Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you love or hate the new CoinFacts with 95% of all photos deleted?

Do you love or hate the new CoinFacts with 95% of all photos deleted?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

can someone explain why they did this?

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hate the new coinfacts, without photos it's useless

Hate it...........please bring back the photos! Please, please, please!!!

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinfacts app on my phone still has the photos.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Public polls reduce participation.

• deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

I don't like it very much either.

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

Less education, whatever spin you put on it, results in less, not more. This was a step backward. What’s next?

I brake for ear bars.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

i seriously hope a rational decision is made to fully restore it
    to it's prior level of excellence

so sad and disheartening to see what they've done to one of their industry edges

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from the photo issue there has always been difficult navigation on all the PCGS pages, not just Coinfacts, at least for me.

Every page should have a menu with links to every other page within the topic.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• 1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll probably post detailed comments on Brett’s thread tonight, but I think it’s terrible to reduce CoinFacts to a shell of what it once was picture-wise.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

@privatecoin said:

Are you sure? On my phone there used to be two options, ValueView and one for image view. I don't remember what it was called, but it's gone now. ValueView is the only choice. Send a screen shot.

@robec said:

@privatecoin said:

Are you sure? On my phone there used to be two options, ValueView and one for image view. I don't remember what it was called, but it's gone now. ValueView is the only choice. Send a screen shot.

Yeah mine is valueview.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

It’s a business move on their part. The resubmissions and the changing of grades discredits them so they’re protecting themselves. It’s a smart move honestly. If I was the ceo I would never have a free service that potentially hurts the integrity of the company. Don’t get me wrong I’m sad to see it go as well but I’m keeping my fingers crossed their just going to clean up pictures of the same coins and put them back up. That’s my guess anyway.

@privatecoin Then yours has changed also and you don't have all the images. You are only able to see 3 where as before there was an ImageView option and there were 10-20 photos.

Got it.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 12:11PM

@KeithMS70 said:
    It’s a business move on their part. The resubmissions and the changing of grades discredits them so they’re protecting themselves. It’s a smart move honestly. If I was the ceo I would never have a free service that potentially hurts the integrity of the company. Don’t get me wrong I’m sad to see it go as well but I’m keeping my fingers crossed their just going to clean up pictures of the same coins and put them back up. That’s my guess anyway.

I make decisions to cancel and discontinue services my company offers but I try to make it as painless as possible for my customers. I'm guessing the people who made the decision were not big users of the site and didn't consult big users of the site. Hopefully, they'll take this new feedback under advisement. If they cannot resolve the issues without rendering the site mostly useless to many collectors, this will cause a potentially significant behavior change in their collecting base.

@privatecoin said:
    Got it.

It used to look like this (up until a couple of days ago)

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowledge and resources are of little value if not shared.

• deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

If someone is worried about being “caught” making an upgrade and then trying to sell for a big profit, I say this is a non issue.

The truth IMHO is simply this:

If you think a coin is properly graded, end of story. It doesn’t matter if it was improperly graded before. Plus, if the coin is a monster, then pay for it!! Doesn’t matter what it was before.

If it is over graded now, then forget about it. Don’t buy it. Any over graded coin is something to stay away from.

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • MartinMartin Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see a las vegans teddy post

Martin

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think it sucks. i discovered it the other day while i was looking up a coin. my guess it's about money. all those images cost money to store and serve. plus, they did have some that were incorrect or duplicates, etc...so, instead of paying someone money to clean and maintain it, they must have figured just cut the majority of them and that's it. it's a cost center.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinfacts, what's coinfacts, who cares, doesnt bother me either way

I don’t know honestly don’t know

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinfacts, what's coinfacts, who cares, doesnt bother me either way

Just voted to see results

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vote early and often!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I logged in for the first time in a month to vote. To me coinfacts is now useless, at least for my use. Before I used to use coinfacts to find coins of my interest and hope I can maybe reach out to the person and throw an offer which I have done numerous times. Coinfacts was full of eye candy and now because they got rid of it I have no use for the app. I uninstalled it now because of the lack of important features. Also I have been buying more NGC and anacs coins since they have got rid of the photos. I have no clue what is out there that may be waiting for me. Sad to say but if they don’t reverse this, I feel this will hurt them.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

This used to be really useful for establishing all kinds of pedigrees, to make grading comparisons and evaluations, a tremendous resource. I was not really aware of the change since I don't research as much as I used to ... but it is still a terrible, terrible loss. The value of being a "CoinFacts Plate Coin" was also considerable ... and I think the loss of that claim to fame will hurt values of some high-grade coins.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not voting until 100% of the precincts from Cook County have been reported...

There is something about transparency that seems have been lost in the decision and the discussion. Further, there are subtle concepts and responsibilities should resonate with collectors: (1) There is a need to know their series and buy within their comfort zone; (2) Grading is subjective and within that framework, some opinions are better that others but even more importantly, opinions can change; and most important (3) Coins are about coins and not the temporary plastic that houses them;

Have fun in the New Order

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad that I'm nearing the end of my collection.
    TPGs were originally created to help the collector...Not the dealer.

• NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate. Useless for me.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

They might as well delete Coin Facts all together now.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked at CoinFacts after reading threads on the changes to same.

I do not like the deletion of photos.

Exhibiting multiple photos of graded coins showing coins of a specific date and mint mark in MS and PF with grades ranging from 1 to 70 was (and is) a fantastic resource for those who desire to evaluate their coins and compare same to others (i.e. for personal education purposes, for personal enjoyment, or for reasons related to money, including whether to submit a specific raw coin for grading [is the quality of the coin good enough to warrant a grade that justifies the expense of submitting same for grading], or whether to submit a specific slabbed coin for a regrade or crossover).

Not having these multiple photos available is very frustrating, I assume for collectors, dealers, investors and TPG's (and their employees).

Unfortunately for our host, the prior version of CoinFacts and the multiple photos exhibited therein, spoiled all of us who utilized same. Having it taken away will cause widespread dissatisfaction among those who are customers of our host. By analogy to public sector benefits, when benefits have been handed out for a long time and they are taken away by Big Brother (i.e. the tax deduction of credit card interest was eliminated decades ago and that caused an uproar at the time; and more recently a cap was placed on the deduction on Federal Income Tax returns of state and local taxes in excess of $10,000.00 and that is causing an uproar) people will complain and complaint loudly. People do like their freebees.

The reason(s) for our host deleting all but three photos of the previously exhibited coins is unknown, though I expect that the reason(s) may be:

1. the cost in dollars, employee time and third party vendor time to ensure the PCGS technology system which hosts CoinFacts has the capacity to store and display the photos is present may be too much of an undertaking (too much work, effort and money with not enough reward to justify same) so that business judgment dictates it not be incurred;

2. the posting of multiple photographs of the same coin being graded at differently levels over time (i.e. gradeflation, or deflation being on display), which may cause some people to scratch their heads and cause discomfort to our host (but hey, everyone knows or should know that the grading of a coin is nothing more than assigning a number reflecting a subjective opinion of a grader or set of graders of the quality of a specific coin on the date that it is graded and that opinions change; nobody should expect that grades are a fact based upon technical, objectively quantifiable and measurable standards); or

3. some other reason related to big picture decisions on how the company is going to conduct operations into the future to proper and grow.

In general, the more information about the hobby that is made available to those who participate in the hobby is a good thing and will help the hobby and those who participate in same survive and thrive. Dissemination of more information should be encourgaged.

The prior version of CoinFacts, with the multiple photos, provided more information to the hobby. The genie has been let out of the bottle, so to say. It cannot be put back into the bottle without negative results.

I would like to see something done to restore multiple photos to CoinFacts. How and under what circumstances that happens is unknown. Doing so in a manner that meets the needs of PCGS, while providing more information to those who participate in the hobby (so the hobby can survive and thrive) is warranted.

I do miss being able to look at the multiple photos of graded coins in the segment of the hobby that I collect in, and in other areas I do not collect in but take pleasure in looking at "Eye Candy".

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is after they see the outcry for the old Coinfacts they will tevert to the old format.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

"All images" was very useful in making buying decisions. I loved being able to see examples of PCGS coins in their TV form; from circ to MS

To me, this was essentially their [leading] grading standard[s].

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 4:37PM

I use Coinfacts for authentication so will check the changes Monday. Until then:

If this is the place where they posted images of 1-3 particular coins they graded.
    and if 95% of those photos are no longer available...

IMHO

This may turn out to be a mistake.

However, it is their company and they make the rules, I use the site daily but I give PCGS nothing in return except to say that a coin in their slab is usually worth more than in any other because most agree they are #1. They are also trying to improve their image to anyone who thinks they are not and that is another +. That's all I'll say

1. They may have done this to save money or web space.
    2. They may have done this so they can charge a fee for use.
    3. They may have done it because they were sick and tired of folks pointing out upgrades to previously graded coins.

