Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a Cheerios dollar and cent?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 19, 2017 4:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

With all the pairs of 2000 dollars and cents out there, how cool is this one? Just ran across this while searching for Sacagawea dollars.

Comments

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

How on planet earth could that have happened? Child's play at the Mint?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't get my head around this.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe the markers (tail feathers and a polishing area at the bust) are exposed to make the determination for the dollar.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    I don't believe the markers (tail feathers and a polishing area at the bust) are exposed to make the determination for the dollar.

That's my thought as well, but I was wondering if anyone could figure it out, especially the obverse.

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I believe the markers are covered on both sides.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a Cheerios Dollar – these were struck after those pieces were struck

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    It's not a Cheerios Dollar – these were struck after those pieces were struck

How many of the OP's item have you seen?

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Sold for:$35,250.00
    includes Buyer's Premium (BP)

JULY, 2015
    9th-12th
    Thursday-Sunday

photo index.gif

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are about eight known of the Cent struck on to a Sac Dollar, and a proxy the same number of cents struck onto struck New Hampshire quarters. There are also a few other single pieces of a similar nature.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2017 11:37AM

To me it looks like the cent is just laying on top of the dollar. Must just be the image.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

IMO, the image is really good. Look for the different shadowed areas where the rims of the cent appear to "drop into" the dollar.

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    There are about eight known of the Cent struck on to a Sac Dollar, and a proxy the same number of cents struck onto struck New Hampshire quarters. There are also a few other single pieces of a similar nature.

Do you know how these were discovered?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@FredWeinberg said:

I suspect by the mint employee who made them...

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@FredWeinberg said:

They were found under a cabbage in Mrs. Wiggs' Cabbage Patch!
    :)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2017 10:35PM

This is the coin collector version of Disney's 101 dalmatian, 101 denomination. :#

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

My head hurts

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat, but not worth very much to me.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    They were obviously struck on purpose.

When "errors" such as these are, in your words "obviously struck on purpose" can't they be considered up for confiscation by the gov't?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    When "errors" such as these are, in your words "obviously struck on purpose" can't they be considered up for confiscation by the gov't?

Yes.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2017 7:20AM

@MWallace said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes.

Has the government confiscated, or indicated they will confiscate, any of these errors by how they are made?

Or do they go by how they are distributed, e.g. by a Mint employee or found in circulation? This is a reason for my asking how they were discovered.

This was sold in 2015 and if there are a few on Sac dollars and statehood quarters, have any of these been confiscated?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be a genuine thrill to find one of these in circulation.... :o I have no idea where they were found or how they were 'discovered'.... First I have even heard of these. @FredWeinberg.. do you have any details on the backstory? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes.

Has the government confiscated, or indicated they will confiscate, any of these errors by how they are made?

Or do they go by how they are distributed, e.g. by a Mint employee or found in circulation? This is a reason for my asking how they were discovered.

This was sold in 2015 and if there are a few on Sac dollars and statehood quarters, have any of these been confiscated?

As Fred said, "they were obviously struck on purpose". My understanding is that this alone makes them technically illegal to own. Am I wrong?

• Options
    edited August 20, 2017 8:01AM

@MWallace said:

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes.

As Fred said, "they were obviously struck on purpose". My understanding is that this alone makes them technically illegal to own. Am I wrong?

You have a valued, educated opinion but, from my understanding, are not representing the US Government in this instance. We've seen cases where educated opinions and US Goverment opinions/actions don't match. This is why I'm interested in government opinions and actions.

For example, many collectors have the opinion that the 1913 Libery nickels should be illegal to own, but the US Government has not confiscated them. Are the collectors with this opinion wrong?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes.

You have a valued, educated opinion but, from my understanding, are not representing the US Government in this instance . We've seen cases where educated opinions and US Goverment opinions/actions don't match. This is why I'm interested in government opinions and actions.

My memory is not what it used to be, but I seem to remember that the Government checked into confiscating the Sac$/State Quarter mules because they thought they were intentionally struck. Not being able to determine that for sure, they dropped it.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes.

You have a valued, educated opinion but, from my understanding, are not representing the US Government in this instance. We've seen cases where educated opinions and US Goverment opinions/actions don't match. This is why I'm interested in government opinions and actions.

For example, many collectors have the opinion that the 1913 Libery nickels should be illegal to own, but the US Government has not confiscated them. Are the collectors with this opinion wrong?

To answer your edit, are they right?

• Options
    edited August 20, 2017 8:29AM

@MWallace said:

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes.

I don't know. I took one law school class but don't have a law degree. The class was also on product liability, not on ownership of government produced items.

