Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Member of Forums and I got scammed, what do we do now?

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aspire-R
    What you posted makes sense. A lot of fragile innocent fawns out there. It’s a shame there is scum like that out there trying to burn our fellow members.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, a couple of hundred dollars isn't huge amounts of money for "tuition" at this school. It could be lots worse. That said, I'd definitely notify local postal service or law enforcement know about the fraud. As others have said, since you used a debit card, you'll likely not get your money back. However, if enough people report, it might rise to the level of raising an eyebrow or two... best of luck, and... PayPal is your friend!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 8:50PM

Let's see what can add that maybe be helpful in the future.....

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    Let's see what can add that maybe be helpful in the future.....

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

JasonGaming....
    Some more good advice....
    DONT EVER use your debt card.

Instead use a credit card.
    That way the next time someone gets into your money, IT'S not your money.....
    The credit card company should make you whole again and has much more resources to go chasing crooks.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s too bad. Really sorry about this situation. I’m just happy it’s $200, vs $2,000. Still, very annoying that there is scum like this, lurking around.

:/

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of good advice on this and other threads. Why won't we heed it?

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B agreed. Loris even offered more coins for another $600 but I knew when to stop, at least.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options

@rte592 I will always keep it in mind, thank you.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry @JasonGaming had a rough go on the BST.

I'm assuming from the handle he is a younger collector although I could be wrong.

The point I would like to make is that we all make mistakes that cost.
    (some claim they don't hehe)

Getting a hit like this early in a collecting career will probably pay dividends later on.

I just recently pulled out a box of modern silver (not ASEs) proof coins I bought on ebay, the bst and at shows over ten years ago.
    Several of the coins now show unattractive spots, some from improper dip.
    I'm not going to blame anyone but myself.
    The lesson I took to heart several years ago was to avoid putting money into modern mint products.

Had I learned that lesson over ten years ago I could have saved hundreds and hundreds (at least - :smile: )

A piece now and again works for me o.k. but I'd never pursue a collection of modern products. It's like tossing money overboard.

Hope I'm not too OT.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try NOT to use your Debit card next time ....... way too much risk straight out of your account.
    Paypal maybe a better shield

I am sorry for your experience and lost ....... a lesson learnt and it could've been worst too :(

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure BOA has online banking. Sign up for this and you can get the ball rolling on the charge back process.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading this thread, and it's not the first time some one was defrauded on the bst. The following comments are appropriate: "If it's to good to be true it probably is."
    Caveat Emptor ... "let the buyer beware," making the buyer responsible for due diligence before making a purchase.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 4:44AM

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@Timbuk3 said:
    I understand your plight, I've been 'burned' on the forum a couple times before !!! :'(

This is not good. For anyone.
    I am beginning to think that perhaps the moderators should place restrictions on new members posting in the BST or attempting to sell items here. Until sufficient evidence of real participation.

Roccout

Buying off BST is, in my humble opinion, the same as answering a Craigslist ad. Eventually, you might have confidence in the person you're dealing with either from personal experience or shared experience. But until that, it's just a leap of faith. And it's not just scams, you've got possible problem coins, unidentified fakes, etc.

Personally, if I were PCGS there would be no BST. It's just asking for trouble. All you need is one person scammed large enough and mad enough and claiming that PCGS failed to screen properly and they will spend more on legal fees than BST is worth in goodwill.

• Options

@BJandTundra said:

Because everyone wants the Big Score. They want to get lucky. They want to be the smartest person in the room. So when they score a deal on a coin, they get bragging rights.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@Timbuk3 said:
    I understand your plight, I've been 'burned' on the forum a couple times before !!! :'(

I am beginning to think that perhaps the moderators should place restrictions on new members posting in the BST or attempting to sell items here. Until sufficient evidence of real participation.

Roccout

Buying off BST is, in my humble opinion, the same as answering a Craigslist ad. Eventually, you might have confidence in the person you're dealing with either from personal experience or shared experience.

Personally, if I were PCGS there would be no BST. It's just asking for trouble. All you need is one person scammed large enough and mad enough and claiming that PCGS failed to screen properly and they will spend more on legal fees than BST is worth in goodwill.

+1

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this.... I have always had good experiences on the BST.... though I have seen here, some bad one's...Not a lot. So yes, check references, ask other members... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post Aspie_Rocco .

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

There are lots of ways of vetting someone selling on the BST forum.

