Home Precious Metals
Options

Which will gold price hit first: $1500 or $900?

13»

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'm blaming this run up on the trade war"

Absolutely, and if even a hint of a settlement is on the horizon....well, I hope some of you have taken profits.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019 8:43PM

This run up is a result of a loss of confidence in the future strength of the dollar in the face of a multi-nation currency war. Many things affect the dollar, keep your eye on the dollar.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm willing to consider a currency war threat, but I've been posting graphs of the dollar index and gold.

The dollar index has been sideways, not down.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

"loss of confidence in the future strength of the dollar"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The entire economic situation - trade war, dollar, debt, currency war... all are impacting the PM situation.... I wish I had a functional crystal ball....my mental crystal ball has long been defective... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 13, 2019 10:38AM

@derryb said:
    "loss of confidence in the future strength of the dollar"

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/discounting-mechanism.asp

Discounting mechanism is the premise that the stock market essentially discounts, or takes into consideration, all available information and present and potential future events.

I can live with that.

unfortunately, the currency market and the gold market are short sighted.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still buying , selling , and trading ...at the top. Retirement is nowhere near here, yet. And this thread is still fun to read.
    Now (on a personal note) ...if I'd have only switched my 401k to a gold IRA sooner. (Like four years ago

• Options

Understanding a currency war

"We define winning a currency war as successfully weakening one’s currency to induce a pick-up in net exports, without significant negative inflation or domestic asset-market consequences. Developed economies have an advantage because their bond markets generally respond favourably to monetary easing, even when the currency weakens."

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Of note: Gold $2,000 is only a 25% move from here. Since September 2018 (11 months ago), we’ve experienced a 26% surge in gold prices.

The 2nd leg will be shorter. Very likely $2K before Christmas.

Dbcconomics, buyers beware...

keceph `anah
  • Options

• Options

with our global economy, currency declines help the companies' internal business, but their foreign business gets hurt.

the usa has many companies with a lot of foreign business, enough that it would hurt them. we are a major player after all.