Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

**Post your Vintage Basketball here**

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Arthur, if you are being punished for crimes and misdeeds, they are definitely from this life :)

Really solid examples, I love how much care you put into choosing a card, your collection is always great quality. I hope you are well!

Abe! My brother from another mother! I was just looking at your Hawk rookie and admiring it. Sometimes I feel like we share the same eBay watch list. I hope you are well, my friend.

Arthur

• Options

Love the MJ’s

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I did actually find a Moses rookie I like so that was cool. The thing with '75s is all about minimizing tilt.

Arthur

Nice looking Malone for sure. I have been looking for one in a PSA 8 or 9 and next to impossible to find without centering issues. Congrats on finding a very nice example. No easy task.

• Options

That's a fantastic Walton rookie. Another sneaky problem with the '74s is tilt. For me, my eye starts with the top-left corner and then works out from there. On a lot of what appear to be well-centered cards, as that left side goes down it actually tilts inward. Drives me nuts. But that Walton stays true all the way down.

Check this out. Just picked up yesterday, didn't even know it existed. 1971 Topps rookie? Meh. How about a 1966 JD McCarthy postcard for Rick Barry?

Arthur

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find, Arthur! That's a beauty.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

Check this out. Just picked up yesterday, didn't even know it existed. 1971 Topps rookie? Meh. How about a 1966 JD McCarthy postcard for Rick Barry?

Arthur

Great pickup. I have never seen one before. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card is undervalued.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

• Options

Bobby, great Reggie rookie pack!

@stwainfan I couldn't agree more, that Robinson is one of my favorite cards ever.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I'm a big fan of 1980's foreign issues, here are a few I have scanned, the vast majority of mine are not graded

>
    Great looking Sportscaster of Jabbar Dunking on Dr. J. Usually it is the other way around. Which foreign issue is it?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I'm a big fan of 1980's foreign issues, here are a few I have scanned, the vast majority of mine are not graded

>
    Great looking Sportscaster of Jabbar Dunking on Dr. J. Usually it is the other way around. Which foreign issue is it?

1980-81 Svijet Sporta

• Options

@JBrules said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

>

@LarkinCollector nailed it, 1980-81 Svijet Sporta
    It's smaller than a Sportscaster, 4x6 and from Yugoslavia. I actually have an extra one, it's low grade, but if interested let me know.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abe,love those Robinsons! I've been chasing the Jordan from that Gigantes set for awhile now with no luck finding a reasonably priced original.
    Do those Sportscasters have different cuts to them with some with rounded corners?

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Abe,love those Robinsons! I've been chasing the Jordan from that Gigantes set for awhile now with no luck finding a reasonably priced original.
    Do those Sportscasters have different cuts to them with some with rounded corners?

Thanks Eric.

No, these are not rounded like the Sportscasters, they have a white border and corners. I don't know a ton about them, @LarkinCollector may be able to give us all more information on them.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@erikthredd said:

Thanks Eric.

No, these are not rounded like the Sportscasters, they have a white border and corners. I don't know a ton about them, @LarkinCollector may be able to give us all more information on them.

My bad,I missed the part saying it was smaller than a Sportscaster. Seeing your Robinsons reminded me that I had this one. IIRC it's a 1987 Kentucky Bluegrass games card or something close to that name.

• Options

@erikthredd

That's a great card, here's mine

I like any sort of pre-NBA items.

• Options
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 7:21AM

@Kid4hof03 said:

@erikthredd said:

Thanks Eric.

Sportscaster perked my ears up, but I know very little about the Svijet set other than year and country of issue. I just happened to be checking some out recently for a side project I'm starting to work on and that Kareem was still fresh in my head.

ETA: I'm loving all these Euro issues from the last several posts though!

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a few MJ's that I absolutely love. I had this poster on my wall as a sixteen year old. The SI's are super tough, but have seen more available over the last 6-7 months on eBay. The Super Canasta PSA does not grade and not sure why, but found one on ebay the other day in a BGS holder. I picked one up on eBay last year graded by a European grading company. Maybe there's a chance PSA will grade this sticker eventually?

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

Interesting that they put the measurements of the card on that European flip. I assume that's what that is?

• Options

@BPorter26 said:
    Here's a few MJ's that I absolutely love. I had this poster on my wall as a sixteen year old. The SI's are super tough, but have seen more available over the last 6-7 months on eBay. The Super Canasta PSA does not grade and not sure why, but found one on ebay the other day in a BGS holder. I picked one up on eBay last year graded by a European grading company. Maybe there's a chance PSA will grade this sticker eventually?

That Super Canasta has some of the best centering I've seen on one of these,most copies I come across don't have the white border on bottom. If I had to guess I'd say the Super Canastas are Spain's version of junk wax seeing that there are still plenty of wax packs available. Unfortunately the packs don't have much info on them and I haven't had any luck finding an actual Super Canasta sticker album to possibly help with PSA potentially grading these at some point.

• Options

I thought I would bump this thread since I enjoy it so much. This is such an underrated card, and tough to find centered.

Arthur

• Options

Arthur, that is probably my least favorite Dr. J Topps card, but I think that might be because it's so hard to find a decent example. Your's is really strong!

I'll end up sharing these in a couple of different threads because I'm just that happy to have them. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with my Royal Crown card thread or just a coincidence, but for the first time in a while a few of these popped up on eBay. I was able to win the two I needed for my set, Calvin Murphy and Doug Collins.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I thought I would bump this thread since I enjoy it so much. This is such an underrated card, and tough to find centered.

Arthur

Nice Dr. J. Pickup. Those 73’s can be extremely difficult to find in high grade with good centering. I might have to jump in and do a Dr J. Run one of these days.

• Options

Arthur, I love that card! It is by far my favorite Larry Bird. That is a spectacular 9, in my mind it doesn't need to be improved upon!

I took a bit of a break, even thinned out my collection a lot, it just got too broad. I'm now back to working on the sets and cards that I really love. I decided to go with ungraded Topps sets and then I will sprinkle in some PSA's of cards that really matter to me, like that 81 Bird. The oddball is what I really love though so that's where I'm putting my energy, at least for now :)

• Options
    edited March 3, 2020 8:18AM

The oddball stuff that you find is what I'm really drawn to. I had never heard of or seen any of it before you started posting it. I love the RC Cola, the socks issue (socks!), that rad Calvin Mack Florida schedule, all of it. Have you done a showcase thread yet?

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    The oddball stuff that you find is what I'm really drawn to. I had never heard of or seen any of it before you started posting it. I love the RC Cola, the socks issue (socks!), that rad Calvin Mack Florida schedule, all of it. Have you done a showcase thread yet?

Arthur

Thanks Arthur, glad you enjoy the stuff I find and share. It still amazes me how unpopular pro basketball was in the mid 70's to the early 80's. The very few and random cards out there make for a fun chase. One of these years you have to actually go inside at the National so we can comb the place for good basketball stuff.

Ha! No, I think an email to you would be better served than a showcase thread :) I think we are the only ones interested in a lot of this stuff.

• Options

I can think of a few other people across the street that would be very much interested in your showcase thread.

And going inside the NSCC? Pffft. Someone has to do the hard work of scouting out all the bars/restaurants for each evenings affairs. That stuff doesn't just magically happen on its own! :)

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Thanks, guys.

Abe, I've learned so much about 1970s basketball cards from you sharing your collection. I love all of the stuff you post. One day I will create a mega Abe eBay search and my journey will begin.

Can't post and not share a card. With the thin white borders, these '81s are really tough to find centered with no tilt. I waited in the weeds a long time before I found one I liked.

Arthur

Great looking 81 Bird. I really like the 81's as well. They are great price performers for sure. Here are a couple of 81's that I searched for a very long time to find.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bird rookie cards.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

Here are some more early MJs to bump this thread back to the top. The three oddball Nike catalogs on bottom were seasonal mailing brochures when you joined the Michael Jordan Nike Flight Club mailing list showcasing some of the latest Flight Club apparel. They're roughly 3x5.

• Options
    OmegaDOmegaD Posts: 25 ✭✭

My oldest basketball cards are these. Neither one would grade high, but I think they're cool.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Here are some more early MJs to bump this thread back to the top. The three oddball Nike catalogs on bottom were seasonal mailing brochures when you joined the Michael Jordan Nike Flight Club mailing list showcasing some of the latest Flight Club apparel. They're roughly 3x5.

Eric, the Flight Club mailing items are great, never seen those before.

• Options

New to the forum:

I am looking for 8 cards to complete a 61 Fleer Basketball Set graded SGC 80 or above. If anyone has anything or can point me in the right direction please let me know!!! Looking for:

1 Attles
    3 Baylor
    4 Bellamy
    25 Kerr
    35 Ramsey
    36 Robertson
    43 West
    46 Baylor IA

Finding older SGC slabs has been a challenge. Thanks!

• Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Here are a couple from my HOF set. One of my favorites to put together...

• Options

@Greedoguy said:

A great set to work on. I hope to one day complete this set. How far along are you on this set?

• Options

Just picked up a couple of nice looking Bob Lanier cards and one of Elvin Hayes. Always amazed at the price you can pick up some nice looking HOF's in PSA 8 and PSA 9.

• Options

@JBrules said:

@Greedoguy said:

A great set to work on. I hope to one day complete this set. How far along are you on this set?

With Kobe going in over the weekend, I need 18 to complete the set. About all of that is the gigantic stars (Mikan, Russell, Chamberlain). It's a fun set to go after. The majority of the cards are still very affordable if you don't need elite grades. I am happy with 6's and 7's in the older ones.

• Options

Nice cards, @Greedoguy. That's a beautiful Wachter for a 3!

@JBrules , that's pretty much unicorn centering for a '75, and without any tilt. Just outstanding.

I'm really, really picky when it comes to vintage basketball. I'll wait until I can find the perfect card "for me" no matter how long that takes. Well, I crossed one off the list last night. I'll post a scan when it arrives.

Arthur

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are 2 of mine.

Steve

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Nice cards, @Greedoguy. That's a beautiful Wachter for a 3!

@JBrules , that's pretty much unicorn centering for a '75, and without any tilt. Just outstanding.

I'm really, really picky when it comes to vintage basketball. I'll wait until I can find the perfect card "for me" no matter how long that takes. Well, I crossed one off the list last night. I'll post a scan when it arrives.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. 75’s are near impossible to find centered and was pretty stoked to land Lanier. Look forward to seeing your addition.

• Options

Here are a couple others:

If you don't already read it, notinthehalloffame.com gives some insight into players that have a shot at getting into the hall. It has given me a little edge on grabbing some of these HOFers before they are inducted and the price of the card goes nuts (Sikma, B. Jones).

• Options

@Greedoguy said:

If you don't already read it, notinthehalloffame.com gives some insight into players that have a shot at getting into the hall. It has given me a little edge on grabbing some of these HOFers before they are inducted and the price of the card goes nuts (Sikma, B. Jones).

I'm with you. I've been picking up cards of Mack Calvin, Willie Wise, Freddie Lewis, Larry Jones, Ron Boone, and some others. I'm also thinking about putting together a Semi-Pro registry set. Already found my Jackie Moon.

Arthur

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2020 9:07AM

Sorry
    All I could think of looking at this card

Joey : Wait a minute. I know you. You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Roger Murdock : I'm sorry, son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I'm the co-pilot.

Joey : You are Kareem! I've seen you play. My dad's got season tickets.

Roger Murdock : I think you should go back to your seat now, Joey. Right, Clarence?

Captain Oveur : Nahhhhhh, he's not bothering anyone. Let him stay here.

Roger Murdock : But just remember, my name is...

[showing his nametag]

Roger Murdock : ROGER MURDOCK. I'm an airline pilot.

Joey : I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.

[Kareem gets angry]

Joey : And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.

Roger Murdock : [breaking character] The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

@JBrules said: