Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

September card purchases. Show 'em off!

stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2, 2019 10:19AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff! I love OPC rough cut, that 1980 Ryan is a beauty.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Remember when these were through the roof??!! How high did they get? Just saw this at a local card shop and couldn’t help myself

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moonman said:
    Remember when these were through the roof??!! How high did they get? Just saw this at a local card shop and couldn’t help myself

I remember how hot these were in 1998. Here we are 21 years later, and if I found one in nice enough condition, I'd drop the bucks for it too.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty good Jason.

How much was the shop asking. I've always felt I was obligated to knock them down a bit since they seem to always think the card is worth more?

Mike

@Stone193 said:

Looks pretty good Jason.

How much was the shop asking. I've always felt I was obligated to knock them down a bit since they seem to always think the card is worth more?

Picked it up for $15 . It’s easily an 8

• Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@Moonman said:

That was a great deal!

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moonman said:

@Stone193 said:

Looks pretty good Jason.

Nice get.

Mike
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

really like your 74 topps cards. also the Schmidt rookie is great looking.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:
    trying to put together a hall of fame set of psa graded desert shield cards.

Solid card. Nice!

@NGS428 said:

@lwehlers said:

Solid card. Nice!

got that one two months ago. I just got the ripken last week. I missed out on the brett and yount that ended yesterday because I did not pay attention.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:

@NGS428 said:

@lwehlers said:

Solid card. Nice!

got that one two months ago. I just got the ripken last week. I missed out on the brett and yount that ended yesterday because I did not pay attention.

Yount would have been nice too. Do you snipe? If not, that is why you should. 🙂

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2019 7:57PM

I know I'll never own either of their HG single rookies but this is a nice consolation

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Wow, GarveyFan those cards are insane. Hard to believe gems like those are still out there.
    The McGwire is a classic and still an icon.
    Cool idea on the Desert Shield HOF set.
    And lastly, I love UD hockey Young Guns. The checklist High Gloss is a smart move.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

picked these up yesterday and the clipping is from a toronto globe newspaper from a local antique shop. the paper is dated 1880

I love finding old sports pages, I found some in my grandfathers basement that talked about a new up and comer named Babe Ruth

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Chris - Full Size! Nice!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slimies, what’s the significance of the Croshere card? I’m a life long Providence College fan and Croshere is my favorite Friar of my lifetime.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Slimies, what’s the significance of the Croshere card? I’m a life long Providence College fan and Croshere is my favorite Friar of my lifetime.

Is it because ‘Danger’ is his middle name? 😂

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2019 12:09PM

I purchased a mixed card bundle from ebay and that was one of the cards in the box,, i liked the look of it . if wish i can scan some of the others in the box as soon as able. it was a mix of football/basketball/hockey/baseball.

The Jeter is numbered 85/99.

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:

Wow love the Gostkowski! Don't see many of those. I need to track down a nice auto of his.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

@Bearkat21 said:
    Added a new one to my Acuna RC collection. Still can’t believe I bought a snowflake variant.

Very nice Acuna.

Headed to Suntrust Park this month to see him play. He is the real deal.

@Huskies11 said:

@CommemKing said:

Wow love the Gostkowski! Don't see many of those. I need to track down a nice auto of his.

Me too!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Continuing with the autos this month

14/25 and 013/170

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

Outstanding, Dan! I love team photos like those.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few from a recent sub. Tons of others but I like Sp variations and I just think the Kershaw is a cool looking card.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a /12 is up for auction, there's no choice, just win it:

Sorry for the scuzz

Mike, that is INCREDIBLE! Congrats on landing such an awesome piece!

Yaz Master Set

• Mike, that trophy is such a cool pickup. Congrats!

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing find! What a trophy! That was my favorite baseball team of my childhood. I love all things '89 Athletics. Hell, I'm just trying to find a nice '89 team autographed baseball let alone a World Series Trophy! Battle of the bay, the earthquake, the bash brothers, whats not to like. Simply stunning!

Congratulations, Mike! That is truly amazing, a piece of history.

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I can't even fathom posting anything this month after seeing that trophy. What an amazing pickup!

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got 2 in the mail today.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shaq.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Another non-traditional pickup 😀 This book was published in 1949 and was sold by Marks & Spencer. It’s just under 100 pages. Plan is to digitize it so I can enjoy it when I’m away from home.

If you are curious to see an example of how it will look digitized, you can check out another football album that received the same treatment at https://www.mybrokensite.com/ChixAlbum/

. > @Stone193 said:

Sorry this got longer than I expected....

My first national was at Atlanta in 1992.

There were well over 900 table numbers - the room was immense!

I was immediately overwhelmed by the amount of incredible items to see.

A guy with an entire table of nothing but WS press pins, someone with exclusively GU jerseys, another with just bats, balls and other signed items.

I saw someone with a 1933 Goudey pack; another with an 8 pack 52T cello!

There was a dealer actually dealing out stacks (bricks) of RC’s like they were playing cards. (eek)

And then I saw what totally intimidated me. A world series trophy.

I knew nothing about them other than what I saw on TV.

But, I knew it would be a privilege to have one - but, at this point I’m only 2 active years in the hobby - so it was just a dream.

Now, let’s fast forward to today…

Balfour is one of the producers of WS trophies along with rings and press pins e.g.

They make the Commissioner’s trophy at 24” which goes to the team and certain “prominent” individuals.

Then a scaled down version at about 12” goes to players and staff members to include the front office.

I’ve always wanted an example but player trophies go in the 5K and up range.

I almost got a front office trophy from Jon Richmond/jonstats of eBay but got outbid - was close to 4K

Then my chance came. Goldin Auctions had an 1989 World Series Trophy in fair condition - staff member version - Dave Kelley.

I was simultaneously looking at a trophy to Don Baylor but it went for close to 5k.

This trophy only had 2 bidders - I was the 2nd and winner!

So, here it is.

Yes, this is my “new” centerpiece - in fact, I’m thinking of building a house around this trophy! ()

The trophy was a bit grungy - wonder if that ran some bidders off? I cleaned it quite a bit before taking the pic. LINK

that is a very great trophy. does every player that wins a world series get a trophy plus a ring.

I just read your whole post you just answered my question.