Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on Sac Dollar collecting

What are your opinions on collecting Sacagawea Dollar coins/rolls? I got a wild hair and decided to put together a collection of one P&D roll from each year. After the inital impulse buys, I have stopped to look at the big picture. All thoughts questions and comments are welcome..I am in limbo...do not know if I want to sell the rolls( and the boxed ones) or open the rolls and see what I have, possibly grade some....or just keep going with collecting unopened rolls.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no interest in them, but collect what you like.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sacs, yes. Rolls? To each his own, but I don't understand the reasoning.

I recall there was someone who posted a year or so ago that he ess collecting unopened $250 boxes of Presidential dollar coins. :s

• Options

That link is awesome! Thank you very much. As for the rolls...my idea behind it is the intrigue of the mystery...I have several unopened roll, as well as mint sealed boxes of proof and mint sets, even a sealed $50 bag of nickels. I like to think of my kids or grandkids one day long in the future finding my old relics..and seeing a part of history that not everyone gets to hold.

• Options

But in the same breath, I love to open em up and find the beauties on the inside of the roll!

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all modern dollar coins. (SAC, SBA, Presidential) Better than using so many quarters for getting through the local toll gates.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Dansco with Sacs BU and Proof.... I bought all circulation strikes by the roll or bag and went through and chose the finest. The proofs mostly were slabbed and cracked 69s... I like the look and am keeping up every year.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2018 8:10AM

@Zoins said:
    I have no opinion on the rolls, but there are quite a few Sacagawea errors that look pretty amazing to me. They would be fun to collect. Here are some past pieces from Heritage:

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=sacagawea+error&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515

Here's a CoinFacts image of one:

How does this happen!? I can't see how this dollar could get into the collar of the cent dies without dishing out the coin when it was stuck. No collar I guess, or maybe it is dished out and can't really see from the pictures. Who knows, maybe this happened on its own out of random circumstances at the mint :| Pretty neat $1.01 coin none the less.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:

@Zoins said:
    I have no opinion on the rolls, but there are quite a few Sacagawea errors that look pretty amazing to me. They would be fun to collect. Here are some past pieces from Heritage:

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=sacagawea+error&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515

Here's a CoinFacts image of one:

How does this happen!? I can't see how this dollar could get into the collar of the cent dies without dishing out the coin when it was stuck. No collar I guess. Who knows, maybe this happened on its own out of random circumstances at the mint :| Pretty neat $1.01 coin none the less.

I posted an earlier thread about this coin here with some discussion:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/985903/is-this-a-cheerios-dollar-and-cent#latest

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put away a couple of rolls of Sacs the first year of issue....I like the design and purchased the rolls on a whim...I have wondered, on occasion, if there may be a 'Cheerios' Sac in one of the rolls... but still have not opened them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were a few Cents struck onto NH Quarters,
    and the same on Sac Dollars. There are about
    8 of each known, so I'm assuming that there were
    10 of each made.

Yes, they were made on purpose at the Philly
    Mint, in 2000m, and two known dated 2001.
    A few other combos exist.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion on collecting single coins/rolls of non-error Sac Dollars ... don't. They are just common, ultra-modern coins that few care about.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a site on small dollars. Educational only, nothing for sale. There are a lot of items related to the Sac$ chronicled there that are fun to collect too.
    smalldollars.com

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally do not like the coin and will it never be worth anything.....except for varieties.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) It would be FUN to go thru your rolls ..... looking for a variety errors

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

More inspiring than the SB Anthony to collect. Apparently the etymology of the name has its meaning as "boat launcher": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

I too have a up to current Dansco set with proof and circulation strikes. Problem is (if memory serves me) that the latest ones have edge dates so there is no way to identify by date from album pages without removing the coin. Also we really don't know what she looked like as no known likeness exist. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

• Options

You never know what is in the rolls. I pulled a dramatic "sintered planchet" (I think) coin. It is a starburst pattern rather than evenly colored. The next time I come across it I will take a photo and post.

Also when going through rolls from the mint I found an occasional Sac with a little green slime on it - I assumed that was not an error.

• Options

@MWallace said:
    I have a site on small dollars. Educational only, nothing for sale. There are a lot of items related to the Sac$ chronicled there that are fun to collect too.
    smalldollars.com

Anyone who is remotely interested in small dollars needs to check out this site. It has information that you could never find elsewhere in one place.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look good in an album, assembled. Not so good in rolls, stacked.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the obverse design and subject:

I'm not sure how the metal will hold up over time. It's an unusual alloy and a bit of circulation produces a nasty look (not that many of them will ever circulate):

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Cent on dollar had to be a mint employee doing it on purpose.

The link contains many pieces de caprice, IMO.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any interest in them, but I suppose they might build up an interesting coin album set since the reverse designs keep changing every year. The trouble is the mint places the dates on the edge, which not good for album collecting. I think that the dates on the edge thing is silly, but I guess the mint is always looking for a gimmick.

