Home Sports Talk
Options

Do you start Nick Foles or Carson Wentz next season?

124»

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@stevek

I have not forgotten the Eagles won the Super Bowl last year but you seem to have forgotten that brings the grand total to one Super Bowl victory, in a tie with the New York Jetroplitans.

The Giants fixed their biggest problem when they fired Jerry Reese. While he was a good talent evaluator, he was not a good builder of football teams. Dave Gettleman has already done more to improve the Giants in one year than Reese had done in the last 5; from the 2017 Giants, there are 13 players left and most objective people would say the team is in better shape now than it was at the beginning of the season, especially since the GM recognized it was not happening and improved the offseason outlook with in season dealings. That’s a lot of work to improve the team in one season and with his draft history in Carolina and first draft in NY a very solid one, I feel good about their direction for the first time since they let go of Tom Coughlin. And with some disrespect intended to the other three teams, the NFC East was not all that impressive this year.

So to say the Giants will get nowhere near a Super Bowl in Saquan Barkley’s career during his rookie season is to me absurd, especially from an Eagles fan who just recently tied another poorly run, green flying organization for SB wins.

I implied that a Super Bowl wouldn't happen with Barkley if the Giants continue on the same path as they are now.

The Giants are a historically great franchise, we all acknowledge that. However in case you haven't noticed, the Giants have had a losing record in five out of their last six seasons.

If you think that having Barkley on their team will change that losing if they don't have a better quarterback at the helm, as well as other pieces of the puzzle, now that would be absurd. Their recent 5-11 losing record proves that.

We shall see what the Giants do moving forward.

The Packers and Steelers are also coming apart at the seams and yet Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlesberger get no blame and there’s no talk of replacement or moving on there. These are guys in similar points in their career arc with better teams and yet similar disappointment of late.

Blaming quarterback play here is just poor logic in my estimation. Of the starting guys who protected Eli Manning the last five seasons (prior to this last one) on the O-Line, none are still on the team now and very few if any are rostered in the NFL. There is no QB in the league who thrives under these conditions. They may produce better highlights but win loss will be largely the same. Again, we’ve taken steps to improve the line and more needs to be done - for Barkley AND Eli and his future replacement. To me, the smartest course of action is to keep Eli and keep building the most important part of the team - the O and D line - through the draft.

Giving up a popular two time Super Bowl winning QB for a rookie project or a free agent quarterback would be extremely counterproductive at this point. Neither class features anything can’t miss, talent wise. If I thought there was someone special this year or last, I’d have been more open to it. Truth be told, I kind of liked Baker Mayfield but we never had the chance to draft him anyway.

And for all the talk of the future of the NFL and the mobile passer, there’s a decent chance the Super Bowl will feature two fairly immobile (though excellent) QBs in Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

Give me a great o-line and an experienced pocket passer any day of the week!

I don't disagree with ya at all about the offensive line. For example, any team taking a lock Pro Bowl stud left tackle high in the draft is building their team the right way.

As you stated Eli as we know brought two Super Bowls to New York. And it's tough to part with a player such as that. But let's tell it straight, this is a business, Eli knows that, and i think it's good business to always part with a great player a little bit too early than too late. The Giants could have gotten all kinds of draft picks for Eli one or two seasons ago, but they didn't do it. Now Eli has little value in the marketplace.

The Giants are now stuck between a rock and a hard place as far as Super Bowl possibilities at this point, and we shall see what they do in the upcoming draft to try to rectify that.

Agree with first half but you’re just wrong on Eli on so many levels.

He’s such an interesting case.

There’s no middle ground with Eli it seems; some see him as great and others average and very lucky. There’s no changing your mind once it’s made up, either (unless you gave me a real chance to prove it with an open mind and virtually no numbers) and there’s loads of data to support either argument.

While not many get to this point anymore, some do but it’s very rare and special and says a tremendous about the player in any sport: spending their whole career with one team.

For everything he’s accomplished, how he has done it and the high character he has shown despite ample opportunities and reasons to be arrogant, Eli Manning has earned the right to finish this contract. If he were smart, he’d take less money and make this his final year and allow the Giants to load for bear (and eagle) and try to ride off into the sunset with the class and dignity he’s shown throughout.

Even with a great draft and savvy free agent moves, the Giants are not going to be a Super Nowl favorite. But taking a solid LT ( I hear there’s two top ten worthy) is the only logical play for a return to annual playoff contender (which gives you almost the same chance as anyone these days). And It’s ironic because Eli actually had a pretty good year, too - despite the 5-11 mark which hangs heavy around his neck. And to think how many points we left on the board in the red zone (HUGE indicator of a weak offensive line when you have a back like Barkley) and we still led the NFC East in scoring?

