Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Too much work. Easier to submit with a minimum grade requirement

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:
    Problem with half dollar sets is only buyers will be ebay and every one is a potential buyer screw over. Big boys have had plenty of time to get their fill.

I do 3500 transactions on ebay per year and have about 2 returns and no other issues. Been doing it for 20 years

You better knock on wood. I've done about 250 transactions in the last 15 years ( buying and selling) and had my share I wish didn't buy from me.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:
    Problem with half dollar sets is only buyers will be ebay and every one is a potential buyer screw over. Big boys have had plenty of time to get their fill.

I do 3500 transactions on ebay per year and have about 2 returns and no other issues. Been doing it for 20 years

You better knock on wood. I've done about 250 transactions in the last 15 years ( buying and selling) and had my share I wish didn't buy from me.

70,000 transactions later, it isn't luck. People, including ebay people are 99% good.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

it took me close to 20 years to do 10,000. your definitely have a lot of time in your business

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    it took me close to 20 years to do 10,000. your definitely have a lot of time in your business

Volume! LOL. And I hate to even think how many of them were $2 items.

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 6:50AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinpalice said:

Wow - I can't imagine doing so many $2 items. I won't list anything for less than $9.99 plus shipping. I've only had one return ever and it was an item I picked up for next to nothing so I told them to just keep it and refunded them. It was a sealed box Sirius radio that they said didn't work and probably didn't.

Back to the original post - my half dollar set came in yesterday morning and looked great. Also I collect half dollars so that is why I ordered it though I would love to have one of the pucks but just can't justify it financially at the moment.

Jim

• Options

@MaineJim said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinpalice said:

Wow - I can't imagine doing so many $2 items. I won't list anything for less than $9.99 plus shipping. I've only had one return ever and it was an item I picked up for next to nothing so I told them to just keep it and refunded them. It was a sealed box Sirius radio that they said didn't work and probably didn't.

Back to the original post - my half dollar set came in yesterday morning and looked great. Also I collect half dollars so that is why I ordered it though I would love to have one of the pucks but just can't justify it financially at the moment.

Jim

I should have said $2 and under. I've gone as low as 39 cents. LOL

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just collect half dollar unc. & proofs. Received my two coins today. I am very happy with the quality and the design. Nice job U.S.Mint!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

I was able to purchase one half dollar set this morning.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had their backordered puck ship?

Tomorrow is decision day, and if no backordered pucks have shipped, I'm sending mine in...

• Options
    edited February 13, 2019 1:15PM

You still have some time...cutoff is the 25th. I added a couple of extra saucers right after the backorder status appeared and they are still waiting to be born...site still says October 25th. I bet it will be earlier but not this month.....

I sent in my group a couple of days ago.....

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent my pucks in for grading today, will see if i get lucky for a 70.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@BigA said:
    You still have some time...cutoff is the 25th. I added a couple of extra saucers right after the backorder status appeared and they are still waiting to be born...site still says October 25th. I bet it will be earlier but not this month.....

I sent in my group a couple of days ago.....

They definitely won't ship ALL the backorders this month. I imagine they will be distributed gradually over time. There's no reason for them to wait to ship until all have been minted.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have all the struck-pucks been distributed? Everyone who ordered before b/o got theirs?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    Looks like two coin set is sold out it’s not available

I think a few are picking them early in the morning a few may become available. Don’t quote me though.

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Have all the struck-pucks been distributed? Everyone who ordered before b/o got theirs?

Yes, I believe so.

• Options

@jabba said:
    Looks like two coin set is sold out it’s not available

It may not be officially sold out for weeks or months. There's cancellations and returns that need to be processed.

• Options

...and it could be like the 2018 S proof ASE that went "currently unavailable" over two months ago, was removed from the mintage reports and STILL is not listed as sold out.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received another batch of 2-coiners, all in the vaunted "error" packaging, as if anyone will care 6 months hence. Ha. What concerns me is that we ordered pucks three minutes after they broke and nada as yet.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

My fuzzy memory just clicked on the about statement by " telephoto1 " , " What concerns me is that we ordered pucks three minutes after they broke and nada as yet ".

I think it may have been the Jackie Kennedy First Spouse Gold Coin a few years ago. Didn't that one go unavailable immediately on the Proofs and a few mi tues later on the BU?

My memory is weak on that one.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, once that FS date passes, the sales of the Puck will grind to a slow, agonizing crawl towards lonely space.
    Sucks for you that three minutes in you didn't receive a shipment. The Mint remains an enigma and lottery.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

I don't know of anyone who wasn't backordered who didn't get their pucks. All 3 of my orders, through 12:06 were shipped.

• Options

I have a group of pucks I'd like to submit, but have not done well in the past on grades. Any advice as to where to look for "frequent" blemishes -- I know sometimes certain points/places seem to be targets on some coins.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

In IMAX theaters for one week only beginning March 1 and then national release on March 8.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpLrp0SW8yg

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link. Looking forward to an IMAX viewing.

