Home Sports Talk

Do you start Nick Foles or Carson Wentz next season?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget loyalty to the injured player...forget appreciation of the guy that got you the ring.

Football decision only, which of the two QB's would you start if you want to win another Super Bowl in Philly?

I vote Foles. He was exponentially better than a game manager on a defense oriented team.

If Wentz was not inured, Brady would be preparing for parade number 6.

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade a 3rd round pick for alex smith and let them both go ?

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wentz is their QB for years to come. If Foles doesn't want to be a solid backup he deserves to be traded to a team that will give him the opportunity to compete for the starting job. I think the Eagles could get a fairly decent draft pick for him.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

Wentz IMO beats Brady by 14-21 points instead of Foles 8....... he scores more points with his arm and legs....that doesnt diminish Foles job..... moreover with Wentz...Philly isn't an underdog to begin with....but favored in the Super Bowl. Wentz hands down.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Forget loyalty to the injured player...forget appreciation of the guy that got you the ring.

Football decision only, which of the two QB's would you start if you want to win another Super Bowl in Philly?

I vote Foles. He was exponentially better than a game manager on a defense oriented team.

If Wentz was not inured, Brady would be preparing for parade number 6.

Lemme think about this for a trillionth of a second.....Wentz

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a complex question that probably is decided late in training camp based on one thing, and one thing only: what is the physical readiness of Wentz and how mobile will he be?? unless he is still recovering and not able to give 100% you go with Wentz, after all, he's the guy that got them to the party. Foles played fantastic in his time as starter but Wentz is the starter.

I would be sitting down with both men individually and getting everyone on the same page and if there's a problem get it figured out before the start of mini-camp.

@keets said:
    this is a complex question that probably is decided late in training camp based on one thing, and one thing only: what is the physical readiness of Wentz and how mobile will he be?? unless he is still recovering and not able to give 100% you go with Wentz, after all, he's the guy that got them to the party. Foles played fantastic in his time as starter but Wentz is the starter.

I would be sitting down with both men individually and getting everyone on the same page and if there's a problem get it figured out before the start of mini-camp.

At this point, from what I've read, it's close to 100% that Wentz will be ready for the coming season opener.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wentz and not even a debate

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

This.....not even a question.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    Wentz IMO beats Brady by 14-21 points instead of Foles 8....... he scores more points with his arm and legs....that doesnt diminish Foles job..... moreover with Wentz...Philly isn't an underdog to begin with....but favored in the Super Bowl. Wentz hands down.

So Philly would score 55 points with Wentz vs 41 with Foles? Or would Wentz play defense and hold Brady back?

@Coinstartled said:

@Odessafile said:

So Philly would score 55 points with Wentz vs 41 with Foles? Or would Wentz play defense and hold Brady back?

You need to let-it-go! Wentz is their starter for the future. Foles came in and did a good job. He can stay and be the backup or go somewhere else or retire.

The only reason Philly won was due to the 2 questionable TD calls and the fumble. Brady is better than both Wentz and Foles........Period!

two things:
    --- if Wentz is already close to 100% then this is a non-question.
    --- since Philly scored on all but two possessions(one punt and one fluke interception that was almost a TD) it is hard to imagine that a Wentz-led offense would have scored more points.

@Coinstartled YES, Wentz would pulverize that lousy NE defense....absolutely.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    @Coinstartled YES, Wentz would pulverize that lousy NE defense....absolutely.

You're assuming Philly still wins with a QB that was on IR like its a foregone conclusion when its not.
    What if NE had their best defensive player In Dont'a Hightower?
    What if NE played their best CB in Malcolm Butler?
    What if NE had their two best WRs in Julian Edelman or Brandin Cooks not hurt?

The "what if" game is fun but its no guarantee Philly wins with Wentz.

when if's and but's are candy and nuts every day will be Christmas.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely ridiculous question, Foles played great against a very bad Pats Defense in the biggest game of his life, he will not do this again. Wentz is far and away a much better QB.

edited February 6, 2018 5:27PM

:D:D the boys at deadspin made some predictions about the eagles how did they turn out?

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-philadelphia-eagles-1797746673

For those without time to read it Spoiler alert! its 100% wrong

@Coinstartled said:

@Odessafile said:

Wentz is so good that the NFL would add a 5th quarter to the game so Philly could squeeze in 2 more drives

@bronco2078 said:
    :D:D the boys at deadspin made some predictions about the eagles how did they turn out?

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-philadelphia-eagles-1797746673

For those without time to read it Spoiler alert! its 100% wrong

I don't mind a good zinger. That's half the fun of sports talk. But then again i'm in a good mood because the Eagles just won the Super Bowl. ;)

I'll have to admit the below comment on that website was funny. Of course I had to bleep it out a bit to post it here. It's not bleeped out there.

Bill:

The first two words any Eagles fan learns as a kid are “cautiously optimistic.” The next six are “YOU FING AH* PIECE OF S*”

It might be hard to hold on to both . Denver needs a QB maybe the Don should try to get Foles.

Prediction Foles to Denver , Denver Broncos winner of super bowl 50-whatever

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Agreed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Odessafile said:

Wentz is so good that the NFL would add a 5th quarter to the game so Philly could squeeze in 2 more drives

Another 30 seconds and NE may have won.

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Odessafile said:

Another 30 seconds and NE may have won.

Yea...and I've read where if that six mile wide asteroid which struck the Yucatan Peninsula and extinguished the dinosaurs and allowed mammals such as us to evolve, would had struck another 30 seconds later and just hit in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, causing much flood devastation but not a "nuclear winter" type effect of hurling ash into the air and blocking out the sunlight for a number of years, which means the dinosaurs would have mostly survived because plant life wouldn't have been wiped out which was their food source, then future evolutionary life on earth would have changed forever and we likely wouldn't be posting on CU right now.

That's what I think of your 30 seconds theory. ;)

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 more seconds would have been too much. Ten seconds for NE to score and make a two point conversion. 17 seconds is plenty of time to get the Eagles in chip shot field goal position. Eagles win with no time on the clock.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

if Foles doesn't request a trade, he will lose a ton of money, he would be a starter somewhere else. he's only making about 3 million a year now, he could make at least 22 million/year somewhere else

Some team would have to absolutely overwhelm the Eagles with draft picks for them to trade Foles who is signed only for the upcoming season. I just don't see it happening.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not mind seeing a scenario where Foles starts the first game and is allowed to run the first series of downs. Or at the very least the first play/snap. This, as a ceremonious gesture to acknowledge his contribution in securing the SB victory. Of course the "boys" who establish the line would have to have advance notice to allow for proper line adjustment. ;)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I would not mind seeing a scenario where Foles starts the first game and is allowed to run the first series of downs. Or at the very least the first play/snap. This, as a ceremonious gesture to acknowledge his contribution in securing the SB victory. Of course the "boys" who establish the line would have to have advance notice to allow for proper line adjustment. ;)

I criticized Doug Pederson, harshly, last season and this season for overusing Carson Wentz.

Wentz had some bad injury problems in college, and it was no big surprise that he went down with an ACL tear, other than considering how much he played, that it didn't happen sooner.

Pederson has got to "rate" Wentz much better, and not keep him in games when the Eagles have the game well in hand. Frankly, Pederson should have already been doing that.

This strategy keeps Wentz fresher, less prone to injury, and gives Foles snaps to keep him as sharp as possible.

Doug Pederson did a magnificent job this season, except for this one glaring mistake with Wentz. Hopefully Pederson learns from it because a second ACL tear can sometimes be a career ending injury.

So Foles in my opinion should get a fair amount of snaps this season even as a #2. I actually like your idea, even though it won't happen. But if the Eagles have the first game at home in hand, considering what I mentioned and what you mentioned, I'd love to see Foles come out on the field and take some snaps. The roar from Eagles fans would be deafening. :)

@coinpalice said:
    if Foles doesn't request a trade, he will lose a ton of money, he would be a starter somewhere else. he's only making about 3 million a year now, he could make at least 22 million/year somewhere else

His 7 games are at least as valuable as Garappolo's

@Coinstartled said:

@coinpalice said:

His 7 games are at least as valuable as Garappolo's

That is an interesting analogy.

We'll see if somehow, some way, Jeff Lurie takes care of Nick Foles, to the satisfaction of Foles. If not, then after this coming season is over, there would be a problem, and Foles would be gone. Hence the way of the NFL.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wentz, if he is healthy.

Foles has not done well in his two stints outside of Philadelphia. He obviously needs some special situations to have things work out for him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

No way Philly won , that means half the starters are gone. Maybe some coaches too. So many teams desperately need QB's there will be offers. Myself I'd keep foles and boot Wentz , not for performance reasons , just because he's ginger

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    No way Philly won , that means half the starters are gone. Maybe some coaches too. So many teams desperately need QB's there will be offers. Myself I'd keep foles and boot Wentz , not for performance reasons , just because he's ginger

So one injury and Wentz is gone? New England could have used that logic when Brady missed almost an entire season some years ago due to a seriou

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

So one injury and Wentz is gone? New England could have used that logic when Brady missed almost an entire season some years ago due to a seriou

No not because of injury , because of gingery :D no way nobody with red hair on my team. Another thing he looks like Prince Harry , and I don't like to be reminded of those cockroaches

On a slightly more serious note , how do you bench the guy who beat tom brady in the superbowl ? Sorry nick you have to sit it was only a just the one super bowl? With Chip Kelly gone Foles will be ok going forward.