Pick a Round 1 LT, rest of draft take defense and one more year of Eli. If he’s done (as many say), we’ll be at the top next year and that class has to be better than this one...

Sorry to have to tell ya this, but overall, you're obviously in denial. The bottom line is as previously mentioned, the Giants have had a losing record in five out of the last six seasons.

Is Eli totally to blame? Of course not, but the quarterback being the most important player on the team, has to be analyzed in that perspective considering the Giants performance these past six seasons.

What you need to understand as well, is virtually every optimistic fan of any losing football team, can look at their team with a positive note about the future, and that's all well and good as an eternally hopeful fan. The fans say their team only has to do this or that to get better and then be a Super Bowl contender, and technically that can be true. However the teams in front of them are also trying to get better as well.

The draft as we all know helps to even out the playing field so that the bad teams have the first opportunity each year to choose the best players. The key is choosing the right players to put together a winning football team, and the Giants simply have not been doing that.

Will the Giants front office get wiser as time goes on? We shall see. However I don't foresee any discernible improvement happening for the Giants going into the 2019 season, as far as contending for the Super Bowl. Barkley will be Barkley, but Eli will be a year older and likely less effective. That is not progress.

After the 2019 season, then it will be six out of seven losing seasons for the Giants, and the same old optimistic Giants fans stories around this same time next year about things can get better.

Sounds like an avatar bet for next year.

I'm all-in for that. ;)

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Career Cinderella scenario for Foles. Signs next year as a backup to Eli. Eli goes down midway through the season with a season ending injury. Foles steps in leads the G men to a Super Bowl win.

Yes, if it's a Bernard Malamud novel. ;)

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Giants should get the QB out of Ohio State. They will be set for years at that position. Even if they need to trade up to get him.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    The Giants should get the QB out of Ohio State. They will be set for years at that position. Even if they need to trade up to get him.

Either that or find another NFL superstar quarterback who has a younger brother. ;)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 2:57PM

probably some germs of truth

The coaching staff and front office continue to anoint Wentz as the starter. Nick Foles seems to be on his way out, regardless of the specific mechanism by which he exits. Per the report, however, Foles is “universally loved” in the locker room. And Carson Wentz is not.

While he has been described as “incredibly hard working,” “determined,” and “highly intelligent,” Wentz also has been dubbed as, quoting from the story, “‘selfish,’ ‘uncompromising,’ ‘egotistical,’ one who plays ‘favorites’ and doesn’t like to be ‘questioned,’ one who needs to ‘practice what he preaches’ and fails ‘to take accountability.'”

“Carson Wentz’s biggest enemy is Carson Wentz,” one unnamed source told Santoliquito. “He’s had his ass kissed his whole life, and sometimes acts like he’s won 10 Super Bowls, when he hasn’t played in, let alone won, a playoff game yet. Everyone around him wants good things for him. He did more thinking on the field than he did playing [in 2018]. You don’t have to be a brain surgeon or a football expert to see how differently this team plays and reacts with one guy as opposed to the other.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/unnamed-eagles-begin-push-back-153413648.html

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don’t have to be a brain surgeon or a football expert to see how differently this team plays and reacts with one guy as opposed to the other.
    This is what we heard about Brady back in 2001 around the time when Bledsoe came back from his injury. I honestly think that was a huge reason why Belichick never gave Drew his job back at the time.

This may sound crazy but If I were the Philly GM I would call around the league and see what teams would offer for Wentz before letting Foles leave. Either way they're going to be handing out a fairly large QB contract by next offseason so they might as well see whats out there. IIRC it was going to be very hard for Philly to tag & trade Foles,if you could end up with Foles and a couple early round picks over Wentz alone they should at least think about it.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see Eagles players are flat out denying it. Maybe Foles planted that

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

The coaching staff and front office continue to anoint Wentz as the starter. Nick Foles seems to be on his way out, regardless of the specific mechanism by which he exits. Per the report, however, Foles is “universally loved” in the locker room. And Carson Wentz is not.

While he has been described as “incredibly hard working,” “determined,” and “highly intelligent,” Wentz also has been dubbed as, quoting from the story, “‘selfish,’ ‘uncompromising,’ ‘egotistical,’ one who plays ‘favorites’ and doesn’t like to be ‘questioned,’ one who needs to ‘practice what he preaches’ and fails ‘to take accountability.'”

