Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Weird. All 3 of my Mint orders shipped, including 3x5 (15!) pucks, all shipped. The weird part is that the shipments are all broken up even though I placed a single order. There are as many as 4 sub-packages with the order including one where the 5 pucks ended up in 3 different packages!

That's the same for my order. There are 3 UPS packages for 1 order. Don't know why they are doing it that way unless they don't want to ship all 5 pucks in the same box?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Would you say this statement is True or False?
    --->>51,000 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof 5-ounce Silver Dollar Coins were minted and available for sale on the First Day they were issued and all orders after the initial allotment sold are backordered and will be available WED, May 1, 2019 until the mintage limit is reached.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@SoundPoint said:
    --->>51,000 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof 5-ounce Silver Dollar Coins were minted and available for sale on the First Day they were issued and all orders after the initial allotment sold are backordered and will be available WED, May 1, 2019 until the mintage limit is reached.

If I had to guess, I'd say they minted half the mintage, so 50k and anything over that will have to wait for another minting to occur....I doubt it takes that long, May 1st, but who knows. I guess for those that got their pucks first, there will be at least limited number of First Strikes?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Weird. All 3 of my Mint orders shipped, including 3x5 (15!) pucks, all shipped. The weird part is that the shipments are all broken up even though I placed a single order. There are as many as 4 sub-packages with the order including one where the 5 pucks ended up in 3 different packages!

Maybe the contractor ran out of larger shipping boxes and instead of having orders pile up waiting for a re-supply they are shipping what they can?

All mine appear to be in one shipment... hoping the pucks don’t damage the gold. They do have a problem with putting enough (any) packing material in the shipping boxes. :|

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Yup...my five saucers are in one box..well maybe. "Label created" on the 25th but not picked up yet..weight for 5 saucers listed as 6.4 lbs. ??????

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2019 11:07AM

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That's the same for my order. There are 3 UPS packages for 1 order. Don't know why they are doing it that way unless they don't want to ship all 5 pucks in the same box?

My last few packages from the mint have been that way. It's expensive way to do things. Maybe there are savings built-in that aren't obvious?

ETA: I think I read that Amazon does something similar. That's why your packages come in all shapes/sizes. They have an algorithm that allows them to perfectly pack the trucks from the warehouse so that there is no wasted space from guessing your way through and awkwardly packaging a million packages. Also, it should cut down on amount of time to pack a truck instead of guessing/arranging/rearranging/saying screw it and leaving empty space. Maybe also less trucks?

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCC2010 said:
    So a lot of these would possibly not even meet the First Strike cut off date then if shipped after a month from yesterday...

As far as I know it has always been a rule that if you leave the coin inside the UNOPENED Mint box you can send it in months and maybe years later to get the first strike label. Unless our host has changed it there is no worry if you get your coin the first or second or third batch.....as long as you leave it in the unopened mint box.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

@1tommy said:

@CCC2010 said:
    So a lot of these would possibly not even meet the First Strike cut off date then if shipped after a month from yesterday...

As far as I know it has always been a rule that if you leave the coin inside the UNOPENED Mint box you can send it in months and maybe years later to get the first strike label. Unless our host has changed it there is no worry if you get your coin the first or second or third batch.....as long as you leave it in the unopened mint box.

As long as the postmark is within the 30 day time frame. So if the postmark is outside of that there might be an issue. But, I think, if you have a receipt within the first 30 days you are covered... probably best to call CS.

“Submit the coins in the original unopened shipping box from the U.S. Mint with a postmark date prior to the specified PCGS cutoff date.”

https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike/

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoundPoint said:

There are to many moving parts to this statement to give a definitive answer. If you are trying to draft a legally accountable statement I am not sure I'd call it necessarily "true".

• we don't know for sure how many were minted; the backorder kicked in when the supply available for delivery was depleted, not necessarily when the existing mintage was depleted (sometimes they need to wait for additional packaging, additional inventory, etc.).

• the May 1 date is an estimate and is already proving to be a soft deadline as some are getting shipped earlier.

• nothing says that the rest of the mintage will be available May 1 - another, later backorder could kick in once the next batch is depleted.

• you could argue that backordered coins are "available for sale", but are simply not yet available for delivery. The mint will still take your order, i.e. - "sell" you the coin.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Where are they shipping out from? I got a mysterious package out for delivery that came from Memphis Tennessee. I am thinking its one of my orders.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Where are they shipping out from? I got a mysterious package out for delivery that came from Memphis Tennessee. I am thinking its one of my orders.

Memphis sounds right. Post pics when it arrives!

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2019 11:31AM

@SoundPoint said:

Maybe if you used some punctuation in that question...

You don't know (and may never know) how many pucks they had to go on day 1. But they sold and shipped all they had.

The backorder dates given by the mint are extremely pessimistic. I suspect the backordered pucks will be available sooner than that.

Keep in mind the Mint only has one press that can do 3" rounds, so we're probably looking at not only a slow process (13 coins per minute, mentioned in the old thread here), but it also has to strike the ATB pucks as well, which is on their own schedule.

I imagine the ATB pucks will take precedence. They have to get both the bullion and collectors versions out on schedule.

That means we may see the Apollo pucks trickle out of the mint for the next few weeks/months.

In any event, they'll make all that's in demand up to the 100K limit.

Does that answer the question?

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

UPS identifies packages coming from the Mint as coming from "US Mint, MEMPHIS, TN, US".

FedEx identifies the sender as
    FULFILLMENT CENTER
    4638 E SHELBY DR
    MEMPHIS, TN US 381187424
    1 972 881-2900

Everything from the Mint comes out of the distribution center in Memphis, even apparently, the BEP products.

• Options

Thank you for the confirmation and I will post some pics once I get them. Hopefully I wont have to sign for them, and the MM drops them in my lock box, or I will have to wait a day.

• Options

@JBK said:

@SoundPoint said:

There are to many moving parts to this statement to give a definitive answer. If you are trying to draft a legally accountable statement I am not sure I'd call it necessarily "true".

• we don't know for sure how many were minted; the backorder kicked in when the supply available for delivery was depleted, not necessarily when the existing mintage was depleted (sometimes they need to wait for additional packaging, additional inventory, etc.).

Backorder kicked in after the available supply was depleted. My single puck wasn't backordered until well after the order was in process. Grrrrrr.... (The two pucks with my gold order did ship, but that was an early order.)

• the May 1 date is an estimate and is already proving to be a soft deadline as some are getting shipped earlier.

• nothing says that the rest of the mintage will be available May 1 - another, later backorder could kick in once the next batch is depleted.

• you could argue that backordered coins are "available for sale", but are simply not yet available for delivery. The mint will still take your order, i.e. - "sell" you the coin.

At least they don't charge you until the coin ships. But they're basically giving you a place in the virtual waiting queue... :wink:

(I need to go out and shovel more snow. I've been procrastinating... :D)

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@1tommy said:

@CCC2010 said:

As long as the postmark is within the 30 day time frame. So if the postmark is outside of that there might be an issue. But, I think, if you have a receipt within the first 30 days you are covered... probably best to call CS.

“Submit the coins in the original unopened shipping box from the U.S. Mint with a postmark date prior to the specified PCGS cutoff date.”

The packing list from the Mint inside the box is where the date is sourced, iirc. It's not necessarily 30 days, which is why you have to go look at PCGS's FS cutoff dates.

Labels from the Mint are notoriously absent in any useful information, like when it was shipped and what's inside the box.

Sealed shipping boxes are what comprise my "Brown Box Collection", in case anyone's been wondering what the heck that means.

