Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post your favorite overdate

2»

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven.... A definite approval of that 1829 half.....Very nice indeed. Cheers, RickO

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

I want to add an interesting tidbit: 1) In 1908 both the No Motto and w/Motto coins were, 2) The hub used to create the overdate coin was left over from the 1908 No Motto issue, 3) Only w/Motto coins were struck in 1909, 4) The resultant 9/8 coin is with Motto. In essence this coin is a 1909/8 No Motto/Motto. Yeah, yeah, I know, but if you squint real hard you'll see where I'm coming from. ;-)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2020 8:15PM

@jayPem said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    @Zoins Why would you crap on a great idea for a thread?

No intention of damaging the thread and I hope most people have a sense of humor.

That's actually a famous overdate with a collector following. Do you know what it is?

I wouldn't mind knowing what it is..?

It's a 1794-1994 Gallery Mint Museum piece by Ron Landis and Joe Rust. On the reverse at 6 o'clock you can see Ron Landis's monogram. It was struck in 1994 and over 25 years old.

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    @Zoins Why would you crap on a great idea for a thread?

No intention of damaging the thread and I hope most people have a sense of humor.

That's actually a famous overdate with a collector following. Do you know what it is?

No idea about the coin you posted. Just felt forum members could bring great examples to this thread and they have.

I consider it a great example :+1:

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

@renman95 said:

I want to add an interesting tidbit: 1) In 1908 both the No Motto and w/Motto coins were, 2) The hub used to create the overdate coin was left over from the 1908 No Motto issue, 3) Only w/Motto coins were struck in 1909, 4) The resultant 9/8 coin is with Motto. In essence this coin is a 1909/8 No Motto/Motto. Yeah, yeah, I know, but if you squint real hard you'll see where I'm coming from. ;-)

Also, the 1909/8 is more common than the 1909.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 @Nysoto said:

The 1805/4 T-11 came later in the year from the new lower-relief hub. This was a blundered date as the hub that sunk the working die did not exist in 1804, the die was made in mid-1805:

There it is!
    This is possibly my favorite overdate. I've yet to aquire one and that may be because the 103 in one of it's terminal die states is so much more dramatic than the 101 or 102 that I've always been hoping to find the one I really want..
    Plus it's as close to a real 1804 dollar as you can get, right?

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

There it is!
    This is possibly my favorite overdate. I've yet to aquire one and that may be because the 103 in one of it's terminal die states is so much more dramatic than the 101 or 102 that I've always been hoping to find the one I really want..
    Plus it's as close to a real 1804 dollar as you can get, right?

Do I remember correctly that once there was an 1804 half dollar listed, but it turned out to be one of these overdates with traces of the 5 removed? Maybe it was described in Taxay...

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someday I’ll find one. Agreed @jayPem the 1805/4 103 late due state has so much going on. The coin is full of blunders which makes it awesome.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see this half eagle has a following......Not my coin, but I've always liked this one.

Here's one that is lesser known but quite noticeable.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always assumed,maybe wrongly, that our early coin strikers took great pride in their work. But judging by these many overdate examples maybe I must reevaluate that belief. Or that it was all due to the fault of the date punchers.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • seduloussedulous Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

@scubafuel said:
    Here's one that is lesser known but quite noticeable.

Lesser known indeed!
    Ive never seen that one and it's amazing ❤️

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I've always assumed,maybe wrongly, that our early coin strikers took great pride in their work. But judging by these many overdate examples maybe I must reevaluate that belief. Or that it was all due to the fault of the date punchers.

Quality die steel was a very scarce commodity in the early days of the fledgling US mint and a perfectly good die was not wasted. After the year changed, the mint would simply repunch the date and keep on using the die until it wore out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 3:11AM

1942/1 PCGS VF30. Bought raw in 1996 for $280.

@jaypem If you don't have it, would highly recommend the Dr Juan Suros auction catalogue. He had a complete set of US overdates and there are great pictures.

• BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    If you don't have it, would highly recommend the Dr Juan Suros auction catalogue. He had a complete set of US overdates and there are great pictures.

Is this catalog available on the Newman Numismatic Portal?

That must have been an amazing collection!
    🔥

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BloodMan said:

@scubafuel said:
    If you don't have it, would highly recommend the Dr Juan Suros auction catalogue. He had a complete set of US overdates and there are great pictures.

https://archive.org/details/drjuanxiisurosco1999supe/mode/2up

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

edited July 11, 2020 8:23PM

>
    @BloodMan said:

@yosclimber said:
    https://archive.org/details/drjuanxiisurosco1999supe/mode/2up

Thanks! It is a interesting catalog.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    @jaypem If you don't have it, would highly recommend the Dr Juan Suros auction catalogue. He had a complete set of US overdates and there are great pictures.

That would be an amazing collection!

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

1839/6
    Lance.

The 1844/81. Does this count? The date was stamped upside down. LOL. Lighting was not great back then.
    Lance.

One more. Another blunder with the date stamp inverted. The 1851/81.
    Lance.

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

1836/1336 PR64 Cameo

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2020 1:35PM

1806/5 DBH

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BloodMan said:
    1853/2. This is considered the only overdate in the $20 Liberty series...

Friend at work brought his fathers collection for me to appraise.

It was A lot of 90% silver... but then there was an 1853/2 $20 liberty mixed in... Such a cool coin.

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 9:25PM

Great coins everyone, thanks for posting. Kinda curious to see how many folks say they loved their coins but no longer own it...

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 9:46PM

Overdates are cool without a loupe and imagination.

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

Dont own any overdates but they certainly are cool

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:

Thank you for reminding me this exists, in addition to the overdates this collection had a terrific array of variety coins.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

@Pnies20 said:

It was A lot of 90% silver... but then there was an 1853/2 $20 liberty mixed in... Such a cool coin.

Nice find. In grades lower that XF it can be challenging to see the overdate, but you can confirm based on another marker. There is a "die lump" under the R in Liberty, as shown below.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BloodMan said:

@Pnies20 said:

Nice find. In grades lower that XF it can be challenging to see the overdate, but you can confirm based on another marker. There is a "die lump" under the R in Liberty, as shown below.

Learn something new every day

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file