“Carson Wentz’s biggest enemy is Carson Wentz,” one unnamed source told Santoliquito. “He’s had his ass kissed his whole life, and sometimes acts like he’s won 10 Super Bowls, when he hasn’t played in, let alone won, a playoff game yet. Everyone around him wants good things for him. He did more thinking on the field than he did playing [in 2018]. You don’t have to be a brain surgeon or a football expert to see how differently this team plays and reacts with one guy as opposed to the other.”

m

<<< Wentz also has been dubbed as, quoting from the story, “‘selfish,’ ‘uncompromising,’ ‘egotistical,’ one who plays ‘favorites’ and doesn’t like to be ‘questioned,’ one who needs to ‘practice what he preaches’ and fails ‘to take accountability.'” >>>

Yea, like there aren't any quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame who didn't have a number of those personal attributes. LOL

Carson Wentz, I think most would agree, would have won the MVP award if he had stayed healthy last season. This season, even coming off a brutal ACL tear, he still had a statistical season that was pretty darn good. Yes, he wasn't the same outstanding QB as the previous season. However the fact is that it normally takes another season of play for an ACL to fully heal.

Next season, Carson Wentz could very well have a monster season.

Would Nick Foles the starter for the Eagles have a monster season in 2019 or a monster season in 2019 with another team? I sincerely doubt it. To use a baseball pitching analogy, Nick Foles is simply a much better reliever than a starter when taking an entire football season into account.

This is such an easy call, a non-story, but the media seems to enjoy having a field day with it. I guess it helps rack-up the google clicks on their websites to generate more money for them. Mr Yahoo needs to buy another summer house, this time in Saint Tropez. LOL

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

<<< Wentz also has been dubbed as, quoting from the story, “‘selfish,’ ‘uncompromising,’ ‘egotistical,’ one who plays ‘favorites’ and doesn’t like to be ‘questioned,’ one who needs to ‘practice what he preaches’ and fails ‘to take accountability.'” >>>

Yea, like there aren't any quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame who didn't have a number of those personal attributes. LOL

Carson Wentz, I think most would agree, would have won the MVP award if he had stayed healthy last season. This season, even coming off a brutal ACL tear, he still had a statistical season that was pretty darn good. Yes, he wasn't the same outstanding QB as the previous season. However the fact is that it normally takes another season of play for an ACL to fully heal.

Would Nick Foles the starter for the Eagles have a monster season in 2019 or a monster season in 2019 with another team? I sincerely doubt it. To use a baseball pitching analogy, Nick Foles is simply a much better reliever than a starter when taking an entire football season into account.

This is such an easy call, a non-story, but the media seems to enjoy having a field day with it. I guess it helps rack-up the google clicks on their websites to generate more money for them. Mr Yahoo needs to buy another summer house, this time in Saint Tropez. LOL

you make a lot of assumptions. Jimmy G would have won MVP both of these last two seasons if he could have played more than 4 games each.

Anny fool can string 2 or 3 games together.

No way Wentz was going to beat Mahomes in MVP votes this year, Wentz won't throw 50 TD's in 2 seasons let alone one.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

you make a lot of assumptions. Jimmy G would have won MVP both of these last two seasons if he could have played more than 4 games each.

No way Wentz was going to beat Mahomes in MVP votes this year, Wentz won't throw 50 TD's in 2 seasons let alone one.

I stated "last season" meaning the 2017 season in which Wentz was third in the MVP voting.

Of course there are a lot of unknown factors when discussing injuries, especially an ACL tear. However my premise was based on a number of ACL tear surgeries on other players being successful. As well as the young age of Carson Wentz to hopefully be able to heal and fully recover.

We shall see what the future brings.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I stated "last season" meaning the 2017 season in which Wentz was third in the MVP voting.

Of course there are a lot of unknown factors when discussing injuries, especially an ACL tear. However my premise was based on a number of ACL tear surgeries on other players being successful. As well as the young age of Carson Wentz to hopefully be able to heal and fully recover.

mahomes is going to win the MVP for the next 5 years . Everyone around the league is already saying Carson who? Wentz is never going to play a full season , meanwhile you want to discard a guy who won the super bowl in favor of the "ginger eggshell" :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

mahomes is going to win the MVP for the next 5 years . Everyone around the league is already saying Carson who? Wentz is never going to play a full season , meanwhile you want to discard a guy who won the super bowl in favor of the "ginger eggshell" :D

You may turn out to be right.

We shall see.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Foles won’t be with the Eagles at the start of next season so there is your answer. The Eagles will finish behind Dallas, New York and Washington next year, and will be back to business as usual. Wentz was a flash in the pan.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick Foles is signing with Jacksonville once free agency starts.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without Foles I don't expect the Eagles to make the playoffs.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph