Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thank you, Knuckles! (Updated Jan 8, 2013)

1235»

Comments

• Options

<< <i>How is one to know that these are legit ? Basically, I'm just taking the word of someone else, and in a somewhat corrupt business,
    isn't it just too risky to shell out the money for these things ? How have you wrestled with these thougths yourself ?

It's just not wise to just get all giddy that these things are available, and go buy them all without truly knowing that they are legit IMO.
    Have you heard about how Dave has obtained these ? >>

Marc Juteau, who runs Classic, is good at what he does. He has a pretty strong reputation in the hockey memorabilia world and gets many former players to sell through his website. So I would trust his judgement on what goes through his auctions. Classic works just like most other auction houses, which is through consignments, so if Marc doesn't believe it is real he won't sell it, at least that is my opinion. I have more confidence in what Marc does and know than I do with the authenticating companies.

But obviously you have to do your own homework, if possible. There are no "impossible" autographs that are being sold in the current auction, so can do your best to find exemplars to compare the autographs to. Dave, who I have talked to many times and have done business with, told me that his autographs came from a collector from Chicago that did most of his collecting in the 60s. Some of the autographs that Dave consigned are definitely tough, but you can find exemplars out there to compare them to. I believe I have every one of those autographs, so if you are interested in any of them let me know and I will try my best to send you an exemplar or you can just go back through this thread for most of them.

When dealing with autographs of deceased players, obviously there is some fear factor when buying. You have to try and do as much homework as possible and feel confident with the source. I deal with Classic pretty regularly and feel confident in everything I have gotten from them. I have gotten burned in the past (not by an auction house) and have tried to learn from those experiences. I have dealt with a couple private collectors lately and you definitely have to do your homework to make sure everything checks out.

It is tough to not get giddy when something big shows up, but by doing as much as you can to research things before you buy will at least make you fell more confident about the decisions you make.
    Thanks
    Sean

Always Looking for vintage hockey autographs

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've been collecting hockey autographs for more than 40 years and Dave Goodman's items look authentic to me. >>

And they look good to me for the most part as well. However, did anyone ever look at all the Wayne Gretzky autos on ebay
    and through WGA ? Many of these autos look so different. I'm sure if they all looked the same then someone would scream
    auto pen too.

I'm just saying that it's so hard to tell sometimes. Ken Dryden's auto in Seans collection looks suspicious to me, and Sean may
    have had him personally sign it in front of him. 80% of the time I see the K in Ken's first name connected. Sean's K is not connected.
    However, it may very well be a legit auto. All I'm saying is that it is just so hard to tell unless it comes from a check, legal document,
    or something like the Baker, etc. etc. >>

The Dryden was signed in his book "The Game." It was obtained during his bid for Parliament. I have seen his Ks connect and not connect and it does get tough sometimes because no one signs the same way 100% of the time.

And you still have to be wary of things like checks, as there are fake ones of those out there as well (guys like Eddie Shore and Ty Cobb).
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    I guess what it comes down to is if one is comfortable with the autograph, and one is comfortable with the price, then
    one is comfortable with his collection. Thanks for sharing your collection Sean. It really is a long labor of love for sure,
    and I will be bidding in the next classics auction thanks to you. Actually, I just placed my first bid today.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess what it comes down to is if one is comfortable with the autograph, and one is comfortable with the price, then
    one is comfortable with his collection. Thanks for sharing your collection Sean. It really is a long labor of love for sure,
    and I will be bidding in the next classics auction thanks to you. Actually, I just placed my first bid today. >>

Good luck. Again, if you need any help with exemplars please let me know.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    It's been awhile since there I made any updates, so I thought I would check in. Garret is in the process of making another 40-45 cards for me. By the end of these, he will have created somewhere are 175 cards for my collection. Also, I now have a website that displays my collection, including high resolution scans of the front and back of all the PSA/DNA authenticated cards. Please go check it out and let me know what you think.

The Broderick Collection-www.thebroderickcollection.com

Have a Happy Holiday season!
    Sean
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    I am speechless.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    WOW !! Great job Seanimage
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    ... inspirational ...
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    Great site for a great collection!!
  • Options
    That is amazing, just WOW!!!!
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    Absolutely Beautiful

Happy Holidays,

Keith
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Garret actually did the website as well, so I want to give him all the credit. He does an amazing job with both the cards and the website design and I am always looking forward to seeing what he does next.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    What do you think of this Horner? I thought it was legit but looking at yours I am not so sure now?
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>What do you think of this Horner? I thought it was legit but looking at yours I am not so sure now? >>

Personally, I would pass. It doesn't look like any Horner I have seen before. That being said, he wasn't the most consistent when he signed. But I don't ever remember seeing his "H" look like that or his last name so flat. It could be real, but I would shy away from
    it if I was buying one.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Well that stinks image
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Well that stinks image >>

Here is the first one that I have seen that is sort of similar to yours. It is from the 30s, so there is a chance that yours is real. Yours is in red ball point from the looks of it, so it would probably have to be from the late 40s on. I have not seen many Horners from after his playing career to probably the mid-90s, but yours may have come from that era. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Similar Horner
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Horner was one tough hombre when I was collecting. Thanks for the link.
    Do you collect the writers also? I have quite a few I would give you if you want.
    I used to write to all the papers for auto and was pretty successful.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    The only writers I have tried to collect thus far are the ones that are in the HOF as builders, but I have been considering starting to try and collect the writers/broadcasters in the Hall. I would definitely be interested if you could help me out with the autographs of the writers, that would be great! Please let me know what you need from me.

Also, if I have some time this week I will see what else I can find on Horner.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    It's been awhile since I've actually updated this thread, but I just got some cards back from Garret today and thought I would share his great work. The first picture is actually from a large set of cards he finished for me probably 1.5 years ago.

These are the cards that I received today in the mail.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    What he did turning the autographed card into a bigger card is awesome.

Stunning collection.
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    Some of the neatest things I've seen!
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    As usual, those are fantastic! Many of us a huge fans of Garret's work. Thanks for the update - good to see he's still producing cards for you.
  • Options

<< <i>What he did turning the autographed card into a bigger card is awesome.

Stunning collection. >>

I think the Laviolette could be my new favorite. The autographed card was glued into a book at one point and, as you can see, didn't fair well when someone removed it. But Garret did some amazing work with it.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

Stunning collection. >>

I think the Laviolette could be my new favorite. The autographed card was glued into a book at one point and, as you can see, didn't fair well when someone removed it. But Garret did some amazing work with it. >>

That is awesome! Can you post a close up of that one? I really like how he incorporated the card in his design!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Stunning collection. >>

I think the Laviolette could be my new favorite. The autographed card was glued into a book at one point and, as you can see, didn't fair well when someone removed it. But Garret did some amazing work with it. >>

That is awesome! Can you post a close up of that one? I really like how he incorporated the card in his design! >>

Here you go.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Patrick's Baxter cut reminded me of Knuckles and the work he's done for Sean. For those that haven't seen this thread, it's worth checking out. Some fantastic hockey history here, and some amazing work by Garret.
  • Options
    I was bummed when I found out that Sean had sold his collection and it's not available for viewing anymore.
    Collector Focus

• Options

Looks like a few of Sean's autographs are up for sale including the Vezina. I swear all these were in PSA holders? It stinks looking through this thread and none of the pictures saved!

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/catalog/The_Broderick_Autographed_Card_Collection-278-1.html

Collector Focus