Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

March 2018 Pickups...LET'S SEE THEM!

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm delighted to present my first March pickup. I hemmed and hawed over it for a while but in the end I am happy to say it shipped today and is on it's way.

1936 Goudey Premium "Joe" DiMaggio

aka 1936 Goudey Wide Pen Premium aka 1936 R314

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Not worth much but my first March pickup is a card I really like of Ryne Sandberg.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card sold for $565 in 2009...but it has come back down to earth, so I finally pulled the trigger on this nice one!

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

Hey Wheaties! What’s the back of that joe DiMaggio look like?

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    This card sold for $565 in 2009...but it has come back down to earth, so I finally pulled the trigger on this nice one!

What is the story on the Del Unser as far as it being so expensive?

• Options

Hey Wheaties! What’s the back of that joe DiMaggio look like?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheThrill22 said:

@PaulMaul said:

>

What is the story on the Del Unser as far as it being so expensive?

It's basically just a somewhat notorious low pop common. It's interesting how different commons with similar populations seem to attract more or less interest. This card has 27 9s and 4 10s, with a VCP of around $90. There is a Ray Culp 9 on eBay right now flirting with $300, which has nearly identical population numbers. But then I picked up a really nice Rick Wise IA card last year (similar 9 population, though a few more 10s) for $45. Go figure.

• Options

@Odessafile said:
    Hey Wheaties! What’s the back of that joe DiMaggio look l>

Blank and clean enough - why do you ask?

I'll try to get some scans up by Monday - busy weekend.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I hope this card is as good as it looks. It looks great to me for a 5.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2018 8:07PM

Been looking for the blue one 1/50

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

for $12.00 at value village picked up a complete 1980 topps football set and Bo Jackson RC

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

This arrived on Wednesday, then in the mail to PSA on Thursday. I'm going to be optimistic and hope to have this back before the middle of April (10 Day Sub )

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2018 8:33AM

@BPorter26 Nice MJ! I just grabbed this MJ Playground Nike Poster card last night.

I heard from another Nike Poster card collector here that PSA stopped grading these 5x7 Nike Poster Cards not to long ago. He actually forwarded the email from PSA to me so i could read it myself. Please post your results once you find out if they do still grade them or not. I have about 10 different Jordan Nike Poster cards that i've set aside to send to BGS after hearing PSA stopped accepting these.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I was psyched to pick up the last card I needed to complete the Harvey Martin player basic set in all PSA 10. This was a pop 1 until a few weeks ago, now a pop 3:

I was fortunate to grab a few nice raw Dallas Cowboys cards for my 1963 football set. I love these old jerseys, I wish the NFL would sell these:

I started working on a new player set for an underappreciated Dallas Cowboy that will hopefully be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame soon:

Steve

• Options

Neat collection ...

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been waiting for these two for a good period of time. Well worth the wait. The '87 is a gorgeous piece, love the golden finish. Well done, Topps.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much great stuff!

Really nice Abe.

This is a great shot! Since I'm little - it's about what I would look like next to Shaq.

Mike
  • Options

This came in today with my only and finally Judge auto RC.

Mike
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

My local shop guy just bought a collection and had a bunch of raw '64 Stand Ups so I bought the Killebrew, had about 30 to 40 cards from that set. Never have owned one, love the color. Also had some cool '63 bigger post card like cards, very cool, bought the Koufax. Love all the cards guys. Doug

• Options

Erik,,,, I thought about buying the play ground Jordan you bought, but decided to hold off, great pickup. As far as I know they still grade them. There's a Nike Jordan card on ebay now that was freshly graded, plus if PSA did not grade them I wouldn't be able to fill out a submission form. I would rather have them in a PSA holder then BGS, but that's just me.

I heard from another Nike Poster card collector here that PSA stopped grading these 5x7 Nike Poster Cards not to long ago. He actually forwarded the email from PSA to me so i could read it myself. Please post your results once you find out if they do still grade them or not. I have about 10 different Jordan Nike Poster cards that i've set aside to send to BGS after hearing PSA stopped accepting these.

• Options

@BPorter26 said:
    Erik,,,, I thought about buying the play ground Jordan you bought, but decided to hold off, great pickup. As far as I know they still grade them. There's a Nike Jordan card on ebay now that was freshly graded, plus if PSA did not grade them I wouldn't be able to fill out a submission form. I would rather have them in a PSA holder then BGS, but that's just me.

Thank you for passing on the Playground,that might have been the quickest that i've ever hit the BIN button on any card.
    I'd prefer PSA grading these but the email i read from a CS rep was pretty adamant on not grading them anymore. I was also worried they might not grade all of the Poster cards i submit seeing there are a few not in their Pop report and others where they've only graded one copy total,that Playground is one of them. That one got a PSA 10 and its on ebay now for $3k.
    I'll send PSA an email with pics of the 10 and see what they say. Definitely still post the results on yours though,it looks to be in great condition.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

grabbed these today .. any should get graded?

• Options
    edited March 4, 2018 8:02AM

Future 3rd Baseman and HOF'er :)
    Miguel Andujar on a flip stock 1/5
    I took a flier on this 1/5 for $100.00....if he makes the HOF I'll be a multi multi millionaire ...

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

These cards have actually all been purchased over the last couple years, but I just got them back this morning from a reholder sub with PSA so I am going to count them as March pickups :) . I prefer the new lighthouse flips so for some of the cards in my PC I am willing to pay the money to get them reholdered. I am happy with how all four turned out in their new holders!

Steve
  • Options

@BPorter26
    @erikthredd

You guys inspired me to scoop a few modern beauties!

• Options

@slum22 Nice MJ's! That BMOC is high up my want list.

@1951WheatiesPremium Great choices! I love these Nike Poster cards.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium love these type of cards. Awesome pickup. So it looks like the Nike 5x7 have been answered.

Here's the Jordan that was just graded recently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-85-Nike-Poster-Card-Michael-Jordan-858-HOF-Rookie-RC-PSA-8-NM-MT/263510253674?hash=item3d5a6f606a:g:jbUAAOSw2tFajXTD

• Options

I think the 1983-85 Nike Poster Cards that already have specs are fine.

Oddly, it's the post 85 ones that seem to be of issue - the 'Pop Report' exists but is not 'live' - if you go to the pop report for 'Nike Poster Cards' the only non 83-85 listed is Barry Sanders but if you click 'view set' it has all the ones that have been graded but no totals. I am assuming that means they've 'suspended' grading them.

Whether temporarily or permanently, I can't say. This is just based on my limited exploration.

• Options

@BPorter26 said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium love these type of cards. Awesome pickup. So it looks like the Nike 5x7 have been answered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-85-Nike-Poster-Card-Michael-Jordan-858-HOF-Rookie-RC-PSA-8-NM-MT/263510253674?hash=item3d5a6f606a:g:jbUAAOSw2tFajXTD

its definitely a head scratcher. Here was the exact quote from the CS rep on 11-9-2017 :
    "The PSA research team evaluated the images you provided and they confirmed that we no longer grade the Nike poster cards due to lack of checklist information. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and I hope this information will assist you with future submissions."

I'll take pics of my Jordan Poster cards then send an email to PSA asking about them. Aside from the more common 83-85 cards,PSA has either graded very few of some of my others (Playground(1), High Flying 360(2), Reverse Dunk (1)) and some not at all (Is It The Shoes? & Super jordan)
    I guess we'll have to just wait and see what they say.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

I got these from one of my recent subs....nice additions to my collection...

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

@BPorter26 said:

its definitely a head scratcher. Here was the exact quote from the CS rep on 11-9-2017 :
    "The PSA research team evaluated the images you provided and they confirmed that we no longer grade the Nike poster cards due to lack of checklist information. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and I hope this information will assist you with future submissions."

I'll take pics of my Jordan Poster cards then send an email to PSA asking about them. Aside from the more common 83-85 cards,PSA has either graded very few of some of my others (Playground(1), High Flying 360(2), Reverse Dunk (1)) and some not at all (Is It The Shoes? & Super jordan)
    I guess we'll have to just wait and see what they say.

You could probably use this message board to gather a complete checklist. That's the best way to start. Honestly, it might be as easy as emailing someone @ Nike in the archives or marketing department. It's a modern enough issue where there's going to be a paper trail in the form of an invoice or order form somewhere.

