Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another reason I hate ebayers, edit my humbled response near end of post.

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 23, 2018 7:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I used a old listing and forgot to change, but really they thought it was a proof?

Comments

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

EEEK........things happen.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2018 3:50PM

@coinpalice said:
    so they think they can buy a proof indian cent for 85 dollars? it says ms-62 on the slab. they are either dumb or trying to get out of the purchase

Actually thats how I responded, told just return dont make up stupid excuses. Being not able to work at my store or drive or #$5@ , I get a little grumpy in my answers. >:)

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Looks like it said proof in the description. Mistakes happen but "technically" it's a case of item not as described.

Ebay will certainly say exactly that. I would also be careful how you respond to your buyers, getting grumpy with them for your mistake is almost certain to lead to a negative feedback.

They can't leave it if they return, and really one negative i can live with. But thanks for the Advice.

• Options
    edited February 22, 2018 4:18PM
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018 5:45PM

-

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the reason for my most recent automatic eBay approved return (I offer 30 day return to get discount) on a 99 cent start auction...

Reason for return Just didn't like it

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is a discrepancy I always ask the seller to clarify. Plus the photo clearly shows what's for sale.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a seller you're at fault. I would have just told the buyer it was just a listing error due to this or that and told him if he returned the coin that's perfectly understandable. I'd also tell him that the price paid was fair for the coin as it is. Let him choose.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

"Another reason I hate ebayers"

So, why do you sell on eBay then?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you need another reason ? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

I am an "ebayer". Do you hate me too?

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smittys said:

@coinpalice said:
    so they think they can buy a proof indian cent for 85 dollars? it says ms-62 on the slab. they are either dumb or trying to get out of the purchase

Actually thats how I responded, told just return dont make up stupid excuses. Being not able to work at my store or drive or #$5@ , I get a little grumpy in my answers. >:)

Pretty lousy response as you made the error. Bidders don't always examine the whole listing when they bid. He seemed civil...you did not.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018 7:16PM

If the photo and text description conflict, I send a message to the seller.
    Usually they respond and correct it.
    [I do not do this for "Item in the wrong category" - I figure the seller may have done this deliberately.]

The buyer could have done this, but apparently was greedy and hoping to get a proof for a lower price.
    It's still the seller's responsibility for a listing error.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy ! “Have fun “ , they said. What’s the problem ? There are games and gamers. And there are errors, and we have to own up to our own.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    His email to you was respectful. I don't see the point of sending a rude response. JMHO.

Agreed!!!!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

You made a mistake. Buyer was courteous in their request to return it. You were kinda a butt in your response back to them. Yes, they can leave you a negative after a return. Deserved? I can see the argument.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018 11:21PM

Buyer has the right to question the discrepancy no matter how un-informed/educated buyer might be as a collector. You failed to double check before you listed and as well failing to be as courteous due to your own mistake. I should say I hate this type of eBayer too.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ich Bin Eine Berliner.

I'm staying out of this.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

You buy and sell on eBay, usually give others feedback of "S," and clearly have disdain for the eBay experience. Maybe you should choose a different venue...

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sell a little on the bay. When I list something I always check it after listing looking for mistakes I may have made in the listing.
    I know some Richard Head will come along and give me grief if I don't.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drei3ree said:
    You buy and sell on eBay, usually give others feedback of "S," and clearly have disdain for the eBay experience. Maybe you should choose a different venue...

Sometimes it's a capital S and sometimes it's a small s, so there is variety to the feedback.

In all fairness, it's not easy typing out full words on the keyboard. I know because I've tried to do it.

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2018 8:43AM

:D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to teach the world to sing
    In perfect harmony
    I'd like to hold it in my arms
    And keep it company.........Yep....now I am mellow..... I think I will go to ebay now.... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭

And on a more serious note... Yeah, they are probably gaming the system trying to get something for nothing. It sucks, but by arguing, all you're doing is guaranteeing the neg.

Accept the return, block them, and move on. I'm not sure the $6 in round-trip postage is worth getting stressed about.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaleElf said:
    Got it. I will make sure not to buy from christyscoins.

They had a lot of coins listed that were far too pricy for what they were. I didn't agree with some raw and slabbed grades. The guy was kind of an ass. Do they post here?

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2018 9:48AM

When you view Ebay items from a normal desktop view the item specifics aren't very prominent. An increasing number of ebayers are using mobile devices and apps and see ebay listings in a very different way. Lately I've been getting more and more questions about items and what they're asking about is clearly listed in the description. The problem is the mobile or app version of what ebay shows them is a very different view, with item specifics very prominently displayed and no description displayed by default. You actually have to click on an area to show the description and it's not very obvious that you can do that.
    Here is what the OP's item looks like in a mobile browser. The item specifics are very prominently displayed and are much more likely to cause confusion if they're incorrect.
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/1890-Indian-Head-Cent-ANACS-MS62RB-Nice-Sharp/152898208896
    Edited to add that the link is a mobile link and switches to the desktop version when viewed in that mode. If viewed with mobile it looks very different than in desktop mode,

• Options

@Azurescens said:

@PaleElf said:

They had a lot of coins listed that were far too pricy for what they were. I didn't agree with some raw and slabbed grades. The guy was kind of an ass. Do they post here?

lol it's me, ps no real excuse other than i'm mad at myself due to not being able to work.
    l would like to know the overpriced coins in your option, and which coins slab you don't agree with grade. Thank you.
    Lesson learned, I have been selling on eBay since 1996 and have had 3 negatives in all those years, two were from a guy who BIN a wrongly listed coin, that was listed at 10% of it's value.
    Being depressed doesn't help. I take all criticism here.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

@PaleElf said:

The Original Poster is christyscoins!

• Options

Oh lol I'm just breaking your stones I know it's you, haha. Happy Friday.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2018 8:03AM

And I'm sorry about your depression I was just making a joke since it's obviously you.. I hope you feel better.. I suffer manic depression and man it sucks. Add situational in tough times and it's all-around a bad day.

Tbh though we talked once over a coin people went way over on last minute. I think once some coins hit a new threshold, other bidders think it's a better grade or they're missing something, like a rarity or better grade.. and if others start to think this they begin to overpay, then a few out of fear of losing it and thinking next time it rolls around it'll be more etc..

I do really hope you feel better dude. I'm sorry bad timing on my part. =(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file