Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 11:47PM

Uh oh... dabbling in half dollars. Even though these are more common P dates, I felt they were too nice to not pick-up. What grade of VF would you think our hosts would assign to each of these two specimens? These just arrived in the mail...

1902-P VF - raw form from the wild:

1909-P VF - raw form from the wild:

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim - Low leaves variety, I love it. I'll pass that along to Keith the next time I talk to him. He doesn't go online much, and I'm sure, has never been on this forum. To those outside our little group in Baltimore, it's a joke about a Flying Eagle Cent Keith bought a few months ago.

Paesan - Rock Star, you're killing me also.

Tim - Congrats on a couple of nice wholesome halves. I'd say both would go 25 or 30.

Thanks to all on their thoughts on the 09-S half. I think our hosts will give it a little boost as it's such a nice original coin and put it in a 40 slab, Market grading in a positive way, I'd say. We won't find out until next spring, as I'm sure I won't submit anything until after I get back to Illinois next March.

Pics for this AM, another newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sedulous
    1902=Vf25
    1909=Vf30

• Options

Pics for this PM, newp into my collection (thanks Jim), PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2017 9:31PM

Vern, I like your 1895-O Half Dollar. I think it would be correct to say that the foggy-ness in a few places in the picture is due to a bit of haze on the holder and not the coin. Congrats on the pick-up from Jim.

I was wondering if any of you might give me your opinion on this... do you think this 1906-P quarter would get into a 3rd Party Holder without 'Details' on the insert?

Thanks, - T

• Options

If it does they will probably net it to a best a 20. Personally I have seen both sides of the scale as to what they will let pass and what they will not.....alias some in details holder that were not nearly as bad as some in straight graded holders.

@sedulous said:
    Vern, I like your 1895-O Half Dollar. I think it would be correct to say that the foggy-ness in a few places in the picture is due to a bit of haze on the holder and not the coin. Congrats on the pick-up from Jim.

I was wondering if any of you might give me your opinion on this... do you think this 1906-P quarter would get into a 3rd Party Holder without 'Details' on the insert?

Thanks, - T

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, Not trying to be a smart ass, but why submit that coin? Even if you succeed in having it graded, I can't possibly see an up side.

Vern, great coin! Tough to pry Jim's fingers off it?

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2017 11:30AM

Lenny, My weird way of thinking is if a coin is holder-able, then it is worth keeping. If it would not holder, I should divest from it. All along, I did not plan to 3rd party holder this '06-P quarter but assess its value in regards to grading and subsequently whether to keep the coin. Culling the herd. Thanks for the feedback!

Tim

• Options

You will find the majority of collectors including myself would pass on a coin with a scratch like that(especially in the prime focal area)...graded or not.

@sedulous said:
    Lenny, My weird way of thinking is if a coin is holder-able, then it is worth keeping. If it would not holder, I should divest from it. All along, I did not plan to 3rd party holder this '06-P quarter but assess its value in regards to grading and subsequently whether to keep the coin. Culling the herd. Thanks for the feedback!

Tim

• Options

Tim, I want to politely disagree. Not all coins in holders are worth keeping. In the case of a lower grade, common date coin, the cost to submit it will exceed its value, and they probably won't grade it. I'd pop it in an album.

• Options

Lenny, I agree you should always desire or shoot for quality within a grade. In fact, I would hope you would see from a number of my previous posts that I am sometimes successful and do find quality-looking specimens from time-to-time (howbeit at lower price levels / grades than where you typically operate at). Somewhat a bottom-feeder, I do take gambles at times to try and unearth value. The '06-P example here, perhaps not so much but $-levels are low. Other cases, like a recent '20-D Buffalo 5c in AU58 or the '97-S 10c acquisition (shown in this thread earlier) that ended up grading PC25, I get a serious plus side of value vs. what I paid for them. For me? I guess it comes down to how much the item originally costs (acquisition costs) vs. the value the item can sell for whether it is: with or without holdering. If the $ delta gap is large, who cares? the work is to have more +'s than -'s in value unearthing at a higher level to make the time worthwhile... its all relative profit summation increase and you move on.

I wasn't holdering in this case but I tend to believe a coin is more saleable if someone figures they could holder eventually - if that downstream person ever does decide they wanted to holder/3rd party grade.

In the case of this specific coin, acquisition costs were low and would fluctuate closer to the price of silver... and from your response, even at low acquisition, perhaps this gamble will be a wash.