How long have they been a member here?
    Do they post and participate regularly?
    Can they provide references of successful transactions with other current members?
    Google search their ID to see if they show up on other coin boards (lots of members belong to other boards and use the same user ID)?
    If the seller asks for payment in any manner other then paypal or a credit card then I'd pass.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options

@jafo50 I know I avoided many red flags, I have to heed to them next time.

• Options

@Bochiman thank you for the descriptive answer, I’ll get on it.

• Options

For anyone wondering, @jclovescoins is out of town and will not be receiving his package until he gets back on Saturday. He will provide his story then.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BJandTundra said:

Because everyone wants the Big Score. They want to get lucky. They want to be the smartest person in the room. So when they score a deal on a coin, they get bragging rights.

"Sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got."

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is doing a "charge back" an option on a debit card? Mine is linked to Visa, and it's an option for me... but I'm with credit union where I work... just a thought

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Is doing a "charge back" an option on a debit card? Mine is linked to Visa, and it's an option for me... but I'm with credit union where I work... just a thought

Yes it is. It's more difficult than a CREDIT card but it CAN be done.
    I just did one on a scam appliance repair dump.
    I actually had to jump in my car and CHASE the jerk to get a receipt for the wrong part he picked up.
    However, only my having his scrawl on a hasty amateur receipt I made was what got them to reverse it.
    You gotta have SOLID ....proof... of the fraud.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's too bad we don't have foresight.
    It would have been cool to "play" dumb and offer some swell TRADE for his junk.

IF he bit, someone might have gotten an...address. B)

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 8:24AM

@topstuf said:
    It's too bad we don't have foresight.
    It would have been cool to "play" dumb and offer some swell TRADE for his junk.

IF he bit, someone might have gotten an...address. B)

Here you go:

Loris M Ader
    Age 30s

( ) -
    View mobile info

CURRENT ADDRESS
    Xxxxxxx
    NJ 08628

Google/Safari his name & the addy will show up.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to read this. I will only deal with established members on here, I've read enough to take that position at this point.

• Options

@topstuf I do have his possible number and return address from the package...

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

@jafo50 said:
    Another technique that I use is right click on the sellers image and select copy image. I then paste that image into a site named tineye.com which will search the web for any instances of the image that tineye has cataloged. You'll be surprised how many place a particular image has appeared on the web.

I pasted one of the coins that loris88 had for sale and it showed up in 5 different places on the web. Just another tool in your tool bag.

https://tineye.com/search/show_all/869b589bcc154d17e287e015191ce8fde9c1bda8/5f916a103d2a745713fa16d7990b4afcfac44497f425c45321038513a7eb9501/www.ebay.com/1

Thanks for the advice and link. I didn't realize you could do that.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not use a debit card to pay for anything especially with a stranger. No I take that back, do not use a debit card, period. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Do not use a debit card to pay for anything especially with a stranger. No I take that back, do not use a debit card, period. Peace Roy

Agree.....use a cc that gives you cash back for purchases.....

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

The listings had Red Flags all over them!

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 ... more red flags than could be counted ... I have been very successful in BST to date through established members ... not brand new flybys.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest changing your debit card if the numbers had been provided. Do yourself a favor and go to "Jimmy the check cashier" and buy a burn card. Load it up with what your willing to gamble, and use that in the future.

Sorry to hear this happened. Take it as a lesson.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly this is occurred many times over the years with various members. Even more sad is all the warning signs were there and regardless of any enforcement or measures that the host puts in place people will still circumvent them and find a way to pay with cash, from amazingly questionable sources, then come here looking for restitution.
    I see the financially gullible as a necessary part of others being able to benefit from their poor judgment.
    And in the end, with all the advice given on this very long thread, someone will fall prey again and participate thinking they’re clever and getting a deal better than all others.
    But only if they act quickly and pay with cash!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@Kkathyl said:
    I would suggest changing your debit card if the numbers had been provided. Do yourself a favor and go to "Jimmy the check cashier" and buy a burn card. Load it up with what your willing to gamble, and use that in the future.

Sorry to hear this happened. Take it as a lesson.

Zelle handles the transfer, no debit card info is given out.

I would NOT use a burner card. It's same as cash.

A credit card through PayPal prevents the buyer from seeing your CC info, provides cashback (depending on card) and gives you both CC chargeback and/or PayPal chargeback capability. If the seller doesn't want to eat the 3%, tell him where to go OR offer to pay the 3% if you want it badly enough.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Sadly this is occurred many times over the years with various members. Even more sad is all the warning signs were there and regardless of any enforcement or measures that the host puts in place people will still circumvent them and find a way to pay with cash, from amazingly questionable sources, then come here looking for restitution.
    I see the financially gullible as a necessary part of others being able to benefit from their poor judgment.
    And in the end, with all the advice given on this very long thread, someone will fall prey again and participate thinking they’re clever and getting a deal better than all others.
    But only if they act quickly and pay with cash!

+1

Ran into a guy locally. He ONLY buys gold bullion from private sellers. He answers Craigslist ads and classified ads. He claims he had never been burned UNTIL he showed up at a friend's coin shop with a horribly underweight American Gold Eagle (fake). $1300 mistake which, even if it was the only time he got caught, more than makes up for the $50 to $75 per ounce he saved by not using a bullion dealer. [And Lord knows how many other better fakes he still has!]

People would never invest in stocks with people they meet in parking lots or Starbuck's. But wave a coin deal under someone's nose and they show up in a dark alley with a sock full of cash. SMH.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Voice of experience here:
    Me and some others got taken by "bigzestee" (Hi, buddy! Your time is coming. >:) )

I sent checks. Drawn on my BoA account. I went to local PO and they were pretty helpful, we were able to nail down some good info. Contacted my local LE and the LE in the places he played in. No interest there.
    Went to my local BoA branch and spoke to a teller there, They were able to find more pieces and suggested I call the fraud department.
    Long story short, I got every penny back that I wrote a check for.

It cannot hurt to call the fraud dept at whatever financial institution the funds were drafted out of.

Good luck.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Oh WOW we didn't see THAT coming. Like seriously, people? (Insert your favorite roll your eyes emoji here.)

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Discouraging. Not only does the buyer take it in the teeth, but honest sellers find fewer buyers willing to take a chance.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

ouch, I think many of us warned/thought it was fishy this person. I have been ripped off once on here OP. I used a money order, this was after countless wonderful deals on the forums for many years. Honestly now, I stick with members I know or have heard of or have been here a long time. If its a member I don't know or have never heard of or they are new, they are gonna have to send first.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@Timbuk3 said:

Even a scammer can first build a high post count.

Anyone buying on BST should use protective payment methods such as PP. Less protective payment methods should only be used after the seller has first proven himself trustworthy to the buyer.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

I mean, the photos were all ripped from the internet, proclaimed he thought they were "copper coins," and people bought that story thinking they could swing a "great deal."

In addition to the OBVIOUS scam, forum members stepped up to warn others, and you guys STILL went ahead and sent the idiot thief money via a no recourse method?

I have to say it's hard to feel sorry in this case.

• Options

@jclovescoins said:
    I received a package with the same letter sealed in a dirty dollar-store-like envelope inside the Fedex package. It is obvious Loris committed this fraud with full intent.

I am disappointed to see so many forum members disparaging the members that bought from Loris. I cannot speak for the other member that was deceived, but I will tell you that when I had sent payment to him it was NOT as obvious as people are saying. When I sent him $100 plus $8 shipping, it was with the intention to pay him 10% below melt value upon receipt if it turned out that the coins were authentic. He did not believe the $5 gold piece was authentic, but the $2.50 Indian looked authentic to me. I was simply looking to help the guy out. He spoke well via email to me. I sent him $108 via Venmo and paid by credit card so I would at least have credit card protection.

Fast forward 2 hours and he had posted several crazy lots on the forum with numerous stolen pictures, gained additional knowledge of gold coins, and failed to ship the coins and provide a tracking number during the requested time window. His spelling, grammar and diction also went from being professional to uneducated. It was obvious AT THAT POINT that I would not be receiving the coins and that Loris was engaging in fraud. However, you have to wait until you open the package to be 100% sure. He also mailed our packages via Fedex so a claim with USPS would not work. I explained to him that USPS would be cheaper, and he said he would mail USPS but did not. I assume this is to avoid mail fraud charges and claims with the postal inspector.

For me personally, $108 is not worth the time and energy to pursue him legally, but I am confident I will recover the funds via the credit card company. I am also confident that if I decided to pursue him legally, I would be successful.

As "disparaging" goes on this forum, your treatment has been pretty mild.

You know what they call a coin dealer who buys gold 10% below melt...a thief.

You took the right steps to protect yourself. But, you should also be able to see why some people are suggesting that your greed got in the way of good judgment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file