Ever done ‘IT’?

I don’t think I’m the only person who has card fantasies; I’m not ashamed to admit it. Some involve a flying Delorean, others involve a dream find at a yard sale but the one I have most often is the ‘Sell/Trade it ALL for that one card’ fantasy. For me it’s 52T311 but obviously for everyone out there, the unattainable ‘dream card’ differs.

Just curious if anyone out there fantasizes about doing it too, what the card is, or maybe even if someone out there reading ever did it, if they had regrets or are still overjoyed? Advice you’d give to others on such a move?

No big personal imminent decision or advice requested; in fact, personally, I would almost (but not quite all the way) say it will never happen with me.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Answers

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I'll tell you what, I would attempt to put a crocodile in a headlock for a 1965 Lampo Cassius Clay gem mint 10.

• DarinDarin Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I don’t think I’m the only person who has card fantasies; I’m not ashamed to admit it. Some involve a flying Delorean, others involve a dream find at a yard sale but the one I have most often is the ‘Sell/Trade it ALL for that one card’ fantasy. For me it’s 52T311 but obviously for everyone out there, the unattainable ‘dream card’ differs.

Just curious if anyone out there fantasizes about doing it too, what the card is, or maybe even if someone out there reading ever did it, if they had regrets or are still overjoyed? Advice you’d give to others on such a move?

No big personal imminent decision or advice requested; in fact, personally, I would almost (but not quite all the way) say it will never happen with me.

When I rejoined collectors club a month or two ago, the free book was amazing. Rico Petrocelli provided some
    insight about his recollections of some of the players he played with and against.
    Quite a few baseball card pictures included in the book,
    and a Willie Stargell rookie PSA 10 was pictured. Blew my mind! That would be a dream card for me.

Collecting: Patrick Mahomes rookie cards, the next great NFL quarterback.
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 81 ✭✭

This is a real tough question for me. There are some truly unattainable cards I covet, but at the same time I would need to trade/sell some other items that are irreplaceable in their own rights.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting:
    1964 & 68 Venezuelan Topps
    1974 Topps Red Sox
    Andre Tippett & Tom Brady

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 191 mod

It is an interesting concept and one that is fun to think about. However, I don't think it would be possible for me to enjoy/appreciate one card, regardless of value or rarity, as much as I can all of the cards in my collection. I think that I would get bored looking at just one card over and over, no matter how nice it may be.

Todd Tobias
    PSA Employee & Grateful Collector
    I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and vintage lacrosse cards.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 23,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Tim

Interesting post.

I'm not a real card collector here.

I switched years ago.

I collect baseball board games and small vending machines - BB oriented all and all.

As Todd said - it would not be satisfying to just have one card like a T206 Wagner to look at all day long.

Mike

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    It is an interesting concept and one that is fun to think about. However, I don't think it would be possible for me to enjoy/appreciate one card, regardless of value or rarity, as much as I can all of the cards in my collection. I think that I would get bored looking at just one card over and over, no matter how nice it may be.

That puts us in the same boat, I guess. You with your lacrosse collection and me my Yankees...

...I have used PSA’s service mainly for posthumous purposes, Todd. I really hate selling anything unless I’ve upgraded. I just figure the holder will help identify the item and create liquidity.

I guess, to further elaborate, I didn’t mean buy it and stop collecting. Think of it as restarting around a greater nucleus.

One of the best pieces of advice I got is most pieces are replaceable. Obviously not all cards and budgets apply (in a good and bad way) but if you have a nice 5-7 of your favorite card from say 1965 Topps, you can find another - often a dead ringer or even a nicer one - and that it’s ok for the slot to be empty a week, month or even year.

Put succinctly, most of us will only be leasing these cards - they’ll go back to the market eventually...

Good luck everyone

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited April 16, 2019 1:33PM

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Tim

Interesting post.

I'm not a real card collector here.

I switched years ago.

I collect baseball board games and small vending machines - BB oriented all and all.

As Todd said - it would not be satisfying to just have one card like a T206 Wagner to look at all day long.

Yes - the Exhibit machine. Wiry dans electric baseball, too.

What about all the Babe Ruth rings and other awesome cereal premiums? And your smaller stack of cards you keep in the safe, Mike?

You’re one of my favorites here. I read most of your posts. Total class act and I try to emulate your style.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 23,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx for the kind words Tim.

Your Wheaties cards are the envy of any premium collector for sure.

Mike

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 191 mod

One of the best pieces of advice I got is most pieces are replaceable. Obviously not all cards and budgets apply (in a good and bad way) but if you have a nice 5-7 of your favorite card from say 1965 Topps, you can find another - often a dead ringer or even a nicer one - and that it’s ok for the slot to be empty a week, month or even year.

Put succinctly, most of us will only be leasing these cards - they’ll go back to the market eventually...

Good luck everyone

For the most part, I believe that. I'm sure that with my lacrosse collection there are multiple examples out in the wild of every card I own, so I don't get too upset if I miss one at auction, etc.

For my other collection, autographed AFL cards, your statement fits the bill most of the time as well. However, after 20 years of assembling my signed sets I am down to the final seven signed cards. Over this long time I have never seen a signed example of any of them, so I need to jump when one finally does appear or I might not ever get another opportunity to complete the set.

It's kind of funny... Some of these signed cards are exceptionally rare, but very few people want or care about them. I've set bids bids for some at around $300, only to ultimately win them for the opening bid of $9.99. There are just not a lot of people out there that are clamoring for a signed example of a 1960 Fleer Jim Padgett card.

Todd Tobias
    PSA Employee & Grateful Collector
    I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and vintage lacrosse cards.

@AFLfan said:

Good luck everyone

For the most part, I believe that. I'm sure that with my lacrosse collection there are multiple examples out in the wild of every card I own, so I don't get too upset if I miss one at auction, etc.

For my other collection, autographed AFL cards, your statement fits the bill most of the time as well. However, after 20 years of assembling my signed sets I am down to the final seven signed cards. Over this long time I have never seen a signed example of any of them, so I need to jump when one finally does appear or I might not ever get another opportunity to complete the set.

It's kind of funny... Some of these signed cards are exceptionally rare, but very few people want or care about them. I've set bids bids for some at around $300, only to ultimately win them for the opening bid of $9.99. There are just not a lot of people out there that are clamoring for a signed example of a 1960 Fleer Jim Padgett card.

That $300 max bid on a 9.99 win comes from having missed on a few and no longer taking chances.

I know it well.

Any every so often, you almost can’t help but feel a little bad for the other guy when YOU end paying $200 and he’s left thinking HE got screwed!

Sound about right? :wink: :smiley: