speaks softly and fells redwoods for toothpicks when he’s bored. 😉

Love you guys.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowroosie said:
    How Roosie Royalty Acts:

Danny speaks softly and carries a big stick: John speaks softly and carries a bludgeon; Nick speaks softly and fells redwoods for toothpicks when he’s bored. 😉

Love you guys.

Nick speaks softly? >:)B):)

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

The Rosie Gang! I love um all...

Dan