Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

With the coming middle class tax cut, do you expect to pour the tax savings into your collection?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

Now that middle class tax relief has been passed, do you expect to take those tax savings and increase the amount that you spend on your collection? Or do you think that more money in collectors' pockets will not necessarily translate into increased spending on coins? Does anyone know if past tax relief efforts have shown a related increase in spending on coin collections?

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is already a large thread on this somewhere, I will see if I can find it. It kind of turned into a mess the last time I looked at it.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

hold your breath before you start spending

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a dangerous thread that will quickly devolve into political rancor.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope...although I am somewhat suspect that my taxes will be reduced by any meaningful amount I have other projects (OK my wife does!) that will be needing my meager discretionary spending allocation. And I am not trying to imply that my coin spending in any way can impact the coin market 'cause it is a droplet in the bucket :)

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may affect the upper tier of the coin market.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

what Tax cut?? I'll believe it when I see it. just make sure you wait to see where things increase before you count any net decrease.

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Every xtra cent goes on the horse that I've been riding the past year - the US stock market. When that horse falters, I'll consider coins along with other tangibles.

• Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I plan on using ALL of mine to get a roll of cents to search thru from the bank! :/

A friend of mine who is a millionaire said he plans on spending PART of his on a new Corvette !!! :#

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Longacre posting? what is this... 2010?

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Studies have shown that few collectors post here, and once in a while there's a rare cameo appearance by the upper class.

But that's rare, by today's standard.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2018 4:55PM
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2018 4:58PM

if this quarter's earnings are good, I expect it to be poured into the stock market.

I just wish I had some help for international tax consequences incurred from cryptocurrency foreign exchange businesses.

oh well, I'll just have to settle with physical coin talk.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in a high SALT state, so no :s

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

@joebb21 said:
    Longacre posting? what is this... 2010?

Longacre was hoping to draw RYK out of retirement. ;)

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

That will require a tuition cut

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm retired and on Social Security so no tax benefit here. My coin spending will stay roughly the same. (True, SSA benefits go up 2% this year but the Medicare increase means a smaller check.)
    Lance.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to find the prior thread, search "hose job". :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already spent my next three years gains, I hope it doesn't get repealed too quick.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2018 6:16PM

No, but I expect tax accountants will make a killing. :)

I hope you are well, Longacre....Mike

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

My coin/gun money comes out of my overtime, so it just depends on wether the economy keeps rollin along.

• Options

@rottnrog said:

A friend of mine who is a millionaire said he plans on spending PART of his on a new Corvette !!! :#

...and a new toupee!

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    My taxes are going up and I'm middle class. So no.

Me too!

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto, getting worked over. Nice to get reamed, wait til user fees go through the roof & slashed benefits.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Took away $5000 of deductions, getting slightly smaller tax rate, if i'm lucky, i'll break even, kind of think i'll pay more. So no spending increases here.

Shouldn't a 'tax cut' have been multiply you deduction times 2 ??? That would be a tax cut, not removing deductions, that's Trump raising taxes.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

No tax cut here

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Higher overall taxes in the Golden State, federal taxes might be lower but state taxes no longer tax deductible so net effect higher taxes.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. I will invest it in other areas. Assuming I see a cut...

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2018 10:06PM

I don't mind paying more taxes in California if it keeps the president away. He hasn't visited here once during his first year in office. We are his kryptonite apparently.

The previous president was wildly popular and came to California way too often and caused mayhem with the traffic as he often came unannounced. I was actually happy when he was finishing his second term because of this.

Not sure which scenario makes me more happy

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll put my tax cut into a monthly Netflix subscription as that is about what I'll get.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I don't mind paying more taxes in California if it keeps the president away. He hasn't visited here once during his first year in office. We are his kryptonite apparently.

The previous president was wildly popular and came to California way too often and caused mayhem with the traffic as he often came unannounced. I was actually happy when he was finishing his second term because of this.

mark

Mark, I'd rather they all stay away, because as you wrote, they really mess up traffic. I live and work near Los Angeles Int'l Airport, so whenever any of these bozos come here, it's a traffic nightmare. Personally, I'd pay them to go bother other people in other places.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you guys talking about 2017 taxes owed/refunded or are you talking the expectations of the 2018 tax year? As far as my 2017 taxes, I am not seeing any difference from the prior years taxes based on looking at the 1040 book.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    Are you guys talking about 2017 taxes owed/refunded or are you talking the expectations of the 2018 tax year? As far as my 2017 taxes, I am not seeing any difference from the prior years taxes based on looking at the 1040 book.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@Batman23 said:

Thanks, I figured that must be the case. I doubt I will see much benefit from any changes until 2019 then. Just a normal guy here working for "the man" and waiting for his annual W2...

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

After a long day in Grand Rapids 30 years ago, I was on my way back to Detroit. Traffic froze for close to an hour as the then VP was headed to a fundraiser. Inconsiderate louts from both parties.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

All the blue states are getting tax increases.
    The reduction on state & property tax deductions will be a tax increase.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

No change anticipated or expected.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will find out in a few weeks how withholdings change. I'm excited; I suspect mine will be split between coins and bills.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not allocate funds, I spend as I see things I like....so, some funds could go to coins, or firearms, or ammunition, or Cabernet Sauvignon..actually Cabernet and firearms are more likely :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2018 7:44AM

@Justacommeman said:
    No tax cut here

m

I am thinking that will be par for the course as this plays out. From what I can tell, this was primarily a tax cut for buisnesses, not for individuals. I guess we will find out. To complicate the issue, the decade long stock market run is about to end so how is that going to affect collectables? Stocks have been pushed up too high, let's hope the landing is smoother than in 2008.

money.cnn.com/2018/01/17/investing/feldstein-predicts-stock-market-plunge/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-dom

money.cnn.com/2018/01/16/investing/bonds-market-stocks-inflation/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing it will Make Sandwiches Great Again...

As talking to my accountant I might be able to squeeze out an extra jar of Mayonnaise each year? :/

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@Justacommeman said:
    No tax cut here

m

I am thinking that will be par for the course as this plays out. From what I can tell, this was primarily a tax cut for buisnesses, not for individuals. I guess we will find out. To complicate the issue, the decade long stock market run is about to end so how is that going to affect collectables? Stocks have been pushed up too high, let's hope the landing is smoother than in 2008.

money.cnn.com/2018/01/17/investing/feldstein-predicts-stock-market-plunge/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-dom

money.cnn.com/2018/01/16/investing/bonds-market-stocks-inflation/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Best, SH

Interesting that 2017 Federal corporate tax revenue is ~$350B or ~10% of Federal revenues. With corporate profits ~$1.7T the effective tax rate was ~15%.

2018 projections of 20%+ profit growth don't seem realistic. Watch out before spending your tax savings.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I do not allocate funds, I spend as I see things I like....so, some funds could go to coins, or firearms, or ammunition, or Cabernet Sauvignon..actually Cabernet and firearms are more likely :D:D Cheers, RickO

I'm pretty sure that the combo is a felony in all 50 states! :#

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "extra" funds that get allocated around my house go to my significant other for shopping sprees.....

Oh well.......

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Death and taxes. You missed nothing, Michael. Welcome home.

• Options

@drei3ree said:

@ricko said:

I'm pretty sure that the combo is a felony in all 50 states! :#

Maybe in 49 of the states... Just a little ole Misdemeanor here in AK! ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.... I should have clarified..... first firearms... then Cabernet.....when guns are put away. Though it is legal to carry in bars here in NYS.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file