Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:
    Well, it's not his latest, but I really like the look of it.

Great pictures!

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like looking at other peoples pieces, keep 'em coming.

I wish Coupe would show us his Triple Struck nickels. I also wish he'd sell me one.

Off topic, ANACS has a special and they will take DC Coins with this offer. I got 40-43 going in before months end.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

I wish Coupe would show us his Triple Struck nickels. I also wish he'd sell me one.

Off topic, ANACS has a special and they will take DC Coins with this offer. I got 40-43 going in before months end.

I thought ANACS always took DC coins Bull did they change their policy? TYIA

robec nice pics mind posting your lighting bulb or type? Do you tilt the coin's or use any special set ups? TYIA

• drfishdrfish Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭

The specials usually state US coins but they will accept DC medals/overstrikes

@Gluggo said:

@Bullsitter said:

I thought ANACS always took DC coins Bull did they change their policy? TYIA

They do take all DC coins/medals, no policy change. This special is $10 per coin instead of $14 normal fee.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    robec nice pics mind posting your lighting bulb or type? Do you tilt the coin's or use any special set ups? TYIA

@robec Bob does some quality work!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

OH NO! 70 minus. It just got worse. The graders should go out on strike over this. On the other hand, it may generated some revenue for them so I've changed my mind. Way to go. Folks, submit your 69's in hopes they will upgrade to 70 "minus" and fool yourself into thinking it will matter.

I hope ANACS <3 is the first TPGS to use a decimal system. That makes more sense to me. It will speed up that new system to be adopted by everyone.

edited August 2, 2018 1:49PM

@GRANDAM said:
    ICG is currently running a special thru 9/28/18.
    Submit 10 or more coins and pay only $10 ea and they give the MS70 grade to coins that deserve it.

I am getting ready to send in another 12 coins or so of my Dan Carr overstrikes.

Good luck to you !!

Does that Saint have a rim nick at the 6:30 position?

LOL! <3

Actually, it has at least a dozen rim nicks hidden by the insert and you cannot see all the continuous hairlines on the surface or the friction on the high points. That holder is not very attractive either and I hate the fonts on the label!!!

Those guys better get on the ball. It should be in an MS-70 MINUS holder Max! >:)

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks > @Bullsitter said:

@GRANDAM said:
    ICG is currently running a special thru 9/28/18.
    Submit 10 or more coins and pay only $10 ea and they give the MS70 grade to coins that deserve it.

I am getting ready to send in another 12 coins or so of my Dan Carr overstrikes.

Good luck to you !!

Does that Saint have a rim nick at the 6:30 position?

No it does not.

GrandAm :)
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

I know a guy on here that has a triple struck 1965 peace dollar I would like to see it!

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:
    Just arrived today. I’ll get better pics

After minting those I put them all in non-PVC flips and sent them in bulk to LSCC.
    LSCC then distributed them individually. The non-PVC flips have no oils and so they are somewhat brittle.
    It looks like that one busted through the flip during shipping. Obviously, a replacement holder is in order.

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@bigjpst said:
    Just arrived today. I’ll get better pics

After minting those I put them all in non-PVC flips and sent them in bulk to LSCC.
    LSCC then distributed them individually. The non-PVC flips have no oils and so they are somewhat brittle.
    It looks like that one busted through the flip during shipping. Obviously, a replacement holder is in order.

Once again a great job. Wish I had the funds for the set with the gold.

@bigjpst said:
    It’s found it’s new home

What the heck is a "Premier Membership?"

@Insider2 said:

@bigjpst said:
    It’s found it’s new home

What the heck is a "Premier Membership?"

I’m guessing since it’s my membership it’s the lowest level. Haha. But really I believe it’s the name of the medal.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

This is an old photo, but you get an idea of the lights. I use 3 Jansjo LED lights. You can get them at IKEA or Amazon for around $15 each. They are cool to the touch. The light is sort of pin point so you have to diffuse the light head with vellum, tissue, paper, etc. Color temp is around 3000˚K.

I don't tilt the coin, but I do move the lights around. This includes angling the lights to around 45˚ rather than the normal straight down. Sometimes the light angle is even shallower..

Where is the third light?

I'm a member and never heard of these. :(

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

now we know what premier means!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@Insider2 said:

Notices were sent with the renewal I received in December and there were fliers included in at least one Gobrecht journal. I remember reading mention of this being the “first striking” so you may have an opportunity to still order. You may want to contact the LSCC secretary.
    Originally there was no mention of DCarr striking these, only mention of someone else designing. I didn’t realize these were struck at the moonlight mint until I got an email from the LSCC letting members know they were being shipped. Had I known I might have scraped up the $2500+ for the complete set.

Thank you Robec that helps alot. I just picked up 2 of those lights last week. Thank you for sharing. I still have a long way to go.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@GRANDAM said:
    As I understand it ANACS still doesn't give the MS70 grade to the re-strike coins,,,,, only medals.

I am sorry but I sent 6 coins to ANACS once and when I saw those holders I immediately broke the coins out.

Do not like that holder.

I personally like the geometry of the current slanted-top ANACS holders better than all the other grading service holders.
    I've come to really dislike the stacking tabs on PCGS holders because they make it a pain to put slab-protector sleeves over them. The NGC holders are too tall for most of the slab boxes. The ICG holders have the strange narrowing near the label. And all of them are thicker than the ANACS holders which means that the ANACS holders take up less space. I like the ANACS Moonlight Mint and Clark Gruber labels, of course. I don't really like the standard yellow labels, though.

Now if they can just find a different kind of plastic that doesn't shatter when they snap the pieces together. About 1/5 of what I send in have to be reslabbed because of the radiating cracks in the holders.

thefinn
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    Where is the third light?

That is an old photo, before I started using a third light.

Where do you place the third light?

Thanks! I will try this set-up.

edited August 3, 2018 10:17AM

Okay turns out my new camera did not come with the new disc and I am now finally downloading everything. Got online and found some info on tethering and will study up. Robec I see you have a program that is on your computor mind I ask what you use?
    Sorry for the zillion questions. I just got me Adobe photo shop getting ready to load. But if there is a better program out there I am game.

ps I like your set up is obvious you have a good macro lens as your camera sits high. I did manage to do that set up with my macro bellows so there is hope for me.

Love the colors on the mercury dime. Thank you so much for sharing your photo set up!

Also I did read about how the white coin holders make a great diffuser but I did not realize it was cut close. I guess I need to take the sawzaw out do do a bit of cutting! I did fit that sucker right into the light and it fits great. I guess I will have to buy 1 more of them.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@GRANDAM said:
    Where do you place the third light?

The coin being photographed can be seen on the monitor via tethering.

Very nice set up! I would love to have the equipment and ability to take the same quality pictures you do.

nice ones coup!

edited August 3, 2018 11:46AM

@1940coupe said:

@Bullsitter said:

Sorry I dont have A way to take better pictures but would rather spend my money on coins not cameras these were very hard to come by

Send them to me Coupe and I'll take some photos of them for FREE. I swear you'll get 'em back.

Very nice Buffalos, thanks for posting them. That last one is killer !! Which one do you like best?

That coin is a very desirable coin to own ! but Im glad Dan kept at it tell he nailed the perfect peace dollar over strike !

• Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Thank you Coupe! I’m happy to own it!

@Mfriday4962 said:
    Thank you Coupe! I’m happy to own it!

lets see that 1965 triple struck peace dollar

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Product offerings are down to one page. Hyper-vigilante with expectations. What next?

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketArt said:
    Product offerings are down to one page. Hyper-vigilante with expectations. What next?

On a KOTCT forum, last week Dan mentioned that "...this year I think I will produce my own 'Year of the Dog' coin".

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

my infinite overstrike ideas yields an 1834 dollar

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

No party?

1908d liberty quarter eagle?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file