If those photos are now gone, there are other options that may be on the net.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinfacts pics basically tonight me to grade other series. Without them I’m less likely to splash out with my buying.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 5:58PM

Needs a “I hate the new coin facts” option. It’s not entirely useless without photos. Extremely diminished for sure

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the new coinfacts, who needs photos (I never look at images)

I use the information more than the photos.
    In soon some cases I use t.he photos but for the most part I use the information !

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

“sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants” as Brandeis put it in a 1913 Harper’s Weekly article, entitled “What Publicity Can Do.”

But it was an image that had been in his mind for decades. Twenty years earlier, he wrote, “about the wickedness of people shielding wrongdoers & passing them off (or at least allowing them to pass themselves off) as honest men.” He then proposed a remedy:
    “If the broad light of day could be let in upon men’s actions, it would purify them as the sun disinfects.”

PCGS- Bring back the pictures please.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is well stated by Sanction II above, and far more cogently, I am sure. thanks for taking the time to create such a well thought out post!

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

However, it is their company and they make the rules, I use the site daily but I give PCGS nothing in return except to say that a coin in their slab is usually worth more than in any other because most agree they are #1. They are also trying to improve their image to anyone who thinks they are not and that is another +. That's all I'll say

1. They may have done this to save money or web space.
    2. They may have done this so they can charge a fee for use.
    3. They may have done it because they were sick and tired of folks pointing out upgrades to previously graded coins.

If those photos are now gone, there are other options that may be on the net.

I agree with the idea that it is "their company and they make the rules"

For your other points, though:

1. Don't see it as a money saver, in the purest sense. HOW would it be saving money? Also, pretty sure the amount of web space it would be saving is inconsequential in the overall magnitude of everything else. Storage is pretty cheap.
    2. Used to charge a fee. They changed that and made it free some years back. Was received with great fanfare when announced.
    3. Likely a big part of the reason. I don't know for certain, but it is certainly very likely.

For me, I really liked using the photos for Coinfacts on toned coins. Loved seeing what PCGS graded so I could learn what to look for. I really liked it on the proof IHCs.

I think maybe some folks, particularly on these forums, were too pumped up when particular coins were brought to attention....claiming "overgraded", "soooo many attempted retries", etc. Not saying they were wrong in their messaging, but the way some went about things was overboard, imho, at times.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

Aside from all the good comments and speculation, to me, the real loss is the ability to do research and identify examples of varieties. Many Coinfacts photos were high-grade examples of rare varieties that are not published elsewhere. These high-resolution photos were critical to identifying the unique characteristics that distinguish the subtle differences between various FS, Wexler, and CONECA varieties.
    This is a serious loss to anyone who does legitimate numismatic research. Many of these varieties are way above the pay grade of the average collector. Without this resource, collectors have no way to verify or compare when learning their specialty. Coinfacts was vital when researching a prospective acquisition or mining an established collection. In addition, counterfeit identification and variety misrepresentation detection will be much more difficult. Coinfacts was a way to acquire knowledge in a collector’s journey to become educated in their specific field of interest.
    The removal of such valuable research material from members seems counter-intuitive to PCGS’s basic mission to maintain high standards, promote, protect, and encourage numismatic interests.
    :(

unus multorum
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to enjoy owning coins that were pictured on Coinfacts. I owned about 15 of them at last count. The pictures are all gone now.

I used Coinfacts images to research other examples of a specific coin before purchasing a coin in a particular grade. Was my prospective purchase up to par with the coins pictured on Coinfacts, or should I wait for a nicer one to come along? I can't tell now.

I probably will not visit the new Coinfacts very often, if at all.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't vote since there was a choice that fit me. I just use Coinfacts to compare coins to pics for help in attribution. So I don't miss all those other pics. Actually I didn't even know about them.

If everybody here likes them....I say put them back. Why do away with a tool that so many like. JMHO

• smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

THE change sucks.. Three pictures of the top graded coins in totally insufficient. I know there were pictures of coins they OVERGRADED (coins with big gashes and dings grading MS68), but as a whole you could get a better idea of how your own coins would grade by comparing them to the multiple photos and grades. The coinfacts pictures were way more useful than the Photograde option. I thought I also noticed that some of the photos did not include the grade, only the cert number. Hope they change it back.

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the op it states useless. Not useless.
    I still use coin facts daily.

I really miss the images; :'(

Very nice to compare my coins to.

Helpful in making purchases.

Very helpful in justifying regrades. (Additional business)

Also just liked looking at all the eye candy. B)

PCGS: please, please bring 'em back!

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 12:34PM

@PTVETTER is a man without a country :D

Way to stand strong, brother!

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sound judgement is more scare than intelligence and experience

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

An invaluable research tool scuttled.

I suspect Mr. Guth is beside himself.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file