Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

**Post your Vintage Basketball here**

Comments

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally got a Hawkins rookie that I am happy with

And then picked up Hawk's last Topps card, it's a favorite of mine

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Never seen or even heard of the Houbregs card or set. Super nice card !!!!

I think the Wilt just trumped this thread.

Nice cards fellas. I love o see everyone else's collection.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@JBrules said:
    Never good to be posting after UFFDAH!!! That Wilt is beyond ridiculous. The image color and overall registration is just stunning. Not to mention the other qualities like centering and sharp corners.

Anyway thought I would post my latest addition to get this thread back on the front page. I guess this could be considered his rookie card since it is before his 69 Topps card.

Get out of my head, I saw an 8 of that card for the first time today and wanted one for some reason. Agreed on posting after UFFDAH :D

Kyle that is pretty funny. That Hayes card is a good price performer. I was amazed at how cheap I picked up the PSA 10.

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Finally got a Hawkins rookie that I am happy with

Nice Hawk pickup for sure. I had my eye on that card and almost pulled the trigger. Very nice looking 7.5

Nice Hawk pickup for sure. I had my eye on that card and almost pulled the trigger. Very nice looking 7.5

Thanks, centering was better than a lot of 8's I've looked at and when eBay had the 15% off I decided to stop waiting.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules - that "Jack in the Box" Elvin Hayes is super sharp, cool card!!

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 5:26PM

Wow that’s the nicest basketball basketball card I’ve ever set my eyes on.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/dw/1tkfofcwdgbc.jpg

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Never seen or even heard of the Houbregs card or set. Super nice card !!!!

I think the Wilt just trumped this thread.

Nice cards fellas. I love o see everyone else's collection.

That Wilt is special and a real treat to see. Here’s the only thing in my collection That comes close to being in the same league:

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Connie rookie is glorious. The centering on that is a thing of beauty. Ever since I've decided to only buy L/R centering like that my '69 pickups have come to a screeching halt. Great pickup, brother.

Arthur

The 69 & 75 Connie's are absolutely beautiful. Trimmer Awesome 61 pack talk about hard to come by & especially with the main card of the set on the back bravo!

@rtimmer - THAT is a slam dunk pack. Very nice!!

• Sportscards1086Sportscards1086 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Getting back into things... slowly of course.

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Here’s a 1976 McDonalds Sixers card of George McGinnis. The cards are similar to the Johnny Pro Phillies cards.

@45isodd said:
    Here’s a 1976 McDonalds Sixers card of George McGinnis. The cards are similar to the Johnny Pro Phillies cards.

Very cool McGinnis card. I have never seen one before.

Added this Connie Hawkins a while back. Talk about showing some attitude on a card.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Talk about showing some attitude on a card.

That's roughly the expression I would have if everyone started calling me "Connie". Great pickup!

@LarkinCollector said:

@JBrules said:
    Talk about showing some attitude on a card.

That's roughly the expression I would have if everyone started calling me "Connie". Great pickup!

Thanks. That was pretty funny!!!

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Great cards being shared. This thread needs to stay on the front page. I guess I better start spending more on vintage cards, lol.

Steve
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@slum22 said:
    Great cards being shared. This thread needs to stay on the front page. I guess I better start spending more on vintage cards, lol.

I agree. I'm football guy but can sure appreciate the look and styles of those vintage basketball cards.

Absolutely gorgeous Hawkins.

That's a high-end 9. If it weren't for that teeny tiny fisheye at the bottom of the 'S' that thing would be sitting pretty in a 10. Gorgeous card.

Arthur

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 10:22AM

Manny, those are some great unopened material. Bobby and I proudly posted our 6's so don't be shy. It would be great to see your Wilt 8. The highest I have owned is a 7 and that looks to be floating out of my price range by the looks of recent sales. So it is fun to see your 8 and UFFDAH's 9 to live vicariously through you guys, lol.

Steve
    edited March 23, 2019 9:33PM

Agree with Steve. Manny that is an incredible run of unopened basketball you have. Thanks for posting. I can't even imagine what the 70 unopened box would go for these days.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome stuff Manny and thanks for sharing. There are some great pieces on this board that are ultra drool worthy.

KC

Wow great stuff Manny. Those packs are fantastic!!! We would love to see your PSA 8 Wilt.

[plotting in my head how I could get myself written into Manny's will]

Arthur

@flatfoot816 - great stuff ya got !!

Thought it was time to bump this thread up. Where are the pickups?

Arthur

• Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

My small contribution...

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Thought it was time to bump this thread up. Where are the pickups?

Arthur

Arthur that 71 Wilt is on my list of cards to get. Congrats on very nice looking PSA 7

@Tecmo Boil said:
    My small contribution...

Go big or go home!!!! Looks like you decided to go big. Chamberlain, Russell, Jabbar, Meadowlark, and Pettit. Major pickups congrats.

Got this back recently from crossing over from an SGC 9.

• Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Awesome Bing, @JBrules

One more...

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 69 Bing and Pearls. Love that set. I have the Elvin Hayes RC but it has a tape stain on front.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

Wooooo! Some serious moof just got dropped. Great pickups everybody. It's funny how so many of the vintage basketball releases have one single make-or-break aspect to them. For the '69s it's all about the L/R centering. For the '74s, at least for me, it's all about the centering of the left side and the top side and how they come together on the top-left corner. My eye is automatically drawn to that corner every time I look at a '74.

Left/right centering seems to be impossible on the '70s. Top/bottom is pretty bad too but I can see past that much more than the L/R. the way those side borders are constructed it's nearly impossible to find a card that has 50/50 L/R centering and doesn't appear to have any tilt. The '71s are all about L/R centering to me, too. The '72s seem to have print problems and poor edge cuts.

I'm a fool for the '69s though. I love that Bing. I've found a Havlicek, Monroe, and Hayes that I love but it's taken me forever to find a Reed, Frazier, or Hawkins. I'm not going to start on the second tier until I finish the first, which is probably a mistake. The '69 & '70 Kareems are the bane of my existence.

Arthur

Great pickups everyone.

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 6:02AM

Sent these in for grading and hoping should be logged today or tomorrow. Looking forward to getting these back slabbed! (Secretly hoping for a 10 on the west, but will be happy with it no matter what 😁 )

Those are beautiful '70s! I think the print defects and tilt will keep the West out of a 10 though. Looks like a screamer of an 8 though.

Arthur

Very sharp '70's! Good luck on the grades.

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 9:15AM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Those are beautiful '70s! I think the print defects and tilt will keep the West out of a 10 though. Looks like a screamer of an 8 though.

Arthur

Thanks! I’m hoping it won’t, but ya never know! 😁 I’m actually hoping to get a 9 on it but will be happy with what I get regardless!

• Bumping this back up with a recent pick up...

• @Rofles said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Thanks! I’m hoping it won’t, but ya never know! 😁 I’m actually hoping to get a 9 on it but will be happy with what I get regardless!

You get the cards back yet from grading?

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

arguably the most underrated NBA player ever.

• Should have been in the 1996 top 50 of all time.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Man, I thought this was a cool card when I was a kid.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

These were pretty cool too. I have a signed Russell, but no scans at this moment.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

Vintage basketball is the bane of my existence. I feel like the hobby gods use vintage basketball to punish me for crimes and misdeeds I performed in a previous life. If I made a list of the 10 cards I've been looking for the longest and couldn't find in the condition that pleases me, I bet at least 8 of them would be vintage basketball.

I just want to say, too, that the 1974 Topps set was created by a goblin to drive centering-focused collectors insane.

I literally gave up on the two cards I wanted the most -- Iceman rookie and Dr. J. For 1974, my entire focus is centering and print job. You can find a well-centered copy but there's always fisheyes and vice versa. After years of searching I finally just said eff it and settled on these. Compromised a little on centering with the Iceman (but what a glorious print job) and took the qualifier on Dr. J (that's usually for snow but....?).

Arthur

edited February 22, 2020 6:38AM

I did actually find a Moses rookie I like so that was cool. The thing with '75s is all about minimizing tilt.

Arthur

Arthur, if you are being punished for crimes and misdeeds, they are definitely from this life :)

Really solid examples, I love how much care you put into choosing a card, your collection is always great quality. I hope you are well!