Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ever done ‘IT’?

I don’t think I’m the only person who has card fantasies; I’m not ashamed to admit it. Some involve a flying Delorean, others involve a dream find at a yard sale but the one I have most often is the ‘Sell/Trade it ALL for that one card’ fantasy. For me it’s 52T311 but obviously for everyone out there, the unattainable ‘dream card’ differs.

Just curious if anyone out there fantasizes about doing it too, what the card is, or maybe even if someone out there reading ever did it, if they had regrets or are still overjoyed? Advice you’d give to others on such a move?

No big personal imminent decision or advice requested; in fact, personally, I would almost (but not quite all the way) say it will never happen with me.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Answers

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll tell you what, I would attempt to put a crocodile in a headlock for a 1965 Lampo Cassius Clay gem mint 10.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I don’t think I’m the only person who has card fantasies; I’m not ashamed to admit it. Some involve a flying Delorean, others involve a dream find at a yard sale but the one I have most often is the ‘Sell/Trade it ALL for that one card’ fantasy. For me it’s 52T311 but obviously for everyone out there, the unattainable ‘dream card’ differs.

Just curious if anyone out there fantasizes about doing it too, what the card is, or maybe even if someone out there reading ever did it, if they had regrets or are still overjoyed? Advice you’d give to others on such a move?

No big personal imminent decision or advice requested; in fact, personally, I would almost (but not quite all the way) say it will never happen with me.

When I rejoined collectors club a month or two ago, the free book was amazing. Rico Petrocelli provided some
    insight about his recollections of some of the players he played with and against.
    Quite a few baseball card pictures included in the book,
    and a Willie Stargell rookie PSA 10 was pictured. Blew my mind! That would be a dream card for me.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a real tough question for me. There are some truly unattainable cards I covet, but at the same time I would need to trade/sell some other items that are irreplaceable in their own rights.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an interesting concept and one that is fun to think about. However, I don't think it would be possible for me to enjoy/appreciate one card, regardless of value or rarity, as much as I can all of the cards in my collection. I think that I would get bored looking at just one card over and over, no matter how nice it may be.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Tim

Interesting post.

I'm not a real card collector here.

I switched years ago.

I collect baseball board games and small vending machines - BB oriented all and all.

As Todd said - it would not be satisfying to just have one card like a T206 Wagner to look at all day long.

Mike
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    It is an interesting concept and one that is fun to think about. However, I don't think it would be possible for me to enjoy/appreciate one card, regardless of value or rarity, as much as I can all of the cards in my collection. I think that I would get bored looking at just one card over and over, no matter how nice it may be.

That puts us in the same boat, I guess. You with your lacrosse collection and me my Yankees...

...I have used PSA’s service mainly for posthumous purposes, Todd. I really hate selling anything unless I’ve upgraded. I just figure the holder will help identify the item and create liquidity.

I guess, to further elaborate, I didn’t mean buy it and stop collecting. Think of it as restarting around a greater nucleus.

One of the best pieces of advice I got is most pieces are replaceable. Obviously not all cards and budgets apply (in a good and bad way) but if you have a nice 5-7 of your favorite card from say 1965 Topps, you can find another - often a dead ringer or even a nicer one - and that it’s ok for the slot to be empty a week, month or even year.

Put succinctly, most of us will only be leasing these cards - they’ll go back to the market eventually...

Good luck everyone

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited April 16, 2019 1:33PM

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Tim

Interesting post.

I'm not a real card collector here.

I switched years ago.

I collect baseball board games and small vending machines - BB oriented all and all.

As Todd said - it would not be satisfying to just have one card like a T206 Wagner to look at all day long.

Yes - the Exhibit machine. Wiry dans electric baseball, too.

What about all the Babe Ruth rings and other awesome cereal premiums? And your smaller stack of cards you keep in the safe, Mike?

You’re one of my favorites here. I read most of your posts. Total class act and I try to emulate your style.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx for the kind words Tim.

Your Wheaties cards are the envy of any premium collector for sure.

