edited March 9, 2019 9:10AM

Rocket ship PCGS coin numbers

702800 Native America Rocket ship set PRDC
    702801 First strike
    702802 FDI

702795 Kennedy Rocket ship set MS
    702796 First Strike
    702797 First day issue

I’m not sure if the label will say Rocket ship set Like the Apollo sets someone will have to call and yes it looks like the Kennedy is being listed as run of the mill Mint state
    I’m going to send my first two in for FDI and give the other 5 I ordered as gifts 🎁

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jabba thank you for the listing. I believe but I could be wrong the First Day of Issue labels are ONLY for select dealers.
    I think the cut off date for a First Strike will be April 1st but I am not sure about both statements. It would be interesting what label goes with the Rocketship coins.

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Jabba thank you for the listing. I believe but I could be wrong the First Day of Issue labels are ONLY for select dealers.
    I think the cut off date for a First Strike will be April 1st but I am not sure about both statements. It would be interesting what label goes with the Rocketship coins.

I wish PCGS would put that with the coin numbers that it’s dealer only and that doesn’t seem fair

• Options
    edited March 9, 2019 12:15PM

@jabba said:

I wish PCGS would put that with the coin numbers that it’s dealer only and that doesn’t seem fair

I agree I have called numerous times only to be told I could not pay for that FDOI. Maybe if I bribe the person $1000.00 maybe they will do it. NOT! It is NO doubt favored for the seller those like MCM, APMEX, and the rest ect. I imagine they are spending $ Millions of dollars and we basically have to buy from them. I usually either get them when they first come out in hope's they sell out. Or catch them year's later when the coin is a bomb and the price value drop's like a rock. Seems like when I buy them I seem to get the item and since I have never sold any I won't know how badly I got burned. :(

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

They pop out pretty easy with a sharp knife, capsule splits on the front side of the holder. No need to bend the cardboard. Hardest part is separating the obverse half of the capsule from the coin - they are a snug fit and takes some careful bending to get the coin out. It will be interesting to see what the quality difference is between these and the upcoming Unc Mint Sets.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received the two sets I ordered.
    While I am no expert, the Kennedys are PL to me, way above an average strike.
    As always they will remain in OGP.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally. And two days ahead of the original Monday projected delivery. :| Time to sort, pack, and prep for shipping a few for the young ones. :) Then... disassembly of the best one or two. :p

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a bit of contact marks on most of the Kennedy examples shared.
    I had instant buyer’s remorse when they edited my order and cancelled my cent order.

• Options

Noticed the marks, too. But looking at the ones I have it’s contact marks on the capsules. It didn’t help that PFSWeb shipped them loosely bundled together. The only thing protecting each rocketship and capsuled coin was the plastic wrapping that they came in.

• Options

Agreed, one of my biggest Mint complaints is poor packaging. They just toss them in a box loose and add some green bubble pack just to make it look like someone cared. The coins are really nice -- I didn't take great care in my pics and dust appears to be contact marks. Debating on whether to submit some or not. Does PCGS require sealed sets to submit?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@Akbeez said:
    Does PCGS require sealed sets to submit?

I believe sealed sets would only be required after the official cut off date of April 1st. I believe that is the cut off date. Especially if you want First Strike status.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It is NO doubt favored for the seller those like MCM, APMEX, and the rest”

Gluggo- I submit FDI for board members all the time (under reasonable arrangements no one has had a problem with ever). It also needs to be a suitable bulk quantity for the particular product as I do not comingle the coins of multiple board members in the same order. Truly no advantages to the “huge players” you identified that I have seen with respect to these FDI coins.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@Hemispherical said:
    I got a few extras and have plans for my brother and sister in-laws as gag type gifts (they are non-collectors so they will not notice the switch outs, either). :D

When it comes to the switch out let me know how you did it. I had to bend the cardboard to pop the plastic insert. Of course it does not look the same now.

I need to ask a serious question. Why are you asking "When it comes to the switch out let me know how you did it"? This question coming from you, who in the very beginning of thread says only buying for Izzy, not interested in selling. Why?
    One really has to give PCGS customer service a gold star for dealing with some members. Seems some people are calling at least every other day or multiples times day for the most mundane, just read the submission, guideline questions.

