Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone seen an error like this before?

I ran across this today, don't know where to start researching it. can anyone tell me about it please?

Comments

• Options

I doubt that, to do that much damage directly to the edges with a hammer I would think the rim would be like it is and the coin would be bent but its not, its perfectly flat

• Options

Doesn't seem like this kind of damage could be made to the obverse wth a hammer without destroying the letters on the reverse right?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jwright1125

Doesn't seem like this kind of damage could be made to the obverse wth a hammer without destroying the letters on the reverse right?

Ask yourself how a coin press would do that...it couldn't.

Put a coin in a vise. Bang on the edge with a hammer and chisel, and you can do that. Or something similar.

It is not an error coin. It is just damage, inflicted either accidentally or in purpose.

Welcome to the board.

• Options

I don't understand how damage like this could've been done and the rim still look like it does. And the coin still be perfectly flat. It doesn't seem possible to strike the reverse hard enough to push the front out in this way, in such a specifically round manner, without destroying the letters directly opposite on the reverse or even bending the coin at all

• Options

@Jwright1125 said:
    I don't understand how damage like this could've been done and the rim still look like it does. And the coin still be perfectly flat. It doesn't seem possible to strike the reverse hard enough to push the front out in this way, in such a specifically round manner, without destroying the letters directly opposite on the reverse or even bending the coin at all

And, again, hhow would a coin press do it?

It is post mint damage. If you don't believe us, invest the $40 and send it to PCGS and they will give you an expert opinion. But that is going to be $40 wasted when they also tell you it is just damage.

• Options

Does it have reeding on the edge?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

No error here. There is zero possibility this coin came out of the mint looking like that and then wore naturally. These guys are the pros. Listen to them.

• Options
    Jwright1125Jwright1125 Posts: 11
    edited September 12, 2019 3:43AM

and how would it be possible for the obverse where the date is be pushed out like this and also pushed out in the same place on the rear? Was it somehow swollen in this area due to a vice and a hammer? Somehow seems unlikely

• Options

I see reeding on the edge. So, tell me, hhow does a 50 ton press come down on the coin and mangle it while the ROUND collar puts reeding on the edge? IT CANNOT HAPPEN in the minting process. How would a 50 ton vise squeeze the coin and have the coin pushed out on both sides.

Either someone intentionally messed with it in a vise or it got caught in some piece of heavy machinery. But it definitely happened AFTER it was minted as is PMD.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, it’s not an error, but rather, post-production damage. And that’s regardless of whether anyone can say exactly how it occurred or how much you might wish it to be an error.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Heavy machinery? Heavy like like a 50 TON PRESS heavy, or a different heavy? lmao

• Options

@Jwright1125 said:
    Heavy machinery? Heavy like like a 50 TON PRESS heavy, or a different heavy? lmao

Now you are just trolling.

Send it to PCGS. They deserve the business.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jwright1125 said:

Since you don't understand how this error could be PMD, can you explain how the error be produced by the US Mint?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

road rage

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Jwright1125Jwright1125 Posts: 11
    edited September 12, 2019 4:05AM

I've seen coins that are also seemingly impossible to have been caused by a round die but somehow still managed to happen, like these. and I'm looking for answers from someone who may know more than me, definetly not "trolling" as you put it, sir. Thank you for your lack of an at least somewhat educated answer but I'm not going to argue with you, so have a great day. The reeding seems to have been a little outta whack on these too but it still happened

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have Post Mint Damage... Not a mint error. The people on this forum are many of the numismatic worlds leading experts. Because you do not understand the damage, and do not understand the minting process, does not mean the information given here is wrong. Cheers, RickO

• Options

And to answer the other gentlemans question. If I knew how it happened would I have to be on here asking other collectors? And obviously nobody else can explain it either, just to say they don't know either, so we'll just assume its PMD. Great, thanks for the help

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the experts on the "Q&A Forum" would know.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Obviously the coin has some PMD, after all its been circulated for 21 years but I don't believe that's why its shaped like it is.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jwright1125 said:

I've seen coins that are also seemingly impossible to have been caused by a round die but somehow still managed to happen, like these. and I'm looking for answers from someone who may know more than me, definetly not "trolling" as you put it, sir. Thank you for your lack of an at least somewhat educated answer but I'm not going to argue with you, so have a great day. The reeding seems to have been a little outta whack on these too but it still happened

How is this pictured coin an 'impossible' strike ?

• Options

Not impossible, just extremely unlikely. I believe I read this is the only known example?

• Options

@Jwright1125 said:
    Not impossible, just extremely unlikely. I believe I read this is the only known example?

Multiple strikes happen. It is not impossible. It is easily explained within the normal minting process. when a coin fails to eject from the press.

Mark Feld is a noted numismatist who has also weighed in with PMD. Everyone on this thread, each of whom have decades of experience recognize your coin as having PMD.

If you don't believe any of us, send it in to PCGS. My offer stands: if it comes back as a genuine error, I'll pay the slabbing fees. You can't beat that.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

mutilated coin, not any kind of "error"

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@Jwright1125 said:

There is no "educated answer" to the 100,000 ways coins get damaged. I gave you a quite educated answer based on years of experience, you simply don't like the answer.

You are asking the question backwards. When confronted with unusual coins, numismatists start by asking how it could happen IN THE MINTING PROCESS. When the answer is that it could not, then the coin is either intentionally altered or damaged. Numismatists do not start by asking how it could have happened in the wild and when they don't know decide it is a Mint Error.

If you understand how the minting process works, there is no way to make the coin you have in the Minting process. It is easy to explain how the multiply struck coin you showed happens in the minting process. There are even more dramatic multiple strikes out there.

It is Post Mint Damage. Doesn't the fact that everyone who has responded to this thread saying exactly the same thing suggest anything?

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jwright1125 said:
    And to answer the other gentlemans question. If I knew how it happened would I have to be on here asking other collectors? And obviously nobody else can explain it either, just to say they don't know either, so we'll just assume its PMD. Great, thanks for the help

Others have explained it, you just don't like the answer. There is no assumption it's PMD. It is PMD.

There are in infinite number of ways coins get damaged after leaving the Mint, but only a limited number of ways an error coin is produced. Understanding the minting process goes a long way in knowing whether or not a coin is an error.

Your coin is unique* ... then again, so are most PMD coins.

*Unique in the sense of it being 'one of a kind' not unique in the sense of being a cool or interesting coin.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jwright1125

Welcome to the forums.

You asked for opinions and you got them.

Then turned around and preferred an argumentative response.

The solve is easy. Send it to a TPGS for authentication and or grading.

Please post the results when you get them back.

Good luck!

PS: Life is too short to play with PMD.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more vote for PMD.

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin was smashed and bashed and then flattened back down. I do it all the time when counterstamping coins.

As has been said, you need to be able to explain how an error occurred, and if you understood the minting process you would immediately know it is not an error.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

An obvious damaged coin, nothing more and no further comment should be needed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jwright1125 said:
    I guess I'll risk the $30 and send it to get graded. Thank you

I would risk losing a rare one of a kind error for a song and sell it on eBay with a no reserve auction starting at 1 cent.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin could not have been struck in a collar at the mint. In addition, your coin doesn't look anything like errors that are struck outside the collar. Those are facts. Therefore if it can't be made like that at the mint, it must be...………….(waiting for it)……………………….Post Mint Damage.

The damage is easy to replicate. Place the coin in a vise, hit it a few times with a hammer, and squeeze the rims flat again. When I was a kid, I used to experiment making "error coins" with the vice on my grandfathers tool bench. If your coin was dated in the 70's, it could have been one of mine :D

You received opinions from some extremely knowledgeable numismatists who have spent decades studying coins. They consistently demonstrate their knowledge by the quality of their posts on this forum. If you still feel they are incorrect, send the coin to a TPG. It may be closer to $50 in fees, but hopefully, that will satisfy you. If it were me, I'd trust the experts and usethe $50 on something more interesting

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your money.

It is a damaged dime, and not an error coin of any kind or type.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
This discussion has been closed.