Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas all!

• mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Merry Christmas all you Barbernuts!! Hope all has been and continues to be well for each and every one of ya!! Sure miss talking to Mike sigh.....

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Mile's legacy lives through the rest of us here. He empowered us to "carry on".

I love them Barber Halves.....

@JeffMTampa so true bro. He was a mentor to me with a endless supply of knowledge, character and so much more

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

@JeffMTampa so true bro. He was a mentor to me with a endless supply of knowledge, character and so much more

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Guys, I'm going to try and post an image.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Jon- here are enlarged photos of my new '03 O date and mintmark:

At the date I'm wondering if there's re-punching in the loop of the "9"? At the mintmark I think I see re-punching on the left inside loop. Your thoughts?

I think I see what you are seeing in the 9. The O does seem to have slight repunching inside the mm left.

Send it to Wiles and see what he thinks.

Just added these two Dimes to my Everyman set. The 1910 use to belong to Mike. I have several of his coins which means a lot to me.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Milo, Looks like you are coming up on your 40 year ANA anniversary. Congratulations!

Jeff and Jon, Fantastic dimes! '03-O looks like a recut on the 903 and I also see the extra O-edge inside the O.

Here is a recent AU dime pickup... 1907-D. I liked the toning on the reverse.

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

...Just read Vern's two pager on the BCCS highlighting Jim's 95-O dime and Doug's submissions with the age old reminder "buy the coin". A good reminder for all (new and 'experienced' collectors). Good job Vern.

Poor images highlighting the lesson (a 99-O in AU55)

Craig

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark - Good to hear from you again.

Pics for this PM, from Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    edited December 27, 2017 6:35PM

Paes, Vern, A lot of luster on that '08-S!

Somewhat worn '06-S dime... something going on around the S. Probably just a blob of material or something.

• T

Tim - Perhaps a couple of small hits on the die?

Pics for this PM, a beauty that belongs to Alex in Iowa (pics don't do it justice), PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Tim, thanks for your comment regarding my 40 year anniversary with the ANA. Hard to believe it has been that long. My grandfather who collected coins died in June, 1977. I then applied for membership in December, 1977. Funny, the main reasons why I wanted to join was to 1) honor my grandfather and 2) continue his run of The Numismatist. He became a member in 1942, and I got all of his magazines when he died, so I have a 75 year run of The Numismatist.

Something isn't quite working right with the images I'm trying to post, so bear with me if a post doesn't make sense. Thanks

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the memory theme, I have 4 halves I got directly from Mike from his VF set, plus a dozen or so from Holsonbake that I think mostly came from Mike, plus one I got from Bear. Two gone but not forgottens. On The Numismatist, I have a full set back to 1894 and reprints of the others. Some day I will learn to take pics, I have a daughter-in-law who is a professional photographer, but not me.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

@shorecoll said:
    In the memory theme, I have 4 halves I got directly from Mike from his VF set, plus a dozen or so from Holsonbake that I think mostly came from Mike, plus one I got from Bear. Two gone but not forgottens. On The Numismatist, I have a full set back to 1894 and reprints of the others. Some day I will learn to take pics, I have a daughter-in-law who is a professional photographer, but not me.

Holy Library and Information Science Batman!

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw the 1900-S quarter in person. It’s a rare beauty.

Just added this to my Everyman set.

Finally got around to taking a pic of my 1903-S Dime.

@erwindoc said:
    Here is my final Barber purchase for 2017! Hope you guys have a great time at FUN! Glenn, I really hope you good luck ;)

That's a BEAUTIFUL dime- but get rid of the scratches on the holder.

@DIMEMAN said:
    Finally got around to taking a pic of my 1903-S Dime.

Jon- that's a GREAT looking '03 S- a very tough date! I'm still looking.....

Having an internal (mental) debate... which is tougher? for Barber Quarters... 1902-O vs. 1902-S. Searching for an answer for (1) low to mid circulated grades like F to XF and (2) high-end AU to nice Uncirculated. What would be your thoughts or experiences on that? thanks.

Happy New Year by the way!

• T

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my experience the 02-S is much more difficult than the 02-O. At one point I had 4 02-O's in VF-XF in my inventory and can't remember the last 02-S I had!

@sedulous said:
    Having an internal (mental) debate... which is tougher? for Barber Quarters... 1902-O vs. 1902-S. Searching for an answer for (1) low to mid circulated grades like F to XF and (2) high-end AU to nice Uncirculated. What would be your thoughts or experiences on that? thanks.

Happy New Year by the way!

• T

My experience has been the '02 S is the tougher of the two dates. My set currently has an '02 O in AU 50 and a '02 S in XF 40 (both purchased raw).. I've been looking for upgrades for both dates.

edited January 1, 2018 10:39AM

Darrell, Jeff, Thanks for confirming what I expected. Good to know. That means things have changed a little from what Feigenbaum said in the 1990's...

1902-O: "Fairly scarce in circulated grades, very scarce in AU55 and above. Tougher to find than the 1903-O in F to EF, which has a lower mintage. Typical New Orleans strike - a bit soft over the forehead and on the eagle's claw. Like many O-mints, survivorship in high grades is poor. Undervalued in AU and most mint state grades. Even gems are worthy of serious consideration at today's levels." (R3 in VF-XF; R5 in High AU to Unc)

1902-S: "Low mintage in the middle of the series make this a scarce coin. At least as scarce as the 1902-O in circulated grades, but more available in mint state. Comes well struck with nice luster. Sometimes proof-like and sometimes with planchet striations. Underrated in Fine through MS63. In fact, Fines currently sell for just a few dollars over common and they are worth far more." (R3+ in VF-XF; R4 in High AU to Unc)

Per Feigenbaum's text above, the '02-O and '02-S were roughly in a similar vein / challenge for acquisition. In the past, the '02-S was slightly harder to find in mid-circulated grades but easier to acquire in higher AU to uncirculated grades. Today? it seems there is a widening toughness gap with the '02-S being more scarce. Ron Guth's assessment: "The 1902-S quarter is an extremely elusive issue in the Barber series."

• T

Nice looking dimes, gents.

Tim - I agree with Jeff & Darrell, 02-S at both grade ranges.

Pics for this PM, newp into Milo's collection, PC55:

Hope everyone has a happy and healthy New Year.

Vern
    l
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Missed our buddy Mike so much extra this Christmas, still weird to not get a jabbing text from him everyday, like a member of my family. I come back on here now and then to read posts and see barbers. Keeps his spirit alive.

@valente151 said:
    Missed our buddy Mike so much extra this Christmas, still weird to not get a jabbing text from him everyday, like a member of my family. I come back on here now and then to read posts and see barbers. Keeps his spirit alive.

I know what you mean.......FUN won't be the same this year. :(

Mike V - Good to see your post. Mike's spirit will always be with us on the mega-thread.

Pics for this PM, a rarity from Mike's August 2011, Heritage sale, PC55:

Vern
    l

Today would have been Mike Hayes Birthday. Happy Birthday, Buddy. :'(

@JeffMTampa said:
    Today would have been Mike Hayes Birthday. Happy Birthday, Buddy. :'(

Yes, I know, Last year Joe (Beancounter) and I celebrated his 70th with him. It won't be the same without him. Do you know if Joe with be at FUN?

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:
    For a very, very long time Barbers were my primary collecting focus. Then several years ago I expanded my interests to include all different types of classic coins. But even though I've diversified, Barbers still hold a special place in my heart. I guess you could say, I have a "love-hate relationship" with them.

There are days I truly despise the coins....

- Days I realize there are so many tough dates that I will probably never have an opportunity to acquire.
    - Days I remember that there is too much competition with well-to-do collectors and dealers for me to be able to put together the type of sets I would love to be able to assemble.
    - Days I lament the fact that it's insanely difficult to find truly great examples at reasonable prices.

Then there are days that I truly love the coins...

- Days that I get to see photos of Vern's amazing set of quarters (would LOVE to see that set in person).
    - Days that I get to see "surprises" like the 93-S quarter that @Dave99B posted a while back.
    - Days that @DIMEMAN posts a rare Barber dime die variety that I never even knew existed.
    - Days that @JeffMTampa posts some raw find that has me scratching my head as to how the coin wasn't in a holder yet.
    - Or days that I am able to acquire coins like this one:

Do any of you share my "love-hate relationship" with Barbers? Or am I alone in that sentiment?

That really deserves a "You Suck!"

Frank

BHNC #203

edited January 4, 2018 12:02PM

Wow will this be a fun winter tinkering project - seeing if the solder is removable off of this otherwise high-end AU 1899-S quarter! How unfortunate this happened. Was acquired for near nil $ so no financial hit:

Allen, www.crs-stockton.com says $100. for him to do his type of work over 9 months (more heavy-handed by reshaping denticles and retoning) so not a choice to me.

• T

Tim - Should be interesting.

Pics for this AM, another qtr from Mike's 2011 Auction, PC58:

Vern
    l

Hope to see some of you Barber guys tomorrow at the PCGS Luncheon. :)

I’m in line!

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

...Another from Mike's 2011 sale.

Craig

• DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Wish I could be in Tampa right now. It's 8 degrees where I am in Michigan. Oh, and I really miss Mike, too.

Dr. Pete

I'm back home from FUN- it was a 15 minute drive.

I displayed my Barber Half set in the competitive Exhibit area- my first attempt. I missed the mark on what the judges were looking for (a very Numismatic focused presentation) and wasn't awarded any prize, but it was a very educational and fun experience for me. This was the first time I saw my coins together in one setting, it was nice to see. My coins live their life in blue boxes inside a vault; I'll bet it was nice for them to get out for a while as well.

I spent a lot of time at the BCCS table with friends, but I did get a chance to walk the floor and find a few Barber goodies. I'm hoping to complete my XF/ AU dime set in 2018 (we'll see), and managed to find an upgrade for the '01 O VF 35 in my set- a AU 50:

I know the coin lacks the charm we would all like to see, but it's not an easy date to find. Someday I'll find the right one, but for now it's part of the team.

• BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... it appears something about the FUN show and members here have caused Darrell enough personal grief that he is taking a hiatus from the forums. Anyone have the low-down?

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.

I saw Darrell there, but didn't get much of a chance to talk to him. The only real conversation we had is he's not as infatuated with the 58+ grades as he was now that PCGS seems to be giving them out like gumdrops.

Every time I looked over he had customers at his table and seemed to be busy. I don't have any insight; I hope I'm not part of the problem.

@JeffMTampa said:
    I'm back home from FUN- it was a 15 minute drive.

I displayed my Barber Half set in the competitive Exhibit area- my first attempt. I missed the mark on what the judges were looking for (a very Numismatic focused presentation) and wasn't awarded any prize, but it was a very educational and fun experience for me. This was the first time I saw my coins together in one setting, it was nice to see. My coins live their life in blue boxes inside a vault; I'll bet it was nice for them to get out for a while as well.

I spent a lot of time at the BCCS table with friends, but I did get a chance to walk the floor and find a few Barber goodies. I'm hoping to complete my XF/ AU dime set in 2018 (we'll see), and managed to find an upgrade for the '01 O VF 35 in my set- a AU 50:

I know the coin lacks the charm we would all like to see, but it's not an easy date to find. Someday I'll find the right one, but for now it's part of the team.

Jeff - It was nice to get to see you at FUN even though it was very short. I can't believe your Barber Half set didn't get a Frist place.....much less no place. I thought it was the best display there! It was a very well thought out way to display a GREAT set of Barber Halves. I didn't know you were looking for a nice 01-O Dime. I saw a REAL nice PCGS55 somewhere, but didn't need it so I passed it by. That is a tuff date. I saw a 1908-O in PCGS58, which is a date I need for the Everyman set. But when the dealer pulled it out for me to look at.......it wasn't very nice and had several black spots on it. So I am still looking. It's going to be VERY hard to compete with Joe's (Beancounter) set....it is truly a GREAT looking set!

John-

Thanks for seeking me out at FUN. I learned a lot about exhibiting at the event. The Judges are primarially looking for the numismatic educational content (words) rather than a nicely displayed set of coins. I have some ideas for next year......

I picked up a few Barber Quarters to help out my set. Here's my new 1902 O Quarter in a NGC AU 58 holder:

I believe this coin is nice enough to make it into a PCGS 58 holder, but I'll likely crack it out and submit it raw (because I don't have any other coins for crossover at the moment).

Wow Jeff, a lot to like about that '02-O!

Jeff - Sounds and looks like you had a very good FUN. My friend Glen, who has plenty of nice barbers himself, mentioned to me how much he liked your barber half exhibit.

Cary - Darrell doesn't post here every day, maybe he's just been busy.

Pics for this PM, now in Glen's collection (was Doug's), PC53:

Vern
    l

Thanks. I didn't see a single '02 S Quarter on the floor at FUN.

For anyone that didn't go to FUN I took photos of my Barber Half Exhibit. Please indulge my narcisism:

This was my first Exhibit; obviously I didn't know what the Judges were looking for. I thought the intent of the display was simply to show coins and relate them to a story. In my case, I chose to show new American innovations during the Barber years. Nothing too technical.

My presentation was a flop with the judges; they wanted a numismatic centered presentation with a lot of facts and detail. Quite dull for the masses, but great for serious collectors. Oh well, at least I had an opportunity to show off a complete Barber set to people that may not have seen it before. I had a good time putting it together and learned a lot!

Jeff, Are those glossy photographs with the coins like you would get off of a Kodak picture production machine? am I seeing those attached to some sort of styrofoam backing material? Did you need to "pre-rent" the display cases? Looks nice to me!

Yep, they were standard 4" X 6" photos dry mounted to black foam core board. The base was a 24" X 36" poster trimmed. FUN provided the cases at no charge, and I received a 1 oz. silver medal for participating!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file