The 2019 Rocketship set is not going to be a huge money maker "winner" for honest sellers/collectors. If it was Wondercoin would be all over it and Joe has already stated it will not be an overall winner. Two honest buyers and sellers that rolled off the top of my head. There are certainly many, many more on this site. That jwitten fellow pops to mind too. Can not imagine them wanting to "switch out".

Thanks

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2019 7:55PM

Fox9487 I was asking because when I popped mine it was difficult and I pretty much ruined the Rocket. Good thing the Mint has plenty on hand to buy more. But the reason I popped them out was to be able to take the pictures and post them here for everybody. You see I am also trying to learn how to take good coin photography just as a hobby so I can say I can do it. I posted the Kennedy half next page back.

• Options

@fox9487 About the switching of coins in the rocketship for something else.

Obviously, once done, it cannot be submitted to a TPGS for a rocket attribution. Would just be a UNC Kennedy and PF Sac.

The grandchild and nieces and nephew (household commander reminded me we have more than one niece AND there is a nephew) are getting an un-switched rocket with an AI in a flip... which I JUST realized I forgot to put in the now sealed mailers. Doh! ;)

Planning on using ASEa for the BILs/SILs as the gag... they’ll read the description about Kennedy but will see Lady Liberty. Dry humor, I know, but it is fun. :D Just have to figure out how to do it without it being too obvious. Right now my plan is to use a box cutter to split the cardboard apart and then glue back together after the swap-out/hole enlargement. Alot of work but in the long run it will be a fun family memory.

I will be saving two rockets. One goes to the wife, she really liked it (who knew, lol), and still debating on sending one for grading...

Have get past these rockets and start prepping for some gold and silver Legions. 😎

Don’t forget about the time change.

Enjoying the hobby!

• Options

So, this is what I think...

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin said:

Anticipation... :D

• Options
    edited March 9, 2019 10:03PM

@wondercoin said:

I have an empty wrinkled bent Rocket-ship needing a home. :)

I need to get one to glow in the dark yet!

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2019 10:13PM

@wondercoin said:
    The Kennedy coins in the Rocketship set are not “special”. But, there is a very wide range of quality within the totally fresh sets... MS64s all the way through MS68PLs. JUST LIKE THE MINT SETS.

Since I personally (currently) have the #1 MS Kennedy Date set in the Registry (1964-date), of course I am very interested in finding an MS68 (or better) 2019 Mint State Kennedy for my set anyway I can find it. So, I need to buy a bunch of these for my own personal reason. 99% of everyone reading this thread may not have any reason to buy these sets. The Kennedy is not a unique coin in my opinion.

There is no money to be made (at the moment) on the typical sets the mint ships out. They are on eBay at $15.95 with free shipping- netting 0 profit already. But, if you are a pop top modern coin “hunter” like I am (or Mas or another handful of serious guys on these boards), you’ve got to Play!

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Agree

• Options
    edited March 9, 2019 11:50PM

Blast off!

Use a very bright light to charge the rocketship or you will have an aborted launch.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@Akbeez said:
    Does PCGS require sealed sets to submit?

I believe sealed sets would only be required after the official cut off date of April 1st. I believe that is the cut off date. Especially if you want First Strike status.

Call whichever TPG you use.

The Kennedy is still unique for 2019, but the Sac also came out in the proof set, so is not.

This may require you to submit in sealed packaging if you're trying for a linage label.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would anyone think their young kids, grandkids, or basically anyone else, are going to care about a special grading label that cost $40+ if FS, and considering time and shipping? Yes, maybe if it is a MS69, but the likelihood of that is very small.

Most kids will just want to play with the Rocket ship, look at it in the dark a few times, and then rip it up and spend the $1.50.

For $40 just get 4 rolls of half dollars from the bank and let them search for different dates or something. Then they can maybe get a kick out of playing Scrooge McDuck.

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    The Kennedy coins in the Rocketship set are not “special”. But, there is a very wide range of quality within the totally fresh sets... MS64s all the way through MS68PLs. JUST LIKE THE MINT SETS.

Since I personally (currently) have the #1 MS Kennedy Date set in the Registry (1964-date), of course I am very interested in finding an MS68 (or better) 2019 Mint State Kennedy for my set anyway I can find it. So, I need to buy a bunch of these for my own personal reason. 99% of everyone reading this thread may not have any reason to buy these sets. The Kennedy is not a unique coin in my opinion.

There is no money to be made (at the moment) on the typical sets the mint ships out. They are on eBay at $15.95 with free shipping- netting 0 profit already. But, if you are a pop top modern coin “hunter” like I am (or Mas or another handful of serious guys on these boards), you’ve got to Play!

Wondercoin.

Why yes, I have seen my fair share of Rocket Ship sets.. Interesting and different Mint Item..
    Few sets in for grading.. Let's see how we all do.
    Get them 68's Wondercoin !!

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

But BIG kids will want special labels, grading, encapsulation.

• Options

@spotthedog said:
    But BIG kids will want special labels, grading, encapsulation.

That is why I own a little CLCT stock.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2019 6:03AM

@Goldminers said:

That is why I own a little CLCT stock.

Not to get too far off topic... that dip was a good time to buy. 😎

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin.

@wondercoin Your post made me go looking at the Kennedy registries again. You have an awesome registry set!

—————

Now back to our regularly scheduled coverage of our astronaut’s Kennedy and Sacagawea travel through space... and bring a flashlight. 🔦🚀

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Agreed, one of my biggest Mint complaints is poor packaging. They just toss them in a box loose and add some green bubble pack just to make it look like someone cared. The coins are really nice -- I didn't take great care in my pics and dust appears to be contact marks. Debating on whether to submit some or not. Does PCGS require sealed sets to submit?

Agreed, the shipping department does a crappy job.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    The Kennedy coins in the Rocketship set are not “special”.

Wondercoin.

I would disagree...

• Options

Care to tell us why Echoes?

Wondercoin

• Options

Can't put my finger on it just yet, it is different.
    I'm just a lowly collector, not some big time dealer, ya-feel me?

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Very similar, as far as being special/different, to the quarters that came out of the Texas Coin & Currency Set to me.

• Options

Decided, I think ( :D ), that I’ll send a rocketship roundtrip to our host. Why our host you ask. Because I have 13 other coins to send in and I generally do not prefer that number, so let’s make it 15.

Silly. Yes! But when it comes to grading I want everyone to be happy. :)

Hmm... I do have some 2019-W 1C, too.

Let’s make it 19?

Have to re-think this, again, because the Legion coins are coming up too.... back to the drawing board. ;)

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:
    Can't put my finger on it just yet, it is different.
    I'm just a lowly collector, not some big time dealer, ya-feel me?

I would think the number of coins bought/sold by someone should not have any play in whether the coins are unique or not.

The light finish Kennedy is STILL not recognized by some as being different even though it is

• Options

This to me is FUN, (Rocketship)
    When I opened the box and saw the rocketship it reminded me when I was a kid and found a Bicentennial quarter in change, or receiving a silver half from my Dad.
    I'm not into this to make money, just for the fun of it.

• Options

“The light finish Kennedy is STILL not recognized by some as being different even though it is”

When I alerted PCGS of the clear difference, they passed on doing anything about it. When I alerted NGC of the difference later that day (as a courtesy), they were pretty much grading the different coin in the grading room that very afternoon. Hopefully, under new management, situations like this will be handled differently at PCGS in the future.

By the way, I am informed NGC has concluded these rocketship Kennedy coins are not “special”.

Wondercoin.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2019 8:56AM

Hemispherical how long did you hold the Rocketship under the light? I tried it last night and was disappointed as to how much it glowed. :(
    Your picture was a good shot mine was hard to even see. Good job!

Wondercoin thank you for sharing your personal information. We are actually blessed to have your input. I did not realize your background and importance.
    This would explain why PCGS does NOT even have the Rocketship Cutoff Date Listed. Your statement verifies why. PCGS does not even recognize this. Unless I missed it.

• Options

Wondercoin thank you for sharing your personal information. We are actually blessed to have your input. I did not realize your background and importance.
    This would explain why PCGS does NOT even have the Rocketship Cutoff Date Listed. Your statement verifies why. PCGS does not even recognize this. Unless I missed it.

Nor does my wife, close friends, etc. LOL.

I am not sure what statement of mine you are referring to, but PCGS does have a First Strike date for these coins. I’ll pull it from my notes and list here momentarily.

Wondercoin.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2019 9:45AM

The FS deadline is March 25th. Standard First Strike Rules apply. If received by PCGS within the first 30 days of release can be opened. After 30 days of release the product must be sealed in original mint packaging upon arrival.

The “opened” I believe refers to the mint box in this case.

Wondercoin.

• Options

Thank you for that date. NGC has there cut off date as April 1st I believe. I was not able to find PCGS cut off date on their list list as it was not listed. But I was looking on my I-Phone which is not the same as on a computor. Amazing what these little guys (iPhone) can do.

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@Gluggo said:
    Hemispherical how long did you hold the Rocketship under the light? I tried it last night and was disappointed as to how much it glowed. :(
    Your picture was a good shot mine was hard to even see. Good job!

@Gluggo It was a made for picture setup because I also noticed it did not hold the glow for long.

Items needed:
    -A very dark room when you turn the lights off
    -Flashlight with new batteries (I used my four D-cell Craftsman “battering ram” flashlight with adjustable focus light beam)
    -Camera (I used iPhone)
    -Helper (household commander was mine)

Procedure:
    Setup the rocketship and have the camera prepped and already focused on the rocketship. Have a finger on the picture taking button.

Have helper turn off the room light.

With your other hand shine the flashlight on the rocketship then turn it off and see if it’s glowing, if not keep on shining. This probably took about a minute until I figured out I needed to start taking pictures as soon as I turned off the flashlight.

When it takes off (glows) start smashing the picture taking button.... then pick the best pic.

Probably have less than 15 secs before the rocketship lands (in the dark.) :D:)

• Options

Hemispherical thank you! I had a good laugh :D

• Options

>

And there we have it! Sacagawea is ready to launch! She’s upside down because that’s how Astronauts travel upward into Space.

Enjoy and always remember to have fun in this hobby of ours. :)

Hey what gives I just checked all my Rocketships and NOT 1 had the Silver Dollar in it! Is that a Special Release? :)

• Options

Jolly Good Show!! Not sure what the pot ash was all about...but I'm guessing Hemi had a good time "making" it. ;)

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical has upgraded to a more expensive, over budget, THREE DOLLAR ROCKET!~

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Jolly Good Show!! Not sure what the pot ash was all about...but I'm guessing Hemi had a good time "making" it. ;)

LOL :)

Reverse of the AI, the first patent was for potash signed by George Washington.

—————

On July 31, 1790 Samuel Hopkins was issued the first patent for a process of making potash, an ingredient used in fertilizer. The patent was signed by President George Washington. Hopkins was born in Vermont, but was living in Philadelphia, Pa. when the patent was granted.

https://www.uspto.gov/about-us/news-updates/first-us-patent-issued-today-1790

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@Akbeez said:

LOL :)
    Reverse of the AI, the first patent was for potash signed by George Washington.

Not only George Washington but Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, and Andrew Jackson grew hemp for profit, (a cannabis sativa strain). Sativa means "useful" in Latin. The word cannabis is where we got the word canvas. Hemp fiber was widely used for sailing ship sails of the day, and Columbus sailed on ships with hemp ropes.

Hemp is the same species as marijuana, but a strain that has lower amounts of THC. It needs potash fertilizer added to the soil to grow best, (partially explains the importance of the first patent) and yes the flower tops were smoked by some so "pot" ash was a result. Washington also referenced in writing that the hemp species that he imported from Asia (India), Cannabis sativa forma Indica, which is high in THC, and he said it was more valuable. LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file