Home U.S. Coin Forum

American Eagle One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof (19XE) SOLD OUT

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    Didn't even see a blip this morning :/ Time to go back to bed I guess...

Good night :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

didn't even come up today. we'll see what happens tomorrow. BTW , I don't think any of us needs a "reminder"

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/purchase-u-s-mint-coin-for-86-90-sell-for-187-100-profit/

(PFS is a membership only buying club). No wonder the real collectors had little chance of getting it when we have to compete with 10000+ members.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 7:54AM

@Sweetpie said:
    https://www.doctorofcredit.com/purchase-u-s-mint-coin-for-86-90-sell-for-187-100-profit/

(PFS is a membership only buying club). No wonder the real collectors had little chance of getting it when we have to compete with 10000+ members.

I'm not sure how that is any different than here where people had 30 friends and relatives working. Obviously, there were a lot of flippers in the game.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had one of these to keep mine in... B)

@Bullsitter said:
    I wish I had one of these to keep mine in... B)

You might need a lot of them to fill up the bag ;)

@Sweetpie said:

It’s Dead.......... :D

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sweetpie said:

They may have 10000+ members, but that doesn't mean all of them were trying to buy the coin. Besides, as long as there's a chance for an easy, profitable flip, if it wasn't them, it'd be someone else.

@MasonG said:

@Sweetpie said:

They may have 10000+ members, but that doesn't mean all of them were trying to buy the coin. Besides, as long as there's a chance for an easy, profitable flip, if it wasn't them, it'd be someone else.

eBay is a better choice. More money🤑

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 6:23PM

@Sweetpie said:

The truth is that there was a strong evidence of a cook group with help of bots was copping this coin instead of normal sneakers.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@Sweetpie said:

@Kliao said:

@Sweetpie said:

Of course its dead, deadline to opt in with PFS was liked 1pm Thursday.

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

The truth is that there was a strong evidence of a cook group with help of bots was copping this coin instead of normal sneakers.

Is there anyway to block the bots? The Saturday release were probably all sold to bots.

edited November 17, 2019 7:28PM

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

Is there anyway to block the bots? The Saturday release were probably all sold to bots.

I won't go into too much of detail. But here are some links
    https://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/04/27/sneaker-bots-how-do-they-work/

"Any e-commerce framework that operates on a “first-come, first-served” basis is a perfect target for bots, as computers are indisputably faster than humans at clicking. In a word, as long as people pay resell prices, bots will rule."

"The only true way to block out bots is by implementing a lottery or raffle system that requires pre-entry information such as shipping details."

https://www.cnet.com/news/these-bot-shoppers-are-every-sneakerheads-nightmare/
    "When these very big sales are going on," said Moshe Zioni, a director of threat research at security company Akamai, "close to 100 percent of the traffic is bots alone."

Will anyone try tomorrow

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

Ridiculous.

We know MULTIPLE people on this forum who bought the coins on Saturday. This may be your first rodeo, but most of us have been at this for years. No one is dedicating a bot farm to trying to score the 10 or 20 coins that come available for 3 minutes at 7:30 a.m. The same thing happened with the 2018 Palladium Eagle where members of this forum ended up buying many if not most of them.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

Ridiculous.

We know MULTIPLE people on this forum who bought the coins on Saturday. This may be your first rodeo, but most of us have been at this for years. No one is dedicating a bot farm to trying to score the 10 or 20 coins that come available for 3 minutes at 7:30 a.m. The same thing happened with the 2018 Palladium Eagle where members of this forum ended up buying many if not most of them.

I know multiple members were able to buy them. But most of the ones who tried struck out as they sold out almost instantly. That is where I’m coming from as most people won’t be able to order that fast and that’s why I’m thinking bots.

I’m just sharing my thaughts.

• Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 5:34AM

I know multiple members were able to buy them. But most of the ones who tried struck out as they sold out almost instantly. That is where I’m coming from as most people won’t be able to order that fast and that’s why I’m thinking bots.

Of course they sold out quickly, there was only a handful available Saturday. I got one on Saturday and I’m not a bot.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not see any indication they came open this morning.

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

Bot a Bing Bot a Bang - Nothing available today, not one Thang!

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

Ridiculous.

