Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thank you, Knuckles! (Updated Jan 8, 2013)

Comments

• Options
    Wow, this collection is intense. Thanks for the updates Sean. image

Any chance we could see a scan of the back of the Baker?

• Options

<< <i>Wow, this collection is intense. Thanks for the updates Sean. image

Any chance we could see a scan of the back of the Baker? >>

I don't have the design for the back on my computer. Garret might be able to post it. When we were discussing a design, we looked at both Tall Boy and regular sized. I think Garret sent me the Tall Boy back, but now that it is smaller, the design has changed.
    Thanks
    Sean

Always Looking for vintage hockey autographs

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Thanks fella's. image

- Garret
  • Options
    Really awesome project. I have enjoyed seeing it come along and that Stanley auto is just plain cool.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Here is the Baker and Dynamite Line with the backs.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I had always wanted to see a Walter Brown signature. That's awesome!!!
  • Options
    I have long admired the cards he creates and am never disappointed. But I think what I like best is the quick hockey history lesson on the backs. It makes the cards themselves into a great artifact. Many thanks to both of you for your generosity.
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    art
    history
    beautiful

just a few words about the quality here
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    It's been an honor to work with such autographs and I value the huge amount of trust and freedom Sean has given to me to create these for him, let alone the patience he has for how long it takes when things are at times hectic for me.

Thanks again for the flattering comments, I appreciate them everyone.

- Garret
  • Options
    nflhofnflhof Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Lord Stanley is way Cool!
  • Options
    Here are a couple more designs from Garret. These, along with 51 of their friends will be heading to PSA/DNA early next week. This new Joe Malone replaced the old one. I love how Garret was able to keep the card that it was signed on in tact and still be able to display the autograph on the front and the date on the back. There are two other autographs that I have from the same date that I will show off once I get them back from PSA. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

Damn, is that sweet. Nobody does it better.

• Options
    Forgot one.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Those are very appealing. Especially the one with the date on the back. It must be very difficult to design the cards without encroaching on the signatures.
  • Options
    edmundfitzgeraldedmundfitzgerald Posts: 4,306 ✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Anything new added to this fantastic collection?
  • Options
    Found this thread, and thought I would add these where they belong for when someone searches the "knuckles" thread...

Just received these beauties...

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Anything new added to this fantastic collection? >>

I am in the process of moving, so there hasn't been anything new made in awhile. I have acquired some more rare autographs that will eventually make their way into cards, I just have had to limit some things as we sell our house in Ohio and make our way down to Florida.

But to wet your whistle a bit, here are two that I was keeping on the down low, but I guess I can let out now. My problem with these (and a couple of others) is that they are so rare that PSA and JSA has never seen an exemplar for them, so I have been diligently trying to work with them to try to get them encapsulated. But enjoy, you may never see another autograph from these two men.

These, along with the Joe Malone above, were all signed on the day of Game 1 of the 1919 Stanley Cup. This was the year the Cup finals were canceled because of the Spanish Influenza that spread and sickened most players on each team. Joe Hall died 17 days after signing this card.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    ttt
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    I don't even know what to say... I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw those 2... those are just amazing! Where did you find the signatures? (If you care to share of course) image
  • Options

<< <i>I don't even know what to say... I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw those 2... those are just amazing! Where did you find the signatures? (If you care to share of course) image >>

Still working out deals for other autographs so I will keep the name on the down low for now. But I hopefully after this moving stuff winds down I will be able to get some of these new names to Garret to get the collection rolling again.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Georges Vezina's grandson or nephew is a big Vezina collector. I remember him buying like 50 opc vezina cards from
    the 60's and 70's from me. I'm sure he has a few neat Vezina auto's to share, plus quite a few other things as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Georges Vezina's grandson or nephew is a big Vezina collector. I remember him buying like 50 opc vezina cards from
    the 60's and 70's from me. I'm sure he has a few neat Vezina auto's to share, plus quite a few other things as well. >>

You are probably talking about A.J.? I've talked to him and it sounds like he has many great Vezina items, including one of the first two Vezina trophies given out to George Hainsworth, but no Vezina auto.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Georges Vezina's grandson or nephew is a big Vezina collector. I remember him buying like 50 opc vezina cards from
    the 60's and 70's from me. I'm sure he has a few neat Vezina auto's to share, plus quite a few other things as well. >>

I might be wrong on this, but from what I had read, even his family didn't know of any existing Vezina signatures. The one that Sean has is the only one I've ever heard about. Not that I'm a guru on deceased hockey hof'ers, but they do interest me image
  • Options
    The only example I ever heard of was in Canadian govt. records and there was an image of it in one of the old Hockey guides long ago. It's been a long time since I saw it, but that one does appear to compare favorably.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    >>

Is Vezina spelled correctly under "broderick collection" on both sides? On my screen it looks like Vexina
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

Is Vezina spelled correctly under "broderick collection" on both sides? On my screen it looks like Vexina >>

Got me scared there for a second, had to go back and look. The old style of writing does make it look sort of like an "x".
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>

Is Vezina spelled correctly under "broderick collection" on both sides? On my screen it looks like Vexina >>

It's just the font of the "z". Look closely at it and it makes more sense image

edit: oops Sean beat me too it
  • Options

<< <i>The only example I ever heard of was in Canadian govt. records and there was an image of it in one of the old Hockey guides long ago. It's been a long time since I saw it, but that one does appear to compare favorably. >>

