Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

If the obverse color is true, 92 or 94. If not, 55.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see you visit us, Valente!

I picked up a new '99 S PC AU 58 half in an OGH for my Everyman set:

This replaces a PC 58 in my set. What can I say, I like the label (and the coin).

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Living proof we really never “finish” a set. Right Jeff!!!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous Jeff! simply gorgeous (the coin).

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

I picked up a few raw Barber Halves and Quarters last week that look MS- here's an '05 S Half:

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks too nice for a 55 to me.... I'll go 58.

• Options

@valente151 said:

Maybe you'll like this one better. I guess if it rains, it pours! Murphy's Law is applicable here since I found this one not even a week after my previous one (after looking for a good period of time). Ugghhhh. Figures... 1892-P Type 1 Reverse PC58 with True View if you look up: 82640819

• T

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim - Funny how often it works out that way. I'd guess 55 on your first one.

Jeff - Nice 05-S newp.

Pics for this PM, a true rarity, PC53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found 1908-S Half's are hard to find with the look I like. Seems most have been dipped in the nicer midgrades! I received 2 improvers for my sets today! Feel free to guess the grades if you like!

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@valente151 said:

Maybe you'll like this one better.

• T

Yes. Nice coin.

• Options

Darrell-

Both nice looking coins. I'll guess XF 40 and VF35.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:

Jeff - Nice 05-S newp.

Beautiful 13-S!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I have found 1908-S Half's are hard to find with the look I like. Seems most have been dipped in the nicer midgrades! I received 2 improvers for my sets today! Feel free to guess the grades if you like!

40 (too dark)
    35 (yes per Jeff's estimate)

• Options
    edited March 7, 2018 1:13AM

@barberkeys said:

Jeff - Nice 05-S newp.

'13-S is probably tougher than usual in this grade vs. what you might find in BU or extremely worn grades. A little dark but totally natural - great coin Vern.

Tim - Funny how often it works out that way.

The first coin is nice, didn't expect to find one better immediately after! Thanks. Seller estimated a conservative AU 50 on the first one.

I picked up a few raw Barber Halves and Quarters last week that look MS- here's an '05 S Half

Jeff, On that '05-S, I like how there are slight bits of coloring in the lettering areas. GTG? IMO this one will grade out 58... if there is slight rub in the facial area - reverse sure doesn't show that. If not 58, 64? my guess.

• Options

Darrell
    I’m guessing 45 and 35. Tough half in high grade circ. Nice to see you back
    Jim

• Options

We have a winner! In all fairness my pic of the 45 could be better!

@No Headlights said:
    Darrell
    I’m guessing 45 and 35. Tough half in high grade circ. Nice to see you back
    Jim

• Options
    edited March 9, 2018 2:01AM

I'll tell ya, it hasn't been easy trying to get a similar look / color with these nicely worn lower grade specimens into the Raymond. Still working it. Here I am again changing out or adding specimens... showing here the first of the pages. I have delayed cracking out the 3rd party ones to add here but I think I have them all now outside of the big 3.

• Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Nice work. I love the look of the circulated barbers

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

...Haven't had much of an appetite for collecting over the past nine months but have enjoyed the images (as always) on the Thread. The following are PC 58's that I pulled out recently.

Craig

• Options

Craig- those are stunning quarters. Thanks for sharing!

Here's another raw Barber Half I picked up last week, an 1898 S:

It looks like a new one to me (with a little toning). A much better date.

• Options

All I have to say Jeff, is you sure know how to pick 'em. Wow! The '98-S is stellar.

• Options

Craig, I didn't know that baseball season has started already! You already hit three home runs! Nice quarters!!!

• Options

Tim- I agree that Craig's Quarters are absolutely stunning. We'll need to wait and see what our hosts think of my raw newps.....

• Options

Speaking of raw newps coming back... I just got a number of mine. That 1894-S from before? I am dumbfounded it came back in a DETAILS grade... wow. I missed that one. Here is the True View:

• Options

Ouch- sorry about that. The coin looks nice in the TV image.

