Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well @pruebas have you read the inscription? These people were in the tombstone business... :o Magnificent as always.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas your collection never seizes to amaze.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    Well @pruebas have you read the inscription? These people were in the tombstone business... :o Magnificent as always.

Cool @Abuelo ! I never thought about it. I just saw sellos and tarjetas.

I wish they were still in business. I’ve been looking for an engraver to make steel-engraved business cards!

• Options

@carabonnair said:
    I probably haven't taken these out since the 1991 Chicago ANA exhibit. Peru zinc centavos 1950-1963 also with the 60/50 overdate and 1965.

Very cool collection! These must be very hard to collect in good shape as uncoated zinc is highly reactive. I never understood why they made them this way. I assume a centavo was almost worthless even back then.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    This is a trial strike of a 1842MoMM 8 Escudo struck on a copper medal. It is supposedly a plate photo in Grove (Volume 2), but as my books are still in boxes, I have been unable to verify.

Whenever I see something like this, my first thought is that it may be a trial for a contemporary counterfeit. Have you tried to match the dies to a real coin?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@pruebas said:
    This is a trial strike of a 1842MoMM 8 Escudo struck on a copper medal. It is supposedly a plate photo in Grove (Volume 2), but as my books are still in boxes, I have been unable to verify.

Whenever I see something like this, my first thought is that it may be a trial for a contemporary counterfeit. Have you tried to match the dies to a real coin?

True. I would have hoped PCGS did that.... ;) I don’t have an appropriate 8E to check against.

Anyone able to upload a photo of the Grove catalog entry to see what he says? (My humble thanks in advance.)

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@pruebas said:

True. I would have hoped PCGS did that.... ;) I don’t have an appropriate 8E to check against.

Anyone able to upload a photo of the Grove catalog entry to see what he says? (My humble thanks in advance)

Thanks @TwoKopeiki. Is there a “regular issue” of this medal. What is it dated?

• Options

The next medal B-131 has the same obverse, but a different reverse with the legend inside the same sawtooth circle reading "2a CALLE DE PLATEROS No 9
    GRABADOR
    DEL SUPmo
    GOBIERNO
    MEXICO "

That one comes in 25mm brass and 31.5mm bronze (trial strike)

Not dated

• Options
  • Options

Apparently the tombstones were profitable... :D

• Options

What I am trying to determine is whether the original medal (in its proper format, not a trial strike with a missing side) was dated near 1842. Knowing that should help determine how this trial piece was made and for what purpose (I thought Grove might surmise that, but he didn’t).

For example, if the medal was from the 1860s, then clearly the 8E dies was just lying around the mint and the trial was not meant to test the 8E die.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2019 8:25AM

@pruebas that should help to answer. As I always say, if you are not in Google, you do not exist :D

• Options
    edited February 9, 2019 10:02AM

Am I the only one who thinks the die was cracked / shattered, pointing to a decommissioned mint die as a more likely scenario? Would be neat to compare die elements and alignment to an 1842 8 Escudos to confirm the match.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki we will never know. According to Richard Long there is only one 8 escudos 1842 Mo MM. And 2 or 3 of the ML. It is a very rare coin.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Q: Name a troy ounce delineated silver bullion coin from a Latin-American country which debuted in 1982.

A: Not so fast...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Matching pair from a local shop this week:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:
    Q: Name a troy ounce delineated silver bullion coin from a Latin-American country which debuted in 1982.

Is it by chance....

Not much bigger'n a quarter, but about 3x as thick. Only made 100,000 of 'em.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Weiss said:

Is it by chance....

Not much bigger'n a quarter, but about 3x as thick. Only made 100,000 of 'em.

It is! :)

Or more specifically:

Composition: Silver
    Fineness: 0.9250
    Weight: 16.8100g
    Thickness: 3.2 mm
    ASW: 0.499919623193531oz
    Melt Value: $7.83 (2/14/2019)
    Diameter: 28mm
    Shape Round
    Orientation Medal alignment ↑↑
    Demonetized yes
    References KM# 286
    DESIGN
    Obverse: National arms
    Reverse: Head left
    Edge Description: Reeded
    NOTES
    Subject: Battle of La Brena and General Caceres
    Note: Mint mark in monogram.
    Country Peru
    Type Non circulating coin
    Year 1982
    Value 10000 Soles de Oro (10000 PEH)

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Boosibri said:

A familiar coin - glad it went to a great collection!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

Yep, thanks to @OriginalDan

I love the look of the C4 in 64 you recently picked up too

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Yep, thanks to @OriginalDan

I love the look of the C4 in 64 you recently picked up too

Thanks Brian. Still waiting for the postal system to get it to me in Canada, but really looking forward to receiving it.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth said:
    Here is a 1943 (P) Guatemala 10c in PCGS MS67. The 1943 10c along with the 5c are much easier/available type coins as you know compared to the 25c.

Love the color on your 10c, Jeff. There must have been a roll or two of the 5c and 10c saved at the time... the 25c seems to have been mostly used up in commerce, and while the 1c and 2c have "nice" examples vis-à-vis condition, their brass composition have made most of them unattractive.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:

@cecropiamoth said:
    Here is a 1943 (P) Guatemala 10c in PCGS MS67. The 1943 10c along with the 5c are much easier/available type coins as you know compared to the 25c.

Love the color on your 10c, Jeff. There must have been a roll or two of the 5c and 10c saved at the time... the 25c seems to have been mostly used up in commerce, and while the 1c and 2c have "nice" examples vis-à-vis condition, their brass composition have made most of them unattractive.

Agree, Michael. That one eBay seller has had a number of the high grade 66/67 5c and 10c. There had to have been a number of them (perhaps rolls as you mention) saved off early on. The 25c has to be tough to find as I haven't come across a high grade PCGS or NGC example. It was always a very common coin in the local foreign silver bin, usually in very heavily worn condition. Yours is a very nice example and I find that coin to be quite the interesting type.

Jeff

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 8:06PM

I've had this one for over five years but just got around to photographing it.

• Options

A few quick reimages

• Options

The TV in the 1811 is very nice @TwoKopeiki

• Options

Love the sunfaces, Brian... really nice example! Looking forward to seeing a gold one. ;)

@Boosibri said:

• Options