Home Sports Talk
Options

Do you start Nick Foles or Carson Wentz next season?

Comments

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

And Wentz is the starter without a second thought.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2018 7:36PM

@VikingDude said:
    And Wentz is the starter without a second thought.

But with Foles the team would be better than 6-7.

:*

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wentz won't be ready . Foles it is

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Foles= post injury Wentz

Wentz is on the injury train, and there's no stopping it. Cumulative effect. ACL, back, next is more knee problems.

Kid had a bright future/ cue Dandy Don

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    Foles= post injury Wentz

Wentz is on the injury train, and there's no stopping it. Cumulative effect. ACL, back, next is more knee problems.

Kid had a bright future/ cue Dandy Don

Turn out the lights...…..the party's over...………………...

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a Groundhog Day movie thread?

• Options

I hope they keep playing Wentz at least against the Cowboys. :)

• Options

@stevek said:
    Is this a Groundhog Day movie thread?

It is a thread that would not have seen daylight if the Eagles were 11-2.

;)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Eagles need to shut Wentz down and possibly keep him out for the start of next season until he is 100% healthy. I’m not sure he was good to go this season, if they rush him back then shame on the Eagles

• Options

@perkdog said:
    The Eagles need to shut Wentz down and possibly keep him out for the start of next season until he is 100% healthy. I’m not sure he was good to go this season, if they rush him back then shame on the Eagles

I have often and harshly criticized Doug Pederson for overplaying Carson Wentz. If for some bizarre reason Pederson insists on playing Wentz in any games the rest of this season, then owner Jeff Lurie needs to step in and put a stop to it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RAPTORSRULE04 said:
    My Vikings need a QB please trade Wentz to us.

Do you want another Cousins with a questionable knee thrown in? You need to find a diamond in the rough in the draft.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@RAPTORSRULE04 said:
    My Vikings need a QB please trade Wentz to us.

Do you want another Cousins with a questionable knee thrown in? You need to find a diamond in the rough in the draft.

THIS!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Foles saves the Eagles for a second year.

• Options

Eagle’s fans should hope that they keep Foles, but too many of them are impressed with the partial season that Wentz had in 2018. If they dump Foles, it will be several years of mediocrity until they get another good quarterback draft. Wentz is damaged goods until he proves otherwise.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't believe he was still in the game. Trubisky played the whole game for Chicago. Coaches are idiots.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Foles saves the Eagles for a second year.

Yes he did - simply amazing.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Can't believe he was still in the game. Trubisky played the whole game for Chicago. Coaches are idiots.

Doug Pederson has a damn bad habit of doing that.

• Options

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Doug Pederson has a damn bad habit of doing that.

I been screaming about Belichek for years over that.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

100% agree. They over think things and make stupid decisions time and time again. If I’m the owner I’m getting on the phone and ordering the starting QB out

• Options

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

100% agree. They over think things and make stupid decisions time and time again. If I’m the owner I’m getting on the phone and ordering the starting QB out

If I am the owner I sit in the box with a cigar and a glass of scotch and let my coach do his job.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

If I am the owner I sit in the box with a cigar and a glass of scotch and let my coach do his job.

That’s fine and when your moron coach leaves your big money franchise QB in during the last 10 minutes of a 30+ point blowout and he gets a serious injury you wont enjoy that cigar and scotch as much.

• Options

I'd pour another one.

;)

• Options

Look at what happened to Rodgers yesterday in an absolutely meaningless game, only a concussion but still. Why not start Kizer to begin with and realize your backup insurance policy is a joke 🍻

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Nick Foles the best backup QB in the history of the NFL?
    Especially if he's able to take the Eagles on a deep playoff run this year.

• Options

@Darin said:

Certainly in the running for most influential.

• Options

Quite an amazing story with Foles as the backup. Almost hard to believe.

I'm just glad it happened with the Eagles. :)

Will it continue? Can lightening strike twice? Unfortunately it's an entirely different scenario this season with having to win three games to get to the Super Bowl instead of just two as last season. Other factors as well. Plus i think all three games would be on the road.

In any event, I'm enjoying the ride and it's certainly nice to at least be in the playoffs, but it simply wouldn't be reasonable to expect this winning to keep happening under long odds.

And if it ends on Sunday at Chicago then it ends. I'll be disappointed but no complaints. And I'll wish Foles the very best of luck next season probably playing for another team, except that is when he plays the Eagles.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

Just off the top of my head,Brady & Kurt Warner both had Super Bowl MVP seasons after Drew Bledsoe & Trent Green had major injuries. IIRC correctly I think Doug Williams was also a backup QB the season he led the Skins to a SB win & SB MVP.
    I don't know if I'd name Foles best backup ever yet,maybe if he has another great run.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

Just off the top of my head,Brady & Kurt Warner both had Super Bowl MVP seasons after Drew Bledsoe & Trent Green had major injuries. IIRC correctly I think Doug Williams was also a backup QB the season he led the Skins to a SB win & SB MVP.
    I don't know if I'd name Foles best backup ever yet,maybe if he has another great run.

No not the same because once they got in they were locked in. Foles should never have lost the starting job after winning. Thats like benching Brady for Bledsoe .

Big fan of Curt Warner and Brady though.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

No not the same because once they got in they were locked in. Foles should never have lost the starting job after winning. Thats like benching Brady for Bledsoe .

Neither team made the permanent change at QB until after they both won the SB then traded Bledsoe & Green so yeah it pretty much is the same. Philly didn't make the permanent change to Foles because their starter was having an MVP type season on a rookie contract.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

Neither team made the permanent change at QB until after they both won the SB then traded Bledsoe & Green so yeah it pretty much is the same. Philly didn't make the permanent change to Foles because their starter was having an MVP type season on a rookie contract.

they didn't have brady and bledsoe swinging in the wind for the second season and in the second season bledsoe didn't have to rescue brady. Plus none of those people had red hair.

The eagles took the starting job away from a superbowl winner that wasn't hurt and gave it to an albino

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

But this only works if you have a HC that knows what he is doing.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2018 11:35AM

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

they didn't have brady and bledsoe swinging in the wind for the second season and in the second season bledsoe didn't have to rescue brady. Plus none of those people had red hair.

The eagles took the starting job away from a superbowl winner that wasn't hurt and gave it to an albino

The second season had nothing to do with Brady & Warner,both backup QBs at the time,leading their teams to SB wins, Foles did the same. As did Williams.
    In Brady & Warner's case the starters injuries happened early in the season,with Foles & Williams closer to the end but they all had the same result,backups going into the season then holding SB MVP trophies when it ended.

• Options

but after winning the sb brady and warner then didn't lose the starting job to a house plant

• Options

When the house plant had his team in the #1 position in the conference and was leading the league in touchdown passes before getting hurt,there wasn't one person thinking "hey this Eagles team would be better off with Nick Foles starting."
    The house plant got the job back because he was playing like an MVP before getting hurt and the team mortgaged a ton of picks to get him.
    Nick Foles had a great run last season but there have been plenty of other QBs that have been just as good if not better coming out of #2 on the depth chart on the way to a Lombardi.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Owner hired him. Or he hired the GM that hired him.

• Options

wentz = jimmy G very talented but fragile . 49's paid jimmy G 700 billion dollars to play 2 games after he played 1 1/2 for us. at least they only had to pay a carton of smokes to get him from the pats.

I mean sure Napoleon dynamites uncle rico could throw a football over a mountain but he lives in his van down by the river doesn't he?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

That doesn't mean squat and you know it. Garrett is a simple yes man and probably called upstairs to get permission to go for 2...…….or more likely Jones called down and told Garrett to go for 2.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

That doesn't mean squat and you know it. Garrett is a simple yes man and probably called upstairs to get permission to go for 2...…….or more likely Jones called down and told Garrett to go for 2.

...and when was the Cowboys last SB appearance?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

...and when was the Cowboys last SB appearance?

Last appearances and WINS was 92, 93 and 95. Jimmy Johnson was HC for 92 and 93.

• Options

@Darin said:

The best backup quarterback I remember was Earl Morrow who took over after Johnnie Unitas was injured for the Baltimore Colts. I would have look up the stats and years, but Morrow made quite a splash when he stepped in to save the season.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Wentz is the better player, team seems to step it up a level when Foles plays. Wentz is the future.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it doesn’t make sense to play your franchise quarterback in a meaningless game. But any player can have a season ending injury at any time. Teddy Bridgewater had a life threatening injury in a non contact walk through. There are two different thoughts neither is right or wrong.
    As for Foleys and Wentz, Foleys shows flashes of greatness but Wentz is the better quarterback as of this minute. Just doesn’t have enough history

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

If Foles leads the Eagles to another Super Bowl win, which is highly highly unlikely, it would certainly be hard to discard him. Statistics are one thing. The quarterback who wins the big games is the real all star.

• Options

If I’m the Eagles I’m trading Wentz and keeping Foles.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

“If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

Philadelphia Eagles football coach Joe Kuharich

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

In most cases yes. There are exceptions, last year if Belichek listened to me screaming at the TV to put Butler in then he might have had Ring #6

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

In most cases yes. There are exceptions, last year if Belichek listened to me screaming at the TV to put Butler in then he might have had Ring #6

Totally agree. His stupid bullheaded pride cost him big time!

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

Joe Kuharich was one of the worst coaches and personnel managers of all time. Take the performance of the Baltimore coach today and apply that to Kuharich's career.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Joe Kuharich was one of the worst coaches and personnel managers of all time. Take the performance of the Baltimore coach today and apply that to Kuharich's career.

It doesn’t make his words any less true

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@BillJones said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

It doesn’t make his words any less true

m

Depends on the fans nearest to him.