Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

August Card Purchases... Show Us What You Got!

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Francart said:

@softparade said:
    Epic early Donruss racks loaded with HOF’ers just acquired :)

>
    Those 84 racks are sweet! What size top loader are you storing those in?

Thanks! Those top loaders are the same that BBCE sells and wraps racks into.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krisd3279 said:
    This arrived today. #/25

Awesome Donnie card!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    Many years ago- almost a dozen- I moved cross country here to Vegas for a) better weather and b) more enjoyable work. I had to shove a whole bunch of stuff into multiple storage units and was only able to pack enough to completely fill my Toyota Camry to the gills. Somehow shoved six 5000 count boxes into my back seat area and drove 2800+ miles here. Once I found a pad I rented a storage unit and into the unit went these boxes along with a metal storage cabinet so they'd stay dry and safe. Fast forward to early this year when I decide to upgrade my pad and relocate. Newer pad is great so I decide hey let's upgrade it all so I can get back to doing my cards again like I used to. I take out one 5000 ct box and start going thru it. I realize its all 1950'-80's stuff I've relocated from MA to CT and now to Vegas.

A bunch gets separated and sent out to the Team Collectors and roughly 400 or so I decide to grade. Batch 1 has just come back in the latest PSA sub.Was happy to see that despite dragging these cards around since the mid 80's I was STILL able to keep them in good shape :)

I also got these back as well from this sub. The Fournette came from a FREE pack of Panini Pack a Day an ebay seller sent me for buying his stuff- certainly appreciated that gesture !!

Really enjoyed those images; haven’t seen those cards in a long time. 82/83 Donruss set design has grown steadily on me over the years. 84 Fleer always a great looking, clean design with several iconic cards for that era. I loved the Update Saberhagen as a kid. And those Baseball’s Best sets were always star packed, loved those as a kid.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    kcherevkakcherevka Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

A couple cards for my Clemente Master Set:

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2019 8:43PM

I've mostly been selling this month, and any purchases have been to fuel my 2A hobby, but added this Roy that I kept forgetting to bid on when available:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @stevegarveyfan ......is that all?!

I didn't post pics of all of them, but at today's show in Allen, TX there was a seller who had a bunch of really nice '71s. Few were centered perfectly, but there were plenty that were centered well enough with razor corners. I bought almost all of those. Commons all, and I'd rather have purchased major stars, but those commons were way too nice to pass up. You just don't see raw '71s like that.

• Options
    BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Redskins Ring of Fame Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:

@MLBdays said:
    @stevegarveyfan ......is that all?!

I didn't post pics of all of them, but at today's show in Allen, TX there was a seller who had a bunch of really nice '71s. Few were centered perfectly, but there were plenty that were centered well enough with razor corners. I bought almost all of those. Commons all, and I'd rather have purchased major stars, but those commons were way too nice to pass up. You just don't see raw '71s like that.

I agree. The LCS had someone bring in a raw collection of 70T and 71T a few months ago. They were all razor sharp. I bought every one of them I needed and upgraded several I already had.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    With the help of CU member @vettfanatic , I finally obtained a card I have wanted to own since I was a kid. And it’s an example I am very happy with! Thanks Jeff!

That was an Everest card when I was a kid. Always wanted it but the price for a 12 year old was unrealistic. Nice example!

Andy

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also a couple of other pickups from the East Coast National....

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    Pretty happy with these pickups.

great looking brett and Schmidt rookie.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

Really enjoyed those images; haven’t seen those cards in a long time. 82/83 Donruss set design has grown steadily on me over the years. 84 Fleer always a great looking, clean design with several iconic cards for that era. I loved the Update Saberhagen as a kid. And those Baseball’s Best sets were always star packed, loved those as a kid.

Plenty of 30's-80's stuff buried that I'm going thru from the younger days to rekindle your " yute" ;)
    If you care to waste some time reading feel free to check out a post I'm updating slowly as I empty out my storage unit(s)
    Rekindling the collection "fires" while I downsize from several million items to a more manageable 50,000 or so
    It's been fun researching some stuff I'd forgotten about and actually learning new areas including a few I'll need to research even further. Gives me something to look forward to when I pack in my work clothes for my "retirement" golf outfits B)

365 days of red sox post

I've loved the learning / growth aspect of the research and always like additional info I may not know or pics I may not have seen.

Updated the scan with a better background on this one . Looks better than the clear background one I had earlier.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took the plunge on this lower grade Mick....

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019 8:28AM

Not a card (yet), but my only win in the REA auction, but a painting I've wanted since 2014.

I had expected to see this piece for sale in the HOF store in Cooperstown during HOF Weekend 2014; however, when I arrived there were no Dick Perez paintings, and I learned he had discontinued his official NBBHOF post card series just a couple of years before. I was disappointed and assumed no HOF portrait had been painted of Big Frank.

As it turns out, one was produced. As the owner, I may now have to produce my own postcards in the style of the HOF portrait series.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Finally got to my Mantle 8.5 I picked up about two weeks ago, and really pleased with the card in hand. Knowing that Matty C had owned it meant it was a well centered card with good eye appeal. At the National I had a few dealers and one grading company look at the 7.5 and all suggested I review the Mantle 7.5 - having it next to the 8,5 definitely confirms I need to get it checked out.

Keith,

Great pickup of that 8.5 mantle. I was watching that one myself....I've been in the market for a nice 7, 7.5, or 8, and i did see that 7.5 SGC at Jeff's table at the National and it blew me away. I'd be interested to find out if you cross that, what grade it comes back as. It definitely seemed out of place in the 7.5 holder, IMO. Good Luck!

Jeremy

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another Jordan card.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Steve

That's a really righteous 53T Mantle - centering is nice and most importantly his portrait looks great.

Mike
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Reggie White family 1999 Pro Bowl presentation watch with box (presented to his wife)

This turned out to be Reggie's last Pro Bowl appearance.

Being a Tennessee Vols fan I love it.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Mike much appreciated!!

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went to a pretty large show over the weekend in DFW. I decided I wanted to grab a particular card that I had multiple copies of a few years ago that I regretted selling. Only issue is the card has exploded since I sold my copies. I had some PayPal in tow but with looming grading fees about to hit my credit card my best bet grab a few high grade RCs of hot players that were more expendable and do some wheeling and dealing. The show had about 100 tables and to my dismay only one of the card I was looking for in the grade I wanted. The dealer wanted to trade for some of my stuff but wanted cash or PayPal only for the card in question. I decided to work the room. I hit a few different tables and a few Yelich, Acuna, Mahomes, and yes Joey Gallo cards later (we were in DFW mind you), I walked out with this

Now I need to decide if I want to sell another Acuna and get another PSA 10 Iconic RC with thousands of copies. The 89 Upper Deck Griffey.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    Went to a pretty large show over the weekend in DFW. I decided I wanted to grab a particular card that I had multiple copies of a few years ago that I regretted selling. Only issue is the card has exploded since I sold my copies. I had some PayPal in tow but with looming grading fees about to hit my credit card my best bet grab a few high grade RCs of hot players that were more expendable and do some wheeling and dealing. The show had about 100 tables and to my dismay only one of the card I was looking for in the grade I wanted. The dealer wanted to trade for some of my stuff but wanted cash or PayPal only for the card in question. I decided to work the room. I hit a few different tables and a few Yelich, Acuna, Mahomes, and yes Joey Gallo cards later (we were in DFW mind you), I walked out with this

Now I need to decide if I want to sell another Acuna and get another PSA 10 Iconic RC with thousands of copies. The 89 Upper Deck Griffey.

Wow. That is impressive. Gorgeous card.

• Options

Being a Tennessee Vols fan I love it.

Thanx!

Mike
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keith,

Great pickup of that 8.5 mantle. I was watching that one myself....I've been in the market for a nice 7, 7.5, or 8, and i did see that 7.5 SGC at Jeff's table at the National and it blew me away. I'd be interested to find out if you cross that, what grade it comes back as. It definitely seemed out of place in the 7.5 holder, IMO. Good Luck!