• Options

Thanks for the kind words. I know we all have "coin stories" ...so when pulling out some old material I came across two old friends picked up years ago at the old Stack's raw. They were in a bundle of four coins (...sold two) at $100 all in. See what you think at $25 each.

MS61 CAC (graded years after purchase!)

MS62 CAC (again, graded years after purchase!)

I will be digging about for the few AU55's that I have which I like better than most 58's that I have searched for.

Craig

• Options

Nice Quarters guys!

• Options

Craig You want to double your money? I'll give you $50 each.

• Options

Jeff - LOL! Maybe if I can pick through your stash @ $50.

Craig

• Options

Craig- I'm good. I LUV your coinz!!

• Options
    edited March 10, 2018 11:19PM

@Labelman87 said:
    Thanks for the kind words. I know we all have "coin stories" ...so when pulling out some old material I came across two old friends picked up years ago at the old Stack's raw. They were in a bundle of four coins (...sold two) at $100 all in. See what you think at $25 each.

MS61 CAC (graded years after purchase!)

MS62 CAC (again, graded years after purchase!)

I will be digging about for the few AU55's that I have which I like better than most 58's that I have searched for.

Craig, by today's standards, you would have some upgrades there. At least I would be interested to see what they might grade by today's standards but not reholder perhaps (not advocating crackout)... GTG's perhaps might be 61 to 62 on the '95 and 64 on the '99 IMO.

• Options

I picked up an upgrade for my Barber Dime set last week- an 1899 O in a PC AU 58 holder:

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I picked up an upgrade for my Barber Dime set last week- an 1899 O in a PC AU 58 holder:

Nice original Barber Dime Jeff. And a tuff date to boot......plus this coin knocked me out of 2nd place in the Everyman set. :/

• Options

Jon-

I may have temporarialy beat your point count, but the quality of the coins in your set eclipse mine.....

• Options

Jeff....been wondering if you bought one of those hacked up AU58 96-O Barber Half's sold in the last Heritage auction.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Jeff....been wondering if you bought one of those hacked up AU58 96-O Barber Half's sold in the last Heritage auction.

Nope, still have the 55 I bought from you in my set. It's a REALLY tough date.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

Nope, still have the 55 I bought from you in my set. It's a REALLY tough date.

Jeff
    Couldn’t agree with you more. 96-O and 97-O are the kings in high grade circ. Very tough with a look you want. Most overrated is the 04-S imo.

• Options

IMHO PCGS just screwed all of us that paid 5 figures for our 58's! Neither of the 96-O's that just sold should never of graded 58! What say you guys???

• Options

Both coins were underwhelming. But I didn’t consider them hugely overgraded, just unattractive. I think the right 96-O will still command top dollar. JMHO

• Options

Both of those 96-O's have what I consider way too big hacks in the primal focus area of the coin to ever warrant a 58! I see the 1st 1 as a 53 and the 2nd as a 55 simply because of the wonderful toning. I can't believe I had started making financial arrangements to go after those 2 without enlarging the pictures! I loved the arms length look of the 2nd one! and was going to watch the 1st incase it fell through the cracks. I wish someone had been around to get a picture of my face when I enlarged the pictures!

@No Headlights said:
    Both coins were underwhelming. But I didn’t consider them hugely overgraded, just unattractive. I think the right 96-O will still command top dollar. JMHO

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2018 10:17AM

I've been out of the "Barbers only" collecting game for quite a while, but I've been noticing that most of the images of AU and MS coins that have been posted lately in this thread are examples with little to no toning or with mottled toning. Is that what's popular now? When I left this segment of the hobby it seemed to me like attractive toning was king and coins with little to no toning were essentially ignored, and coins with splotchy toning were shunned. Maybe I'm generalizing a little in that observation. I'm just curious about what I perceive to be a shift in trends. I'd like to hear if any else has noticed this, and I'm also curious about what each of you individually prefers your Barbers to look like. Does appearance matter, or does grade win the day?

Not trying to disparage anyone or their coins. I'm just honestly curious about what seems to be a paradigm shift.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

@BarberFanatic said:
    I've been out of the "Barbers only" collecting game for quite a while, but I've been noticing that most of the images of AU and MS coins that have been posted lately in this thread are examples with little to no toning or with mottled toning. Is that what's popular now? When I left this segment of the hobby it seemed to me like attractive toning was king and coins with little to no toning were essentially ignored, and coins with splotchy toning were shunned. Maybe I'm generalizing a little in that observation. I'm just curious about what I perceive to be a shift in trends. I'd like to hear if any else has noticed this, and I'm also curious about what each of you individually prefers your Barbers to look like. Does appearance matter, or does grade win the day?

Not trying to disparage anyone or their coins. I'm just honestly curious about what seems to be a paradigm shift.

No, I don't think the optimal look has changed, I think what you're seeing is what we can find/ afford. All the pretty girls seem to have been taken. But occasionally a nice one hits the market and we grab it:

• Options

@BarberFanatic said:

I am convinced that original problem free coins will command a substantial premium in the future. Some evidence of it already. I believe most of these coins have already been slabbed. 

There also seems to be a tightening of standards by the services, especially concerning toned coins. AT coins are out of control imho. Past time to correct that situation.
    I personally love the look of an original coin. What’s everyone else think?
    Jim

• Options

Well, most of my Barbers look pretty original. Like the day they were minted. Without the toning. I still like them.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2018 7:08PM

Tightening Standards? This is directed at you and @Barberfanatic! They are throwing tough standards at some and giving gifts to others! I bought 2 coins I wouldn't usually buy at the last show to help show not every coin is equal in plastic!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302661339471

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302661334553

@No Headlights said:

@BarberFanatic said:

I am convinced that original problem free coins will command a substantial premium in the future. Some evidence of it already. I believe most of these coins have already been slabbed. 

There also seems to be a tightening of standards by the services, especially concerning toned coins. AT coins are out of control imho. Past time to correct that situation.
    I personally love the look of an original coin. What’s everyone else think?
    Jim

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:

I'm putting together a set of Barber dimes in AU, and I love toning. Granted, in order to pass muster for the set a true 'keeper' has to possess other attributes as well (a good strike, no distracting marks, not overly toned, etc.), but some nice album, natural or, when such specimens can be found, rainbow toning can transform an old dime into a work of art.

That said, I haven't passed up on a crisp, eye-catching original specimen (or even, on occasion, an exceptional white-ish coin). In some cases, that has been out of necessity (or impatience) since, as others have observed, nicely-toned examples are typically either in long-term quarantine or are prohibitively expensive. I'm only two years into the journey so we'll see how it goes, but in my limited experience it seems that beautiful coins speak for themselves, no matter what category into which they technically fit. Still, when I'm lucky enough to be given the option, I'll go with the toned specimen. If there is a trend away from those coins, that's great news!

IMHO, toning that occurs over time is perfectly natural and not at odds with a 'natural' look. If anything, toning is a natural part of that particular coin's individual evolution on its way to becoming a small pile of blackened dust. To me, it adds to each coin's back story. May as well have some fun along the way...

• Options
    edited March 13, 2018 3:49AM

For me, like Jeff mentioned, its grabbing what you can. Turning in raw finds on occasion for TPG is part of that process. Then there are what I think grading service imperfections. Like that '94-S 25c I thought was a 55 straight grade now needing reconsideration to a '12-S 10c that came back 58 (one of your straight white not as nicely toned surprises). Here is a pic:

(Paid $23.08 not including grading fees for this coin)

Intent is not to ruin others pops. Material like many of you have doesn't come outside of Barber friend cliques, expensive coin show travel, or larger pools of funds available. Put yourself in my shoes... how does one play the game without access to those awesome toned coins I may never see? I think highly of all of you and am humbled of your great collections. My hope is to find some enjoyment too and not become too disgruntled if I can't afford a nicked up unworthy '96-O half in 58.

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2018 3:45AM

I tend to only collect barbers in VF just because I love the look. 95% of the coins I have in the set(s) have this same look. Although I had taken a break, it also means that even when I'm searching, I'm not buying too many.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file