Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Glad to see somebody else who's not afraid of the old flips. I bet that of the last 10 72's I've got, 1/2 of them are in the Milt May generation holder.

So many reasons to love this set. A couple of other interesting cards:
    Stan Williams shot at a night game (or at least the stadium lights were on).

George Scott in his bullfrog pose

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 8:10AM

Bold prediction:

The ROI on the Duffy Dyer, Mike Jorgensen, and Tom Timmerman PSA 9s currently going for $202.50 will be very low.

I never should've posted I wanted Bud Harrelson Boyhood - this card gets bid up into the high 100s every time now, if not higher.

The two buyers always bidding must have bought into Bitcoin at $10.

• Options

@bens4778 said:
    Bold prediction:

The ROI on the Duffy Dyer, Mike Jorgensen, and Tom Timmerman PSA 9s currently going for $202.50 will be very low.

I never should've posted I wanted Bud Harrelson Boyhood - this card gets bid up into the high 100s every time now, if not higher.

The two buyers always bidding must have bought into Bitcoin at $10.

It's just a blip on the radar, I got the Jorgensen shown below from 4SC less than two years ago for $75. Eventually it will go for that or less again.

• Options

I put in a significant snipe on that Marichal IA 9 that ended last night, but someone had an infinite proxy bid in. That was the nicest 9 I have ever seen, I was disappointed not to get it.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Lowell Palmer seems to have made a habit of it....

Cool (no pun intended, lol). I noticed the 75 Topps card of his which isn't in the set and came across this page.

http://whentoppshadballs.blogspot.com/2016/02/missing-in-action-1975-lowell-palmer.html

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2018 3:50AM
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:
    Lowell Palmer seems to have made a habit of it....

Cool (no pun intended, lol). I noticed the 75 Topps card of his which isn't in the set and came across this page.

http://whentoppshadballs.blogspot.com/2016/02/missing-in-action-1975-lowell-palmer.html

Yes, making homemade cards seems to be a growing avocation. A lot of times when I search for card images, homemade ones come up even of players with cards that really do exist, like this '71 Seaver....

• Options
    edited March 2, 2018 7:53AM

Finally broke down and paid $100 for this card because it's really nice and the seller would not accept less. Down from selling for $565 in 2009, hard to believe.

• Options

I wish there were a way to see snapshots of the pop report at different times. That would make it easier to compare price decreases with population changes.

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

If you're willing to dig a little in this thread, I know somebody posted pops at varying time frames. Just the low pops however, so the card you're looking for might not be included.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

That was a very nice Marichal IA card... That card has a lot of variation within grade, as lower quality 9s often go for just $75.

I got a nice looking BIN for $127 several months ago, pardon the bad lighting in the photo:

• Options

That one is great! So sick of seeing tilted garbage at premium prices.

• Options

Ed Spiezio PSA 9 at $427.

TAKE MINE!

• Options

@bens4778 said:

TAKE MINE!

Misery loves company. I’ve taken a bath on my share of low pop commons.

• Options
    edited March 6, 2018 10:43AM

I prefer to vastly overpay for star cards (See Pete Rose #559 @ $545; Carlton Fisk RC @ $1000) in fits of impatience.

Gives “Money for Nothing” a new spin.

• Options

@bens4778 said:

TAKE MINE!

With 8 days left. These bidding wars early in the auction are so pointless, unless I guess your goal is to flash your wallet.

• Options

Putting in these huge proxy bids certainly leaves one susceptible to being run up and punishment bids.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2018 6:27AM

Agreed. I suspect the underbidder knows what the high bidder's usual max bid is and is going to make him pay it when he can.

I mean, 1972 Ray Culp PSA 9, that iconic card, was on PSA's front page this week as the card with the most price appreciation.

• Options
    edited March 13, 2018 4:20PM
  • Options

OMG :D

• Options

@manhattanguy said:

After placing the winning proxy bid, this guy increased his bid five times. If anyone had wanted to continue running him up there was evidently plenty of room.

• Options

People are such idiots.

• Options

Great card - I wanted it for sure - but that lower right corner isn’t going to come back a 10.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@manhattanguy said:

After placing the winning proxy bid, this guy increased his bid five times. If anyone had wanted to continue running him up there was evidently plenty of room.

Yet some continue to insist that sniping doesn't save you money.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Snagged the one card I really wanted from the last PWCC. I wish all PSA 9s looked like this!

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Snagged the one card I really wanted from the last PWCC. I wish all PSA 9s looked like this!

That's worth a review, David. Stunning card.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2018 10:03AM

Latest pickups...fantastic examples and 15% off!

• Options
    edited April 3, 2018 10:00AM

More recent pickups...chipping away!

• Options

@lostdart58 said:
    << <i>

EOMint...which cards and in which grade? >>

EOMINT has the #2 set in our registry. He is attempting to complete the entire set in PSA 9 or better............He lacks six cards to accomplish this.....of course there is no Red's rookies card #524 in PSA 9.

the other five cards are: Felipe Alou #263, Hal Mcrae IA #292, Hank Aaron IA #300 Dave Marshall #673 and #94 AL pitching Leaders.

We have discussed this before Arny........you have to pay better attention!!!!

Happy to help.....I have the #3 set and have a few extra marshalls in PSA 9......would trade for 9's that I need

• Options

@Derek07 said:

@lostdart58 said:
    << <i>

EOMint...which cards and in which grade? >>

EOMINT has the #2 set in our registry. He is attempting to complete the entire set in PSA 9 or better............He lacks six cards to accomplish this.....of course there is no Red's rookies card #524 in PSA 9.

the other five cards are: Felipe Alou #263, Hal Mcrae IA #292, Hank Aaron IA #300 Dave Marshall #673 and #94 AL pitching Leaders.

We have discussed this before Arny........you have to pay better attention!!!!

Happy to help.....I have the #3 set and have a few extra marshalls in PSA 9......would trade for 9's that I need

Welcome aboard Derek! Unfortunately the post you’re responding to is from 2005, but please hang around, this thread barely gets any action these days, we need all the participants we can get! And congrats on putting together such a nice set!

• Options

@Derek07 — any thoughts on the current state of affairs for collecting this set in high grade? Would be nice to have some input from another of the top set owners.

• Options

Reading through the old messages in this thread, it really drives home how pops have increased. In 2005 there was no PSA 9 Reds Rookies 524...now there are 20!

• Options

I got some Raw 1972 baseball cards action cards too..between 1972-1978 all togeather I got about 200 what cards/Numbers were you looking for ?

• Options

While we're on it, if anyone wants to sell me a #263 Felipe Alou in PSA 9, I'm interested.

• Options

Why does this thread never get any traction? There are still plenty of people interested in this set. It sure would be fun to have some discussion going on, but I guess I missed that boat 12 years ago. I guess the bright side of that is I didn’t have to pay $500 for a PSA 9 Del Unser, lol.

• Options

I lurk a bit on the forums and always read the updates to this 1972 thread. Maybe I’ll start posting more. I’ve been slowly buying PSA 9s and 10s for the past 8 months and have kept my interest in this set. I think it is a great set at a moderate price point for the higher graded cards (I dream of being able to obtain most of the stars at a PSA 9 or 10, it’s what keeps me going).

The monthly PWCC auctions are also exciting. I choose one or two of the cards to target and put in bids on those. I must admit though that I split my available funds between this set and the 1986 Topps football.

Any particular cards anyone is targeting in the current PWCC auctions? I think the Clemente PSA 9 and Cepeda 10 look nice. Anyway, I almost always get outbid on what I think are fair prices. Any tips on finding good priced and centered PSA 9s? Ebay seems to be filled with many off center 9s for cheaper and ones that are centered for way more the VCP prices.

Cheers!
    Tim

Tim

• Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

I'm a long time lurker also, and have been following this thread since the beginning. I might even have a post or two from the early days. The 72 set was the first set I collected in graded format, and since then I can't shake the bug. My original 72 set was PSA 8, and I built a second one over time in the same grade (still have both). A couple years ago I decided to build a PSA 9 set. I bought two partial PSA 9 sets to get me going, and now I have about 100 to go including many of the tough ones we all are looking for.

I have hundreds of extras in PSA 8 and PSA 9. If anyone is interested in trading send me a PM.

• Options
    1Tone11Tone1 Posts: 38
    edited April 14, 2018 1:34AM

I'm new to this but noticed everybody's graded cards very nice i just picked up my first 1972 baseball cards I'll post some photos in a little bit there not graded but there nice i like the 200 cards i picked up I'm thinking about selling my 1972 cards got them all for 25$ from a real good friend his pops and mom left him a whole bunch of cards like a shed full so i dont know i wanna keep the 1978 cards i got tho

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Why does this thread never get any traction? There are still plenty of people interested in this set. It sure would be fun to have some discussion going on, but I guess I missed that boat 12 years ago. I guess the bright side of that is I didn’t have to pay $500 for a PSA 9 Del Unser, lol.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2018 2:07AM

I almost forgot a couple also I got chrome rookies from 1990s I got 1990 score rookies over 75 I got errors from 40th anniversary topps If anyone is looking for any type of card from 1990s including football rookies Peter Warrick or Aaron Rodgers or just regular 1990s Craig biggio cards comment the number and player and I can look through my cards

• Options
    edited April 15, 2018 5:51PM

A set full of well-priced and centered PSA 9s and 10s takes patience... I have been building this set for 10 years. If you want to build a set fast, other buyers will figure that out, and you will likely pay absolute top dollar for all low pop cards.

You need to wait for a period when there isn’t a “hot” buyer building the set quickly. Last year was a time like that - you can look at VCP and notice that some lower pop cards went for lower than usual prices. Right now there is a hot buyer, so I would wait on the low pop cards until he clears out.

Buy the star cards early, as long-term, they haven’t gone down, only up.

Don’t underestimate 4SC. Yes, they have a fair number of tilted cards in stock. But I’ve found some absolutely brilliant (and surprisingly well-priced) examples on their website, as well.

I did an auction of my doubles recently and was pleasantly surprised by the results. The set is doing pretty well right now, though it’s not crazy like it was in the old days.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2018 7:00AM

Just did my 6-card CC renewal sub. If I don’t have anything important to send in I usually go through my raw 1972 set looking for anything nice I might have overlooked in previous subs.
    It’s pretty much picked through at this point but I did find a couple of hidden gems. Not sure why I didn’t submit the Fox earlier, must have been something about it I didn’t love...

4 1 GEM MINT 10 1972 Topps 129 Charlie Fox Card
    5 1 MINT 9 1972 Topps 762 Wayne Simpson Card

• Options

Great advice on the star cards. I usually go for the higher pop commons of a set first to move myself up on the registry... (Probably not the most sound strategy, but...) I'm also running into the "hot buyer" on almost all of the 10s from PWCC for the past few months. I tried for a nice Killebrew PSA 10 last month that just got too expensive.

Anyway, that's why I have been active on this forum, to keep my patience and interest high for this set. Agreed on 4SC too. I have found some good cards there as well for other sets so I'll keep it in mind. Feel free to PM, if you have any advice that you don't want to blast on the forum.

@Paulmaul nice hits on the submission! I have mine from my last PSA renewal that I need to send in before the end of May. Unfortunately, most of my raw cards are 1980s...

Cheers all!

Tim

• Options

• Options

Someone else thought the Cepeda and Clemente were nice too; and that Lou Brock @ $2304! Four years since one has come up, per VCP.

$636 is also the highest price I recall for a Clemente PSA 9. Strong auction for PWCC all around, with the Munson PSA 9 the only disappointing sale in my opinion.

Did not get the Aaron IA; oh well. I wish I had a little more cash to flash, but not this month.

• Options

Those are pretty nice - the Parker, Jeter and Foster. Hard to tell the condition of the Heap.

• Options

>
    Ill check. My csrds

@bens4778 said:
    While we're on it, if anyone wants to sell me a #263 Felipe Alou in PSA 9, I'm interested.

Let me see if I have it I might have it

• Options
    edited April 17, 2018 9:47AM

Thanks @ manhattanguy Yea I got the Peter Warrick legend (Y2k) Cincinnati card rookie 0019 of 2000 made same with Robert Thomas rookie 240 of 400 made...other football rookies including Aaron Rodgers ,the 1990 edgerrin James Pacific,Joe flacco college rookie,Matt Ryan college rookie,Joe Montana printing error card I got over 120 rookies between baseball and football and to be honest i dont know 1 thing about baseball so if I do post a card guys its because I need info sorry about all those other pics and posts...o yea all my cards for sale ill beat anybody price and soon as I figure out this PayPal i won't do bids just name price and whatever card anybody need just lmk n we will go from there