Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 keep us in the loop- interesting. What grading company are you talking to?

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an 08-O quarter PC-55 from The Swede.
    Photos courtesy Barberkeys.

More coins, less government.
  • Options

And here's one of my 1909-O quarters acquired from my favotite photographer.
    Guess the grade?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a 58 but gonna say 55.

@paesan said:
    And here's one of my 1909-O quarters acquired from my favotite photographer.
    Guess the grade?

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Rob
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 8:45PM

64, could be a 55. I do like the neck mumps!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful 58 to me.

• Options

I'd say Redglobe wins. PCGS MS-61.

Lenny

• Options

Very nice coin Lenny,and quite rare (as you know) can you unearth an 06-O like that,or a 07-S,or a 12-S....I really enjoy your posts. Envious come to mind.
    Thanks

Rob
  • Options

Here's my '12 S Quarter, a PC XF40:

It looks like Miss Liberty is sprouting a moustache.

• Options

Now that's just nice.....

• Options

wow...just wow
    album toned
    Did you have that graded yourself?
    Keep them coming
    As always beautiful coins

Rob
  • Options

Here's a new raw eBay pickup that showed up in the mail today, an 1894 S Quarter with the Center MM position:

The Center MM position is much less common than the Far Right position. This coin looks like it hasn't been messed with to me, but who knows what PCGS will say? It will be in their hands soon.

As a Bonus, this one has a RPM:

There are no reported RPM's for the date/mint that I can find. The photos were sent off to Steve Hustad, the BCCS Varieties Coordinator, this is morning. He's not aware of this, or any other, 1894 S RPM being reported. My guess is there are a lot more RPM's out there waiting to be discovered.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Earlier this year I purchased an 1893 O Quarter in a MS62 holder. I thought it looked a little nicer than a 62 so I cracked it out and submitted it raw. It returned a few weeks back in a MS63 holder. Not a big jump, but I'm happy:

Interesting clash marks around the chin and neck.... nice little bump up in grade too!

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love coins with that look on the 93-O.

• Options

So...you still into ammo eating stuff or are you ever going to get the coin bug again?? :#

@LogPotato said:

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

The Center MM position is much less common than the Far Right position.

this one has a RPM:

Jeff. You are certainly unearthing a lot of value from your photo-macro set-up. What a value to the hobby and Barber collectors everywhere! Thanks for sharing these things and keeping Steve informed as part of the official BCCS database.

• T

• Options

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff. You are certainly unearthing a lot of value from your photo-macro set-up. What a value to the hobby and Barber collectors everywhere! Thanks for sharing these things and keeping Steve informed as part of the official BCCS database.

• T

Tim- You and I might be the only ones that care about this stuff.... but I hope not.

• Options

I like how NGC has laid out of all the variety options on a single page. Here are the Barbers:
    Dimes: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dimes/barber-dimes-1892-1916/?page=1
    Quarters: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/quarters/barber-quarters-1892-1916/?page=1
    Half Dollars: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/half-dollars/barber-half-dollars-1892-1915/?page=1

Jeff: I hope not either. There are many cool things you can find in the series for varieties. - T

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    So...you still into ammo eating stuff or are you ever going to get the coin bug again?? :#

@LogPotato said:

I've bought a coin or 2 here and there in the past couple years. I still check them out sometimes, but I doubt I'll ever get back into it like I was.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    I like how NGC has laid out of all the variety options on a single page. Here are the Barbers:
    Dimes: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dimes/barber-dimes-1892-1916/?page=1
    Quarters: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/quarters/barber-quarters-1892-1916/?page=1
    Half Dollars: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/half-dollars/barber-half-dollars-1892-1915/?page=1

Jeff: I hope not either. There are many cool things you can find in the series for varieties. - T

Nice! Thanks for linking it!

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a new raw eBay pickup that showed up in the mail today, an 1894 S Quarter with the Center MM position:

Nice raw pick up.
    Something I’ve never seen any discussion of, probably not noteworthy, is how the reverse is a very shallow strike as evidenced by the areas of field level space and separation between some of the wing feathers, tail feathers and up against the shield.
    I had a 14s like that in AU58 and I thought it was interesting.
    Not what I’d consider a weakly struck coin in the typical sense from worn or filled dies but odd that it didn’t strike all the way. Looks like the eagle is partially submerged in water.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

Good to hear from you, Logpotato. The man who turned me on to nice VFs! I agree that the 93-O looks pretty good.

Jeff and Rob, thanks for the kind words on the 06-O.

Rob, no I didn't holder that coin myself. When that coin got holdered, my coin collection consisted of two Whitman albums of Washingtons and Franklins. Probably 98% of coins were raw back then. I miss the good old days.

