Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What did you buy recently and why?

SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like the title says. I like it when you learn how others enjoy this hobby. Below are my most recent purchases. I dabble in CWT, but like to have what I feel are very eye appealing pieces. Bid on auctions and have some raw coins that I will eventually slab, but was looking at a cwt website, and they had these two pieces available with what I felt was a great look, already slabbed, and While I am not sure true pedigree, at least some association with some of the cwt experts. Plus the price was very reasonable for what I think is a nice piece of history.

Another reason why is so I could add to the others.

Any one else want to share.

Comments

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 48th die marriage of 1827 half dollars. Why? Because I had the money when the coin was available and it gets me within 1% of a complete Overton collection of Capped Bust halves 🙂

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2020 7:11PM

It’s been a while since I bought one but my last two were a $2.5 sesquicentennial and 1854 G$1 type 2. I always liked the design of the first but never owned one. I really liked the look of the second. Both were reasonably priced.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I could submit.

Ken
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:

So I could submit.

I use Saflips to store my raw coins. Great product and safe to use unlike PVC flips.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

They are nothing like PVC flips. Safe to store in as well.

Ken
  • Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    This gorgeous chopmarked Yen.
    Cuz its alot nicer than the one I had...😊

My most recent pickup was also a chopmarked Yen! Don't have it in hand yet because shipping is rather slow, but here are the seller's images.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'Lonesome John' error numismatic literature set advertised on the BST by PreTurb yesterday. I have a number of error coins and a growing numismatic library, so this purchase made sense.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2020 8:53AM

1850 Half Dimse in PCGS AU58 because I need one for the new set I’m building.
    No images it’s in the mail from Hallenbeck Coin.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:

I have a clock very similar to yours, it was a gift my grandfather received from a bank back when banks did that kind of thing. Mine has two Kennedy halfs at the 12 and 6 positions quarters and dimes the same as yours.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

The Bad Metal guide to contemporary counterfeit minor coinage by Winston Zack. Thanks to Dave Wnuck for mentioning this in his newsletter.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shiny things !

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I "accidently" bid on an 1837 Capped Bust Half Dollar that I was watching. I was watching the auction on my phone and was just about to place a bid and it went over my "cap" that I allowed my self to spend. Then my allergies kicked in, my phone went flying and as I grabbed for as it floated in the air, apparently I placed a bid...and won. Embarrassed about my lack of sufficient funds, I called the auction house and the representative got a good laugh about how I "accidently" placed my bid. She said that she would need authorization to nullify my bid, but I informed her that I want the coin...I would just need a little time to acquire the remainder of the funds. She stated that she need to discuss this with a supervisor...she cam back and asked if I could place a down payment and how much time would I need to pay the remainder. My lesson learned is that I don't need to use my phone for auctions anymore...especially during allergy season.

Ah, the "accidental" bid. I tried that line on my wife before and it didn't go well. "Honey, I don't know what happened, I must have bid on it accidentally."

• Options

@chesterb said:
    Ah, the "accidental" bid. I tried that line on my wife before and it didn't go well. "Honey, I don't know what happened, I must have bid on it accidentally."

And she believed every word!! :)

Ken
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

I bought a bunch of 90% silver, so you can rest assured that the price of silver will fall soon.
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Bought the 1836 O-123 I posted elsewhere and upgraded my 1892-S VAM 2 (Repunched Date)

Love dem RPD's. <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a PF65 1938 Walker, Gold sticker. I noticed I had three PF66 1938's (1, 5, 25) in my miscellaneous types and decided to complete the set for the heck of it. Was planning on a 66 but have never owned a gold stickered coin, so on a whim.....it looks 66 to me.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I just ordered a number of these. They come with a plastic sleeve that holds the slabs in the tray. These are the best option for slab storage I've found.

eBay item number:

Do these come for PCGS coins as well? Also do they have different sizes or just for 8 coins?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS slabs fit fine-nearly all of mine are that brand. And eight is the only size I've seen (for slabs.) There's a company in Germany called Lindner that makes a better quality tray that holds nine slabs but they are on the expensive side-close to $50/tray with shipping. Here's an image and their website.

https://www.lindner-original.de/en/coin-supplies/coin-boxes/coin-boxes-height-20-mm/muenzbox-rauchglas-fuer-9-us-muenzkapseln-slabs-bis-zu-einem-format-von-63x85-mm/a-1111130001

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbed Mexico low pop coins, graded world low pop currency, some 2020 PCGS 70 ASE.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought an American Gold Eagle Proof recently. Why? I like the proofs and got an outstanding price on it.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2020 4:04PM

My first local auction today since before the lock-down. There were 257 lots in this one; mostly raw U.S., world, and some currency, along with some silver rounds. Safety protocols were in place.

