Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dennis - Fantasy coin, eh? Someone is going to get in trouble.

Jon - Here's the only choice AU 95-O that I've seen. Jim made a great find, and you'll have to get in line to get it if he ever decides to sell (which is unlikely), PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I was looking at some of my sets and realized that I have some of the coins missing in the Everyman Barber Dime set. So I added the coins I have and went from #5 to #3. It pays to pay attention. :)

Congrats!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    I was looking at some of my sets and realized that I have some of the coins missing in the Everyman Barber Dime set. So I added the coins I have and went from #5 to #3. It pays to pay attention. :)

Congrats!

I need to do some serious work on this set. ;)

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Bump with a better date quarter 1907s.
    Still raw as purchased a few years ago, haven't seen fit to slab it as the prices of these will seemingly not soon come in line with its scarcity for some reason.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

@dogwood said:
    Still raw as purchased a few years ago, haven't seen fit to slab it as the prices of these will seemingly not soon come in line with its scarcity for some reason.

That's a beautiful '07 S- perhaps a 53? I agree it's a TOUGH date- try and find a decent one. I've been looking.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grade that sucker and price it for what you think it is worth! Someone will buy it!

@dogwood said:

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dogwood said:
    ... as the prices of these will seemingly not soon come in line with its scarcity for some reason.

I've noticed deflated prices too. Seeing better, quality coins coming up for sale and prices at reduced rates than what I typically would pay. Is it because the stock market is going like gangbusters? you would think world debt would raise the base value of gold and silver soon.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

I paid up BIG for this Dime.......

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I paid up BIG for this Dime.......

Congratulations on the pick up, Dimeman, she is a true and uncommon beauty! On balance I suspect you may not have too many actual misgivings about the price. For what it's worth, though, I missed her by a matter of minutes, having run out the clock engaged in an internal debate about the premium involved. I'll be turning around that decision for awhile... Moral of the story: don't kick tires when opportunity knocks. Well done on an exceptional pick up!

• Options

Dennis - The 07-S qtr is one of the toughest of the tough IMO. I'd suggest getting it slabbed.

Tim - I've noticed some deflated prices as well, but usually for average for the grade, non keys or semi-keys. The tough stuff, or coins with wonderful originality seem fully priced.

Jon - Paying up for a stellar coin is always worth it. Congratulations.

Pics for this PM, newp into my collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    Dennis - The 07-S qtr is one of the toughest of the tough IMO. I'd suggest getting it slabbed.

Tim - I've noticed some deflated prices as well, but usually for average for the grade, non keys or semi-keys. The tough stuff, or coins with wonderful originality seem fully priced.

Jon - Paying up for a stellar coin is always worth it. Congratulations.

Pics for this PM, newp into my collection, PC45:

That '08 S Quarter looks like a 53 to me; what am I missing?

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 08-S is a half Jeff. I agree a little under graded. It’s a tough coin to find nice

• Options

My bad...... Way under in my opinion.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2017 5:46PM

Jon, Sweet dime.

Vern, Love the look of your '08-S half. Nice pick-up!

That '92-S came in. Tried to improve the pics...

All letters of LIBERTY show...

• Options

Jeff. Way under is probably accurate. It will be interesting what it grades if Vern decides to crack it out. Look at the 96-S in my set and let me know what you think. I think it should upgrade if I send it in. Thanks
    Jim

• Options

I think the new 08-S half could make 50, but I like it just fine in the 45 holder, as I'm really trying to just have 40 and 45 halves in my partial set.

Pics for this PM, newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@No Headlights said:
    Jeff. Way under is probably accurate. It will be interesting what it grades if Vern decides to crack it out. Look at the 96-S in my set and let me know what you think. I think it should upgrade if I send it in. Thanks
    Jim

I think it should be in a 53 holder. If it was in the grading room on Christmas Eve it would go in a 55 holder.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2017 2:03PM

Another acquisition. Wholesome 1910-D quarter in PC45:

• T

• Options

Tim - Nice find of an underrated date.

Pics for this PM, stellar newp into Jim's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2017 1:44PM

Wow Vern, Jim got a beaut. there! '14-P halves looking like that will ALWAYS be a good pick-up.

Since I have been lately "graduating" a bit from VF to XF for another partial quarter set, here is a recent addition to my collection... an '02-S in PC40:

Taking advantage of some recently good value out there.

• T

• Options

That's a really nice looking '02 S Quarter, Tim!

• Options

Thanks Tim
    14-P halves are available , but not too often looking like this one. There are a couple other unattractive 58s on the market. I feel fortunate to snag this one. Like your 02-S quarter
    Merry Christmas to everyone!!

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

testing 1-2-3

More coins, less government.
  • Options

What is your favorite coin for / from 2017? Whether it is something you acquired or saw on this blog that intrigued you?

• Options

Tim - Nice pick up on your 02-S. As I recall, one of the last dates I found for my VF/XF set. My favorite barber for 2017 has to be Jim's 95-O dime in PC55. What a great coin, plus it has a story (as detailed in a seperate thread).

