Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A customer just came into my store and bought these with two Whitman Coin folders.

TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D

Comments

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is sad...

• Options
    edited January 16, 2018 3:45PM

@blitzdude said:
    So you buy coins and sell whiskey in the same store?

Lol. I collect cash /coins while drinking bourbon all day at work. ;)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whitman folders make me want to drink.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@blitzdude said:

Ah I see, nice for you. I've heard of people coming in with silver eagles and Morgan dollars to buy booze. I need a we buy gold we sell booze store in the same location. Or at least next door to each other.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was trying to see where you were selling the Whitmans, but now I understand they paid for the booze with the Lincoln sets.

They could have gotten more with their statehood quarter set.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

My brother in law worked at a liquor store for over 20 years. He had a tackle box and jars full of old silver coins and wheat cents that had come in over the years. I was always so jealous because he just bought it all from the register at face. It was the coolest collection of stuff. He said it would just slowly come in for a while and then all the sudden someone would bring in a ton of stuff.

One of the tellers in my town worked at a bank for over 40 years and retired around 2010. Her son took pictures of her collection bought from her drawer over the years to ask me what I thought it was worth. It was an impressive collection to say the least. All the other tellers would always sell her the "cool or unusual'' stuff when it came in. She also had some really nice currency as well.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    In the meanwhile, this week 's silver from cash register.

These are what Original silver coins should look like in my opinion.
    They’re actually more beautiful to me than the market acceptable circ stuff that populates most collections in high demand series we all know and love.

I once purchased an original roll of BU 83P quarters from a liquor store without the thought that they’d be anything, but that was my early collecting series.

Sprinkled them back to the liquor store in short order as need arose, which was fairly quickly. :#

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably stolen, sad to say. I'd hate to think that someone with the patience and time to complete a Whitman folder has fallen that far down into the hole.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

The poor person needed a drink.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    Gee Whiz.....
    Somebody takes the time to take a couple of pictures and post a fun thread and then they're accused of buying stolen goods !

Simmer down. My observation only is that most individuals that desperate for a drink don't usually carry around completed Whitman folders in lieu of currency, but hey, I suppose it could be an avid numismatist who happens to like airplane bottles of booze, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I've seen stuff like that before, I just hope they didn't raid someones collection for money.

Buying all low end varieties of the $1 bill.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@thebeav said:
    Gee Whiz.....
    Somebody takes the time to take a couple of pictures and post a fun thread and then they're accused of buying stolen goods !

Simmer down. My observation only is that most individuals that desperate for a drink don't usually carry around completed Whitman folders in lieu of currency, but hey, I suppose it could be an avid numismatist who happens to like airplane bottles of booze, lol..

I must have missed the part that said the customer was desperate for a drink.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought # Two: If you had the cajones to steal the coins, why not try to steal the airplane booze bottles too? They are very small and aren't valuable enough for an electronic tag.

Thought # One: No evidence that the folders were completed. 50 ml of Fireball ought to be dirt cheap, Stoly might be a little more. Maybe they had a two-for-one clearance bin. Maybe the customer had a couple of quarters and dimes to add to the deal. It might be a sad story, but life is a little sad.

Perhaps the thing is a little unusual for this website, but I kinda like to see these insights into other peoples' lives.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@blitzdude said:

Weird. Looks just like Marketview Liquor in Rochester.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    The poor person needed a drink.

Yes indeed.........If they came from family and were not stolen, the person's relatives will know soon enough.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Delaware they could have bought this.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece of life :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get a few wheat cents at my local liquor store but they started rounding down when out of cents.

Larry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will likely never know the backstory of that transaction, however, it is an interesting post... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

I used to work with guy that worked evenings at a liquor store. He had a guy used to come in and buy with Proof Silver eagles at face value.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the worst part of this story is that the person bought fireball. :s

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    In Delaware they could have bought this.

Scrapple flavored vodka ... That' s new one on me. I had my first taste of scrapple in 20 years at Rehoboth Beach breakfast place last fall, and it was really good too. Too often it has too much corn meal in it.

For those who don't know what we are talking about, Scrapple is a pork based prepared meat that made from all the picky piece parts from the hog. The parts are boiled up in a big iron pot. My father said that pig's liver was the part that made it good. Out in the country when folks held a "hog killin'" in the fall, scrapple was one of the products along with bacon and ham. I was very small child when my father had his last "hog killin'" event.

As for the booze, the "Fireball" stuff is pretty good. It's like the fireball candy I got at the movies when I was kid, only it's liquid and has alcohol in it. It's sort of like a poor man's "Grand Marnier." I learned about "Knob Creek" from the Stone Barrington novels by Stuart Woods. It's very good on the rocks and makes a mean Manhattan.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mess with grading those two dimes with PCGS (too small a value) although the 1941 is pre-WW2 and looks like a polished circulated gem.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2018 10:56AM

I was in the local c-store this morning for donuts, and I noted that the 375 ml Fireball was $6.59 plus sales tax. It could have been 200 ml sized too, it was behind the counter a few feet and hard to see. Whoa that's a lot of money!

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I was in the local c-store this morning for donuts, and I noted that the 375 ml Fireball was $6.59 plus sales tax. It could have been 200 ml sized too, it was behind the counter a few feet and hard to see. Whoa that's a lot of money!

My cost for a 375ml Fireball is around $6.50 and is being sold at $8.99.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2018 2:52PM

Anyhow, both folders (90 pennies each) were around 85% completed. The missing coins were replaced with older wheaties.. They are from a regular customer of mine who does his visit every couple day. Oh and the airplane shots are selling for a buck each at my store. :*

• Options
    edited January 17, 2018 3:23PM

@TurboSnail said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

My cost for a 375ml Fireball is around $6.50 and is being sold at $8.99.

What I was looking at must have been the 200 ml size, the place I was in was not a cheap place for alcohol.

But the place does sell two donuts and medium coffee (both good or better quality) for $2.16 including sales tax, and the A.M. Staff is very friendly.

Fireball makes me shudder at little bit to even think about it.

It is neat to see your little slice of life.

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭

A convenience store clerk told me of the guy who came in late night and bought a pack of cigarettes with six Peace Dollars. That’s when you really need a smoke!

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

The prices for the wine are low. You must be in a low tax state.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of reminds me of the story of the old man who used his Morgan Dollars he had collected over the years to "head out" on his walks and buy cigars. Supposedly, he did this because his wife would never let him spend any "real" money. Foolish for most, but he did what he had to do to be happy.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    Anyhow, both folders (90 pennies each) were around 85% completed. The missing coins were replaced with older wheaties.. They are from a regular customer of mine who does his visit every couple day. Oh and the airplane shots are selling for a buck each at my store. :*

Will the airplane shots make me fly away?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file