Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you love or hate the new CoinFacts with 95% of all photos deleted?

2»

Comments

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hate the new coinfacts, without photos it's useless

I can't believe they are keeping the change. Ugh. Don't you give PCGS the right to use your pictures when you submit your coin? I don't see how it's an issue for them to display them then. I say they should do away with ALL pictures if it really is an issue. Why show any at all if you are afraid of showing them all?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 9:16PM

@jwitten said:
    I can't believe they are keeping the change. Ugh. Don't you give PCGS the right to use your pictures when you submit your coin? I don't see how it's an issue for them to display them then. I say they should do away with ALL pictures if it really is an issue. Why show any at all if you are afraid of showing them all?

I think it's a customer satisfaction issue. As mentioned by Brett, many (90%?) of PCGS members are not members of this forum and may not want photos of their coins online.

It will be interesting to see how this works out, especially as coins change ownership. Perhaps you will need a mobile app to scan an insert to prove you are in possession of it during an authentication process?

I wonder if this means TrueViews will start to be, or have been, removed from Cert Verification as well. If there are fewer photos on cert verification, the issue of counterfeits will grow. Many of the suggestions to handle counterfeits have involved posting photos of all graded coins online, so this is an interesting development.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 10:27PM
    I love the new coinfacts, who needs photos (I never look at images)

Have always used my phone for CF don’t notice any changes - value view? Not sure understand what all fuss is about.

I use CF for pricing, auction data, pop. Like it way it is. CF for me is a buying / pricing tool for running my business. I c enough pics on GC and eBay. Would not want photo files slow process.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

(Old news but can't help thinkjng all this is tied in together)

CoinWeek Staff Reports….

In a sparsely-worded press release issued on the morning of September 19, 2018, Collectors Universe announced the termination of PCGS founder and Collectors Universe President and Chief Operating Officer David Hall effective as of the close of business on September 18.

You can read the entire statement:

David Hall Termination Press Release

Hall’s departure is the latest in a string of high profile personnel changes at Collectors Universe. Earlier this year, the company saw PCGS Vice President Mark Stephenson, PCGS CoinFacts President Ron Guth, and PCGS founder John Dannreuther leave.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Don't you give PCGS the right to use your pictures when you submit your coin? I don't see how it's an issue for them to display them then.

No, you do not give PCGS authority to use your pictures as the images are not yours. The images are created by PCGS of a coin you submitted to PCGS for a service. The images belong to PCGS. The PCGS Grading Terms and Conditions on each submission form indicated that by submitting you acknowledge and agree that PCGS has the right to image your coin and PCGS owns the image. [Section 11, PCGS Grading Terms and Conditions]

Right or wrong, we all agree to this when we submit coins or coins are submitted on our behalf.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

@jwitten said:
    Don't you give PCGS the right to use your pictures when you submit your coin? I don't see how it's an issue for them to display them then.

No, you do not give PCGS authority to use your pictures as the images are not yours. The images are created by PCGS of a coin you submitted to PCGS for a service. The images belong to PCGS. The PCGS Grading Terms and Conditions on each submission form indicated that by submitting you acknowledge and agree that PCGS has the right to image your coin and PCGS owns the image. [Section 11, PCGS Grading Terms and Conditions]

Right or wrong, we all agree to this when we submit coins or coins are submitted on our behalf.

Actually, you basically said what I was trying to say. When you submit your coin, you are saying you acknowledge PCGS owns the pictures and can do with them as they want. Therefore, how can they say it is a concern that they were putting customer pictures online without their permission, because PCGS really owns the pictures. Heck, they should do away with the calendars as well if this is really a concern. Why pick and choose? If you are concerned over privacy, stop showing ALL pictures. Better close the instagram page down as well.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 11:14AM

Another thing, some of the images I checked so far (all?) don't allow them to be blown up to see the detailed die polish.

I guess change happens. I guess we are lucky Coinfacts even exists in any form! :)

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:
    My guess is after they see the outcry for the old Coinfacts they will tevert to the old format.

I I would hope, but I don't brlieve that will happen. Things such as the '58 Franklin are easily cross checked and an embarassment.

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I use Coinfacts for authentication so will check the changes Monday. Until then:

If this is the place where they posted images of 1-3 particular coins they graded.
    and if 95% of those photos are no longer available...

IMHO

This may turn out to be a mistake.

However, it is their company and they make the rules, I use the site daily but I give PCGS nothing in return except to say that a coin in their slab is usually worth more than in any other because most agree they are #1. They are also trying to improve their image to anyone who thinks they are not and that is another +. That's all I'll say

1. They may have done this to save money or web space.
    2. They may have done this so they can charge a fee for use.
    3. They may have done it because they were sick and tired of folks pointing out upgrades to previously graded coins.

If those photos are now gone, there are other options that may be on the net.

I agree and believe the three points you made are all valid. Point #2 imo would be the simplest to remedy. I for one, would have no problem paying for a useful and helpful service,

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will drive more traffic to HA and S/B in search of old images.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    It's not "useless" but definitely a disappointing turn of events.

Exactly. No hate, but really wish they would bring back the pictures!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file