Mike
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the best pieces of advice I got is most pieces are replaceable. Obviously not all cards and budgets apply (in a good and bad way) but if you have a nice 5-7 of your favorite card from say 1965 Topps, you can find another - often a dead ringer or even a nicer one - and that it’s ok for the slot to be empty a week, month or even year.

Put succinctly, most of us will only be leasing these cards - they’ll go back to the market eventually...

Good luck everyone

For the most part, I believe that. I'm sure that with my lacrosse collection there are multiple examples out in the wild of every card I own, so I don't get too upset if I miss one at auction, etc.

For my other collection, autographed AFL cards, your statement fits the bill most of the time as well. However, after 20 years of assembling my signed sets I am down to the final seven signed cards. Over this long time I have never seen a signed example of any of them, so I need to jump when one finally does appear or I might not ever get another opportunity to complete the set.

It's kind of funny... Some of these signed cards are exceptionally rare, but very few people want or care about them. I've set bids bids for some at around $300, only to ultimately win them for the opening bid of $9.99. There are just not a lot of people out there that are clamoring for a signed example of a 1960 Fleer Jim Padgett card.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

@AFLfan said:

Good luck everyone

For the most part, I believe that. I'm sure that with my lacrosse collection there are multiple examples out in the wild of every card I own, so I don't get too upset if I miss one at auction, etc.

For my other collection, autographed AFL cards, your statement fits the bill most of the time as well. However, after 20 years of assembling my signed sets I am down to the final seven signed cards. Over this long time I have never seen a signed example of any of them, so I need to jump when one finally does appear or I might not ever get another opportunity to complete the set.

It's kind of funny... Some of these signed cards are exceptionally rare, but very few people want or care about them. I've set bids bids for some at around $300, only to ultimately win them for the opening bid of $9.99. There are just not a lot of people out there that are clamoring for a signed example of a 1960 Fleer Jim Padgett card.

That $300 max bid on a 9.99 win comes from having missed on a few and no longer taking chances.

I know it well.

Any every so often, you almost can’t help but feel a little bad for the other guy when YOU end paying $200 and he’s left thinking HE got screwed!

Sound about right? :wink::smiley:

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mickey Mantle Rookie Card.😁👍

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

For me it's the 48 leaf boxing Rocky Graziano. It's exceedingly rare. So rare you don't even have to have in order to have a complete set. I'm about 15-20 cards away from completing my set. I know I'll never see a Graziano. It's as rare as any rare card you can think of.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remedylane said:
    For me it's the 48 leaf boxing Rocky Graziano. It's exceedingly rare. So rare you don't even have to have in order to have a complete set. I'm about 15-20 cards away from completing my set. I know I'll never see a Graziano. It's as rare as any rare card you can think of.

While I agree with your general premise, that the Graziano is exceedingly rare, and sympathize with your situation as somebody building the set, PSA has graded 7 copies and SGC has graded a few. I can think of cards with half as many graded copies, or less. In fact, I'm hunting one myself.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@remedylane said:

While I agree with your general premise, that the Graziano is exceedingly rare, and sympathize with your situation as somebody building the set, PSA has graded 7 copies and SGC has graded a few. I can think of cards with half as many graded copies, or less. In fact, I'm hunting one myself.

I'm sure there are more rare cards. I mean less than 20 graded copies , or less than 10 graded copies are equally rare to me. Perhaps not from a mathematical standpoint, but from the standpoint of I will likely never see one.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I fantasize about going into an attic and finding a box of 1950's cards. Of course the Mantle is there !!!
    I am in peoples house all the time and see sports collections sometimes that are beyond belief.
    One guy had a full basement finished off with lighted display cases full of real full size signed NFL helmets, memorabilia and wall to wall signed pictures. Probably at least 500 sigs. Many were HOFers.
    Another had at least 300 (he said at least) of Miami Dolphins. He was a sports agent of a local Miami Dolphin on the 72 team and ran the Dan Marino foundation.
    Seeing these massive collections is inspiring and makes me feel like a minnow in the ocean.
    Last year a lady said she had her deceased husbands collection and he attended many shows in the 1970's and 80's.
    Didn't get to see it.

Years ago my baseball coach said "come with me I have someone you will want to meet."
    It was Graziano. At the time I didn't know who he was and didn't get a auto.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agreed to have just one woman in my life...I won't make the same commitment to a single card! B)

• Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I've had this same fantasy. Right now the most valuable Jordan card is the '97-98 PMG green. We just saw one sell for over 350k. I'd trade for that, sell it, buy my collection back, buy my Jordan wish list & live happily ever after.
    Of course if I was smart I'd buy a house with that but it's a fantasy.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

@Air23GOAT said:
    I've had this same fantasy. Right now the most valuable Jordan card is the '97-98 PMG green. We just saw one sell for over 350k. I'd trade for that, sell it, buy my collection back, buy my Jordan wish list & live happily ever after.
    Of course if I was smart I'd buy a house with that but it's a fantasy.

You know, there's a 1995 Upper deck SP overprint card on Ebay and it is a BIN for $1 million. What is the deal with that card?

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impossible. I can't think of a single avenue in sportscard collecting that I wouldn't like to collect -- all sports (and many nonsports), all eras, all countries, I like it all. Narrowing my collection down would be antithetical to what I enjoy the most: learning new things about the hobby.

The difficulty comes in balancing out what stays and what goes since I don't have an unlimited budget. I just recently started down a brand new path in the hobby and it's got my full, undivided attention. Tim, we may need to have a conversation soon about a certain card, if you're still interested.

Arthur

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not into IT.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    You know, there's a 1995 Upper deck SP overprint card on Ebay and it is a BIN for $1 million. What is the deal with that card?

I have no idea why the seller marked it so high. With certain cards that are hard to put a price tag on - like errors - they're worth whatever some collector is willing to pay. Im not that into errors myself but that card's worth is nowhere near a million dollars.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• I can tell you guys- once you get a 52 MIck, its nothing but excitement all the time!!!
    For most its the premier, top of ice-cream. And it was for me in 2013.
    BUT.....
    once this is checked off your 'dream' list, theres always something else next in line.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)

I have to hunt for cards everyday. I enjoy the hunt, the search, the chase. I have to do it everyday, and there's always a card to look for, whether it's a Joe Louis card or a Larry Bird card, or whatever. If there's a day when I'm busy with a lot of work, and I don't have time to hunt......... I go into withdrawal, get irritable, get the shakes, a rash may break out on my skin, followed by nausea and possible cramps.

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

For a mainstream post-war set (I believe most everyone would agree 1948 Leaf is mainstream), I believe the Graziano qualifies as one of, if not the rarest, of cards.

I owned one for a bit. I was surprised I did not enjoy owning it more (the special "connection" is that I share the same last name he used for fighting). For that kind of money, I realized that I am more drawn to game used/worn memorabilia.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • When I was about 12 or so, this card came out. I had literally 20 - 30 of them. I went in the Army 6 yrs later and when I came home on leave, I found out my mother had thrown out all my baseball cards, Comic books (original Spiderman's, Iron Man, Hulk, FF and X-Men) all gone and with it my dreams of becoming a billionaire!

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

@remedylane said:

@DBesse27 said:

@remedylane said:

I'm sure there are more rare cards. I mean less than 20 graded copies , or less than 10 graded copies are equally rare to me. Perhaps not from a mathematical standpoint, but from the standpoint of I will likely never see one.

Some lucky SOB bought this three years ago. I wonder if it'll come up for sale again. https://sports.ha.com/itm/boxing-cards/general/1948-leaf-rocky-graziano-50-psa-ex-mt-65-pop-one-none-higher-/a/50020-51988.s

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭

What did it sell for?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have I ever done "IT"?

well, I do live just outside the real-life Derry and am there almost every day of the week, so yes, I believe I have done "IT"

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.