When Brady got hurt he had already won 3 superbowls and Matt cassell was no where near as good . Foles is equal or better stat wise . Maybe Wentz has better intangibles , he could always shave his head I suppose

Here is the clipboard Nick, you can be the holder PAT's.

edited February 21, 2018 5:13AM

2nd string QB is huge in todays game .... Wentz at 100% is the way to go but Foles ready to spell him. If your an Eagles fan you either get a fat return for him (FOLES) or be happy to win games with him on your way to another S.Bowl. A contact injury to the knee like Wentz sustained is better than a non-contact injury to the knee but Wentz needs to be able to prove he is durable again.

@Odessafile said:
    2nd string QB is huge in todays game .... Wentz at 100% is the way to go but Foles ready to spell him. If your an Eagles fan you either get a fat return for him (FOLES) or be happy to win games with him on your way to another S.Bowl. A contact injury to the knee like Wentz sustained is better than a non-contact injury to the knee but Wentz needs to be able to prove he is durable again.

Foles is signed for the upcoming season, so fortunately it's not an issue for the moment.

It may be after the upcoming season, it may depend of what Nick Foles wants to do. Obviously the Eagles will try to keep him as best they can without badly altering their salary structure.

The fact is that after any team wins a Super Bowl, the bad part of it is the aftermath of losing players because some players ask for more money than what they're really worth, and other teams think they're worth more money than they're really worth, and so the present team loses those players.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy call ... Wentz, assuming he's close to 100%. Much better QB, and much higher upside.

Nice to have Foles on the bench though, just in case, assuming they can afford it (not likely).

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • My Vikings need a QB please trade Wentz to us.

@RAPTORSRULE04 said:
    My Vikings need a QB please trade Wentz to us.

what do you need a tenth QB for ?

@RAPTORSRULE04 said:

We gave you Sam Bradford...now ya want another one? ;)

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@RAPTORSRULE04 said:

what do you need a tenth QB for ?

Vikings have zero QB's under contract at this time.

Bridgewater declared free agent, Bradford's contract is up and so is Keenem's. Vikings did not use Franchise or Transitional designation on any of them.

Rumor on local sports talk radio is they are going after Cousins.

I would have signed Keenum and spent big time on offensive line and a pass rusher.

Doubt that Wentz is going anywhere.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@stevek said:

@RAPTORSRULE04 said:

We gave you Sam Bradford...now ya want another one? ;)

Loved Bradford, too bad he has such a bad knee(s?).

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Around 20 years from now, after Wentz has helped bring 5,6,7,8 or more Super Bowl championships to Philly, and he announces his retirement...then we might consider trading him to ya. :D

Too bad about your classless POS fans. They don't deserve the one you finally got.

Great team though.

@JoeBanzai said:
    Too bad about your classless POS fans. They don't deserve the one you finally got.

Great team though.

Yea, but now that we've won a Super Bowl, we'll start showing some class. Next time we kick the chit out of any opposing fans at the Linc, we'll help get them into the ambulance. :D

@stevek said:
    Around 20 years from now, after Wentz has helped bring 5,6,7,8 or more Super Bowl championships to Philly, and he announces his retirement...then we might consider trading him to ya. :D

Wishful thinking. ;)

Id trade em both for linemen...the last thing this newly crowned Super Bowl winner needs is a bitter QB conflict. Its going to destroy the locker room ... get rid of both of em. Coax Tyrod Taylor away from the Browns... tell Cleveland he isnt any good and the Browns will buy it. Taylor will shuck and jive from one end zone to the other in Philly green and lead em to a 3-13 record and thats when they draft a No. 1 QB. Voila QB devastation averted.

@Odessafile said:
    Id trade em both for linemen...the last thing this newly crowned Super Bowl winner needs is a bitter QB conflict. Its going to destroy the locker room ... get rid of both of em. Coax Tyrod Taylor away from the Browns... tell Cleveland he isnt any good and the Browns will buy it. Taylor will shuck and jive from one end zone to the other in Philly green and lead em to a 3-13 record and thats when they draft a No. 1 QB. Voila QB devastation averted.

The last thing that Eagles fans wish for is dissension between players. We prefer harmony and grace not only in the locker room, but on the playing field and in the stands. Recently a stadium dress rule was passed by unanimous fan vote that attire worn at the Linc must consist of tuxedos for men and gowns for women. Also any batteries thrown at opposing players can strike only the body, not the head because that could be dangerous.

@stevek said:

@Odessafile said:

The last thing that Eagles fans wish for is dissension between players. We prefer harmony and grace not only in the locker room, but on the playing field and in the stands. Recently a stadium dress rule was passed by unanimous fan vote that attire worn at the Linc must consist of tuxedos for men and gowns for women. Also any batteries thrown at opposing players can strike only the body, not the head because that could be dangerous.

The batteries should also be rechargeable for the sake of the environment

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Yea, but now that we've won a Super Bowl, we'll start showing some class.

Thank you for the good laugh!