I know there are a few here who have such a collection... :D

(Still don't want to go out and shovel...)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoundPoint said:

False. They only sold 51,000 on the first day and that would have included back orders

• Options

And I am stuck at work! 1.5 foot of new snow and still falling! Arggggg

TODAY
    11:33 AM
    Delivered, In/At Mailbox
    KENAI,AK 99611

Jan 28
    07:47 AM
    Out for Delivery
    KENAI,AK 99611

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    And I am stuck at work! 1.5 foot of new snow and still falling! Arggggg

TODAY
    11:33 AM
    Delivered, In/At Mailbox
    KENAI,AK 99611

Jan 28
    07:47 AM
    Out for Delivery
    KENAI,AK 99611

I hate that for you Gluggo, crank up that plow... :#

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2019 3:12PM

Someone needs to teach the Mint shipping company how to pack coins for shipment. I picked up my box today and as the Postal Clerk handed it to me she commented as to how the contents were just flopping around inside.

Would it KILL them to buy some bubble packing?

FYI,,,, First Strike Shipping guidelines,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Huge piece of lint on that Kennedy half? Yup must be authentic mint issue.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2019 4:00PM

@thevolcanogod said:
    Huge piece of lint on that Kennedy half? Yup must be authentic mint issuers

I had enough time to drive 5 miles grab the mail. Snap a few shot and post . Back at work. Even my dog and cat was wondering where you going daddy? Back to workie I told them. I left them with their jaws open. Plus we’re in a snow storm. I just shot this.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2019 4:03PM

@Gluggo said:
    of course they have the plastic cover

Those coins are sweet. Glad I'm in for 5 sets (being processed), might have to up that.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Nice looking Halves, I think the half set is probably the best bang for the buck with this offering, pretty cool.

Is the Kennedy going to be limited to this set?

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got shipped notice for the dollars and halfs. Weird how these didn't go out on Friday.

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@Gluggo said:

Can you take the plastic covers off and rake some pictures so we can get a good look? Don't forget to take you socks off and put them on your hands so you don't get fingerprints.

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Gluggo sir ...what is your opinion regarding the 5 oz in hand?

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@SoundPoint said:

I agree with you too!! I should have just asked: "What constitutes a sellout these days? Many people have said the 5oz. issue sold out in less than 10 minutes. Take HSN, they are selling the same set the mint is selling. HSN price $599. US Mint price $225. HSN is implying the issue sold out from the mint and they have the sets in hand and ready to ship. To me, with the mint going into a "backorder" status does not constitute a sellout!! Just because you cannot get the set immediately doesn't mean it is a sellout IMHO. What do you think?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoundPoint said:

Many people have said the 5oz. issue sold out in less than 10 minutes. Take HSN, they are selling the same set the mint is selling. HSN price $599. US Mint price $225. HSN is implying the issue sold out from the mint and they have the sets in hand and ready to ship. To me, with the mint going into a "backorder" status does not constitute a sellout!! Just because you cannot get the set immediately doesn't mean it is a sellout IMHO. What do you think?

It is NOT sold out. It did not sell out in 90 seconds, nor ten minutes. That is hype. You can still order on the mint website however they are in back order mode...read back some of the posts in this string and you will get your explanation.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2019 5:06PM

@CCC2010 said:
    Gluggo sir ...what is your opinion regarding the 5 oz in hand?

So all I got is the half set today from the mint. Now on a personal opinion I think they are charging to much so I only bought 1. I will send it in for PCGS grading once I get it. It has shipped but has not made it yet. In fact I am surprised more people have not posted their pictures yet since I am way up in Alaska. I am guessing we should see a slew of pictures soon.

Will it hold its value the 5 ounce ? Only time will tell that’s why I only got 1. I actually like the half set better due to the 59 bucks. I never sell my coins so many here buy and sell because that’s their business or livelihood. Me I am just a hard working Oil Field trash hand. Started as a worm and worked my way up the ladder. Almost tipped the man lift last week 50 feet out in the air. That would of ended my career. Oil Field is a dangerous job. I count my blessing each day I go home safe to play with my dog and coins. Here is a pic way up high from that day.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Pics

@Gluggo said:

Spectacular! Glad I am getting some of these sets.

Thanks for the pics @Gluggo!

• Options

@Onastone said:

@SoundPoint said:

Many people have said the 5oz. issue sold out in less than 10 minutes. Take HSN, they are selling the same set the mint is selling. HSN price $599. US Mint price $225. HSN is implying the issue sold out from the mint and they have the sets in hand and ready to ship. To me, with the mint going into a "backorder" status does not constitute a sellout!! Just because you cannot get the set immediately doesn't mean it is a sellout IMHO. What do you think?

It is NOT sold out. It did not sell out in 90 seconds, nor ten minutes. That is hype. You can still order on the mint website however they are in back order mode...read back some of the posts in this string and you will get your explanation.

Our old friend Mike he likes to bend the truth! But he is a good talker!

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Thank you for your input sir. Yes pls. becareful at work in those heights as its indeed dangerous. One misstep and your dog and cat will become the beneficiaries of those beautiful coins.

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options

@SoundPoint said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@SoundPoint said:

I agree with you too!! I should have just asked: "What constitutes a sellout these days? Many people have said the 5oz. issue sold out in less than 10 minutes. Take HSN, they are selling the same set the mint is selling. HSN price $599. US Mint price $225. HSN is implying the issue sold out from the mint and they have the sets in hand and ready to ship. To me, with the mint going into a "backorder" status does not constitute a sellout!! Just because you cannot get the set immediately doesn't mean it is a sellout IMHO. What do you think?

The serious answer to this is when status on the web page flips from "Currently Unavailable" to "Sold Out". Until the Mint declares the product sold out, more can become available due to credit card issue, etc.

We've seen product that was unavailable become available in small amounts for weeks.

So the product is sold out when it's marked sold out. I mean seriously, are you going to believe anything you hear on HSN?

• Options
    edited January 28, 2019 5:44PM

Our host has listed the Apollos in Coin Facts. So far no grades are posted. Coin Facts search “Apollo”.

This is interesting. Looks like they will be offering a two-coin holder for the Apollo/Kennedy set:

2019-S 50C Apollo 11 50th Anniv. Rev PR Half Dollar Set 2 Coin Holder (Proof) PCGS #: 697699 https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2019-s-50c-apollo-11-50th-anniv-rev-pr-half-dollar-set-2-coin-holder/697699

Do not know if the link below will be the Apollo/Kennedy setup since it is dated Sep 2012. https://www.pcgs.com/news/new-from-pcgs-put-two-coins-in-one-holder

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awfully gutsy for HSN to say they are soldout. First day sales were only half of the saleout number, and they still do not show sold out. Could be an easy lawsuit for them.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both gold and the half set just delivered. The 5 oz will complete the order when they ship. Next to come will be the dollars and halfs which are shipping UPS 2nd Day Air.

• Options

Mine still at... label created and awaiting UPS. :/

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie
    Thank you for compiling the stat ..... greatly appreciate it :)

• Options

Can I whine? I'd like to whine.

UPS had scheduled my gold/puck package to arrive today, and suddenly it's been moved to tomorrow.

My silver dollars still haven't shipped, and when they do... Smartpost.

Sure wish I knew what's going on with that print...

Thank you . I feel much better now. (No I don't, but I'm backing up some data and am wasting some time...)

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI .. BEP Print Mintage Limit: 8000 not 7k

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    My submission is on the way,,,,,,

Excellent packing job!! Don't forget the return address!....you never know.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2019 5:44AM

@Onastone said:
    Excellent packing job!! Don't forget the return address!....you never know.

I just left my return address off for the photo.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 6:10AM

Nice tape job! What kind of tape is that? :)

For what it's worth, I was just able to place an order for a couple of pucks, no backorder message. No sellout message.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2019 6:46AM

@jmski52 said:
    Nice tape job! What kind of tape is that? :)

>

Kraft Paper Tape,,,,, been using it on Registered packages for years. Self adhesive,,,,,,,, no water needed.
    https://www.amazon.com/Shurtape-FP-96-General-Purpose-Packaging/dp/B000QEBF0E/ref=pd_sim_op_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z93RKTJY642EKN9PF58

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file