Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

January 2018 Pickups Thread!

I love having a local card show on New Years Day!

Comments

• OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Multiple etti-cat rules broken here:

1. The initiating of a monthly pickup thread is reserved for those here who have some clout. Expect one of those tenured folks to re-initiate one and replace yours.
    2. "I love having a local card show on New Years Day!" is right out ! (python reference) without stating where. If you love it you should marry it.
    3. Have you come home from the card show, placed your winnings on the floor, kneeled on the floor, and taken pictures ? ?
    4. The carpet itself. Good grief man, that style of carpet is simply a magnet of dust mites.
    5. You came up with this by yourself (excluding pman of course)
    6. Brock mixed in there ?
    7. Those cards are all actually very NICE !!!! congrats. :smiley:

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    1. The initiating of a monthly pickup thread is reserved for those here who have some clout. Expect one of those tenured folks to re-initiate one and replace yours.

Seriously?!

• Luke1989Luke1989 Posts: 136 ✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018 5:05PM

@prgsdw said:

Seriously?!

Lol I agree who the hell cares who starts the monthly pickup thread. I’m not ever going to think, “oh boy a new guy created this thread. Better wait for a tenured guy to post”

Lmao wow...

Very very nice pickups. I don’t really deal much with newer cards but that Brock is very nice!

Congrats on ringing in the new year right!

• MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@justrun7 said:

Where was this show? A New Year's Day show sounds awesome!

Go Dodgers!
  • justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

@MarsAttacks said:

@justrun7 said:

Where was this show? A New Year's Day show sounds awesome!

Bordentown NJ

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    I purchased a case(2000) Card Saver I's today. Will post pics when they arrive!!

That is pretty funny :D

Opened second box of Hoops series 1 and man the collation is brutal. Pulled 2 Robinson rookies for a total of 5 in 2 boxes but some strange stuff with this box. Was labeled FASC, but only had 35 packs and not 36 - counted 4 times to make sure. Then one pack was really thick and had 22 cards in it!! All the others had 15 per the norm. Not sure if this was normal and should I contact the seller or forgot about it.

KC

Saw that one and had my eye on it - great pickup!

KC

• @KendallCat said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    I purchased a case(2000) Card Saver I's today. Will post pics when they arrive!!

Opened second box of Hoops series 1 and man the collation is brutal. Pulled 2 Robinson rookies for a total of 5 in 2 boxes but some strange stuff with this box. Was labeled FASC, but only had 35 packs and not 36 - counted 4 times to make sure. Then one pack was really thick and had 22 cards in it!! All the others had 15 per the norm. Not sure if this was normal and should I contact the seller or forgot about it.

KC

I have been working on a pristine set of 89 Hoops and have opened 5+ cases of the stuff, this is normal. Bad centering, bad collation, loading marks on every card of certain players throughout the case, inconsistent number of cards per pack. Still my favorite set of all time :) !

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • @jfkheat said:
    I bought this 56 Aaron in the BST section of the forum. A already have this card in an 8 but with the centering and clarity of the picture I couldn't pass it up. The seller was great to deal with. This has better centering than the one I have.

James

Wow James, that is a beauty!

Tim
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wrestlingcardking said:
    Hulk Hogan's very first trading card, a 1981 Popy from Japan. This is a pop 2 with none higher. It's very difficult to find this card and upgraded from my old 7. A great way to bring in the new year for the Wrestling Card King.

Cool looking Hogan card. Congrats on the upgrade.

@Largentcollector said:

@KendallCat said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

KC

I have been working on a pristine set of 89 Hoops and have opened 5+ cases of the stuff, this is normal. Bad centering, bad collation, loading marks on every card of certain players throughout the case, inconsistent number of cards per pack. Still my favorite set of all time :) !

Thx. Let me know if there is anyone you need and I can check my stash.

KC

• Thx. Let me know if there is anyone you need and I can check my stash.

KC

I think I'll take you up on that, I'll have to find my need to upgrade list. Thanks KC.

Tim
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wrestlingcardking said:
    Hulk Hogan's very first trading card, a 1981 Popy from Japan. This is a pop 2 with none higher. It's very difficult to find this card and upgraded from my old 7. A great way to bring in the new year for the Wrestling Card King.

I would call that his Thunder Lips RC! Not sure why exactly but it reminds me of TL! Maybe because I always picture him in yellow & red trunks during the early 80s.

Kevin

Kevin

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the Rice RC so close to a nine.

Totally agree Tim - also like the Sugar Ray.

Mike

@Luke1989 said:

@prgsdw said:

Seriously?!

Lol I agree who the hell cares who starts the monthly pickup thread. I’m not ever going to think, “oh boy a new guy created this thread. Better wait for a tenured guy to post”

Lmao wow...

Very very nice pickups. I don’t really deal much with newer cards but that Brock is very nice!

Congrats on ringing in the new year right!

My "radar" detected some ironic humor - at least that's my take.

I'm sure most all "tenured" folks here are pretty unanimous in believing that the "quality of a thread and poster is not in any way related to [post count]."

Mike
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018 11:06PM

Love the centering on the Bradshaw and the Aaron. Agree that the Rice is so close. Still a great looking card. Hogan is great.
    ...and weird seeing Bryce Harper in a 1962 card. I love the retro look.

Keep posting guys. Love these cards
    ...I have two to post but still waiting on an auction that closed a month ago! True, I sent a check but that's 7-10 days to clear(?).....Gee whiz....Oh well, waiting makes you appreciate it more....I'm told.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

KendallCat....im guessing it was labeled FASC by Steve. Which means he witnessed it himself? That's what i always thought...(and he doesn't count the packs in an already sealed box?)..just trying to figure out where the missing pack went, if it was there.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up my favorite early Griffey Jr card signed. I haven't seen many signed for some reason as the 90 Leaf is pretty iconic.

• OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@Luke1989 said:

@prgsdw said:

Seriously?!

Lmao wow...

My "radar" detected some ironic humor - at least that's my take.

I'm sure most all "tenured" folks here are pretty unanimous in believing that the "quality of a thread and poster is not in any way related to [post count]."

:) Stone is a wise man :) Am a full supporter of who gives a rats bum on 'post count' Even thinking of that being a status makes me bum pucker up. heh heh It's all fun dudes !

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy smokes that Dr. J rookie is outstanding. Great centering and, above all else, a perfect print job. No black smudges in the yellow, no barnacle by his left elbow, no fisheyes in the red. Man, you got yourself a winner there. So, so hard to find print jobs like that on the Dr. J rookie. Congrats.

Arthur

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sleek "Greek Freak"

• This just in today for my 63F set. An upgrade.

Mike, I just went through your set very nice, the Clemente you have is just stunning!

@maddux69 said:
    Picked up my favorite early Griffey Jr card signed. I haven't seen many signed for some reason as the 90 Leaf is pretty iconic.

Love this card Jason, congrats!

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Holy smokes that Dr. J rookie is outstanding. Great centering and, above all else, a perfect print job. No black smudges in the yellow, no barnacle by his left elbow, no fisheyes in the red. Man, you got yourself a winner there. So, so hard to find print jobs like that on the Dr. J rookie. Congrats.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur, I like this copy better than the PSA 6 I have.

Tim
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

Just received today. Nice present to myself after dealing with the latest snow storm!!

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Tip Top is a strip joint in my hometown so seeing this quote from Duke Snider is quite funny to me.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Largentcollector,
    Not sure why that Dr. J. is PSA 5 it is a great looking 5. Like the mid-grade Bradshaw rookie and Robinson. That Rice rookie is on my want list and need to add one. Nice pickups congrats.

• @JBrules said:
    Largentcollector,
    Not sure why that Dr. J. is PSA 5 it is a great looking 5. Like the mid-grade Bradshaw rookie and Robinson. That Rice rookie is on my want list and need to add one. Nice pickups congrats.

It has this little mark on the back, maybe that is why it isn't a six.

Couple of fresh cards in the mail today.

And this well loved Pee Wee Reese

Tim
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

I now have 28 of the 36 in the 73 Annual set in PSA 10, the other 8 do not have any 10s so I have each card in the highest possible grade now.....

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny - having grown up in the 80s, Andre was an old, beat up slow Giant. Not until I was older (and wiser) did I realize that this guy was an amazing, Shaq like athlete.

In similar fashion, I imagine young people who see chubby Shaq on TNT are dumbfounded when they see highlights of his days with the Magic.

Backs up my long standing theory that everyone stays the same age they were when you met them - in your minds eye...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also picked up a 1953 Reese. Paid PSA 4 price for it but it will not grade that high. I've always wanted a well centered copy. The dealer had a couple more not well centered.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

If its one thing I've learned here, its everyone mostly does vintage. But here are two modern cards that delivered today.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Kareem!

Kevin

awesome Kareem

• creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 7:25AM

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added Scherzer this week.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

I am just getting caught up on this thread. There is a fantastic variety of items this month so far. This has always been a favorite thread of mine each month. Keep them coming everyone.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Brady to add to my Brady Bunch.

@aconte said:
    Just received today. Nice present to myself after dealing with the latest snow storm!!

Hiya Tony

That's iconic buddy!

As a Snider fan - that's a great addition to a collection - that's the first one I've personally seen that wasn't torn.

The pose is reminiscent of the "inset" in the 63T card.

Excellent pickup!

Mike

Thanx Tim!

Always so much great stuff.

Gotta agree with ya Jason - the 90L Griffey is a beauty of a card and the auto is very sharp buddy - good show!

Mike
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Very pleased to add this 75 Jabbar to my run I have going (replacing an 8 I have). Anyone that has collected 75's know just how difficult it is to get this card in high grade with strong centering.

Wow! That's a beauty! Such a tough card, congratulations!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

I have picked up a few Emmitt rookies in PSA 9's the last few weeks

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

One card closer to my dream.

1951 Wheaties Premium Photos - Phil Rizzuto - Letter B

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Nice looking 1990 supplemental Smith Abe. That action packed all-Madden is one of my favorites of him. Congrats!

@prgsdw said:
    Nice looking 1990 supplemental Smith Abe. That action packed all-Madden is one of my favorites of him. Congrats!

Thanks Steve! I decided that I didn't want to spend the premium for 10's on these and found 9's that I'm happy with. I agree with you completely about the AP All Madden, I love those early Action Packed sets. Truth be told, there aren't many early 90's Cowboys cards that I don't love!