I have bought dozens if not hundreds of coins in the 7:30 window. Because of the HHL of 1, you can't see how many are available. Literally there is sometimes only 1 or 2 available. I personally have placed as many as 5 orders in under 4 minutes, it's not that hard. Other people on this forum will tell you the same thing.

edited November 18, 2019 6:03AM

I find it odd when a group of low feedback ebay sellers who are selling this coin has transaction related to funko pop and sport wear in their buy/sell history.

Oh wait... There is also a Funko Bot
    https://mostadvancedbot.com/products/funko-bot

Personally I believe there was a bot attack on Thursday. But not much on Friday nor Saturday since they were rookies and unfamiliar with the after sale routine. For better or worst, our hobby are getting attention from the younger generations. :(

• OKCCOKCC Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

This being all ready at 4:30 am thing is getting old.

@TurboSnail said:
    I find it odd when a group of low feedback ebay sellers who are selling this coin has transaction related to funko pop and sport wear in their buy/sell history.

This is just wrong! maybe an anti-bot Captcha needs to be implemented if this is a thing :|

@OKCC said:
    This being all ready at 4:30 am thing is getting old.

Try 3:30!

@TurboSnail said:

Personally I believe there was a bot attack on Thursday. But not much on Friday nor Saturday since they were rookies and unfamiliar with the after sale routine. For better or worst, our hobby are getting attention from the younger generations. :(

This coin got traction outside of the coin community due to credit card point and bank bonus blogs picking up on it because of the deals dealers were offering to pay people for their coin.
    Having a bot wouldn’t help anybody on Thursday, it wasn’t about speed, it was just about getting the website to accept your order without crashing.
    Frankly I hate the whole blaming bots thing here, I kind of doubt they are even being used on the mint site, and secondly it just comes off as an excuse for being too slow or missing out and shifting the blame on young people.

@Dollar2007 said:

@TurboSnail said:

This coin got traction outside of the coin community due to credit card point and bank bonus blogs picking up on it because of the deals dealers were offering to pay people for their coin.
    Having a bot wouldn’t help anybody on Thursday, it wasn’t about speed, it was just about getting the website to accept your order without crashing.
    Frankly I hate the whole blaming bots thing here, I kind of doubt they are even being used on the mint site, and secondly it just comes off as an excuse for being too slow or missing out and shifting the blame on young people.

I do apologize if my opinion offend anyone. But there was some mentioning of attack on the web after some digging. For the record, I was lucky to buy one for my own collection on Thursday and tried to get extra to sell to our forum members at cost as I always do for the past couple years.

I do apologize if my opinion offend anyone. But there was some mentioning of attack on the web after some digging. For the record, I was lucky to buy one for my own collection on Thursday and tried to get extra to sell to our forum members at cost as I always do for the past couple years.

No need to apologize. It just annoys me. And that’s nice of you for doing that.

• SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Apparently bots did try to make purchases on the 14th, and the US Mint claims to have stopped them (The remainder of this Post is a quote from CoinNews):

Update: Late Friday afternoon, the U.S. Mint released the following statements to CoinNews:

"Yesterday, the Mint catalog website had more than 150,000 unique visitors and 1.6 million page views in the first hour of sales of the American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin (19XE). For context, the catalog website’s previous highest traffic and page views were for the Apollo 11 product launch, when we had 124,000 visitors in one day and 863,000 page views in one hour. We are pleased with the numismatic community’s response to this product. The volume of traffic did briefly slow down our site response. However, after the first two minutes we were able to process over 1800 orders per minute on average. Completed orders were processed until all inventory was sold. Additionally, we identified approximately 5% of traffic as coming from bots, including 3% of traffic from a single IP address, of which zero orders were processed."

"At the moment of launch, there were 99,000 people online and 4700 callers waiting to purchase the American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin (19XE). Completed orders were processed until all inventory was sold. We are constantly seeking feedback from our customers, and rest assured your voice is being heard."

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SenateSaloon said:
    quote from CoinNews):

Update: Late Friday afternoon, the U.S. Mint released the following statements to CoinNews:

"Yesterday, the Mint catalog website had more than 150,000 unique visitors and 1.6 million page views in the first hour of sales of the American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin (19XE).

However, after the first two minutes we were able to process over 1800 orders per minute on average. Completed orders were processed until all inventory was sold.

"At the moment of launch, there were 99,000 people online and 4700 callers waiting to purchase the American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin (19XE).

Thank you SenateSaloon. Good information. 99,000 people online with 4700 callers waiting.

If all those 99k online wanted one but only 30k available makes for interesting musical chairs.

