Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

January 2018 Pickups Thread!

Comments

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

Not for nothing but Larry Doby had more 100 RBI seasons than Mickey Mantle...5 to 4.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    @Dand522612 ~ Thanks!...I got it a bit ago and just got it reholdered...feels like a brand new card with new Emblem...gotta say the new holder is really a much better foot forward for PSA.... ITs far more elegant with just the colorful emblem alone.

honestly, I would rather pay a little more for a card in the lighthouse label when buying on ebay vs the old holder. I love them. here was my mail day yesterday.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I bit my tongue on the "Collecting goals for 2018" thread because I didn't want to jinx my chances at acquiring some upgrades to my Bob Lilly basic and master sets in 2018. I was very fortunate to land both of these, one arrived yesterday and the other today. The purchase experience for each was totally different. For the 1963 it was months of back and forth negotiations. For the 1971 I emailed the seller and bang, deal was done. Funny how that goes sometimes...

The 1963 is so tough - no 10's and nine 9's. There was a 9 graded last summer - I'd love to see what it looks like as I'm tickled with this 8.5:

The new lighthouse label is really growing on me.

• Options

@dictoresno said:
    honestly, I would rather pay a little more for a card in the lighthouse label when buying on ebay vs the old holder. I love them. here was my mail day yesterday.

Agree with you re: the lighthouse label. I'm becoming a big fan of it. Very nice items, congrats!

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Arsenal83 said:
    Just picked this up tonight.

Outstanding card.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

added Kent Hrbek TTM on these two signed photos

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

Had the pleasure of meeting Bucky Dent the other evening at a banquet and had sign a few things (the locker nameplate is from the visiting clubhouse in old County Stadium in Milwaukee):

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@prgsdw said:

@dictoresno said:

Agree with you re: the lighthouse label. I'm becoming a big fan of it. Very nice items, congrats!

thanks. yea, I don't mind paying a little higher just to have it vs even the previous gen holo label. its almost like the slabs feel thinner even though they aren't.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@prgsdw said:
    I bit my tongue on the "Collecting goals for 2018" thread because I didn't want to jinx my chances at acquiring some upgrades to my Bob Lilly basic and master sets in 2018. I was very fortunate to land both of these, one arrived yesterday and the other today. The purchase experience for each was totally different. For the 1963 it was months of back and forth negotiations. For the 1971 I emailed the seller and bang, deal was done. Funny how that goes sometimes...

The 1963 is so tough - no 10's and nine 9's. There was a 9 graded last summer - I'd love to see what it looks like as I'm tickled with this 8.5:

Wow!!! That 63 Lilly and 71 are stunning. Congrats.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2018 2:53PM

My latest sub returned home today. Here are the ones that I didn't post in my two other break threads. Overall pretty happy. The Eichel YGs Exclusive is now a Pop 4 and I subbed and still have two of them. Even though I hate the Leafs Matthews is an US born player and a local product too so I figured I had to get one of his YGs. The Global Chirography at least makes me feel better with the Stars and Stripes on it. Kind of wish that was the 10 instead.

Kevin

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2018 8:02PM

11x14

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 4:00PM

My manager was Rogers Hornsby and he called me a talking pile of pig shlt and that was when my parents had driven all the way down just to see me play the game! And did I cry? No! Do you know why?

:)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 7:44PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    My manager was Rogers Hornsby and he called me a talking pile of pig shlt and that was when my parents had driven all the way down just to see me play the game! And did I cry? No! Do you know why?

:)

Just found the film on Ovation, saw that scene 5 minutes ago.

Love it

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 5:26PM

That's a really good looking card Steve.

So close to a 9 buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 7:11AM

This goes right into my 1969 football collection. A clean and centered PSA 9 of this linebacker from the Doomsday Defense.

• Options

Very nice Edwards. Love the Cowboy Joe logo on those 69s. Congrats!

• Options

More Judge pick ups from the weekend. Loving the 80's throwbacks

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I picked up 2 more 52Ts - nicely centered - tough IMO.

Jack Phillips - Pirates

9 years in the MLs - Pitt, NY and Detroit - lifetime .283 BA, 9 HRs.

Did get a few ABs in the '47 WS with the Yanks - unfortunately 0 for the series.

Walt Dropo - Boston

13 yr career - starting with Boston and ending with Baltimore - well travelled with nice stats - .270 lifetime BA, 152 HR's.

1950 AL ROY, and AS.

Mike, those are two incredibly nice looking 52's. Well done!! Congrats.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stone those 52s are nothing short of mesmerizing

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 8:36PM

I agree those 1952s are stunning. They present perfectly. I love paging through old sets and finding noteworthy stats— for good or bad performances, lol. Appreciate the write-ups.

Had these two new additions on the desk all day. I am so impressed with the patch card. It reminds me of Paul Allen's business card, the subtle, tasteful thickness of it.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I picked up 2 more 52Ts - nicely centered - tough IMO.

Jack Phillips - Pirates

9 years in the MLs - Pitt, NY and Detroit - lifetime .283 BA, 9 HRs.

Did get a few ABs in the '47 WS with the Yanks - unfortunately 0 for the series.

Walt Dropo - Boston

13 yr career - starting with Boston and ending with Baltimore - well travelled with nice stats - .270 lifetime BA, 152 HR's.

1950 AL ROY, and AS.

Mike - awesome pickups and those are sweet!

KC

• Options

Thanx guys - very kind.

Mike
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

@Dand522612 said:

@linunxabuser said:
    @Dand522612 Nice card! I think the ding in the side by Hank's left sleeve will prevent it from getting an 8

Thanks, yes saw that and one corner appears a bit weak. Maybe send in for review with minimum grade of 7? 7.5? I like it no matter what as it presents well.

You decide against the review since it is up on Ebay again?

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Debating, I really like the card and it is in the 7-7.5 8 land. Something else did come up that I am interested in and need to sell a few items. If it does not sell for what I want/need then yes it will take a trip out west.

@rounding3rd said:

@Dand522612 said:

@linunxabuser said:
    @Dand522612 Nice card! I think the ding in the side by Hank's left sleeve will prevent it from getting an 8

Thanks, yes saw that and one corner appears a bit weak. Maybe send in for review with minimum grade of 7? 7.5? I like it no matter what as it presents well.

You decide against the review since it is up on Ebay again?

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful 52' Topps cards Mike. Very nice!!

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat ~ question.....Would u rather have this gorgeous card in the holder you have it in(BGS 9.5) or in a PSA GEM MINT 10 holder?

• Options

Depends on the subs. With all subs above 9.5 and with (2) 10's I think the BGS 9.5 is more valuable than a PSA 10. If subs were 9's and 9.5's I would say a PSA 10. I bought this in a private sale and paid more than a BGS 9.5 average price, but IMO it is worth it - .5 away from a BGS 10.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 7:18PM

@KendallCat said:
    Depends on the subs. With all subs above 9.5 and with (2) 10's I think the BGS 9.5 is more valuable than a PSA 10. If subs were 9's and 9.5's I would say a PSA 10. I bought this in a private sale and paid more than a BGS 9.5 average price, but IMO it is worth it - .5 away from a BGS 10.

I think with 2 access points that seem relatively possible (.5 away), this is a must review for BGS to see if you can slide in the 10. I mean seriously who could tell the difference between 9.5 and 10 on one subgrade 4 out of 5 times. Try it.

• Options

That is the plan at the Natty - worth getting it reviewed and if one of those 9.5's becomes a 10 :o

• Options

I now have the starting lineup for the 1972 Cubs and a few of the starting pitchers. This was a decent Cubs team that went 85-70 but took 2nd place. The Pirates took first.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't bought many cards in the last few weeks. I did upgrade and/or add these to sets I'm working on.
    James

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just arrived in the mail

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Just picked up my 10th PSA 10 Update Trout.

• Options

Continuing on with my 1969 Football Set. It took me a long time to find a card of Craig Morton that I liked. I didn't realize that every one of his 1969 cards (I think all of them) have this red line that runs through his face. I've never seen one that doesn't have this flaw. I thought this PSA 7 was nicely centered.

• Options

Hiya Manny

Good to see you buddy.

Those are really nice.

Did you pick up any of the original artwork on those?

Refresh my memory. Wasn't this set more of a "test" set?

Mike
  • Options

@yoda99 said:
    Continuing on with my 1969 Football Set. It took me a long time to find a card of Craig Morton that I liked. I didn't realize that every one of his 1969 cards (I think all of them) have this red line that runs through his face. I've never seen one that doesn't have this flaw.

Nice cards! I agree, I've never seen one that did not have the print line. I had a PSA 9 and raw copy that both had it.

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

These are from this past week. Although I largely target centered cards for this set, sometimes I sacrifice on the centering in favor of nicer corners and a clearer picture while still keeping the cost down by going lower grade. This Ted Williams card struck me due to the especially clear and focused image of Ted's face. I haven't seen that very often with this particular issue.

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Sweet cards and look at all them 73 comics! Sweet!

aconte

• Options

These two guys just look so nice in their new slabs and they arrived about 15 minutes ago...

1935 Wheaties Series 1 - Lou Gehrig

1937 Wheaties - Series 7 - Joe DiMaggio

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited January 26, 2018 11:59AM

got to just love the pink for bob gibson , picked this up today at the card store down the road from my doc

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Wheaties panels look great in the SGC holders!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Those Wheaties panels look great in the SGC holders!

Thanks - I love the Gehrig. As I have said, I could have trimmed it for a 'better grade' but I have never seen one this clean with the entire frame at the time I bought it. Or since...

• Options
    justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

• Options
    edited January 26, 2018 5:27PM

they arn't cards but picked these up tonight at value village

• Options
    HalonutHalonut Posts: 78 ✭✭

Upgraded my OPC Downing RC, picked it up for roughly $10 dlvd

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent wacky pack acquisitions: