Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Simpson pattern collection

What can you tell me about it? Another board member told me he suspects the collection compromising of at least 1,500 patterns, definitely an amazing number. Off course, we can not and maybe we should now know about the person who is building this amazing collection. But what else is known? As for patterns, how complete is it? How many of the unique pieces are locked up in this collection?

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    wasnt this brokered by Legend in 2008?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    yeah the 'BIG' deal was brokered by legend, perhaps a friendly, non-invasive email to Laura would get a little bit of information. Of course she won't give away who it is, but perhaps she'll tell more on what it contains?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I know about the big 30 Million+ deal of early 2008. However, there must be much, much more in this collection that was assambled over a longer period of time. For example, the last time the unique 1872 Amazonian Gold set sold at auction in 1990...Or was this also part of the big deal last year?

Dennis
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They bought a ton of patterns from the Lemus collection at fun this year.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>I know about the big 30 Million+ deal of early 2008. However, there must be much, much more in this collection that was assambled over a longer period of time. For example, the last time the unique 1872 Amazonian Gold set sold at auction in 1990...Or was this also part of the big deal last year?

Dennis >>

IIRC he had complete amazonian sets in each metal, but i may be wrong here.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know about the big 30 Million+ deal of early 2008. However, there must be much, much more in this collection that was assambled over a longer period of time. For example, the last time the unique 1872 Amazonian Gold set sold at auction in 1990...Or was this also part of the big deal last year?

The gold set was part of the $30 million purchase. But it is true that Simpson had a good collection of patterns before making the big purchase. In effect, the big purchase was just a nice opportunity to fill some holes in the collection. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller of the deal was pretty smart.

Buy patterns when they are cheap and plentiful.

Publish a book or 2 on patterns, generate some interest.

Sell the patterns for 30 mil. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file