Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

March 2018 Pickups...LET'S SEE THEM!

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

You, Mike? Besides 63 Fleer?

Thanx for asking Tim.

I'm a baseball board game collector as my true main focus.

I do collect non-electric pinball machines and baseball related gum ball machines.

Many minor "focus" areas like the Quaker cereal 1934 Babe Ruth premiums - in fact I just landed a whale yesterday and will be putting it up - they had 2 Ruth game scorers - the less rare Boston version and the much rarer NY version.

Other minor areas - but I don't post on since it gets very little "love."

Mike
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike...

Do you have Start-o-Matic game boards for baseball and football? I played these games from 1964 to 1972?

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

You, Mike? Besides 63 Fleer?

Thanx for asking Tim.

I'm a baseball board game collector as my true main focus.

I do collect non-electric pinball machines and baseball related gum ball machines.

Many minor "focus" areas like the Quaker cereal 1934 Babe Ruth premiums - in fact I just landed a whale yesterday and will be putting it up - they had 2 Ruth game scorers - the less rare Boston version and the much rarer NY version.

Other minor areas - but I don't post on since it gets very little "love."

Here's mine (with envelope):

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2018 5:19PM

took advantage of the 20% off ebay promo and a best offer option and got this for below what other raw ones are asking. hoping this will be good enough to crossover to a PSA 10.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    edited March 28, 2018 6:00PM

And if you won that Ruth game on eBay yesterday for what I think you did, it's a small world. I nearly put in a double snipe in the closing seconds and said 'Let someone who wants it, instead have it' which oddly never happens in my an auction in bidding in... ;)

Would I have won it? You gluing the wonky pin or what?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited April 10, 2018 10:51AM

I have had a really good run of late with cards I have wanted coming up for sale from reasonable sellers. My good luck continues. This completes the 1935-36 Wheaties run of Lou Gehrig panels and the newly acquired Series 3 is the hardest to come by in my experience. I actually just posted them (in graded form) in another namesake thread but they're going here too - RAW - in honor of the new pickup! IN ORDER. I am overjoyed!

1935 Wheaties - Series 1 - Lou Gehrig (presently 2nd highest graded at SGC 45)

1936 Wheaties - Series 3 - Lou Gehrig (NEW ADDITION)

1936 Wheaties - Series 4 - Lou Gehrig (SGC A)

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    Mike...

Do you have Start-o-Matic game boards for baseball and football? I played these games from 1964 to 1972?

Monte

Hiya Monte

I don't collect SOMs or Tudor electric games.

Mike
  • Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    And if you won that Ruth game on eBay yesterday for what I think you did, it's a small world. I nearly put in a double snipe in the closing seconds and said 'Let someone who wants it, instead have it' which oddly never happens in my an auction in bidding in... ;)

Would I have won it? You gluing the wonky pin or what?

It's not a game Tim - it's a Quaker premium 1934 Babe Ruth scorer. Here's a scan from the auction.

Mike
  • Options

Your Wheaties cards are incredible - great Gehrig run!

That Judge card is off the chart. I don't know your first name?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 - My mistake. There was a very cool little 'game' listed a couple days ago from the 1920/30s called 'Ruth Base Ball'. Looked like a variation of ring toss - 4 pegs as bases.

I have seen the 1934 Quaker Oats Babe Ruth Scorers before. The premiums were the photo card, the scorer, a hat, a membership coin and ... Anything else?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grabbed this one on one of the recent eBay bonus days

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Random end of the month modern HOF pick up. :)

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got these two in today. The Drysdale is an upgrade for my 62 AS subset. The addition of the Stuart Stand-up gets me down to needing three cards to complete my set.

James

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @Stone193 - My mistake. There was a very cool little 'game' listed a couple days ago from the 1920/30s called 'Ruth Base Ball'. Looked like a variation of ring toss - 4 pegs as bases.

I have seen the 1934 Quaker Oats Babe Ruth Scorers before. The premiums were the photo card, the scorer, a hat, a membership coin and ... Anything else?

I have that game Tim.

It's important that people "NOT" over pay for it - should be no more than 50 bucks or so - the game has "nothing" to do with Babe Ruth - just a play on words by a very enterprising entrepreneur.

Mike
  • Options

Hiya Kyle

That's a cool set - and card.

Are you doing it for the set or just golf stuff.

Nice pickup buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just picked these up today . a record and a news wire photo.. the 3rd pic explains the ali photo

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

picked up a few autos this month that I'm excited about, and a 56 Williams as well. Lucked out with the timing of that eBay discount code

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:
    picked up a few autos this month that I'm excited about, and a 56 Williams as well. Lucked out with the timing of that eBay discount code

Nice pickups. Love the Gretzky. Welcome!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I apologize in advance, this will be a double post bc for some reason the original post was flagged for approval and won't show up for probably 2 months. Here are my recent pickups with the ebay discounts:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@prgsdw Those are some great looking pickups. In regards to your stamp,i have the same problem with graded Panini stickers. All you can really do is keep tapping the slab until it gets straightened out inside. You could attempt to have the mylar insert inside replaced with one that is a tighter fit to your stamp with another reholder try but you might just get the same again.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Hiya Kyle

That's a cool set - and card.