Another similar item is the dime on a nail that was certified by PCGS and sold. To me, the 1913 Liberty nickel, the dime on a nail and this piece all seem legal to own by the US Government allowing the well-publicized sales to go through. On the other hand the 1974-D aluminum cent and 1933 double eagle (other than the Farouk specimen) seem illegal to own, at least in the opinion of government attorneys.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes.

I don't know. I took one law school class but don't have a law degree. The class was also on product liability, not on ownership of government produced items.

Another similar item is the dime on a nail that was certified by PCGS and sold. To me, the 1913 Liberty nickel, the dime on a nail and this piece all seem legal to own by the US Government allowing the well-publicized sales to go through. On the other hand the 1974-D aluminum cent and 1933 double eagle (other than the Farouk specimen) seem illegal to own, at least in the opinion of government attorneys.

I don't know either. I wasn't giving a definitive answer or MY opinion. I was just stating what I understand it to be. The government is very unclear on their stance. Probably more trouble to them then it's worth. Disclosure: I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. :)

• Options

In an ANA Authentication Seminar around 1974, the instructor told the class that any error that appeared to be or had to be made on purpose was not certified as genuine. In several cases, these "made-by-hand-errors" were taken in the back door of the Treasury Department for Mint technicians to examine before an opinion was given.

Since at least the 1980's, all sorts of things are now considered "genuine" that would not have been decades ago.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2017 9:54AM

@Insider2 said:
    In an ANA Authentication Seminar around 1974, the instructor told the class that any error that appeared to be or had to be made on purpose was not certified as genuine. In several cases, these "made-by-hand-errors" were taken in the back door of the Treasury Department for Mint technicians to examine before an opinion was given.

Since at least the 1980's, all sorts of things are now considered "genuine" that would not have been decades ago.

Interesting that these have become Market Acceptable. Wonder what caused the change.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

I don't know either. I wasn't giving a definitive answer or MY opinion. I was just stating what I understand it to be. The government is very unclear on their stance. Probably more trouble to them then it's worth. Disclosure: I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. :)

...but...have you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect those came our of the Mint in the crankcase of the same forklift used to smuggle out the mules.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq I suspect those came our of the Mint in the crankcase of the same forklift used to smuggle out the mules.

Do tell that story!!!!

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Would this not have to be struck with no collar during or after setting up the dies?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2020 6:23PM

Bump

Here's another one of the 8. This one is nice because the last 0 is showing on the dollar. This one also has clear tail feathers and better alignment of the "ONE CENT" and "ONE DOLLAR" denominations.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it odd that PCGS classifies it as a cent instead of a dollar. I would think the metal would dictate what it is.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, I don't consider these errors. Does anyone else?

• Options
    edited June 19, 2020 7:38PM

@JBK said:
    BTW, I don't consider these errors. Does anyone else?

I think if you dive in two levels deep, many don't consider these errors, but if you are doing broad categorization, they often end up as errors because they don't warrant a top level category of their own.

This is similar to how many US Mint struck fantasy coins end up being classified as patterns.

Of course fantasy errors and fantasy patterns could be group together under fantasy coins, if that warranted a top level classification category.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a cent die struck on a struck dollar. As such, I agree with PCGS and it is considered a cent.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    It was a cent die struck on a struck dollar. As such, I agree with PCGS and it is considered a cent.

Wrong planchet, broadstruck?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a thrill to find one though... I did some purchases at the Post Office to get Sacs in change for a while back then.... no luck, just a pile of Sacs... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ate so many cheerios trying to get the dollar. I still have all the Cheerio cents. Depressing to count them and realize just how many boxes of cheerios I ate.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't want that.

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    They were obviously struck on purpose.

Makes them that much cooler to own.

• Options

@fivecents said:
    I ate so many cheerios trying to get the dollar. I still have all the Cheerio cents. Depressing to count them and realize just how many boxes of cheerios I ate.

I think (not sure) a sealed Cheerios cent with packaging in excellent condition is worth about what a box of cereal costs or a little more.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@fivecents said:

I went to a few grocery stores late at night with a hand held metal detector and scanned the boxes. Didn't find any.

That is awesome!

• Options

@JBK said:

@fivecents said:

I think (not sure) a sealed Cheerios cent with packaging in excellent condition is worth about what a box of cereal costs or a little more.

Each Cheeros cent is worth a box of cereal? Man did these go way up in price. yes!! Major score!!

• Options

@coinJP said:

@ms70 said:

@fivecents said:

I went to a few grocery stores late at night with a hand held metal detector and scanned the boxes. Didn't find any.

That is awesome!

Pretty lady friend nurse in Xray at hospital, she knows which cereal box contains what.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file