Jeremy

Jeremy

Thank you for the note and glad to find another nice 8,5. Have owned several nice 8’s and 8.5’s and 56 is my favorite year for Mantle. Funny thing is I bought the 7.5 from Heritage back in the spring as a placeholder until I could find a centered 8/8.5. After looking at it numerous times over the last couple of weeks the 7.5 imo looks better than the 8.5 side by side. Only reason I thought about selling it was to pay for the 8.5, but I am going to review it with either PSA or SGC. Showed it to one of the principals at one of them already who thought I should review it as well. No matter what the final grade I am pleased with the card. I am probably selling one of the 5’s for sure to go after another big card in the near future. Thank you again for the note.

KC

• Options

Along with my Reggie White Pro Bowl watch, also, Topps sent me some free cards - I'm guessing they were stuck with more than they could ever sell?

But, who's looking a gift horse? Thanx Topps!

Mike
  • Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Upgraded a recently purchased 8 to a 10:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome first post!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:
    I don't normally post and generally just enjoy reading the posts and absolutely love the photos of the cards folks have acquired. Here's a recent eBay acquisition i'm excited to get graded. It is actually the second one I've acquired. The first has stains from glue or tobacco (i'm assuming) so this without any staining is really awesome!

Those Turf panels are tough to find in nice shape, great pickup! I've got a few of the Sports Series from the following year ...

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2019 8:50AM

@LarkinCollector said:

@dad2cl3 said:
    I don't normally post and generally just enjoy reading the posts and absolutely love the photos of the cards folks have acquired. Here's a recent eBay acquisition i'm excited to get graded. It is actually the second one I've acquired. The first has stains from glue or tobacco (i'm assuming) so this without any staining is really awesome!

Those Turf panels are tough to find in nice shape, great pickup! I've got a few of the Sports Series from the following year ...

Very nice! I'm real curious to see how they grade. Here's the stained one as well as a single I picked up.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@dad2cl3 said:

Cool pickup for sure. Never seen one before. Good luck with the grade.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

When replying to a comment regarding a post where someone adds 20 pics of cards, please don't link the entire post with all the pics included. It sure is a waste of time and bandwidth having to scroll all through the pics again that were posted just a post or two in front of the reply. Rant over.

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

Added this to my boys HOF RC stash.

• Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I’ve pretty much put all my other purchasing on pause and just picking up Acuña

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

ill be scanning some in a bit but a package arrived today in the mail , 270 baseball cards from 1975 ( still going through them to see what i wish to scan )

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

here's a few of the cards from the lot . i don't think ill scan all 270 . lol

• Options

Newest slabs back I'm sure @1951WheatiesPremium will appreciate :#

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    Newest slabs back I'm sure @1951WheatiesPremium will appreciate :#

Most definitely - great items!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 5:43PM

I got this 1981 Marusho Hulk Hogan from Japan this week. Very pleased to add another copy to my collection.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    I got this 1981 Marusho HUlk Hogan from Japan this week. Very pleased to add another copy to my collection.

The one on the right, correct? I recall you having the one at left signed recently?

The one at right looks to be nicer!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Pics of the Elston Howard Rookie Reprint Refractor I pulled from a 1998 Bowman Chrome Box I broke earlier today. Reminds me of my youth when I traded Yankees to my NY buddies for the Red Sox I wanted :# Sad thing is I remember breaking boxes of 1955 Bowman in 1969 -- 50 YEARS AGO-- and didn't feel old til just now when I realize how old I now am :'(

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    I got this 1981 Marusho HUlk Hogan from Japan this week. Very pleased to add another copy to my collection.

The one on the right, correct? I recall you having the one at left signed recently?

The one at right looks to be nicer!

Yes I had the copy on the left signed recently and had to do a little damage to the card to save it while wiping off the smeared silver ink where he inscribed Ichiban. That said the copy on the right is nicer than the left ever was so that is good.

I will take a copy of this card in any condition so that is what I like the most.