Thanks! - T

• Options

Tim, I really like a lot of the coins you post, and I definitely take some chances on coins as well. I wasn't trying to be overall critical. Just trying to save you thirty bucks!
    Paesan

• Options

Tim - Yes, the plastic is not the best on the 95-O half slab. Also, I think it's a 50/50 luck of the draw on whether your '06 quarter will straight grade (I agree with Darrell).

Paesan - Lucky for me that Jim found a higher grade 95-O, so this one became available. Also, pleased to say his 13-S half in 45 is coming back home to me this Sunday, when he, Doug, Milo and I get together in Iowa. What a great hobby.

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2017 7:00AM

This issue brings out a good topic. Without revealing amounts as a necessary for your story, what are some amazing coins you picked up very reasonably but has a likely potential of realizing great value for you when a decision comes to selling? it could be recent pick-ups or something that has increased in value over time? For instance, I know a '09-O quarter bought 10 years ago might be in this category! LOOKING FOR LARGER DELTA $ VALUES BETWEEN PURCHASE AND CURRENT VALUE.

• Options

Thought this would be interesting. The 1st 09-S I posted is my VF35. Keith's Obv. is stronger. The 2nd 09-S is my XF40....clearly stronger than Keith's. Keith's falls right between the 2 IMHO so I grade it VF37.5! :#

@barberkeys said:
    Darrell - Thanks for putting the pics with your 45 set. Now, only a few more collections to go.

Pics for this AM, raw newp from Baltimore from my friend Keith. Anyone care to guess what our hosts will call it?

• Options

Darrell, What an EXCELLENT training blog with the '09-S half. You get my thumbs up!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a cool method of comparison. I still bet it’s a 40 by today’s grading. Getting a small bump for nice originality. Darrell, your 40 is a classic strong 40.

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Milo's collection is looking better and better. The 94-O is just right!

...And, if I may, something to hold onto for as long as I can, (a Mike "relative" date). I've had it for several years!

Craig

• Options
    edited December 2, 2017 10:33AM

I can see that coin going either way depending on what mood the graders are in the day they see it!

PS If it comes back a 35 I would love to improve my 35 if you decide to part with it!

@No Headlights said:
    That’s a cool method of comparison. I still bet it’s a 40 by today’s grading. Getting a small bump for nice originality. Darrell, your 40 is a classic strong 40.

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    Darrell - Thanks for putting the pics with your 45 set. Now, only a few more collections to go.

Pics for this AM, raw newp from Baltimore from my friend Keith. Anyone care to guess what our hosts will call it?

I still think it will 35 then easily CAC green sticker. Above all, what a quality coin! one where you don't really care what grade it comes back as! Even at 35, it will easily 40 price out.

• Options

Wow! I am inspired by your stamina and completion focus Darrell!

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Interesting on 1909 halves. Some of you probably know but I believe the master die was "strengthened" in 1909 as the area of Liberty stands up more on 1909 and later halves. I have long held the belief this a type 3 obverse after comparing a lot of pre-1909 vs. 1909 to the end of the series and looking at the overall details. As a result there is a tendency to undergrads earlier coins vs overgrading those from 1909 on. Love to hear others thoughts on this.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options

Glenn, How do you explain the difference in strengths of the 09's reverse vrs. the later years? The 09 is the only date you truly have to grade by the reverse.

@PonyExpress8 said:
    Interesting on 1909 halves. Some of you probably know but I believe the master die was "strengthened" in 1909 as the area of Liberty stands up more on 1909 and later halves. I have long held the belief this a type 3 obverse after comparing a lot of pre-1909 vs. 1909 to the end of the series and looking at the overall details. As a result there is a tendency to undergrads earlier coins vs overgrading those from 1909 on. Love to hear others thoughts on this.

• Options

I have 3 AU58 Barber Half's! One is a +

Wanna participate here? https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/990932/which-of-these-3-au58-1915-barber-halfs-is-the-58#latest
    Should give an idea of what folks think a + should be!

• Options

Sent this 1899-P dime in over the weekend to our hosts in addition to the 1913 dime below (borderline high AU to low BU) and three earlier-date Buffalo nickels in MS:

1913-P. Looks like a rough planchet or strike. Sent it in for curiosity sake only.

Ok. My first time going off the reservation with the herd. In advance, please forgive my wandering:

• T

• Options
    edited December 4, 2017 3:59PM

Since I feel like I am meandering all over the place today... a recently picked-up and reasonable 1899- P Liberty Nickel, why not? Other than the field scratch or two, I thought it would be a nice V nickel as a starter. a few nice raw coins I think I will be happy with.

• Options

Happy Anniversary to me! I've reached my 20th anniversary as an ANA LM.

• Options

Where is everybody? Was hoping some of you guys would offer your opinions here before I reveal the answer!
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/990932/which-of-these-3-au58-1915-barber-halfs-is-the-58#latest

• Options

Tim - I can't remember the last time I bought a coin with the intention of turning it for a quick profit. Back in the 1990's that was sometimes the case, but now I pretty much only buy coins I want to keep.

Craig - Neat gold$1.

Darrell - Glad to see your 40 set.

Glenn - I'm not a student of barber halves enough to comment intelligently. I'll go with your opinion.

Darrell - As I just posted on your thread, I've given up on guessing which way our hosts will go on plus grades. I think it's just the whim of the day.

Tim - Congratulations of your 20th anniversary.

Had a wonderful time meeting with Doug, Jim, Milo and new acquaintance Alex in Iowa on Sunday. What a great hobby.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's No Headlight collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Jim keeps beautifully popping out those headlights! great job!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim
    No headlights allowed buddy. Hard to find 58s that aren’t headlights. But I don’t get hung up on that anyway. Some of my favorite Barbers are my XF coins such as my 96-O. I’ll never compete with Darrell.
    But that is half the fun. To each his own.
    Enjoy your posts.

• Options

I think Tim means it literally as in smack it with a hammer and knock it out...just watch out for flying glass! :#

@No Headlights said:
    Tim
    No headlights allowed buddy. Hard to find 58s that aren’t headlights. But I don’t get hung up on that anyway. Some of my favorite Barbers are my XF coins such as my 96-O. I’ll never compete with Darrell.
    But that is half the fun. To each his own.
    Enjoy your posts.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

What a strike on that 94P. Nice skin too.

• Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Great 94 half Jim, and wonderful photos by Vern! That's the way an AU58 barber should look!!

Doug

• Options

Jim, super 94 half in 58. All the half dollars you brought to show on Sunday were terrific!!

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options

@LogPotato said:
    What a strike on that 94P. Nice skin too.

Couldn't have said it better Justin (Doug too).

Darrell, Bingo. Popping out = (equals) breaking glass from me yelling at the top of my lungs how after seeing how fantastic Jim's half dollar is!

Vern, Once again, great picture!

• Options

Pics for this PM, newp into Milo's 100% Swede collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up an upgrade for my Barber Dime set a few weeks back, an 1898 O in an AU 58 holder:

I know, it was dipped at sometime, but it's not a headlight either.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Since I feel like I am meandering all over the place today... a recently picked-up and reasonable 1899- P Liberty Nickel, why not? Other than the field scratch or two, I thought it would be a nice V nickel as a starter. a few nice raw coins I think I will be happy with.

@sedulous said:

@sedulous said:

The 1899 Nickel looks like a RPD.> @JeffMTampa said:

I picked up an upgrade for my Barber Dime set a few weeks back, an 1898 O in an AU 58 holder:

I know, it was dipped at sometime, but it's not a headlight either.

Nice 98-O......a much better date than some realize. I found my PCGS58 in the raw years before PCGS existed.

• Options

Any Barber Dime guys out here know where I can fin a nice AU 95-O??

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Scary "fantasy coin" barber halves just put up on eBay.
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/1904-S-Barber-Liberty-Half-Dollar-silver-plate-MINT-non-currency-Fantasy-Coin/122852171474?epid=170498218&hash=item1c9a8f5ed2:g:dJsAAOSwmudaLBSq

Funny I don't see the word fantasy inscribed anywhere on them.
    The 1901s looks like a toned original heart-throb.
    Disconcerting.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2017 12:40PM

Dennis, Wow. That is just plain wrong. I pulled it up and the title starting with the word "Plate" doesn't show until I dig in to get more detail. I can't imagine how somebody can correctly bid with the knowledge of this being a fake.
    Sad it wasn't front and center in the first part of the title. Not readily visible to see / be aware it is a fantasy coin right off. Not right. Is it possible "fantasy" is on the edge of the coin? Still tricky in a 2 x 2

• Options

I think all of us, except Jim, have been asking that question!

• Options

Another recent acquisition... 1899-S quarter in PC45:

• Options

Another pick-up. An 1892-S quarter in raw F12 or so:

Fills a hole in my Wayte Raymond set.

• Options

Fixed it for ya! >:)

@sedulous said:
    Another pick-up. An 1892-S quarter in raw F12 or less:

Fills a hole in my Wayte Raymond set.

• Options

I was looking at some of my sets and realized that I have some of the coins missing in the Everyman Barber Dime set. So I added the coins I have and went from #5 to #3. It pays to pay attention. :)

• Options

Here is a very reasonably priced '12-S dime pick-up in AU:

• T

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file