Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Commems have to be sold in the year of issue

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    Doesn’t matter with the mint not having them ready to go. I think they will be sought after and we may have a sell out when the mint does get it together. There is the possibility they won’t be able to complete production with the other products they need to mint. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t know if they can strike these past 2019 they have to be done by the end of the year.

They have been sought after. But there is no demand for 100,000 of them at that price. [In my ever humble opinion.] The half dollar and dollar are much more reasonably priced for space memorabilia collectors. There simply aren't enough puck collectors for 100,000 of them.

Don't let your emotions cloud your reason. There's a reason the big boys haven't bought thousands of these on back order.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jabba said:
    Doesn’t matter with the mint not having them ready to go. I think they will be sought after and we may have a sell out when the mint does get it together. There is the possibility they won’t be able to complete production with the other products they need to mint. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t know if they can strike these past 2019 they have to be done by the end of the year.

They have been sought after. But there is no demand for 100,000 of them at that price. [In my ever humble opinion.] The half dollar and dollar are much more reasonably priced for space memorabilia collectors. There simply aren't enough puck collectors for 100,000 of them.

Don't let your emotions cloud your reason. There's a reason the big boys haven't bought thousands of these on back order

My humble opinin you have written these off too early. The 2 coin sets sold out 95% to ( greedy) speculators. Most going unsold on ebay. In time the Kennedy's will go up but I don't have 20 years and I did buy some, I'm greedy too.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to agree that there is a lot to like about the pucks between the shape, the proof design, .999 silver, neat design commemorating the Apollo 11, etc. etc. Even if there isn't a sell out, these may be in demand for a long time to come.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jabba said:

Don't let your emotions cloud your reason. There's a reason the big boys haven't bought thousands of these on back order

My humble opinin you have written these off too early. The 2 coin sets sold out 95% to ( greedy) speculators. Most going unsold on ebay. In time the Kennedy's will go up but I don't have 20 years and I did buy some, I'm greedy too.

LMAO.

1. I've sold 35 of these sets this week. So, they are not going unsold.
    2. You know why dealers "speculate" on them? Because they know there is demand for them. Look at Kennedy coins from the 2017 enhanced uncirculated set or 2018 reverse proof set. Funny market oddity, you can buy an entire 2017 EU set for $25 OR you can buy a cent and a half dollar for $25. The rest of the set is free. There are THAT MANY Kennedy collectors.
    3. If there were any market demand for the pucks, those same "greedy speculators" (we call them good and gentle dealers) would be buying up the pucks also. What makes you think they wouldn't want to make money on the pucks?
    4. It defies reason that you use the SELL-OUT of the Kennedy sets as proof that there is no demand beyond greedy speculation while at the same time arguing for some phantom demand for the pucks which haven't sold out. How the heck are ACTUAL SALES of the Kennedy being dismissed while arguing for the existence of phantom puck sales. If there were insufficient supply of pucks already in the market, people would be placing orders even though back-ordered. They simply are not doing so.

They will sell more pucks as the year unfolds. But that doesn't mean they will ever sell out. The people that argue for this set being popular are ignoring market realities
    1. There are not that many puck collectors.
    2. As the price increases, the number of impulse buyers decrease. Space or not, curved or not, the number of people that buy a $250 curiosity is significantly lower than the number of people who will buy a $25 or $50 curiosity.
    3. Size may NOT matter. There is a regular dollar sized curve coin for the casual space collector.
    4. It's a MODERN COMMEM. Look at the history of modern commems with very few exceptions.
    5. The backorders are counted in sales. The backorder would not stop someone from buying that way unless they are so impatient that they want to pay $300+ to have it NOW. And those people are paying $300+ now. So, where are all these people who haven't ordered pucks? Waiting for the backorder to come off in October? It's more likely they stop taking orders in October if they don't think they can finish production. If you want to own this coin and don't want to pay $300, you SHOULD (would?) place the order now anyway just to get yourself in line. If you wait until Fall, you're going to be at the back of the line.

Now there could be people who don't know about the coin yet. BUT, there may already be enough orders at 60,000 to fill all the demand. You've got the same problem now with "greedy speculators" holding large numbers of the pucks as you do with the Kennedy sets. When those people distribute into the marketplace, are you sure there are tens of thousands of more people willing to buy a $230 silver coin just because it is silver or curved or space related?

My crystal ball is broken, but I expect no sell-out. I also don't care if it does sell-out. I think the price is peaking now and won't increase later with or without a sellout. Look at the history of Mint commemoratives. While my crystal ball is broken, history is on my side.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jabba said:

And for the record, I have ONE puck on backorder for me. If I thought these would be hot, I would have 50 on backorder. I'm not allergic to making money.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@jabba said:

Don't think they strike them in the next year but many issues have been available for sale into the next year.

Commemoratives must come off sales before the end of the calendar year they were issued by law.

These will not be available in 2020.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jabba said:

And for the record, I have ONE puck on backorder for me. If I thought these would be hot, I would have 50 on backorder. I'm not allergic to making money.

You've put a lot more thought into this than me. We will have to wait and see.

• Options

My single puck flipped from "backordered" to "processing". Again. (This is my 12:08 order.)

Hopefully, this time it will stick...

• Options

@JimTyler. LOL your avatar. I paid my respects to Doc when I was in Colo Springs.

Damn near died climbing up to Linwood Cemetery. Ain't no air at 6500' above sea level... :D

• Options

Surprised anyone noticed or knew what it was?

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

jmlanzaf... listen to him. He isn’t talking nonsense.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin.

Which part? The part where there is NO demand for the sold out Kennedys or the part where there is pent up phantom demand for pucks?

They will sell pucks. Will the sell another 40,000 pucks and go sold out? Maybe eventually.

Will they sell out and have huge demand pushing the price of the pucks up higher? I doubt it.

I've thought about it. I've observed the situation. I have NO horse in the race.

But if I had the option of spending $10,000 right now on pucks at issue price or Kennedy sets at issue price - I'd buy more Kennedy sets. That was my carefully thought out decision.

I also wouldn't want to be sitting on any of either one of them 12 months from now.

I think the Kennedy coin stays a $50 coin or so, but that is the issue price.

And the puck....???? I don't see the price going up now even though there is a (temporary?) supply squeeze. It's at $280ish and staying there despite only a trickle of coins on the market from the Mint.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2019 3:35PM

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin.

Oops. Misunderstood

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2019 2:32PM

Wow that sure is a lot of puck discussion. I will toss in my two cents worth :wink:

I agree with @jmlanzaf on the pucks. I doubt there will be a sellout and in fact, I don't even want it to sell out. The Feb 10th mint report has 62,715 sold and the Feb 17 report has only 62,533 sold. Not sure what the Feb 24th report will say, but not many rushed to order more during that time. First strikes have to have a postmark by Monday so none of the backorders will qualify at this stage. Most only want First Strikes, and for those that just like the coin they are already easily available.

When you see dozens of recent actual sales of coins IN HAND on eBay at $280 and factor less 6.15-10% fees depending on if a store or casual seller, and less 3% or so for PayPal, and then cost to mail and insurance, the margin is really not worth the time and effort.

Now if you get graded First Strikes in PCGS 70, of course there is value there, especially with some of the limited signed labels etc., , but all the ones that are not going to meet that minimum 70 grade will be dumped. PCGS is sitting on thousands of these in the grading room that will be out there to be sold soon, including some of mine and I got them sent in really fast.

They probably already sold more than the actual demand from those who really want to keep them and not flip.

• Options

They sold 60k pucks in 9 minutes. Demand has nothing to do with it. Greed would have taken it to 100k.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    Jmlanzaf... I said for everyone to listen to YOU. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough?

Wondercoin.

Whoops. Sorry. I thought you were addressing me.

Lol.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    They sold 60k pucks in 9 minutes. Demand has nothing to do with it. Greed would have taken it to 100k.

That's not completely accurate. They sold 60,000 the first week. They sold 30,000 in the first 7 minutes. The first day was I think 45,000 if someone wants to check.

But that's not unusual for an issue like this.

And, you can tell greed all you want, but the only reason you would even care about demand and a sell out is your own greed. Otherwise you'd want no mintage limit for all mint products so everyone could get one whenever they wanted it.

• Options

By the way, sold 2 more Kennedy sets at 75 while this discussion has been going on.

And I don't hate the pucks. I like this whole release. But that's different than how I see the market medium to long term.

I'm still buying any Kennedy sets i find at close to issue price.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2019 3:37PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

That's not completely accurate. They sold 60,000 the first week. They sold 30,000 in the first 7 minutes. The first day was I think 45,000 if someone wants to check.

And, you can tell greed all you want, but the only reason you would even care about demand and a sell out is your own greed. Otherwise you'd want no mintage limit for all mint products so everyone could get one whenever they wanted it.

You're making sheet up. I don't care about demand and unlimited would have been fine with me ( I just wouldn't have played) and yes I will admit my greed is what gets me involved at all when I see a flip but wouldn't have touched the two coin sets if I thought the best would be 20 bucks a set minus ebay fees and postage. Take a look in the mirror and see a bit of greed yourself. You're doing a lot more than I would for a $10 profit even I could do it 100 times to make a grand, not worth it to me. Don't forget about income tax. Too much book keeping to have 1/3 taken in tax.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

You're making sheet up. I don't care about demand and unlimited would have been fine with me ( I just wouldn't have played) and yes I will admit my greed is what gets me involved at all when I see a flip but wouldn't have touched the two coin sets if I thought the best would be 20 bucks a set minus ebay fees and postage. Take a look in the mirror and see a bit of greed yourself. You're doing a lot more than I would for a $10 profit even I could do it 100 times to make a grand, not worth it to me. Don't forget about income tax. Too much book keeping to have 1/3 taken in tax.

I'm a part time dealer. It's a business. Wanting your business to make a profit isn't greed, it is the whole point of a business.

• Options

What's really the point in arguing about this? 26 pages ago, these things were going to sell out and go for moon money (actual quote). No one knows what's going to happen and, yes, everyone wants to make a little cash and see these coins do well!

• Options

OK you win. The 2 coin sets are smart with overwhelming demand the pucks are dumb no demand. We'll see who gets to say I told you so down the road. Might be you. My opinions are just guesses I'm not in the business like you.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

Correction. I remembered incorrectly. 51,000 1st day sales

http://www.coinnews.net/2019/01/25/apollo-11-commemorative-coin-sales-reach-296311-in-first-day/

• Options

@jabba said:
    No demands for two coin sets? There selling on eBay for $75 a pop like hot cakes

It's all about the kennedy. The are more Kennedy collectors than many people appreciate

• Options
    edited February 23, 2019 4:06PM

I watch the same sellers moving nothing at $75. Is this the Twilight Zone ?
    Edit:
    I'll eat some crow. Must have been awhile since I checked. They are selling at $75 but they sit if priced any higher. Wake me up when they're $125.

• Options

Greed,

"An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves."

In the case of coins, it results in higher mintages than needed, and actually results in lower prices and profits in the long term because of excess supply.

• Options

@chesterb said:
    What's really the point in arguing about this? 26 pages ago, these things were going to sell out and go for moon money (actual quote). No one knows what's going to happen and, yes, everyone wants to make a little cash and see these coins do well!

Oh, the good old days..26 pages ago. :smile:

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@chesterb said:

This happens every time I usually don't get sucked into it.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    I watch the same sellers moving nothing at $75. Is this the Twilight Zone ?
    Edit:
    I'll eat some crow. Must have been awhile since I checked. They are selling at $75 but they sit if priced any higher. Wake me up when they're $125.

I really don't expect $125, except maybe for an instant. If you look at the other Kennedy halves near 100k mintage, $100 is probably the peak. 1998 matte finish at 62k minted is more like $175ish.

You can scoff at $75 (and I'M the greedy one) but $54 wholesale, $75 retail is a larger bid/ask spread than most coins. Morgan dollars are more like $55 bid $60 ask. The coin business has crappy margins as a rule. I'm thrilled with my $11 per set net profit. I just sold $110 classic commem for a net $8 profit.

As for the pucks, I had 15 of them and sold them all at $260 each to a wholesaler who wanted to submit for 1st strike designation. I would actually expect the puck price, currently about $280 on eBay, to drop next week for opened boxes due to loss of First Strike eligibility. Although there may still be enough people impatient enough to pay the premium for a while to avoid the backorder to hold the $280 line.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@chesterb said:

This happens every time I usually don't get sucked into it.

Well I don't think you are out anything. They are nice coins. Like I said, I bought myself one just to have. And, so far, they haven't gone down at all. If you still have them sealed, you will still get a premium for 1st strike eligible coins.

The only one that has surprised me - and I'll admit to it - has been the palladium Eagle. Although they have fallen back over the last year despite a $500 increase in spot Palladium, I really did not expect that coin to hold a premium given the huge cost and what should be sufficient supply.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2019 4:50PM

_You can scoff at $75 (and I'M the greedy one) but $54 wholesale, $75 retail is a larger bid/ask spread than most coins. Morgan dollars are more like $55 bid $60 ask. The coin business has crappy margins as a rule. I'm thrilled with my $11 per set net profit. I just sold $110 classic commem for a net $8 profit.

Guess I've lost touch with reality, having to have to work for a living. Making a more than adequate pension and all I half to do is breath makes those deals of no interest. Maybe I'm not so greedy after all.

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2019 6:13PM

I really didn’t mean to start an argument
    I will tell you what if they don’t sell out by December 31 2019 (the 5 0z coins) I will buy another one and do a give a way in January
    Love they brother my brother

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Cut-off for the first strike/release designation is 25 Feb 2018 (Monday).

Quoting myself... forgot to add that the introductory pricing also ends. See @BackroadJunkie OP for regular prices.

• Options

So my single puck (ordered at 12:08) shipped yesterday evening, making it a First Strike eligible puck. This definitely makes this a brown box collectable. :wink:

Method: Fedex Smartpost
    Date Shipped: 02/25/19
    Track Order: 612xxxxxxxxxxx

Has anyone else's backorder shipped?

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    So my single puck (ordered at 12:08) shipped yesterday evening, making it a First Strike eligible puck. This definitely makes this a brown box collectable. :wink:

Just received my puck today!!

• Options

@Ka1956 said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Just received my puck today!!

So they're starting to ship. I wonder if there'll be a flood or if they'll trickle out of the Mint between ATB releases...

• Options

Sounds like good news for the pucks. Decided to order another one this past Saturday (23rd Feb). On backorder, CC was hit, and on backorder.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Sounds like good news for the pucks. Decided to order another one this past Saturday (23rd Feb). On backorder, CC was hit, and on backorder.

My card was initially hit too but they reversed it out. I looked at the FAQs and it appears they will charge it when it ships.

• Options

@chesterb said:

@Hemispherical said:

My card was initially hit too but they reversed it out. I looked at the FAQs and it appears they will charge it when it ships.

Thanks for the heads-up/reminder @chesterb.

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

If you sell for $75 per set on Ebay and you don't get special discounts, then here is what I see for profit:

$75 - $7.50 Ebay fee - $2.25 PayPal fee and assume postage - $5.50 = Net of $59.75. The set original set was $53.95 so a profit of $5.80 per set assuming you got free shipping from the mint. You have to sell a heck of a lot of these to make much money if you are playing the flipping game.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@Schmitz7 said:
    If you sell for $75 per set on Ebay and you don't get special discounts, then here is what I see for profit:

$75 - $7.50 Ebay fee - $2.25 PayPal fee and assume postage - $5.50 = Net of $59.75. The set original set was $53.95 so a profit of $5.80 per set assuming you got free shipping from the mint. You have to sell a heck of a lot of these to make much money if you are playing the flipping game.

It’s not a 10% eBay fee if you use a store.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2019 2:21PM

@Schmitz7 said:

My net is 65.50 per set. Package is only 5 oz to ship. With a store and top seller you only pay 5 5% ebay fees.

But even 5.80 per set is good if you don't get my discounts People think coin dealers have huge margins. It's just not true. Most coin store sales are bullion which is net 10% if you're lucky. Gold is more like 5%

• Options
    edited February 26, 2019 3:26PM

Update 2019 APOLLO 11 SILVER PROOF 5 OZ
    sales 63428
    02/24/2019

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Update 2019 APOLLO 11 SILVER PROOF 5 OZ
    sales 63428
    02/24/2019

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing limps along until December and never gets above 75-80,000 in total sales. It's a pretty coin and a fun piece but I don't think it is pulling in a lot of casual collectors who probably are perfectly happy with the 1 oz version at a much friendlier price point.

• Options

I received the one dollar Apollo silvers and they do not fit in the blue PCGS 20 coin holders. The baseball curved ones fit if I remember so there must be a slight difference in thickness.

I see the real big square looking PCGS box maybe for ATB's or pucks, but wondered if there is one more like normal PCGS blue ones that hold maybe 15 instead of 20 that would work for the dollar size ones?

Any ideas? I have Intercept shield cardboard ones, but sort of like having them separated a bit and would prefer ones that are more like normal PCGS style.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 7:12PM

Goldminer did you ask PCGS if they are going to sell a holder just for these? I suppose after mine come back I will be asking myself.
    Of course maybe I will make one of my extra PCGS boxes custom fit it by cutting every other one to widen the slot. Maybe a dremel flat thin cutter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file