Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

January 2018 Pickups Thread!

Comments

• Options

@JBrules said:
    Very pleased to add this 75 Jabbar to my run I have going (replacing an 8 I have). Anyone that has collected 75's know just how difficult it is to get this card in high grade with strong centering.

That card looks amazing and will look awesome in your basic set! congrats

@Brick said:
    I also picked up a 1953 Reese. Paid PSA 4 price for it but it will not grade that high. I've always wanted a well centered copy. The dealer had a couple more not well centered.

Looks great Ralph, such a great addition!

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I have picked up a few Emmitt rookies in PSA 9's the last few weeks

That is one awesome looking Score RC, I'm not sure I have seen a better centered copy! Very tough to find.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 9:04PM

Fresh mail, really happy with this one.

Tim
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Upgraded Mr. Porterfield from a 2. Centering sold me. Doug

• Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Very pleased to add this 75 Jabbar to my run I have going (replacing an 8 I have). Anyone that has collected 75's know just how difficult it is to get this card in high grade with strong centering.

Nice Kareem. Are you looking to move your 8?

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sinoth23 said:

@JBrules said:

Nice Kareem. Are you looking to move your 8?

Thanks. The 8 just sold earlier today.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2018 1:39PM

Got a few things on the way, but I'll wait to post those at the same time as to not clutter the thread too much. But, I wanted to post a pic of a small display I set up for my Mom. Picked up a couple of new things for her this month. 85 yrs young, not a collector or anything but I get her the occasional piece of someone she's been a fan of / a fan of, still a Robby Gordon fan. One of her sons is a smarta$$, maybe that explains the Robby G. fandom
    fandom ;)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this about a month ago. My scanner doesn't work so this is sellers' image.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Bought the Eli with my eBay Bucks. It goes great with the Strahan that I bought a couple months ago.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice assortment of Emmitts Abe.

Big fan of the 90S card.

Reminds me of our long gone buddy Matt the L'mowerman.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Doug - the Porterfield is incredible!

Looks as good as any of my 7s. Nice pickup.

Mike
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got this Brock in the mail today. So far the only one graded by PSA and number 22 of 25. Of all of the Brock football cards it has the lowest number produced.

• Options

That is a cool looking Lesnar card congrats.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@dictoresno said:
    If its one thing I've learned here, its everyone mostly does vintage. But here are two modern cards that delivered today.

I agree that most people around here - frequent posters, even more so - collect vintage. Myself included. But I love the look of the modern cards, too. And Nolan is an absolute stud - perhaps the best all around infielder in the game today. So please keep posting the modern stuff, too.

Pretty busy this month so far, and its only the 10th! Just took delivery of the base version of those Arenado cards, so here is an updated pic of all three together. Thinking about maybe getting the Emerald too to add to it. Also picked up a few other Arenado cards and finished my 2017 Bowman Chrome Gleyber Torres rainbow by picking up the Gold Refractor /50 the other day. I have all except the Red /5, Black 1/1 and Super. They will all be going to PSA once I get the funds.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Gotta have a few on hand
    2. Great looking Bobby Mitchell rc
    3. Wanted a 2nd Doleman for no particular reason. Dude is a class act HOFer
    4. Random Haley RC
    5. Mawae a HOFer? Likely, within a few years.
    6. Clyde regional Franzs. Love these.

• Options

yoda99, Nice looking Brown rookie. Congrats.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started off the new year with a bunch of MJ 90's inserts for the grading pile.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭

@Luke1989 said:

@prgsdw said:

1. The initiating of a monthly pickup thread is reserved for those here who have some clout. Expect one of those tenured folks to re-initiate one and replace yours.

Seriously?!

Lol I agree who the hell cares who starts the monthly pickup thread. I’m not ever going to think, “oh boy a new guy created this thread. Better wait for a tenured guy to post”

Lmao wow...

Very very nice pickups. I don’t really deal much with newer cards but that Brock is very nice!

Congrats on ringing in the new year right!

I agree, only people logged on before 6 am can create threads

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

nice jim brown...and very affordable right now as are a bunch of stars

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Been a slow month for me so far, here are a couple graded hockey cards that came in January

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

Big thanks to JBrules, he sent this beauty my way!

Tim
  • Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

This 1963 Koufax card arrived today.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Pretty happy about this one's centering. Any chance for bump on it?

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just waiting for my very first ever PSA card to come back.. should be sometime this month. and a double diamond hockey card, with 2 real diamonds on it .. ill get scans in as soon as they arrive in the mail. very slow mail here where i live

• Options
    justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Happy with my pickups this weekend.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Not sure why, however really like the ballpoint pen signature. Card is real nice, centered, appears sharp. Any thoughts on card grading out? Could it get an 8?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Great mix of stuff to start the year off!

Starting off 2018 the same way I spent most of 2017, by adding a few key cards to the growing Judge PC. The first is a HUGE pick up for me and one of, if not my favorite Judge RC to release. 3/3 from Definitive with a full, bold auto and a game used slice of his #99 and a couple of pinstripes for good measure. I imagine I'll be rubbing the swatch for good luck next postseason lol.

The second is the ALCS Topps Now Relic Auto. I was at that game and have never been on a more wild roller coaster ride at a game in my life.

Looking forward to the new season. Spring training can't come quick enough.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that Kareem! And I love that Justice. David Justice owned the hobby for a period of time. That was a fun time.

Arthur

• Options
    creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    edited January 15, 2018 11:24AM

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

Not my usual team, but I couldn't resist. Will look great with my personalized Mantle ball.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

@linunxabuser said:
    @Dand522612 Nice card! I think the ding in the side by Hank's left sleeve will prevent it from getting an 8

Thanks, yes saw that and one corner appears a bit weak. Maybe send in for review with minimum grade of 7? 7.5? I like it no matter what as it presents well.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

my very first psa card is in and also the diamond hockey card i mentioned earlier

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CenteredMantles said:
    Great mix of stuff to start the year off!

Starting off 2018 the same way I spent most of 2017, by adding a few key cards to the growing Judge PC. The first is a HUGE pick up for me and one of, if not my favorite Judge RC to release. 3/3 from Definitive with a full, bold auto and a game used slice of his #99 and a couple of pinstripes for good measure. I imagine I'll be rubbing the swatch for good luck next postseason lol.

The second is the ALCS Topps Now Relic Auto. I was at that game and have never been on a more wild roller coaster ride at a game in my life.

Looking forward to the new season. Spring training can't come quick enough.

Can't believe you got the Definitive Auto Patch/3 from Steve. I feel compelled to get a box now and gamble for the 1/1. Great card, Greg.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2018 8:47AM

I mean, with eBay bucks could not go wrong on this one. Gets the "HE" or .5 designation from me.

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I picked up this decently centered 1958 Topps card of Raymond Berry.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

DM23HOF- I had that Brett on my watch list. Can't beat the centering, I agree could
    easily be an 8.5
    Nice pickup!

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Arsenal83 said:
    Pretty happy about this one's centering. Any chance for bump on it?

Great card, but IMO, no. While the RL centering is fantastic, the TB is not. I don't think the corners are strong enough for a full grade bump either.

• Options

@alifaxwa2 said:
    Not my usual team, but I couldn't resist. Will look great with my personalized Mantle ball.

Best looking baseball picture EVER! Congrats on the pickup.

Tim
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

After "cold-calling" Canadian sellers of OPC baseball for the last decade, it finally paid off. I was able to acquire Frank's first promotional card (sheet) as my first pick up of 2018.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    HalonutHalonut Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 9:11PM

Picked up this Brian Downing RC blank back proof for $35 after 6% eBay bucks

• Options
    HalonutHalonut Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 9:12PM

Double post

• Options

@Halonut said:

Picked up this Brian Downing RC blank back proof for $35 after 6% eBay bucks

Great pickup. Downing was my favorite player. I have a probably a dozen of his rookies, two dozen signed cards, and 15 or so game used bats of his.

• Options

Just picked this up tonight.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Downing and Schmidt! Congrats, gents!

Arthur

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2018 7:07AM

A nice 1 of 1 :

• Options

Wow beautiful card!!

@Odessafile said:
    A nice 1 of 1 :

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2018 7:15AM

@Dand522612 ~ Thanks!...I got it a bit ago and just got it reholdered...feels like a brand new card with new Emblem...gotta say the new holder is really a much better foot forward for PSA.... ITs far more elegant with just the colorful emblem alone.