We’re those 4700 people on the phone? The Mint does not have 4700 people answering phones right? How many of those 4700 were able to purchase their 1 Coin?

edited November 18, 2019 7:51AM

@Gluggo said:

"At the moment of launch, there were 99,000 people online and 4700 callers waiting to purchase the American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin (19XE).

Thank you SenateSaloon. Good information. 99,000 people online with 4700 callers waiting.

If all those 99k online wanted one but only 30k available makes for interesting musical chairs.

Additionally, we identified approximately 5% of traffic as coming from bots, including 3% of traffic from a single IP address, of which zero orders were processed."

500 came from a few users who were too cheap and lazy to mask their ip addies while using bot.

@TurboSnail said:

@Gluggo said:

Additionally, we identified approximately 5% of traffic as coming from bots, including 3% of traffic from a single IP address, of which zero orders were processed."

500 came from users who were too cheap and lazy to mask their ip addies while using bot.

Yes, that quote from the mint is interesting. I’m a little surprised the number of people on the site weren’t higher especially considering lots of people had multiple computers or devices open to the page. Though I think some people couldn’t even get to the main mint site at 9am, so that probably lowered the count a bit.
    As for the bots, I don’t think they actually got anybody orders because of all the random refresh pop ups and that error occurred pop up that we got on the last step. Bots need to be programmed to exactly how a site works, and the mint site was too unpredictable Thursday for a bot to navigate.
    But I do apologize now that I see the mint is saying they were used.

@Batman23 said:

@TurboSnail said:

This is just wrong! maybe an anti-bot Captcha needs to be implemented if this is a thing :|

The Mint threw out a bunch of orders that all came from the same IP

• rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

"Any e-commerce framework that operates on a “first-come, first-served” basis is a perfect target for bots, as computers are indisputably faster than humans at clicking. In a word, as long as people pay resell prices, bots will rule."

"The only true way to block out bots is by implementing a lottery or raffle system that requires pre-entry information such as shipping details."

"When these very big sales are going on," said Moshe Zioni, a director of threat research at security company Akamai, "close to 100 percent of the traffic is bots alone."

I don't think bots can get around a captcha type process. Is that right @TurboSnail ?
    The Mint needs to and probably will eventually incorporate this into their technology.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rip_f said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

I don't think bots can get around a captcha type process. Is that right @TurboSnail ?
    The Mint needs to and probably will eventually incorporate this into their technology.

It depends on the quality of the captcha. They can solve the easier ones now. The ones Google presently uses that asks you to select pictures with things in them are much harder for bots to defeat... For now.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

@rip_f said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

What do the bots use for billing and/or shipping addresses? They can't use the same for all of the accounts or the Mint would cancel the orders.

@jmlanzaf said:

@rip_f said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

What do the bots use for billing and/or shipping addresses? They can't use the same for all of the accounts or the Mint would cancel the orders.

They must have a list of address to use. Probably of employees if it’s a big dealer

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

This recent event was such a significant outlier that where do you see the necessity of a tighter system that will catch “bots” in the near future? The “oops” has been effective, so far.
    There has been demand with the Palladium coins but they are so expensive compared to this $66 miracle.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rip_f said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

They must have a list of address to use. Probably of employees if it’s a big dealer

Then why would they even need the bot? The "employees" could just log in on their phones.

@MilesWaits said:
    This recent event was such a significant outlier that where do you see the necessity of a tighter system that will catch “bots” in the near future? The “oops” has been effective, so far.
    There has been demand with the Palladium coins but they are so expensive compared to this $66 miracle.

Agree. This happens about once every 5 to 10 years.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rip_f said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

Then why would they even need the bot? The "employees" could just log in on their phones.

The bots should be faster.......

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rip_f said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

But more expensive.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rip_f said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

But more expensive.

Unless your paying $400 for each coin. Then it might be worth while plus you can use it for many releases.

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rip_f said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Kliao said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Sweetpie said:

But more expensive.

Unless your paying $400 for each coin. Then it might be worth while plus you can use it for many releases.

There's no point in doing it for multiple releases. There's about one release per year, maybe two, that is likely to sell out quickly. Even then, the secondary market mark-up isn't high enough to justify the input of capital required to fire up the bots. Although I suppose that if your bot farm is idle...

It is very unusual to have a pre-sale bid that much higher than the purchase price. This happens about once per decade, not multiple times per year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file