As for saving them by the roll in the expectation that they might get hot someday, don’t hold your breath. The coins don’t have much a of a collector base now, and given the volume of dreck the mint issues these days, it’s hard pinpoint what might come into favor in the future. It’s not a good sign when series has been out for a while, and very few collectors are excited about it.

The other problem with saving them by the roll is that the alloy from which they are made is unstable. They can spot on you just about as fast as red copper with no warning. Adding environmental risks to numismatic investment collector popularity risk does add up to viable investment vehicle in my opinion.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

No sir, I don't like 'em!

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's a Sac Dollar?

Doug
  • Options

Sacagawea/Native American Dollar

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

"What are your opinions on collecting Sacagawea Dollar coins/rolls? "

Don't pay more than face value. By virtue of inflation, the real value of the coin will continually decrease.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rather than buying rolls, why not buy one of each MS and PR in MS-70 Slabs. If CAC stickers them, add that. This pursuit should take a while to complete and you can have a Registry Set at the end.

IMO, you'll need to wait a long time before a roll of these becomes profitable (when collectors jump into the series) and they may be stained junk by the time the roll is opened.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I really like the design, but not how the metal tones. I might like collecting a set, but I personally would not bother keeping rolls. Open em up, and pick the best, and keep that one.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Rather than buying rolls, why not buy one of each MS and PR in MS-70 Slabs. If CAC stickers them, add that. This pursuit should take a while to complete and you can have a Registry Set at the end.

It's almost like you enjoy watching people lose money on their investments. ;):D

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

I think I paid 90 bucks for a raw 2001 proof when proof sets were high in 2002. Boy was I a nerd. Hope I didn't offend any other nerds out there !

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

MANGANESE!!!

thefinn
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    My opinion on collecting single coins/rolls of non-error Sac Dollars ... don't. They are just common, ultra-modern coins that few care about.

Although I buy and sell mostly "modern" coins, that is, post WW2 or so, I agree that there is not much interest in these coins.
    Many dates you would need to get a 68 or 68+ to make a submission worthwhile.
    If the OP likes them, great!
    But if it were me, I would liquidate the rolls and buy something with some possible upside.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @BryceM “I love the obverse design and subject:..”

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2018 9:28PM

My own approach is to go for individual coins that stand out, instead of quantity.

Here's one of my toners that I just took out to look at again:

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beauty! I have a circ/proof set complete to date. I love the design!

• Options

very very nice! I have decided I will be selling off the ones I have. I am not sure whether I will break open the rolls or sell them intact. One set is still in the mint box, but all the others are still original wrapped from the mint.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@Insider2 said:

It's almost like you enjoy watching people lose money on their investments. ;):D

I thought collectors collect things they love and any return on investment is just gravy

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I love them. I have to put 10 sets together (P&D) in a Dansco album (backorderd at Wizard Coin) for another collector for his kids.
    Kinda wish I'd have kept that Cheerios dollar, but such is life.

• Options

@coastalpride85 said:
    very very nice! I have decided I will be selling off the ones I have. I am not sure whether I will break open the rolls or sell them intact. One set is still in the mint box, but all the others are still original wrapped from the mint.

Hit me up, If you decide to sell.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019 11:01AM

Slabbed or in a Dansko they could look good and you may have fun assembling it. Go for it!
    A couple of years ago I did the Dansko set of silver eagles, regular bullion strikes and had a lot of fun putting that set together...

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin I sold them all off a couple months back, lost a little bit on them but it helped further my other collections.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭

When one could get them at face from the Fed teller window or a bank, I'd get & put away 1 roll each for myself & my sons. But, like the JFK's & Prez $1's (and pending "Inno-bucks"), once they stopped issuing them for circulation I lost interest. Just not worth it. Since I'd already started folders with them, I still try to stay up-to-date with each year's issues of the ATB quarters, JFK's, & Sac's from cut-up Mint sets and trades, but I won't even attempt to start collecting the "Inno-bucks"!

I've also had to come to grips with the reality that my kids will never enjoy the same level of enthusiasm as I do for coins, so is it really worth making them have to deal with lugging around proof sets, rolls, etc of questionable-value numismatics as they progress in life & move around with jobs/family? Maybe for rarities or silver/gold, but everyday clad stuff minted in the hundreds of millions & likely never to see appreciation beyond inflation? (not that I'm into collecting from a profit perspective anyway). That's the question you might also want to ask yourself when you imagine how they'll react after years of lugging stuff around only to find...............?

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm late to this game but compelled to chime in -- for obvious reasons!!

While I like this series, I will admit to not having a Dansco at this time. Putting the date/mm on the edge was definitely a put-off. For several years I picked up Mint roll/box sets of each MM. I sold most of them (still sealed), and some with a nice profit. Even today if you browse the SOLD ebay listings, there are many sealed rolls in the $50+ range.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Sacs, but the only ones I have are the ones in my mint proof sets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file