That coupled with a shot of each one would probably be enough to get it done.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium The member here that gave me the info above actually put together a pretty thorough checklist then sent it along with scans of the poster cards he was looking to grade to PSA,that was their response above. I don't think i could really add anything that he didn't after reading the dialogue in the emails about these. I haven't been in a rush to grade them anyways so i'll send an email with pics and see how it goes. Thanks for the insight though.

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

From the Philly Show.

aconte

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium The member here that gave me the info above actually put together a pretty thorough checklist then sent it along with scans of the poster cards he was looking to grade to PSA,that was their response above. I don't think i could really add anything that he didn't after reading the dialogue in the emails about these. I haven't been in a rush to grade them anyways so i'll send an email with pics and see how it goes. Thanks for the insight though.

No prob - just trying to help. Last summer, I wrote a report to get two cards added to a 50+ year old set. It worked.

I think my advice would be to treat it like a TV court case: do some leg work and make it as easy as possible on the jury (PSA) to be like, 'Obviously, this card belongs' when they're done looking over what you've prepared. Again, It may take some calls/emails but a checklist on a Nike letterhead would be pretty good or an archivist willing to get involved.

These were basically the picture on the bin of what was rolled up inside the plastic, correct? Part of the display?

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@erikthredd said:

No prob - just trying to help. Last summer, I wrote a report to get two cards added to a 50+ year old set. It worked.

I think my advice would be to treat it like a TV court case: do some leg work and make it as easy as possible on the jury (PSA) to be like, 'Obviously, this card belongs' when they're done looking over what you've prepared. Again, It may take some calls/emails but a checklist on a Nike letterhead would be pretty good or an archivist willing to get involved.

These were basically the picture on the bin of what was rolled up inside the plastic, correct? Part of the display?

Yup these were basically counter samples showing what the rolled up sealed poster looked like. I only collect the Jordans but that other collector here put together a pretty long checklist of all the sports/players he came across. I think he's got one of the highest ranked registry sets of these nike poster cards. Pretty sure i read a thread saying Nike was contacted with no luck providing a checklist. The confusing thing about these are they went from using thick card stock those first few years then changed the stock twice to then what was basically just poster paper(like whats used on your four above) They eventually switched from 5x7 to 4x6 after 1991-92. It got to be very confusing and with no clear manufacturer's checklist, i can see why there may be issues grading them. I spent a day searching worthpoint just putting together a list of Michael Jordan Nike Poster cards and the total came out to roughly 30+ posters. Those were just old ebay listings that had a pic of the card and who knows how many more there are out there. I like collecting them even if some can't be graded.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

Thanks Eric. When I started looking at collecting MJ inserts, the BMOC was one of the first ones that I decided I would target. It was on the short list along with the Dunk N Go Nuts and the Takeit.Net. I am a little ashamed to admit that I did not really even notice that this one was the rarer Z-Peat version of the BMOC when I was bidding on it.

Steve
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2018 8:08AM

@slum22 said:

@erikthredd said:

Thanks Eric. When I started looking at collecting MJ inserts, the BMOC was one of the first ones that I decided I would target. It was on the short list along with the Dunk N Go Nuts and the Takeit.Net. I am a little ashamed to admit that I did not really even notice that this one was the rarer Z-Peat version of the BMOC when I was bidding on it.

I'm actually not too familiar with the BMOC insert and I admit I missed the Z-peat part as well. I love the Dunk N Go Nuts card too but its pretty much out of my price range. I have a TON of MJ inserts due to arrive in the next day or two so hopefully i'll be posting pics soon.

• Options

UPDATED RAW SCANS

1936 Goudey Premium "Joe" DiMaggio

• Options

Another cool little vintage March grab...

1934 Quaker Oats Babe Ruth Photo Premium
    (with original mailing envelope for good measure)

• Options

@wrestlingcardking

I was out of wrestling by the time Randy Couture was around but that Dusty Rhodes card is great and brings back memories.

Thanks...

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2018 11:48AM

I've been really into OPC baseball, including subbing them for grading, for a while. I am surprised that the 1972 Munson here was able to pull a NM-MT 8 grade with that surface. Great to see one with that nice of centering though! It is much harder to find remotely centered OPC than Topps.

• Options

Terrence - tiny and the pistol !

• Options

I have a bunch of 78Ts Abe - but none that nice.

I like the Dr J card - nice.

Mike