Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Hydrant said:
    I've tried to take the sound advise that was graciously offered to privatecoincollector and to, "Not concern myself." But I just can't do it. This thing is too big. I like reading all the posts. I think a more diplomatic response to privatecoincollector might have been; "Have your personal opinions but keep them to yourself." Just my opinion.

And.....quiz time. Today is a holiday. Can anybody name it?

Happy New Year!

m

Not even close brother. Long ago and far away September 9 was a day every school kid around here knew and looked forward to because sometimes it meant an extra day or TWO of Summer vacation. By the way.....I take it you're not a native Californian. Hint? Hint? HINT!!!!!!!

I am a native Californian, though haven't lived there in many years, yet paid attention in the fourth grade. Of course, this is back in the 1970's when they actually still taught California history and you built missions out of sugar cubes. September 9, 1850 California was admitted to the union. Admissions Day.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    One great thing about collecting is everyone can do it their own way.

yes its great. Maybe Im a bit too serious here but then spending millions and millions into coins is serious, no ? :)

• Options

If the PR 68 1804 Dollar is still out there next year, I will buy it !!! :smiley:

• Options

@bidask said:

Im still thinking what to collect next if anything, buy I will only publish once its complete. Im excited about the PCGS 64+ Ameri Chain Cent coming up for sale in January, I just still didnt find anything to collect at PCGS registry where it fits in.
    If I had the funds of Hanson, I would go and try to buy the PR 68 1804 Dollar, the 1822 Half Eagle, etc...

these two coins are unbelievable !!!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2018 11:37PM

@privaterarecoincollector said:

@Zoins said:
    One great thing about collecting is everyone can do it their own way.

yes its great. Maybe Im a bit too serious here but then spending millions and millions into coins is serious, no ? :)

It depends on how much one has to spend.

The discussion on collecting approaches here is certainly interesting. Part of it seems like it's to offer advice to Dell Loy while another seems like it's to justify one's own collecting approach. For some reason, it seems like Dell Loy's collection draws out comments like that. It would be interesting if Dell Loy was here to respond.

• Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

A few things:

1. Happy New Year

2. In a previous post I mentioned taking PCGS 'Private". I meant Private AND Non Profit. I would like to see their
      financial statements and see if we can determine how much of the income is from grading. What other business have
      the main profit incentive coming from potentially over grading the product? It seems WRONG. They cannot maintain
      their gross sales or income without grading. There are few NEW coins to grade, except for Moderns which are nowhere
      close to what they were, so the incentive to be too loose with grading is higher than ever. Coins could be imaged and
      only allowed to be sent in twice. Just think how the coin business would change if that would happen. Many people
      would have to earn a "real" living and most would be out of business.
      Regardless of how a person or a grading service would reply to this, they would HAVE to agree that grading is much
      looser than it was 20 years ago. I compare this to automobiles. Years ago before digital odometers, many
      dealers would routinely turn the miles back.
      CAC, like them or not, can prove that grading is far looser. FAR less coins are passing!

3. DLH upgrades. It is obvious that with DLH and most collectors, that early on they did not know what they
      learned later. If he had to start over I believe he would not have purchased many of his
      early coins but waited for better examples. Collectors eventually learn "patience". Coins will
      appear or become available. When I met John A, six months after I started collecting, he told me the
      number one thing to learn is PATIENCE. Sure it is not always easy but it is true. He told me not to buy
      many top CAC Pops as they will be many more of them. Of course for the most part he was right.
      After ten years of CAC that has changed but still relevant.
      Also as someone mentioned, DLH partnering with JB has led to more value buying and passing
      on many coins that are simply too high. They are still buying top coins but are very selective
      when they have to pay perhaps 20% over market.

4. FUN. It means something different to everyone. One would assume that DLH collected something before
      coins. Most people do not all of a sudden collect in such a big way. It is in our blood. My four kids have
      no collecting interests. DLH is having
      Fun! Regardless of what he does or pays he is having FUN! The only way to get enough of what you
      are collecting is to pay the price within reason. Over time most people have done well. Even if you
      purchased slop twenty five years ago you will probably make money. Sure no where near as much as
      if you bought gems.

5. Top Collectors: Laura is correct. There are all kinds of top collectors. I do not see how one person can
      be labeled the best. Having the most does not make someone the best.
      Laura built the top three cent silvers, R has the top Barber Quarters, Bruce has had all
      kids of coins. I have the top PR Seated Dollars (listed). Pogue's coins were great.
      Ball players are similar. You cannot call someone the best. There are different eras
      and times have changed.
      Meaningful? That is subjective. Who cares? We buy, collect, sell and life goes on.
      Museums at times ruin the FUN as the coins cannot be owned by someone.
      Serious? Spending millions might not be serious at all. People pay 30M for a Rothko.
      (large paintings with 1-3 colors) No offense but I believe that to be ludicrous. That is
      art? NO way. But many many MILLIONS.

Currin, JB and others have shown that the collecting of DLH has dramatically changed. It is now quality at
    "fair prices". Very smart.

Keep this message board going. People like it, it brings coin people together and it is interesting to see what DLH
    is buying. It might be good if JB could chime in once a week and list perhaps five new purchased, even if small ones!

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the PR 68 1804 Dollar is still out there next year, I will buy it !!! :smiley:

Talk to Laura before you do

• Options

As you say in ten years time will tell. If DLH continues to upgrade and buy great coins, which he is now doing, then yes.
    If you want to have every coin then buying some sets make sense. Mine, Bruce, and Laura's especially as they are not
    over graded and were the best. . What does the "best" mean? As per Currin, DLH and JB are adding wonderful coins every week. Even if they add 5-10 coins a week, that is a lot of top coins over the next ten years. So if a set of 50 coins has 15 GEMS, that will be amazing. The rest are just "coins". Also, over the next ten years there will be many special opportunities to acquire great coins. Collectors will die, retire, sell etc.

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count Down 28 – Old Southern Gold Quarter Eagle

Only 28 to go… This old gold coin is not of great significance, except it does serve the purpose as one more toward the finish line. As similar coins before, I take this purchase to be a “settle for coin”, with plans to replace in the future. Although it has been said, DLH will not purchase a coin that he does not like. For a highly circulated VF35, the coin does have a nice appearance. The 1841 quarter eagle from the Dahlonega Mint is a rarity in itself. David Akers (1975/88) describes the coin this way: Comparable to the 1840-D and virtually unobtainable in high grades. I have never seen a strictly uncirculated piece and only two or three that would even grade AU. When available, the typical specimen is VF or EF and softly struck. The 1841-D is just as rare as the more highly regarded D mint quarter eagles of the mid-1850's and yet, when offered, it usually brings substantially less. For this reason, I consider this date, along with the 1840-D and 1842-D, to be among the most underrated and undervalued in the series.

1841-D $2.50 VF35 Cert 35458202 PCGS POP 4/43 (Survival 75)

This new addition quarter eagle leaves only three Dahlonega issues to go. The 1841-D $2.50 VF35 is valued at $3750 in the PCGS Price Guide. There is no history that can be found on this coin. There is no reference to purchase. Being this specimen is not a Condition Census specimen; the history of this coin is not noteworthy. The story to tell for this addition is the count toward the Eliasberg Quest. Also, the coin falls short in matching Eliasberg’s coin. His specimen had an estimated grade of AU55. The specimen was purchased by Louis Eliasberg when he acquired the John Clapp collection in 1942. Then, purchased at the Bowers & Ruddy Oct '82 Eliasberg sale by Jack Hancock and Bob Harwell for $2,420.

Provenance: Unknown

1841-D $2.50 VF35

There are 28 remaining coins in the Eliasberg Quest. The 14 coins that are not listed in “complete registry set” are Bold below. Note: DLH was a partner in the purchase of the 1854-S Half Eagle being that he's one DLRC partners, but the next morning after purchasing the coin, DLRC sold the specimen to another buyer.

Top 10
    1870-S Half Dime (Unique Coin in Tom Bender PCGS Registry Collection)
    1873-CC "No Arrows" Dime (Unique Coin in an anonymous collection)
    1870-S Three Dollar Only (Unique Coin owned by the Bass Foundation displayed at the ANA)
    1866 "No Motto" Dollar Proof Only (2 Minted, Unique Private Coin in Simpson Collection)
    1822 Half Eagle (Survival 3, Unique Private Owned Coin in the Pogue Collection)
    1933 Double Eagle (Known Survival 16, Unique Legally Owned Coin - anonymous collection)
    1854-S Half Eagle (Survival 4, Two known in private: 1-The Pogue AU58+; 2- XF45 sold July 2018)
    1798 "Small Eagle" Half Eagle (Survival 7, Only 2 maybe 3 examples could be privately purchased)
    1913 Liberty Head Nickel Proof Only (5 Minted, 3 private owned)
    1885 Trade Dollar Proof Only (Minted known 5)

Next 11
    1838-0 Half Dollar BM Only (Survival 9, six known for private purchase)
    1880 Four Dollar Gold "Stella’s" (Coiled Hair) Proof Only (Survival 8)
    1827 "Original" Quarter Dollar Proof Only (Survival 9)
    1894-S Barber Dime BM Proof Only (Survival 13)
    1841 Quarter Eagle (Survival 12 for regular strikes , 4 for proofs)
    1797 "Large Eagle” Half Eagle (Survival 20)
    1819 Half Eagle (Survival 7 for “No Variety”, 17 for “5D/50” )
    1880 Four Dollar Gold "Stella’s" (Flowing Hair) Proof Only (Survival 24)
    1802 Half Dime (Survival 25)
    1864-S Half Eagle (Survival 32, only 7 known in AU)
    1933 Ten Dollar (Survival 40, rarest issue in series)

Last 7
    1796 “Stars" Quarter Eagle (Survival 40)
    1856-D Quarter Eagle (Survival 50)
    1839 Gobrecht Dollar Proof Only (Survival 60-75)
    1840-D Quarter Eagle (Survival 65)
    1854-D Quarter Eagle (Survival 75)
    1798 Quarter Eagle (Survival 80)
    1846-C Half Eagle (Survival 300)

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2018 5:10PM

@Hydrant said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Hydrant said:
    I've tried to take the sound advise that was graciously offered to privatecoincollector and to, "Not concern myself." But I just can't do it. This thing is too big. I like reading all the posts. I think a more diplomatic response to privatecoincollector might have been; "Have your personal opinions but keep them to yourself." Just my opinion.

Happy New Year!

m

Not even close brother. Long ago and far away September 9 was a day every school kid around here knew and looked forward to because sometimes it meant an extra day or TWO of Summer vacation. By the way.....I take it you're not a native Californian. Hint? Hint? HINT!!!!!!!

The are right about that! Not a native. I did marry Jewish girl and yesterday was the beginning of celebrating their New Year

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@MANOFCOINS said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Talk to Laura before you do

Why?

Because she has an opinion on the condition of the coin that would be pertinent to his desire

• Options
    edited September 11, 2018 8:36AM

@MANOFCOINS said:
    The fact ANY BILLIONAIRE COULD MAKE THE TOP 10 IN 2 YEARS is a joke. If he is still collecting in 15 years then great if not just another flash in pan.

Who are the billionaire flashes in the pan that have made the top 10 in 2 years?

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Hydrant said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Hydrant said:

Happy New Year!

m

The are right about that! Not a native. I did marry Jewish girl and yesterday was the beginning of celebrating their New Year

m

I thought you were joking with the Happy New Year response. The next morning I realized where you were coming from. Stupid me. So.....tell your lovely wife HAPPY NEW YEAR for me. O-Y VEY! What a schmuck am I.

• Options

My comments are almost the same as John F. It has to be FUN and no one is the greatest in most areas.
    John F is buying stamps. Yes stamps. Wisely of course but he is enjoying it!

Yes DLH has done more than most in two years. So what. He had a decent start. He has learned plenty and is now
    constantly improving his holdings like most of us do. He LOVES coins and will continue to buy, but he now seems disciplined and has to find decent value in what he buys as evidenced by him passing on certain coins.

Maybe the 28 coins left are no longer that important. It seems that way. if they appear and are priced ok, perhaps DLH will buy them. Maybe not. People change. Tastes change.
    I never thought I would sell some of my sets. Bruce sold his coveted Dollars! Life goes on.

• Options

@Perfection said:
    My comments are almost the same as John F. It has to be FUN and no one is the greatest in most areas.
    John F is buying stamps. Yes stamps. Wisely of course but he is enjoying it!

Yes DLH has done more than most in two years. So what. He had a decent start. He has learned plenty and is now
    constantly improving his holdings like most of us do. He LOVES coins and will continue to buy, but he now seems disciplined and has to find decent value in what he buys as evidenced by him passing on certain coins.

Maybe the 28 coins left are no longer that important. It seems that way. if they appear and are priced ok, perhaps DLH will buy them. Maybe not. People change. Tastes change.
    I never thought I would sell some of my sets. Bruce sold his coveted Dollars! Life goes on.

Perfection, thats exactly what Im trying to say here, people change, tastes change, you sold, Bruce sold, life goes on, but if DLH changes his taste and sells, the coin market is in trouble for at least a few years.

Im really missing an Eliasberg, Garrett, Norweb, Bass, where collections are built over many decades and generations and off the market. I thought Pogue would be one and then it was not.

• Options

while Im happy of course that Pogue sold !!!

• Options

You cannot predict the future. Look at the stock market. Look at real estate. Ten or so years ago it was crumbling. People
    were over leveraged and many got buried. Now it is red hot in most areas. If DLH sells so be it.
    If he collect for 15 more years, great. Times and technology have also changed. Norweb and the others did not have the internet, many coins shows and much more. It was no where near as easy to assemble a major collections of gem coins. Sure a good amount of DLH's coins are not gems but so MANY are and they are increasing with his knowledge and JB.

• Options

@Perfection said:
    It was no where near as easy to assemble a major collections of gem coins. Sure a good amount of DLH's coins are not gems but so MANY are and they are increasing with his knowledge and JB.

It use to be that a GEM is graded MS65 or better. In the U.S. Coins Complete Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1792-1964) that requires 2821 coins, the set presently shows 1803 are MS65 - MS69. By this simple standard, the set comprises of 64% GEMS, and climbing. If CAC is required to be a GEM, then that could be a different story.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I never would have sold, but for this:

is that a lazy river?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@tradedollarnut said:

is that a lazy river?

Yes

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll bet anyone it would take DLH a lot longer to sell his holdings than it did for him to buy it .

• Options

@Perfection said:
    You cannot predict the future. Look at the stock market. Look at real estate. Ten or so years ago it was crumbling. People
    were over leveraged and many got buried. Now it is red hot in most areas. If DLH sells so be it.
    If he collect for 15 more years, great. Times and technology have also changed. Norweb and the others did not have the internet, many coins shows and much more. It was no where near as easy to assemble a major collections of gem coins. Sure a good amount of DLH's coins are not gems but so MANY are and they are increasing with his knowledge and JB.

maybe you are right and our times are just speeding everything up. I have to know, Im in the internet business...

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

I would have sold for that too. Private homes always are first.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@dmwest said:

@tradedollarnut said:

is that a lazy river?

Yes

I'm imagining the 1794 dollar, 1804 dollar and 1913 nickel circling around the lazy river on inflatable animals

• Options
    specialistspecialist Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found out at LB that Tyrant started serious collecting in 2004. Now HE has one of THE BEST collections EVER.

Simpson started in 2003 and he has one THE BEST collections EVER. BTW, he does absolutely win in the Gold Pattern category. His set of them alone is worth almost $50 MILLION easy. He has several $5 million dollar coins including the 1865 $20 and the 1804 $10-the BEST one!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2018 11:45AM

if DLH changes his taste and sells, the coin market is in trouble for at least a few years.

Oh, wouldn't that be great! He'd sell his gem 1797 half dollar to an affluent collector, who would sell his choice one to someone upgrading their AU, and so on, and a cheap AG would eventually trickle down to someone like me who has wanted one in ANY condition for 44 years now..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2018 12:23PM

@AllCoinsRule said:

I guess a home can be as unique as a coin collection, but the way I see it, lots of people own nice homes, and not a lot people (only 1) can own the finest collections of Seated and Trade Dollars.

Very few people never sell any of their collection (pittman would be one of the few). Whether it is a home or whatever else---there usually is at some point a "but for this". The good news is you can start right back up.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Running a small hotel like that can be riddled with trouble both the staff and the guests. :) I really like the bobsled run but it does not look like it should snow much there.

• Options

What you are all missing, in the upper right corner-is Moneys house-yes the real M$oney -Floyd Maywhether! Keeps his black Rolls out side,, not in the garage

• Options
    edited September 11, 2018 3:57PM

@topstuf said:
    :o

Best one 3....

PR64+ Simpson Specimen
    PR64 King Of Siam
    PR63 Eliasberg/Bass

There is not a dog in this litter

• Options

On the 1804, Simpson has a PR 65 Ultra Cameo-the thing glows in the dark

• Options
    edited September 11, 2018 8:20PM

@specialist said:

Is there a pic?

Should we do a Simpson Watch thread?

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@Zoins said:

@specialist said:

Is there a pic?

Should we do a Simpson Watch thread?

Here you go!

That is an outstanding coin!!

• Options
    edited September 11, 2018 9:08PM

Great coin! Let's use this to start a Simpson thread :)

• Options
    edited September 11, 2018 10:16PM

Number of posts and photos added:

Those are very short threads with very few photos and not a single TrueView.

It would be great to have one thread for all his coins with great photos, like this one for Hansen.

• Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

The Gem Proof 1804 Eagle is one of the greatest individual coins of all time. Must be worth $5mm+. Dream coin for me.

Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2018 10:40PM

There are plenty of photos of Simpson's $1+m coins:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/famous-u-s-coins/collectible-million-dollar-coin-club-coins/publishedset/72273
    I believe these are some of the "wow" coins that @specialist thinks of when she thinks of the "best US collection."

It's a classic quality vs. quantity tradeoff, though.
    This thread is more about the "Eliasberg quest", which is definitely about quantity.
    Though quality is still a factor, with the standard being what Eliasberg had.

This thread also has the "news" aspect.
    Since acquiring one of the remaining 28 or so coins in the Eliasberg complete set will not happen very often,
    the thread is kept active by looking at upgrades that appear frequently on the registry set.

I expect that new updates to the Simpson coins in the $1+m range are an infrequent event, so that collection does not have this "news" aspect.
    This doesn't mean that the coins are not amazing; it just doesn't fit with a forum as well.

It would be great to have one thread for all his coins with great photos, like this one for Hansen.

I'll read it and post in it, if you make it and you add at least one photo and story per week....
    To increase the number of potential coins, it could include include coins Simpson no longer owns,
    like the 1870-s half dime (which has never sold individually for over $1m, but is in the PCGS Price Guide at over $1m).

• Options

@specialist said:
    I found out at LB that Tyrant started serious collecting in 2004. Now HE has one of THE BEST collections EVER.

Simpson started in 2003 and he has one THE BEST collections EVER. BTW, he does absolutely win in the Gold Pattern category. His set of them alone is worth almost $50 MILLION easy. He has several $5 million dollar coins including the 1865 $20 and the 1804 $10-the BEST one!

This is super impressive. From what I heard Tyrant is the one that for sure will never be for sale, not during his lifetime which could be another 50 years. My collection also will not be sold during my life time and my 2 years old already loves them.

• Options
    edited September 11, 2018 10:38PM

@yosclimber said:

@Zoins said:

I'll read it and post in it, if you make it and you add at least one photo and story per week....

I'm hoping @specialist will see this and create a thread. There's much more knowledge of Simpson's collection there!

• Options

here are all of Simpsons coin pictures

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/simpson/imagegallery/26777

• Options

His 1804 Ten is PCGS PR 65+

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@yosclimber said:

@Zoins said:

I'm hoping @specialist will see this and create a thread. There's much more knowledge of Simpson's collection there!

She has the knowledge, but I think she would be more apt to make short comments than to maintain the thread and post photos. I noticed you make several posts per day - how about it? :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file