• Options

@jabba said:
    I forgot the return coins so if you sign up for one of the two coin sets you might get a return coin with that blown out Frost I’ve seen yuk!

I don't think they sell the return coins like that. They overmint the run to have spares to replace (I was told) but they also inspect all returns.

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jabba said:
    I forgot the return coins so if you sign up for one of the two coin sets you might get a return coin with that blown out Frost I’ve seen yuk!

I don't think they sell the return coins like that. They overmint the run to have spares to replace (I was told) but they also inspect all returns.

That’s good

• Options

The two coin set is available right now. Has been for last 16 minutes.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options

@fox9487 said:
    The two coin set is available right now. Has been for last 16 minutes.

Yes, there's over 100 still.

I bought 120.

• Options

@jmlanzaf

I placed small orders, stopped when I hit a measly 30 total. May had some more though.

• Options

I just went "all in" and ordered two more B) .....still over 100 left

• Options

They made it almost one hour.

• Options
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:

@BigA said:
    I just went "all in" and ordered two more B) .....still over 100 left

I’m curious if these are returned coins someone didn’t like please let us know the quality of the coins when you get them

They don't resell returned coins. They over-strike by a certain amount to replace returned sets. See this:

2014 Gold Baseball HOF overproduction...

The early morning sets are from unresolved transactions, such as credit card denials.

• Options
    edited February 16, 2019 6:20PM

I should be getting my special " 5 oz Black Label Earth Rising First Strike PF69 " any time now. Maybe next week!

• Options

Here is the link for the PCGS Population on the 5 Ounce Puck report. Looks like they got a few labels. I wonder which label will be to die for? :*

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/modern-silver-clad-commemoratives-1982-date/792?bsn=696820&sn=696821&p=PR&ccid=5601

695564 Shop 2019-P $1 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary, DC PRDC

696820 Shop 2019-P $1 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 5 oz Silver, DC PRDC

Base 2019-P $1 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary First Strike - 5 oz Silver Earth Rising, DC PRDC

698163 2019-P $1 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary First Strike - 5 oz Silver Earth Rising, DC PRDC

698216 2019-P $1 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary First Day of Issue - Launch Ceremony 5 oz Haise, DC PRDC

698513 2019-P $1 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary First Day of Issue-5 oz Silver Earth Rising, DC PRDC

699052 2019-P $1 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 5 oz Silver First Day of Issue Moy Signature, DC PRDC

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

696820 2019-P $1 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 5 oz Silver, DC 34 287 321

69 - 34
    70 - 287
    Total - 321

Appears the minimum 70 grade, if that's even allowed, is in full effect.

• Options

One of the 34 population count is mine! :p

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far, every coin I submitted was min grade 70. So, the pops do not reflect the coins I got back ungraded that failed to achieve the grade.

That said, I did submit 10 units for a board member and he was hoping for maybe 5/10 or 6/10 in 70 grade. The result was 10/10 for him! It always seems to happen that way when I submit coins for fellow board members! Lol.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin said:
    So far, every coin I submitted was min grade 70. So, the pops do not reflect the coins I got back ungraded that failed to achieve the grade.

That said, I did submit 10 units for a board member and he was hoping for maybe 5/10 or 6/10 in 70 grade. The result was 10/10 for him! It always seems to happen that way when I submit coins for fellow board members! Lol.

Wondercoin.

Don’t they still charge the grading fee if the coin doesn’t meet the minimum grade?

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jabba. Yes, I pay a fee for every coin, whether it comes back in a holder or not.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

That’s a good thing you did for your fellow board member. I am sure you will be rewarded 100 times over!

• Options

Of my 10 pucks, I submitted 8 best. Interesting that my two orders each appeared to have their own minor die issues. 5 consistently had a very small hit on the top of the D in GOD. The other 5 had similar on the inner "ring" (face shield) of the reverse (convex) side to the right of UNUM at about 4 o'clock. A few other very tiny frost breaks here and there but no real blemishes on any. At least what I can see -- the footprint is hard to see anything with all the minutia going's on in blinding fashion. All in all, they seem very high quality for such a large canvas. My track record isn't great so I expect some opinion differences.

• Options

The half set was available again this morning for 3-4 minutes. There was a quantity of over 100 available.

• Options

@fox9487 said:
    The half set was available again this morning for 3-4 minutes. There was a quantity of over 100 available.

Yes, I bought 6 more...including the last one!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@fox9487 said:

I grabbed 10 more just because......

• Options

@fox9487 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fox9487 said:

I grabbed 10 more just because......

LOL. Exactly!

They may not go up a lot, but I don't know that they'll go down a lot. Lots of Kennedy collectors out there.

I sold 6 in the last 3 days on eBay at $75 each (net $65 after shipping). That's a healthy coin margin

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Something doesn't add up here...

It said updated at 2/18/10 but FS 70s are still showing at 19 pop. Now, either PCGS truly hasn't update their pop database or...1 of the biggest online seller is in trouble, as they presold over 50 of these...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file