Do you remember the name of the guide? I would love to get my hands on that.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    I'm thinking it was one of the 1st Beckett Hockey magazines in the autograph price guide section.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sean, who is the player in your avatar? I've seen that scarface photo before but never saw a name.
  • Options

<< <i>Sean, who is the player in your avatar? I've seen that scarface photo before but never saw a name. >>

That is Terry Sawchuk. It is a from a photo that was in Time Magazine.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>I'm thinking it was one of the 1st Beckett Hockey magazines in the autograph price guide section. >>

Thanks, I will see what I find.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>I'm thinking it was one of the 1st Beckett Hockey magazines in the autograph price guide section. >>

I checked the only 2 issues of Beckett hockey I had left, #1, and #8, and no auto section in there. They were pretty thin at this time though, so it may have been after that if it was in Beckett.
  • Options
    I've really enjoyed seeing these, but as a fellow autograph collector, I don't think I would be comfortable posting images of my rarest autographs in a public forum. This thread is a forgers paradise.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sean, who is the player in your avatar? I've seen that scarface photo before but never saw a name. >>

That is Terry Sawchuk. It is a from a photo that was in Time Magazine. >>

Thanks. I just Wiki'd him. Sad story that he died from a fight with a teammate.
  • Options
    "I checked the only 2 issues of Beckett hockey I had left, #1, and #8, and no auto section in there. They were pretty thin at this time though, so it may have been after that if it was in Beckett."

I remember seeing his signature in the late 1980s and am pretty sure that it wasn't in Beckett.
    It was in one of the magazines that are now defunct. Was Beckett even published before 1990?
  • Options

<< <i> Was Beckett even published before 1990? >>

First issue of Beckett hockey was 1990
  • Options
    Well it doesn't have an image of the Vezina signature, but I thought you might find this amusing. From the August 1996 issue of "Sports Cards" magazine. Looks like you overpaid on your Baker auto image

Apparently back then it was cool to just make up prices!
  • Options

<< <i>Well it doesn't have an image of the Vezina signature, but I thought you might find this amusing. From the August 1996 issue of "Sports Cards" magazine. Looks like you overpaid on your Baker auto image

Apparently back then it was cool to just make up prices! >>

Wow, I severely overpaidimage
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Well it doesn't have an image of the Vezina signature, but I thought you might find this amusing. From the August 1996 issue of "Sports Cards" magazine. Looks like you overpaid on your Baker auto image

Apparently back then it was cool to just make up prices! >>

Looks like Woody Dumart is much more sought after than Baker as well image
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Oh and the first column is supposed to be for photos, and the 2nd is for pucks. Looks like all these Hobey Baker signed pucks I have aren't worth much image
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I have never seen a Vezina autograph before. That is incredible! I believe there is a stick around somewhere
    that has his auto on it but I have never seen it. I know its one tough sig!
    Hobey Bakers auto is in the U.S. Gov't files from what I heard. He signed to join the military
    and not many more times after that.
    There use to be a guy that use to write in The Frozen Pond catalouge about autographs.
    I use to enjoy his piece alot.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, I have never seen a Vezina autograph before. That is incredible! I believe there is a stick around somewhere
    that has his auto on it but I have never seen it. I know its one tough sig!
    Hobey Bakers auto is in the U.S. Gov't files from what I heard. He signed to join the military
    and not many more times after that.
    There use to be a guy that use to write in The Frozen Pond catalouge about autographs.
    I use to enjoy his piece alot. >>

I know of the Vezina stick and where it is. I had the opportunity to buy that as well, but I was skeptical on that Vezina. The Vezina signature has similar letter styles as another autograph on the stick so I chose to stay aways.

As for Baker, I have heard that the only other one to reach the hobby besides the one I own is from his enlistment papers when he joined the Army for WWI.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Sean,

What have you heard about that big hockey auction house in Canada. I think it's called classic auctions.
    Are the autos good or shaky ?
  • Options

<< <i>Sean,

What have you heard about that big hockey auction house in Canada. I think it's called classic auctions.
    Are the autos good or shaky ? >>

I have both bought and sold through Classic and in my opinion the number 1 source for hockey memorabilia. I am sure they have made some mistakes in the past, but they are definitely people I would trust.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    I'm sure you've seen the Dave Goodman autograph collection for sale ? What do you think ?
  • Options
    How is one to know that these are legit ? Basically, I'm just taking the word of someone else, and in a somewhat corrupt business,
    isn't it just too risky to shell out the money for these things ? How have you wrestled with these thougths yourself ?

It's just not wise to just get all giddy that these things are available, and go buy them all without truly knowing that they are legit IMO.
    Have you heard about how Dave has obtained these ?
  • Options
    I've been collecting hockey autographs for more than 40 years and Dave Goodman's items look authentic to me.
  • Options

<< <i>I've been collecting hockey autographs for more than 40 years and Dave Goodman's items look authentic to me. >>

And they look good to me for the most part as well. However, did anyone ever look at all the Wayne Gretzky autos on ebay
    and through WGA ? Many of these autos look so different. I'm sure if they all looked the same then someone would scream
    auto pen too.

I'm just saying that it's so hard to tell sometimes. Ken Dryden's auto in Seans collection looks suspicious to me, and Sean may
    have had him personally sign it in front of him. 80% of the time I see the K in Ken's first name connected. Sean's K is not connected.
    However, it may very well be a legit auto. All I'm saying is that it is just so hard to tell unless it comes from a check, legal document,
    or something like the Baker, etc. etc.