Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Getting there....baby steps....

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

How do I get a corrected outer sleeve? Must I call the mint?

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:
    Received my second Kennedy Set today, ordered 2/2, has incorrect sleeve.

Same here. I bought two more sets and I thought that I would get corrected sleeves, but I guess they're still mailing out the first batch, even after they realized the error....they're STILL mailing them out!!!!

• Options

Yup...mentioned that before as the reason for the very short backorder status. Mint said screw it and will ship them as is and eventually those who want a correct sleeve will have to request one....easier than holding another Apollo issue up forever

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

Thanks!

Still selling over 1000 per day. Probably won't last the week.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

First the Coin was more valuable IF it had an error on it. Then it was more valuable IF it was Graded by a TPG Slab. Along the way , the Slabbed Coin was made more valuable by the correct Paper Label. Next came the Sticker , was it Green or Gold? Of course the Slabbed Coin was made more valuable IF the correct Original Mint Packaging came along with it. And now we are to believe its All more valuable still if theres a Printing Error on the Mint Packaging?

Maybe next it will be elevated to an ultimate level if Blessed by the Pope? Or perhaps if kissed by Royalty?

😚

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    First the Coin was more valuable IF it had an error on it. Then it was more valuable IF it was Graded by a TPG Slab. Along the way , the Slabbed Coin was made more valuable by the correct Paper Label. Next came the Sticker , was it Green or Gold? Of course the Slabbed Coin was made more valuable IF the correct Original Mint Packaging came along with it. And now we are to believe its All more valuable still if theres a Printing Error on the Mint Packaging?

Maybe next it will be elevated to an ultimate level if Blessed by the Pope? Or perhaps if kissed by Royalty?

😚

I don't know of anyone with any knowledge of the coin market who thinks the printing has any value.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 of my sets all packed up for NGC for my 1st ever submission. To go out in the mail Monday.

• Options

I've got 14 sets in pain-in-the-butt unopened boxes all packaged and ready to go on Monday. Not a cheap event....but maybe it will work out.

• Options

BigA big dollar dawg! I wish you well on your endeavor and wishing you high grades! :)

• Options

Thanks...we can compare grade in a few weeks. I was going to send in all 22 sets but after doing the math for grading costs I backed off....and..I didn't have a box conveniently big enough for shipping...so I now have some "raws" which surprisingly are going for $68-$83 even though they are still on sale

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    I read what Backroad said about his "brown box" collection. I haven't started one yet but thought why not.

For some reason, I always find it amusing someone read some off-hand comment I wrote. ;)

I've got a couple of rules. Well, more like guidelines...

First, (and this is important), if you're going to put a sealed mint box away, you need to write what's inside. I will also include the Mint Order Number, date ordered and date shipped on the box. My X-Ray vision isn't good enough to see the packing slip on the inside of the box. If yours is, PM me, that's a very useful talent.

No high value items. Because you should probably open the box and check to make sure you actually got the coin. If in a few years you or someone opens it up to find an empty capsule in the presentation box, well...

I usually don't buy specifically for the brown box collection. For instance, I bought a couple of the March of Dime sets because of the RP silver dime (which was unique until last year) in two separate orders, one was opened, the other was not. So I didn't buy more than I intended, but just bought in a way that would allow me to keep a set sealed. The Loyalty Program makes this pain-free. However, since these are more like guidelines and not rules, exceptions occur, like the RP set last year and a few early enhanced Sacabuck C&C sets, since they seemed like they had a promising future, and the entry price was low...

You need to go through it every once in a while and open up the things that will never be worth anything ever, because the brown box is much larger than the product itself is, and you don't want some closet looking like the inside of a UPS truck.

I have a sealed box of 5 Apollo Half Dollar Sets with the wrong sleeves.
    Would this one be a good one to start with?

What were you going to do with them in the first place? If you were going to keep them, keeping them sealed just takes up a bit more space. Important if you're storage space challenged.

Depending on how the Mint handles the new sleeves, the corrected replacements could be rarer than the error.

If, like the 2003(?) silver proof set error that listed the coins as clad, the replacement sleeves will automatically be mailed to you. After all, it's not like they don't know where you live and how many you ordered.

If someone has to know the error exists and has to request a replacement, then the replacement sleeves will be much rarer.

This post has been brought to you by a lengthy download which will be finishing in a minute...

• Options

@BigA said:
    Yup...mentioned that before as the reason for the very short backorder status. Mint said screw it and will ship them as is and eventually those who want a correct sleeve will have to request one....easier than holding another Apollo issue up forever

I'm hoping they just mail them out.

What's quicker and less costly? A human physically removing a sleeve and replacing it for 5 sets, or just sticking 5 replacement sleeves in an envelope and mailing them out?

Yeah, I'm sure the Mint said just fulfill all the orders, and we'll sort it out in the end. And the strategy may have worked if they're about to sell out...

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

One would think that an online ordering form for a corrective sticker and "instructions" on, well, where to sticks it, is more feasible.

...but we know its the US Mint.

• Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I am not seeing the 5 oz silver puck or its little brother in hand with the AMF label yet. Has anyone else seen them live? Looks like the Earth Rising label may be though?

• Options
    rajaraja Posts: 65 ✭✭

I saw a few pages back I saw entries to this thread about delays in submissions to our host not being entered into the system. Mine is not yet in there even though it was received from USPS last Monday (4th). Are others seeing similar delays? Thanks.

Colonials and Post-Colonials
  • Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

@raja said:
    I saw a few pages back I saw entries to this thread about delays in submissions to our host not being entered into the system. Mine is not yet in there even though it was received from USPS last Monday (4th). Are others seeing similar delays? Thanks.

Yes, USPS tracking shows mine were delivered to PCGS on Tuesday the 5th but are not yet in the system as a pending order.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@raja said:

Yes, my order was received last Monday (4th) and still no confirmation of PCGS receiving it. :/

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@BigA said:
    I've got 14 sets in pain-in-the-butt unopened boxes all packaged and ready to go on Monday. Not a cheap event....but maybe it will work out.

You could have opened them because you have 30 days to get 1st Strike Label so need a post mark by Febuary 24th. No need to ship all the OGP and pay the extra shipping both ways. You could also screen coins for any not meeting your min grade criteria and not pay for grading of rejects.

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I really like that hockey puck. The one I ordered is backordered.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:

@BigA said:

You could have opened them because you have 30 days to get 1st Strike Label so need a post mark by Febuary 24th. No need to ship all the OGP and pay the extra shipping both ways. You could also screen coins for any not meeting your min grade criteria and not pay for grading of rejects.

You are making some incorrect assumptions.

He is looking for an Early Release label and a set attribution, not a First Strike label. I am doing the same thing. :wink:

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@GRANDAM said:

@BigA said:

You are making some incorrect assumptions.

He is looking for an Early Release label and a set attribution, not a First Strike label. I am doing the same thing. :wink:

OK, my mistake.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2019 4:19PM

@GRANDAM said:

@raja said:

Yes, my order was received last Monday (4th) and still no confirmation of PCGS receiving it. :/

Mine too Grand I think they are getting slammed by the big boys wanting their thousands graded so they can flood Ebay with profits! Sorry! Mine is on the back burner waiting for processing. I should of wrote on the outside MCM or APMEX just to fool them. Wonder if that is a crime? :(

But the Big Boys are advertising come and get it!
    Pre Sale $ 160.00
    2019-S Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2-Coin Commemorative Clad Half Dollar Proof + Enhanced Reverse Proof Set NGC PF70 First Release Black Core Holder

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2019-s-apollo-11-50th-anniversary-commemorative-clad-half-dollar-proof-coin-ngc-pf70-fr-black-core-holder-astronaut-scholarship-foundation-label-sku57200.html

Pre Sale $579.00 2019-P Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative 5 oz. Silver Dollar Proof Coin NGC PF70 Early Release Black Core Holder
    https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2019-p-apollo-11-50th-anniversary-commemorative-5-oz.-silver-dollar-proof-coin-ngc-pf70-er-black-core-holder-astronaut-scholarship-foundation-label-sku57195.html

Come and get it! :*

• Options
    edited February 11, 2019 4:23PM

@Gluggo

I should of wrote on the outside MCM or APMEX just to fool them. Wonder if that is a crime?> :(

I suspect that you would be sent to submission prison. ;)

• Options

New numbers from the Mint. See Post #3 of this thread for full data...

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives
    DateSoldIncreaseSoldIncreaseSoldIncreaseComment
    Gold$5 Gold Proof (19CA)$5 Gold Unc (19CB)BEP Print: Mission (B49296)
    1/27/201919,81219,8129,0669,0668,0008,000Gold Price: $418.75/$408.75
    2/3/201921,9492,1379,9849188,0000Gold issues on backorder
    2/10/201922,72677710,1231398,0000Gold Price: $431.00/$421.00
    Silver$1 Silver Proof (19CC)$1 Silver Unc (19CD)$1 5oz Silver Proof (19CH)
    1/27/2019105,136105,13638,72838,72860,48960,4895oz on backorder
    2/3/2019117,36112,22543,2514,52363,5983,1095oz on backorder
    2/10/2019125,5788,21745,2762,02562,715-8835oz on backorder
    Clad50¢ Clad Proof (19CE)50¢ Clad Unc (19CG)50¢ Proof Half Set (19CF)
    1/27/201934,43034,43024,22024,22069,15569,155
    2/3/201938,3093,87927,3653,14584,34915,194
    2/10/201940,3912,08228,9241,55994,1199,770

Cancels must have hit the pucks... :smile:

• Options
    rajaraja Posts: 65 ✭✭

Thanks for all who replied. That makes me happy that it did not fall through the cracks...

Colonials and Post-Colonials
  • Options

I stand by my prediction that the kennedy is the only possible winner here.

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I believe your right! Looks like the Apollo coins are a huge flop to me. I wonder how many order cancellations there will be before the backorders are filled?

• Options

He is looking for an Early Release label and a set attribution, not a First Strike label. I am doing the same thing.

Correct....

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

@SoundPoint said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I believe your right! Looks like the Apollo coins are a huge flop to me. I wonder how many order cancellations there will be before the backorders are filled?

Only a flop if you're a flipper. Compared to the last few years of other issues, sales look robust to me. The designs are some of the strongest in recent years. Sure, some goofs, such as the design being too small for the gold issues, but I think the Mint did a really nice job on these and I'm happy to have one. Also have to wonder, did many outside of the coin community even hear about these coins? It's a tough age for coin collecting and my guess is that few people even know that the Mint sells commemoratives anymore.

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@GritsMan said:

Only a flop if you're a flipper. Compared to the last few years of other issues, sales look robust to me. The designs are some of the strongest in recent years. Sure, some goofs, such as the design being too small for the gold issues, but I think the Mint did a really nice job on these and I'm happy to have one. Also have to wonder, did many outside of the coin community even hear about these coins? It's a tough age for coin collecting and my guess is that few people even know that the Mint sells commemoratives anymore.

AGREED! I was just basing my opinion on the sales figures BackroadJunkie posted. They just didn't meet my expectations. As a collector, I think the coins are beautiful and I really like the SPACE themed coins and medallions! I just wish the gold, silver and clad coins would have had different designs though. Times are changing and coin collecting is not as popular as what it used to be - the new age of diversity I guess.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

No one ( almost) collects Kennedy's

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Can't speak for me as I do collect Kennedy's...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Only, what, the second most popular series behind Lincoln cents?

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You might want to study the market a little harder. Of modern series, it is second only to Lincoln cents. 100k mintage is small enough to make these a winner. You might want to look at the 2017 enhanced and 2017 reverse proof coins. Most of those sets were dogs. The only ones you could sell singly for decent money were the cents and halves.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2019 10:13AM

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You might also look at the current price ($125+) for the 1998 matte proof Kennedy with a mintage of 62,000

There's a reason this set will be sold out in a week.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

You might want to study the market a little harder. Of modern series, it is second only to Lincoln cents. 100k mintage is small enough to make these a winner. You might want to look at the 2017 enhanced and 2017 reverse proof coins. Most of those sets were dogs. The only ones you could sell singly for decent money were the cents and halves.

don't speak about my enhanced sets like that :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

don't speak about my enhanced sets like that :)

LOL.

Hey, I like the enhanced sets! But you can pretty much get the same money selling just the cent and half dollar as you can selling the whole set.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 11:13AM

Apollo Half Dollar Sets ….Gone with the Wind.... B)

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Good catch. :D

• Options

I knew that comment would get a few panties in a bunch 🤓

• Options

I thought by the end of the week....but, as mentioned, they are toast already

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 12:14PM

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Bullsitter said:

Good catch. :D

Time for the 7am option.

7am coffee/caffeine then half past for bagging the leftovers. B)

• Options
    edited February 12, 2019 12:12PM

Problem with half dollar sets is only buyers will be ebay and every one is a potential buyer screw over. Big boys have had plenty of time to get their fill.

• Options

Kinda like all Mint products that don't sell out on day one

• Options
    edited February 12, 2019 12:57PM

@jabba said:
    My submission got logged today it got there last Tuesday

Well that reassuring that means mine which was received 2-7 two days after yours should get logged in a few days. So its taking seven ( 7 ) days to open the mail and log in. That's reassuring good reaction time! State and Government takes about 4 to 6 weeks and they openly admit it. Meanwhile private business is taking 7 days. Not bad! :*

Just to make a point my 5 Oz Apollo 11 Coin I sent back to the Mint WELL Boxed and double wrapped in the tough USPS Deliver Confirmation cover has been stuck in limbo at its final City Memphis Tennessee since Thursday the 7th. Made it from Alaska to Memphis in 3 days and now its been 5 days just sitting. I bet there seeing how they could break into the package and steal it down in Memphis. Figuring how do we cut through this outer layer and penetrate the thick box. After all its has the Label " US Mint " we all know what that is. I can see them shaking the box trying to figure out what’s in it. Wondering if its Gold or junk medal? US Government (Postal Workers) at work!

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    Problem with half dollar sets is only buyers will be ebay and every one is a potential buyer screw over. Big boys have had plenty of time to get their fill.

I do 3500 transactions on ebay per year and have about 2 returns and no other issues. Been doing it for 20 years

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

I think the Big Boys pick out the good ones for grading.
    I think the raw sets from the Big Boys will be the problem sets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file