Here's another 07-S, a Vern find that now resides in The Stash! PC-45 (An upgrade from my 55!)
    (Photos courtesy Barberkeys)

• Options

@paesan said:
    Good to hear from you, Logpotato. The man who turned me on to nice VFs! I agree that the 93-O looks pretty good.

Jeff and Rob, thanks for the kind words on the 06-O.

Rob, no I didn't holder that coin myself. When that coin got holdered, my coin collection consisted of two Whitman albums of Washingtons and Franklins. Probably 98% of coins were raw back then. I miss the good old days.

Here's another 07-S, a Vern find that now resides in The Stash! PC-45 (An upgrade from my 55!)

That is a wonderful '07-S half dollar with beautiful color and a quality look to it Lenny!

• Options

@dogwood said:
    ")
    Nice raw pick up.
    Something I’ve never seen any discussion of, probably not noteworthy, is how the reverse is a very shallow strike as evidenced by the areas of field level space and separation between some of the wing feathers, tail feathers and up against the shield.
    I had a 14s like that in AU58 and I thought it was interesting.
    Not what I’d consider a weakly struck coin in the typical sense from worn or filled dies but odd that it didn’t strike all the way. Looks like the eagle is partially submerged in water.

Both the obverse and reverse dies used to strike the coin were heavily polished. Look at the ribbons around the neck; they disappear at the ends.

I like your analogy that it looks like the image is partially submerged in water!

• Options

Here's a body-bagged 11-S quarter that I thought would straight grade AU 55-58. I guess there is residue on the surfaces. I don't see any hairlines. Send the doctor back to school! PCGS AU-details "cleaned."

• Options

@paesan said:
    Here's a body-bagged 11-S quarter that I thought would straight grade AU 55-58. I guess there is residue on the surfaces. I don't see any hairlines. Send the doctor back to school! PCGS AU-details "cleaned."

That's a nice looking '11 S Quarter, Lenny. I know you're pretty darn good at detecting coins that have been messed with- you're a hard one to fool. Would a coin with residue on it come back as cleaned? I would think it would come back as "dirtied".

Seriously, I think it's a real shame that coins like that are thrown into the same pile as coins that have been scrubbed with a Brillo Pad. It seems to me PCGS owes it's customers some sort of explanation on a coin like that. Presumably each coin shows up in a computer database when flowing through grading. How hard would it be for a grader to jot down a few words to explain the thoughts for rejecting the coin?

Lenny, are you going to crack it and resubmit? I've successfully done that a few times with coins I can't see why it was bagged...

• Options

The only thing I can presume about the coin is looks awefully lackluster. Stripped with heavy secondary toning is my guess. Of course that is me judging the picture.

@JeffMTampa said:

@paesan said:

That's a nice looking '11 S Quarter, Lenny. I know you're pretty darn good at detecting coins that have been messed with- you're a hard one to fool. Would a coin with residue on it come back as cleaned? I would think it would come back as "dirtied".

Seriously, I think it's a real shame that coins like that are thrown into the same pile as coins that have been scrubbed with a Brillo Pad. It seems to me PCGS owes it's customers some sort of explanation on a coin like that. Presumably each coin shows up in a computer database when flowing through grading. How hard would it be for a grader to jot down a few words to explain the thoughts for rejecting the coin?

Lenny, are you going to crack it and resubmit? I've successfully done that a few times with coins I can't see why it was bagged...

• Options
    edited July 5, 2020 12:01PM

@paesan said:

Lenny, Is that the coin that was straight graded NGC, cracked out, then Details graded by PCGS? I have an '09-D dime in that same scenario.

• Options

Wonderful coins here recently everyone and good subject discussions.

• Options

Another newp building out my circulated XF set. A 1906-D Barber Quarter in PCGS XF45. Provenance from Schwede and Paesan with Barberkeys on the image-generating side. Thanks guys.

• Tim

• Options

Jeff, I won't crack it out and try for a regrade because ultimately, I agree with the decision. Also, over the years, my success rate has improved dramatically to the point where it actually bothers me if I miss on even one coin. It's not because I overestimated a coin or missed some flaw as much as I despise paying a fee for a coin that doesn't get graded. Cracking it out and giving them a double fee is a risk I won't take without guaranteed results. Besides, I like the coin as a strong AU and the details holder isn't much of a bother. I like "dirtied instead of cleaned!" That's a good one!!

Darrell, I agree with your assessment. I think if someone wanted to try dipping this coin it might grade, but I'm not into that.

Tim, The coin that was straight graded at NGC was my 1896-O quarter MS-63. This is a different coin.

Today's coin is my newest Barber. Since I like 09-S dimes and can't find a high grade one that suits me, I bought this raw baby for about a sawbuck.

• Options

But wait...there's more! I can't resist sharing this Srotag beauty that I'm very tempted to relieve him of. PCGS/CAC XF-45.

• Options

Here's my '09 S Dime. I bought it raw; now it's in a PC VF35 holder:

I must have submitted this coin using my annual free vouchers- that's the only time I get a TrueView.

• Options
    edited July 5, 2020 5:23PM

I've unearthed my NGC XF45 (straight-graded) that I cracked out and re-submitted to PCGS receiving a Details grade... 1909-D. Poor cellphone pics:

Suggestions? I still believe it to be a nice coin. Maybe a grader or two was not having a good day. Do I follow Lenny and leave it in holder? I could also choose to crack it out and sell raw... but then I would be in need to refill my '09-D slot with another XF. Maybe I just q-tip swab grimed-up areas a bit... I am grasping at straws here... it is a nice coin (at least I thought so)

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paesan said:
    But wait...there's more! I can't resist sharing this Srotag beauty that I'm very tempted to relieve him of. PCGS/CAC XF-45.

Lenny
    That is a beauty!

• Options

@sedulous said:
    I've unearthed my NGC XF45 (straight-graded) that I cracked out and re-submitted to PCGS receiving a Details grade... 1909-D. Poor cellphone pics:

Suggestions? I still believe it to be a nice coin. Maybe a grader or two was not having a good day. Do I follow Lenny and leave it in holder? I could also choose to crack it out and sell raw... but then I would be in need to refill my '09-D slot with another XF. Maybe I just q-tip swab grimed-up areas a bit... I am grasping at straws here... it is a nice coin (at least I thought so)

I agree that the coin looks nice. Assuming there are no hairlines, I don't get it either. I can't imagine a little grime on the coin would put it in a Details holder. In my opinion this "Cleaned" thing is out of hand at the grading companies. Or maybe it's just my lack of experience.

• Options

Tim, I think the 09-D dime has parallel horizontal lines on the obverse that have been toned over, indicating abrasive cleaning. (9-12 o'clock obverse). I wouldn't try again.

Here's an 03-S quarter from The Swede. PC-12. (Photos courtesy Barberkeys)

• Options
    edited July 6, 2020 9:23PM

This lady Liberty from Denver with the look I really go for is on her way to my collection by way of Florida.
    Thanks Lenny! Nice looking '03 S!

• Options

You’re welcome, Jed. It's great how the members of this forum have the opportunity to exchange coins. That 09-D came from Tim, who bought an XF from Milo recently. The wonderful photography from Vern really helps too. We have a couple of amazing photographers here, a talent that I sadly don't possess.

Another from Srotag's group, a better date that I've been holding back. PCGS XF-40 / CAC. Thanks for the photos, Vern!

• Options
    edited July 7, 2020 11:21AM

That's a really nice looking 04 O ... that's a date that seems to age well.
    Here's mine that's an F-15

• Options

Your 15 looks like it could easily make it into a 20 holder to me.

@jedm said:
    That's a really nice looking 04 O ... that's a date that seems to age well.
    Here's mine that's an F-15

• Options
    edited July 7, 2020 1:12PM

I have two in XF40 for the '04-O. I was torn between both on which to part with so I stopped that nonsense and kept both. Notice the changes in mintmark placement... notice one mintmark is higher than the other. Even Jed's is another level of different. Vern's looks like it even might be close to the high-version mintmark but could be slightly different.

The following specimen is Ex @JeffMTampa Jeff's collection... centered high O:

The following specimen is Ex Harlan J. Berk purchased off their website... centered low O:

I don't seem to have yet obtained the Left-O Jed @jedm has. Bummer.

• Tim

• Options
    edited July 7, 2020 1:07PM

Here is another one that showcases the high mintmark variety of the 1904-O in PC20:

Also looks like I have an additional, more worn specimen as well:

• Tim

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    I have two in XF40 for the '04-O. I was torn between both on which to part with so I stopped that nonsense and kept both. Notice the changes in mintmark placement... notice one mintmark is higher than the other. Even Jed's is another level of different. Vern's looks like it even might be close to the high-version mintmark but could be slightly different.

The following specimen is Ex @JeffMTampa Jeff's collection... centered high O:

The following specimen is Ex Harlan J. Berk purchased off their website... centered low O:

I don't seem to have yet obtained the Left-O Jed @jedm has. Bummer.

• Tim

Both are nice Tim. I do like the top coin better though. Congrats

• Options

Quiet day! From the Srotag collection: PC-40 CAC

• Options

Here's one of my 1905 Halves:

It's a nice coin if you like them well done.

• Options

How tough is the 05 half?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file