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987605/why-wouldnt-this-1895-o-dime-cac-now-with-the-answer#latest

Paesan - Testing?

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vern, I had drafted a comment and I could not delete it. I could only edit and post to get rid of it.

Milo, I like that 96 quarter a lot!

I don't know if I got it in 2017, but my 01-O in 58 from Vern and Doug is probably my most recent favorite.

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Paesan, thanks, finding a nice 96 in 58 is not that easy, but I'm happy with this one in 55.

My most recent fav is definitely the 08-S in 58 from Vern and Doug. As Vern described Jim's 1914 half above, I consider this 08-S quarter "stellar" as well. Thank you again Vern!!

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2017 10:36AM

Here is my favorite Barber post in 2017... totally unreal!!! ..... Oct. 27th...

@PonyExpress8 said:
    I haven't posted or been on in ages other then Mike's passing. Miss him a lot.
    But in his spirit he would have like this. So here's something fun and different. A Barber Cent! One of the handful of patterns out there thats rather fun. One of the things I like about it is the clean uncluttered look with just the United States of America letters and a single Roman Numeral I.
    Of course I liked 1837 half dimes and dimes too (along with the 1838-O's) for the same reason. Now days there is so much writing and lettering you can't enjoy the designs themselves.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

• Tim G.

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

Here is MY favorite Barber post of 2017.

How one forgets about squirreling away a coin like this is beyond me! This beauty would be one of the centerpieces of my collection. Not only is the coin spectacular looking (well, at least to ME it is), but it's in the right holder as well. I just love the Old No Line Fatties for some reason. Maybe it's the simplicity. Who knows!

Dave, you ready to sell this one to me yet? {wink, smile}

@Dave99B said:
    Last night I was looking through some random Barber Quarters I'd tucked away for many years. Entirely forgot about this old boy, which bought at a coin show in Bellevue, WA over 25 years ago (David Lawrence).

NGC MS63. Bought this for the color alone.

Have a great day!
    Dave

PS My photography skills, while improving, are semi-terrible. It's WAY more colorful than my images depict.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

Love the 93-S Quarter, but I would cross it to PCGS in a heartbeat.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Cary - I'll keep you I mind should I sell the 93-S! She's sparkly! I do need to get her crossed one of these days.

Merry Christmas to all -
    Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2017 12:57PM

@MFH said:
    Dogs are in a Vet's kennel.
    Too many variables to talk about.

This was my favorite post of the year- Mike's last. It gave me hope that he might recover.

• Options

@Labelman87 said:
    It is with a heavy heart and much sadness that I must report the death of Mike Hayes this morning. He was a great friend to many of us and I can't begin to tell how much I will miss him. I really don't know what to say but I wished to let everyone know this terrible news.

This is very difficult.

This was my least favorite post of the year.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@Labelman87 said:
    It is with a heavy heart and much sadness that I must report the death of Mike Hayes this morning. He was a great friend to many of us and I can't begin to tell how much I will miss him. I really don't know what to say but I wished to let everyone know this terrible news.

This is very difficult.

This was my least favorite post of the year.

I agree Jeff. Mike was a great friend and FUN won't be the same this year without him. My last time spent with him was last year's FUN and celebrating his 70th birthday. This is very hard for me. I will miss the kidding back and forth we had about how old we were.

• Options

On a better note....here is my latest Barber Dime variety.

• Options

I just added this 1916 to my Everyman set.

• Options

Just added this Dime to my Everyman set....PCGS58. Another Dime I paid up BIG for.

• Options

Jeff - Couldn't agree more. RIP Mike.

Jon - Congrats on the additions.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's No Headlights collection, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Jeff - Recd the latest BCCS journal today. Congratulations on having your halves in the centerfold.

Pics for this PM, newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Congratulations Jeff
    Vern. Your article was great.

• Options

The Journal hasn't made it to Florida yet- thanks for letting me know my Halves are in there.

I picked up a 1903 O PCGS AU 55 Dime this week:

I'm not sure, but I believe this might have both a repunched date and mintmark, but not published varieties. I need to get some close-up photos to verify.

• Options

Jeff - Nice 03-O. I don't think that is a RPD or RPM. But maybe a MPD...I think I see something in the dentils under the 3.

• Options

Jeff, I really like the dime. Great find!

• Options

Great Journal! Merry Christmas everyone! from Tiny Tim

• Options

Jon- here are enlarged photos of my new '03 O date and mintmark:

At the date I'm wondering if there's re-punching in the loop of the "9"? At the mintmark I think I see re-punching on the left inside loop. Your thoughts?

• Options

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Jeff - Nice 03-O dime pick-up. I'm not seeing the RPD or RPM, but pics are never as good as viewing in hand.

Pics for this AM, beautiful (IMO) newp into Milo's second set, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas all!

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Merry Christmas all you Barbernuts!! Hope all has been and continues to be well for each and every one of ya!! Sure miss talking to Mike sigh.....

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

I believe Mile's legacy lives through the rest of us here. He empowered us to "carry on".

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa so true bro. He was a mentor to me with a endless supply of knowledge, character and so much more

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file