Are you doing it for the set or just golf stuff.

Nice pickup buddy.

Thanks! Just the golfers for now.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Stevie Y Rules !!!! super nice bump congrats.
    Love the yankee photos sweet !!!

The 55 Mantle looks nice better than the grade

Congrats to everyone. Some very nice pick ups.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

prgsdw - some nice 1969 football cards you have there.

I was able to upgrade my 1957 Hank Aaron card. Here is my old PSA 3 and my new PSA 5. Unfortunately, I don't have the 1957 Mantle yet or the 1957 Koufax, but I'm watching.

OLD

NEW

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:

I was able to upgrade my 1957 Hank Aaron card. Here is my old PSA 3 and my new PSA 5. Unfortunately, I don't have the 1957 Mantle yet or the 1957 Koufax, but I'm watching.

Yoda, Nice 57 Hank Aaron upgrade. The centering on that is no joke. Hard to find them centered that nicely. Well done.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    @prgsdw Those are some great looking pickups. In regards to your stamp,i have the same problem with graded Panini stickers. All you can really do is keep tapping the slab until it gets straightened out inside. You could attempt to have the mylar insert inside replaced with one that is a tighter fit to your stamp with another reholder try but you might just get the same again.

Thank you. When I opened the package I was a little dumbstruck that it was exactly the same as before but in the new case (it had been in a PSA hologram case that was not scratched, the only reason I tried the reholder was to get the item straighten out). I'll give some gentle taps a try, I'm just concerned about dinging it trying to move it around.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:

Thank you! That new Aaron has great eye appeal, congratulations!

• Options

@prgsdw

Steve I am not quite sure that's been figured out. With thin and undersized items, they move. You can actually attempt to move it yourself by banging the slab against your thigh until it's in the desired position.

• Options

For my Mantle oddball stuff:

Probably 1962 - reference to the movie Safe at Home; this is an 8mm silent film

And something I've been waiting for some time to pick up - the more "scarce" NY cap version of the 1934 Quaker Babe Ruth Scorer premium:

Mike
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! This is nice I'm not the first to post hockey on this page, in fact mine is 7th! I love it, nice pickups boys.

@yoda99 Very Nice upgrade on the AAron.

Picked this up a few weeks back but unfortunately before all the good ebay coupon codes came out. Pop 4 none higher. I decided to try for the box bottoms on my '85 Topps set. While I may be able to pull most of the cards myself, self subbing the box bottoms isn't going to happen.

Kevin

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got these two with the last 15% off promotion. No grade inflation here, real beauties!

• Options

Wow looks awesome David!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

gonna try to complete the rainbow on this and the Best Cuts from 97.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I'm slowly collecting 1972 star cards on a budget. This one really caught my eye for about the cost of two large espressos.

• Options
    justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

PSA orders finally came in last week. Some grades were disappointing, but overall I was happy.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim... Beautiful Walton, that card has so many flaws on it and yours looks really clean. I would consider re subbing to see if you can get a bump.

Nick.... Sweet looking Maz for the grade. It has to have some type of gum / Wax stain on the back to knock the grade down.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Bobby: Thanks. There is the tiniest of wrinkles on the card front below the "R" in Maz's last name. I didn't actually find it until I scanned it and posted it above.

• Options

just picked up a weird baseball game that someone in my apt complex just threw out onto the dumpster.. ill load a pic of it in a bit once camera is done charging

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crossed off another MJ insert from my want list with this purchase.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2018 9:39AM

this is the game , 2 player sears baseball game 1979. the underside of the box is fairly worn out and a few scratches on the right side of the game but otherwise looks nice for my collection

• Options

Beautiful Great One.

Raw scans, as promised. Things on fire...

1936 Wheaties Series 3 - Lou Gehrig

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilmule said:
    Last card for awhile, have to save the rest of the tax returns momma said lol. Been wanting this card for awhile now, and picked it up during the 15% E-bay bucks. Very smooth transaction, with great packaging.

That is a sweet looking Schmidt rookie. Congrats.

• Options

Geez Mike - that's a beauty! I don't have his RC - wish I had when it was more affordable.

Mike
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2018 5:12PM

slimies - that's a righteous handheld Sears game!

To my knowledge, I'm the only BB board game collector here? Down the road I might branch out into the small electronic games of the 70s.

BTW, I didn't right your first name down - I believe you posted it?

Mike