Typically with these auctions; I scour the listing before hand, and identify coins I may need as an upgrade, or, do not have yet that are at an acceptable grade I collect. I also make sure I go through Cherry Pickers guide prior to auction, and also mark listings for potential varieties. I also put a value based on listed grade to give me a little direction/discretion.

I was also looking at lots for a 79 year old collector friend. Good to know some collectors trust your judgement! :p

With any given auction, I may have 50 coins circled in listing, and only end up buying a couple. Many of the raw coins typically have problems, and it can be like navigating a minefield looking for a quality purchase.

Today was no exception. I purchased these two items for personal collection. I placed the 1895 Indian Cent at MS63 BN. It's a lustrous chocolate blazer. The 1919-s Buffalo I determined VF-20. Close thereabout anyway.

Both wholesome coins IMO.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sweet. The 1919s . . . all three mints . . . seem to be VERY challenging to find with hammered, full 4-figure dates like yours has.

Drunner

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2020 4:50PM

Picked up hours ago. Tried to cherry pick the 1968s Quarter PF. DDR. I guess I did after all! :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Well, to go against the grain I have:
    Not bought a single coin or bullion piece since April!!!!!
    Instead, I have used most of my free cash to support local businesses, whether they be restaurants, retail, service, professional service, or the like. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT REALLY MATTER ESPECIALLY AT THE LOCAL LEVEL..

Now if you don't like my preferences for spending MY cash, I do not care. But I wish that some of you would be less self-centered and think about your fellow man. I'll ask you, what happens to YOU when your dentist folds, or your doctor, or you barber, your landscaper, or you manicurist (!!) folds? Sorry, coin dealers drop to the bottom of my "feed list" in times like these, no offense intended as coins are a luxury, not a necessity.

Great coins will always be out there, believe me I know. But will your "support" people survive?

You can do both. I respect what you are saying, yet, I don't see any need to sacrifice what I enjoy. We'll support others, and get through this together on the flip side stronger. It will get better @Cameonut

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketArt said:

@Cameonut said:
    Well, to go against the grain I have:
    Not bought a single coin or bullion piece since April!!!!!
    Instead, I have used most of my free cash to support local businesses, whether they be restaurants, retail, service, professional service, or the like. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT REALLY MATTER ESPECIALLY AT THE LOCAL LEVEL..

Now if you don't like my preferences for spending MY cash, I do not care. But I wish that some of you would be less self-centered and think about your fellow man. I'll ask you, what happens to YOU when your dentist folds, or your doctor, or you barber, your landscaper, or you manicurist (!!) folds? Sorry, coin dealers drop to the bottom of my "feed list" in times like these, no offense intended as coins are a luxury, not a necessity.

Great coins will always be out there, believe me I know. But will your "support" people survive?

You can do both. I respect what you are saying, yet, I don't see any need to sacrifice what I enjoy. We'll support others, and get through this together on the flip side stronger. It will get better @Cameonut

We all do what we feel we need to do to get through this stressful time.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

Now if you don't like my preferences for spending MY cash, I do not care. But I wish that some of you would be less self-centered and think about your fellow man.

Thanks for ruining a perfectly nice thread with your self righteous bs. And trust me the one thing you got right is we do not care what you think. My business is and continues to be down 2/3 of what it normally is due to all the shutdowns and if spending $30 on a couple of shinny objects helps brighten my day and ease the stress is not ok with you then you, well I cannot say what I want to say but I'm sure you can figure it out.

@Cameonut said:

no offense intended as coins are a luxury, not a necessity.

Whatever your intention your post is very offensive and you should lose your posting privilege's or be outright banned.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

After thinking about my post, I deserve some of the criticism I received. I should have toned it down or not posted at all. I come to these boards as an escape from the daily carp we are all dealing with and I didn't do that.
    I'll leave it at that.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to get back on track.
    Bought this one yesterday, couldn't pass at common money.....no premium for the color. :)

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently bought a very lightly used Dansco 7070 type set album that came with archival slipcase and 29 pretty choice coins.

More recently, bought a whole lot of delicious sushi from our two favorite local places.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a Littleton 19th century type album. Going to work on some raw coins for a while. Mostly lower grade items. But also bought this gem. I used to have several and somewhere over the last 15 years I’ve lost track of them. So I wanted a nice one again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file