Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    I see he has a “triplicate” box next to the “duplicate” box. Organizing and evaluating all the chaff looks to be a big hill to climb!

For some of the sets I watch, he has two complete sets, so once he upgrades the number one set, that coin goes to the number 2 set which then leaves at "triplicate". I was hoping he would just donate some of these as they would improve my set. (I did tell John at the ANA I would like to get a Liberty Nickel in one of the Hansen holders. Hoping for one in an upcoming sale)

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised he is so open in today's world. With allowing you to post this information I hope he has Real Security Guards!

@Currin said:

@neildrobertson said:

@JBatDavidLawrence said:
    I have a one day stop in Utah coming up this week if anyone would like to see any pictures of coins or would like me to ask any questions to Mr. Hansen...

I would be curious to learn how Hansen is cataloguing and documenting his own collection. I'd also be curious to hear what storage methods he prefers. Also, has he ever answered the question as to why he has duplicate sets for some series?

I not answering this for John, he can add much more to your questions than I can, but here go...

Mr. Hansen catalogue and document everything in PCGS inventory database. Can you imagine trying to keep two databases undated and in sync with a collection this size. Using the inventory database for this size collection has caused problems for PCGS, but they have responded with fixes and upgrades.

The vault is as amazing as the collection. I imagined the vault to be dark and gloomy. Mr. Hansen has turned it into a really nice private museum. He store his core collection in wooden 50 count lighthouse boxes. This is one of my favorite box set. It is early half eagles. I could look at these coins all day.

Mr. Hansen had 5 matching wood “cabinets” crafted with six drawers in each that was designed to store the lighthouse boxes. The front panel is bottom hinged that allows the lighthouse boxes to easily slide out. There are three cabinets on the back wall and two cabinets on front wall left of the vault door. The cabinet has a large bottom storage drawer and a marble top. The cabinets have display shelves on top. Due to the work going on the day I visited, the display shelves were not being used.

On the short wall on the opposite of the vault door, there is a matching custom made shelf (book case style) that is used to store duplicates and extra sets. They are stored in normal coin storage boxes as you can see in the picture.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

In most respects I very much admire what Hansen in accomplishing. But his vault reminds me of a tool crib at a manufacturing plant. I would have thought a display like the Bass Collection at the ANA might be more reflective of his accomplishment.

OINK

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2019 4:31AM

U.S. COINS COMPLETE SET WITH MAJOR VARIETIES, CIRCULATION STRIKES AND PROOF (1792-PRESENT)
    6270 coins

That's 126 Lighthouse 50 coin boxes :o:o:o

Of course I'd probably spend all my time on the last box in drawer #8 if I'm reading that note correctly :p

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are certainly amazing pictures.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin

Great hi-res pics! I can also read most of those labels!

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the glimpse into the collection. The vault is very nicely put together. I think all of the extra boxes on top don't appear to be part of the core collection. It very much has the appearance of the collection being a work in progress that's continually growing.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vault map implied by the photos?
    Looks very cool!

• Options

@yosclimber said:

Vault map implied by the photos?
    Looks very cool!

Liking the diagram of the layout, of course, this is all conjecture.

Narrower or there is a desk/something in the middle. Notice someone sitting (blue shirt) seemingly in the middle (or against the opposite wall.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder about the safety of the collection in wood boxes and wood cases. All wood emits gas which has the potential to discolor coins. As we know, slabs are not completely air tight. The Lighthouse boxes are not made of mahogany, rather they have a “mahogany finish.” I don’t know what kind of wood they use.

As far as the cabinets, if they are mahogany, they are probably safe. Nothing is 100%.

While plastic boxes are ugly, there is a reason they are popular.

I would consider discussing upgrading storage boxes to archival materials if they are to provide long-term safe storage. Even if they don’t necessarily look as nice.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap said:
    As we know, slabs are not completely air tight.

I thought they were now.
    Anyway...What about seismic activity like plate tectonics, volcanos & temporal distortion bubbles?

Probably better I should look after his dup saints just in case something happens to drawer #8
    Never can be too careful. ;)

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

One has to take into account the
    Great Salt Lake in Salt Lake City
    MAY have an atmospheric effect
    On the coins in the vault .
    I do not see any silica gel packets
    Or any atmospheric climate controls.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    If he cracked them all and put them in Whitman folders, this would take an awful lot less space.

Skip the folders and put them loose in a purple Crown Royal bag and they'd take even less space.

Gollly it's fun to be in the peanut gallery! 😉

Spectacular collection, history in the making, we're all fortunate to be witness to small or large degree.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s great to see coins being enjoyed this way. Much more than a set of SDBs and definit something to aspire too.

To take it to the next level, imagine some old world coin cabinets?

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

He only has 12 years to enjoy! ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

Stewart, If you check out Hansen's IHC Registry set you will find that it is described as a "toned" set, but he has a few RD and RB coins mixed in for the registry points. He is probably hoping that the Salt air in SLC will tone those RD coins Blue in their holders........

OINK

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert

I think it is now 11 years and 6 months.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:

@Coinosaurus said:
    If he cracked them all and put them in Whitman folders, this would take an awful lot less space.

Skip the folders and put them loose in a purple Crown Royal bag and they'd take even less space.

Gollly it's fun to be in the peanut gallery! 😉

Spectacular collection, history in the making, we're all fortunate to be witness to small or large degree.

Good thinking. After they are all raw, put them in a treasure chest and bury in a safe place.

• Options

The Hansen Treasure Hoard!

• Options

@Currin said:

@Hemispherical said:

In my discussion with Mr. Hansen, he was plain is saying that he does not what his collection to become a hoard. All of his coins will have a purpose and be meaningful to his collection. He does not plan to keep coins for the purpose of hoarding. We may in the near future, see more aggressive selling of coins he no longer desire.

No buried treasure hunts in the future? Now that would have been fun!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might want to proof read your post! Looks like a finger was out of line with your keyboard as well as a quick post! o:)

@Currin said:

@Hemispherical said:

In my discussion with Mr. Hansen, he was plain is saying that he does not what his collection to become a hoard. All of his coins will have a purpose and be meaningful to his collection. He does not plan to keep coins for the purpose of hoarding. We may in the near future, see more aggressive selling of coins he no longer desire.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

I assumed the coins were stored by DLRC on the East Coast.

• Options

@Currin said:

@Hemispherical said:

In my discussion with Mr. Hansen, he was plain is saying that he does not want his collection to become a hoard. All of his coins will have a purpose and be meaningful to his collection. He does not plan to keep coins for the purpose of hoarding. We may in the near future, see more aggressive selling of coins he no longer desire.

I just got an idea for a new set. One example from each famous collection. Eliasberg and Hansen definitely have some ‘affordable’ examples but there definitely many collections that would have a 5 figure entry level.

... maybe one day.

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know , or a guess
    How many coins from the Eliiasberg
    Collection are presently part of the
    D L Hansen Collection ?

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    Does anyone know , or a guess
    How many coins from the Eliiasberg
    Collection are presently part of the
    D L Hansen Collection ?

No, I don’t think so. We know he has several of the big boys, sorry, I mean big ladies, like the 1885 TD Proof. But it would take cataloging work to determine a more precise number. I think he will one day, but that that may not be far up his priority list yet.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, love it

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, also, do not know the meaning of a Legendary Coin. But, if this coin was in my collection it would be Legendary and the only one so designated.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. In the words of Joe O’Connor, I grade it $50k less than the eliasberg coin. ;)

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2019 7:55PM

So Pogue had all 3, wow.
    The SP-66 looks very flashy and "grades $300k" above the others. :smile:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Btw - Hansen wrote the foreword in the newest edition of the 100 Greatest US Coins

Sweet. That's something I'd love to read.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

The newest Greysheet has an article on him November issue

• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privaterarecoincollector said:

He doesnt want the best example for early coins, only for moderns.

This is an incorrect statement. Alas a large percentage of his coins are the finest for the grade (excluding moderns).

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options

@golden said:
    Holy cow! Have you stopped drooling yet ? What was for dinner?

I had a fish sandwich! It was a low-key dinner but a private outing which was the best part.

John Brush
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    I see he has a “triplicate” box next to the “duplicate” box. Organizing and evaluating all the chaff looks to be a big hill to climb!

Well, one thing that's hard to understand is that the duplicates and triplicates are from the 3rd and 4th set sometimes...We're working on getting all of those organized!

John Brush
  • Options

@dbldie55 said:

@Catbert said:

>
    For some of the sets I watch, he has two complete sets, so once he upgrades the number one set, that coin goes to the number 2 set which then leaves at "triplicate". I was hoping he would just donate some of these as they would improve my set. (I did tell John at the ANA I would like to get a Liberty Nickel in one of the Hansen holders. Hoping for one in an upcoming sale)

I'm working on it! :)

John Brush
  • Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    In most respects I very much admire what Hansen in accomplishing. But his vault reminds me of a tool crib at a manufacturing plant. I would have thought a display like the Bass Collection at the ANA might be more reflective of his accomplishment.

OINK

Wow. A bit harsh, but I'll live with it. This was the collection in its most raw state (as Currin stated).

If you saw it in its organized state, I'd suggest you'd be pleasantly surprised.

John Brush
  • Options

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

There's a LOT that you don't see in these pictures.
    Machinery, silica gel, intercept shield stuff, etc...but great points!

John Brush
  • Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

I assumed the coins were stored by DLRC on the East Coast.

That would make my life easier! Occasionally they make a pit stop here though.

John Brush

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file