Home U.S. Coin Forum

So this guy comes here for error coin advice ...

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 13, 2019 12:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

... and get the truthful news that it is PMD and not an error.

Fred chimes in.

Heather closes the thread.

Now, this coin is for sale as an "error" coin when the guy who asked for a professional opinion and then lists this coin as an error knowing it isn't.

https://ebay.com/itm/1998-Roosevelt-Dime-With-Major-Error/113887058421?hash=item1a843299f5:g:zl0AAOSwdjtdeqSz

Shame :'(

Comments

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes questions aren't questions. They are quests to have someone confirm what they already "know"! ;)

As I'm sure YOU know, any error collector needs to have a much deeper understanding of the minting process than "normal" coin collectors do. That's not an easy set of knowledge to obtain. If you ain't got it, then that...thing...looks like an error.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

>

As I'm sure YOU know, any error collector needs to have a much deeper understanding of the minting process than "normal" coin collectors do. That's not an easy set of knowledge to obtain. If you ain't got it, then that...thing...looks like an error.

Yes, But I have seen soo many obviously faked error coins get multiple bids to 3 figures when the coin is only worth face if that. Tuition I guess for the buyer. As to the seller of these, I can not say what I want to as I do not want to get banned >:)

One more thing about these types of sellers, They never last long.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say is................WOW :'(

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

He's got this one for sale also
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-P-Roosevelt-Dime-With-Rare-Mint-Error/113887089681
    1999 P Roosevelt Dime With Rare Mint Error

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that the coin he was going to slab?

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

No, it’s the coin (he said) he was going to slab.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

No, it’s the coin (he said) he was going to slab.😉

Lol.

I'm not sure he ever committed to it. Lol. But he was sure we were wrong.

Only $550 BIN if you don't want to risk losing it in the auction

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it makes any difference, at least we now have a name and a town & state.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... unbelievable....that is clear and obvious fraud....too bad. I certainly hope no one gets burned by this. Cheers, RickO

Some people are willing to sell their integrity for a very low price.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

I see almost every error coin and pretty much have a photographic memory so no need for anyone wanting to try this stunt again to even waste their time.

@ricko said:
    Wow... unbelievable....that is clear and obvious fraud....too bad. I certainly hope no one gets burned by this. Cheers, RickO

I reported it, but I don't know whether eBay will consider it a "fake" error or not.

@jmlanzaf said:

@ricko said:

I reported it, but I don't know whether eBay will consider it a "fake" error or not.

If enough of us do they will pull it

@jmlanzaf said:

@ricko said:

I reported it under “keyword spamming” though I don’t know if Ebay will agree with that categorization, either.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reported it to eBay as a fraudulent listing. When the top error guy in America tells you it isn't an error coin, and you nevertheless list it on eBay as a rare error coin, that's fraud.

• TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, how sad. No doubt about it he knows he is misleading people. If he honestly still thinks it is a mint error, than why wouldn't he send it in to get authenticated.

I have reported the item, who is with me??? :s

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the sale was his plan from the get-go
    That's why he was so argumentative.....

@1630Boston said:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-P-Roosevelt-Dime-With-Rare-Mint-Error/113887089681
    1999 P Roosevelt Dime

What is this error supposed to be? Smh

Well, if he comes back here, this thread might get interesting.

@jmlanzaf said:

Go ahead and PM him :D>:):o

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I don't go looking for trouble. It just finds me. Lol

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@1630Boston said:
    1999 P Roosevelt Dime

What is this error supposed to be? Smh

The dime has a D mintmark but it should be a P mintmark. Not totally sure but that's my best guess.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I don't go looking for trouble. It just finds me. Lol

Me too bro, me too B)

Here is his exact description ...

"1998 Roosevelt Dime With Major Error! . Shipped with USPS First Class Package. Take a close look, very unique error, a must have for any serious collector! This may be the last chance to buy such an interesting coin, guaranteed to be authentic! Good luck, and happy bidding"

This comes very close to if not crosses the line to the f**** word but I will not use it.

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

If free shipping, I would consider the buy between 5 and 8 cents.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised Jwright1125 hasn't checked in to see the reaction to his eBay listing. ("@" intentionally omitted...)

Smitten with DBLCs.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fraud?

Friendly?

Fierce?

Fun?

Filly?

Flea?

Few?

Fraud.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disgusting.

I have on occasion searched "error coin" and ventured into the eBay swamp of fake and misidentified errors and the range of ignorance and/or fraud is breathe taking.

@JBK said:
    Disgusting.

I have on occasion searched "error coin" and ventured into the eBay swamp of fake and misidentified errors and the range of ignorance and/or fraud is breathe taking.

Many sellers have no idea their coin is fake and throw up on ebay with it.

this, however, is a much different case.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported as fraudulent listing.

• earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Ditto

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it interesting in this information age, that I see more and more of these know it all folks. They all seem to have some social adjustment issues that keep them from 1) Willing to learn from others 2) Make up errors, DDO, RPMS that do not even exist 3) fail to seek references to validate their claims. And mostly - keep posting their @#$%^&*on ebay!!!!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:
    Seller must be impressed by the "38 viewed per hour". Big money coming!! I think I might "watch" it and add it to my cart too.

That will only make it appear more attractive to some unsuspecting collector who will be burned.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does one come up with a BIN for $549? 😳

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 5:46PM

The original photo looks like it's from a milk carton.

"Have you seen this error coin?"

Best,
    Daniel

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace

Listing ended by seller.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

his is to funny I found this in change within the last month.
    I'm not if I thru it out or put it in my change
    bucket

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

I've got one I posted last week here for a serious question.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1025383/three-layers-of-a-roosevelt-dime#latest

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feedback = 84; all as a buyer. Probably should stick with buying.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the quarter from that set from the grocery store this week and threw it in the change jar.

Let me know if I should dig it out and price it accordingly .

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    his is to funny I found this in change within the last month.
    I'm not if I thru it out or put it in my change
    bucket

Wow, if he was asking $549, yours must be worth at least $611.46. :D

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@TommyType said:

>

Yes, But I have seen soo many obviously faked error coins get multiple bids to 3 figures when the coin is only worth face if that. Tuition I guess for the buyer. As to the seller of these, I can not say what I want to as I do not want to get banned >:)

One more thing about these types of sellers, They never last long.

If the heel fits, shoo it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file