Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Life experiences are the only time you can count on something is when you have it in your hand anything can happen !

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

@GRANDAM said:

@1940coupe said:
    cant wait to find a nice holder for my 1934 Gold Double Eagle when I get it

I will get mine slabbed by ICG.

Over ANACS? Curious as to why.

I am of the opinion that ICG or ANACS slabbing will hurt the value of these coins. Aside from the fact that NGC and PCGS are the only current acceptable grading standards [so what good is that 70 grade anyway] I want original DCarr holder and documentation with mine.

my theory is if pcgs slabs them then I will send them other wise I will keep them in the raw !

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@renman95 said:

@GRANDAM said:

@1940coupe said:

I am of the opinion that ICG or ANACS slabbing will hurt the value of these coins. Aside from the fact that NGC and PCGS are the only current acceptable grading standards [so what good is that 70 grade anyway] I want original DCarr holder and documentation with mine.

You are wrong,,,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather have my D. Carr pieces in ANACS or ICG hoders than the risk of them getting damaged in a flip.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

They will be fine in the non PVC holders until you remove them to play with them. When more Broken Sword Peace Dollars are minted I plan a custom made holder that displays probably 3 or 4 pieces flipped open but still in the original flips. I think they will tone nicely do you think

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mail came yesterday and NO Coins. :s

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the stork I tell you. He still has them in his pouch.:)

I received 2 brass and 2 silver 1934 ST Gaudens,,,,,, no gold. It was a separate order.

Quality is incredible with no visible remains of the original coin. Well done Mr. Carr.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@renman95 said:

@GRANDAM said:

@1940coupe said:

Anacs sends the original flips back to you, so you still have them. Graded pieces regularly sell for more than raw ones.

Ohhhh Geeeez two packages just arrived from Colorado. Ohhhhh Geeeez!!! :p

I love the art work and the coin. But think the border is a bit much.

@grip said:

What is the border just wondering?

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received my Winged Liberty in silver. For a one-man operation (making, shipping, etc) delivery was fast and the piece is beautiful! A friend suggested I have it gold plated! That would be something Mr. Carr could offer but it might conflict with the actual coins struck in gold even though the fineness is on the edge.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a Ghost Denver MM above the date.

I> @coinsarefun said:

Mine came this morning. I'm having a bit of trouble with the color balance but it is a spectacular piece of art in gold.
    Just beautiful. I'm very happy I ordered it and wish I would have gone for 2.

Do they make holders for these?

@Gluggo said:

@grip said:

What is the border just wondering?

The outside rim .

I do wish D.C. included a tracking number with email of shipment. I've been going to the post office each day hoping it would be here, lol.

@Gluggo said:
    Do they make holders for these?

you bought five of those ?

+1

@jwitten said:
    I do wish D.C. included a tracking number with email of shipment. I've been going to the post office each day hoping it would be here, lol.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    They will be fine in the non PVC holders until you remove them to play with them. When more Broken Sword Peace Dollars are minted I plan a custom made holder that displays probably 3 or 4 pieces flipped open but still in the original flips. I think they will tone nicely do you think

Many of Dan's coins develop unsightly tarnish on the edge of the flip that's open. This is true for silver, brass and copper coins. Holdering them solves that problem (if you do so before they tarnish).

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

@felinfoel said:

@fiftysevener said:

Many of Dan's coins develop unsightly tarnish on the edge of the flip that's open. This is true for silver, brass and copper coins. Holdering them solves that problem (if you do so before they tarnish).

Totally agree! I've collected hundreds starting from way back and they will turn if not properly sealed. I've sealed them in the flip and still had them turn, and I store them in the red safety box (or whatever its called) I wish ANACS would 70 the deserving. But I like the angled top so much I'm not switching.

Need something designed and 3D printed?

@66Tbird said:

@felinfoel said:

@fiftysevener said:

Totally agree! I've collected hundreds starting from way back and they will turn if not properly sealed. I've sealed them in the flip and still had them turn, and I store them in the red safety box (or whatever its called) I wish ANACS would 70 the deserving. But I like the angled top so much I'm not switching.

Yes I understand that they will tone as they are exposed to atmosphere but be aware that ANACS and ICG coins must be evaluated by hiding the grade on the holder if one is to consider a fair market value. So Mr. Carr would you consider slabbing equipment for your work ?

edited June 17, 2018 7:38AM

@fiftysevener said:

Yes I understand that they will tone as they are exposed to atmosphere but be aware that ANACS and ICG coins must be evaluated by hiding the grade on the holder if one is to consider a fair market value.

Again, you are wrong.

Some ICG coins may be accurately graded but have not been accepted as equal of NGC and PCGS standards. Having been stung on some ANACS coins I know why they trade for far less money most often. Also consider that CAC will not accept those coins for verification for a variety of reasons. Most likely reason is its a waist of time for them because few would ever sticker.

edited June 17, 2018 7:55AM

.> @fiftysevener said:

Some ICG coins may be accurately graded but have not been accepted as equal of NGC and PCGS standards. Having been stung on some ANACS coins I know why they trade for far less money most often. Also consider that CAC will not accept those coins for verification for a variety of reasons. Most likely reason is its a waist of time for them because few would ever sticker.

I never said ICG was equal to PCGS but since PCGS doesn't grade Dan Carr items I feel they are the best option,,,,,, I do not care for the yellow label slanted top ANACS holder but that is just my preference.

A MS70 coin is the easiest grade to evaluate. Very easy to tell if a MS70 or MS69 is accurately graded.

• Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I personally like the toning...

@Mfriday4962 said:
    I personally like the toning...

was wondering did that tone before are after slabbing ? and if it tone before why wouldn't ANACS fix it before slabbing ?

Dan Carr has posted on here many times how to take care of the toning and has told me through email that it would not effect value if done right

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:
    Dan Carr has posted on here many times how to take care of the toning and has told me through email that it would not effect value if done right

I’ve had to dip about 45 coins including holograms. All came out great

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited June 17, 2018 9:03AM

@coinsarefun said:

Mine came this morning. I'm having a bit of trouble with the color balance but it is a spectacular piece of art in gold.

>

Coinsarefun that looks like a small die crack by the eagles nose.

1040Coupe yes I got 5 but dont worry there are 195 still available! :D:D:D:D:D

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinsarefun that looks like a small die crack by the eagles nose.

>
    No die crack. I saw that after I was finishing with the images. I took a look at the coin and there is nothing there so, it’s an artifact of imaging the coin.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @fiftysevener.

I'm going to guess that you have been "around-the-block" for a few years from the "name" you have picked. I work for ICG at the moment and feel I should comment on your post.

You posted: "Some ICG coins may be accurately graded but have not been accepted as equal of NGC and PCGS standards."

That is unfortunate but you are exactly correct. There are marketing reasons for this so those who know how to grade can find many excellent bargains in ANACS and ICG slabs.

You also posted: "Also consider that CAC will not accept those coins [ANACS & ICG] for verification for a variety of reasons. Most likely reason is its a waist of time for them because few would ever sticker."

You are correct as far as a "variety of reasons;" however, your statement that it would be a waste of time because few would sticker is very regrettably a case of pure, uninformed NONSENSE." I cannot speak for ANACS but JA has his reasons for not stickering ICG coins. They run deep enough that the prospect of creating additional profits for CAC do not matter to him. :( JA has proven to be a very good buisnessman so I'm hoping over the long haul that the present situation will change.

PS I'll look forward to discussing your opinions in the future. :)

JA has indicated in the past that profits are not why he verifies coins. However it does make it easier for him to buy and sell sight unseen. If he doesn't charge for coins that don't sticker, he WOULD be wasting his time wouldn't he ?

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daniel Carr, PCGS, CAC , in the same sentence? What year is this?

Hey, I do have a few dozen to cross.

edited June 17, 2018 10:01AM

Coinsarefun those are some great picture you took. I noticed on my last attempt to take pictures of the gold coins they all came out toooo bright. I had to cut out the lights. Almost a dark shade . Strange ! Any tips?

Hello Bull I like that combination. I got some to send in but not the DC Coins.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Coinsarefun those are some great picture you took. I noticed on my last attempt to take pictures of the gold coins they all came out toooo bright. I had to cut out the lights. Almost a dark shade . Strange ! Any tips?

Gluggo, try PhotoScape.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

Yes, mine was coming out to bright as well. I tried two ways. Cut down on the lighting and keep the lighting but adjust the
    light level on the remote camera software. The remote software came out much better.

Thanks I will try that. Once again seriously great pics!

@coinsarefun said:

Man these are sweet coins. Most recent 'high grade' coins have incredible luster and bloom. I just love his work. And I'll wait for your imaging tutorial to follow. Nice work

@fiftysevener said:

@66Tbird said:

@felinfoel said:

@fiftysevener said:

Yes I understand that they will tone as they are exposed to atmosphere but be aware that ANACS and ICG coins must be evaluated by hiding the grade on the holder if one is to consider a fair market value. So Mr. Carr would you consider slabbing equipment for your work ?

ANACS and ICG may be worth less than ngc and pcgs graded coins, but you can throw this out the window with Carr coins. They are the only ones to grade them, so they bring more than raw.

@Bullsitter said:

@Gluggo said:

Gluggo, try PhotoScape.

I forgot I have photoscape. I use it when I want to take the photo and crop it perfectly round. I will try that next time to adjust the brightness. Thank you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file